Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

slap me silly posted:

Good luck with that. I worked with three different ones, not to mention housekeepers and recycling pickup and other things, and every single one of them had at least one ball they would drop.

I can't even get people to call me back! I have money to spend, people, take it! Answer my call!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

It finally happened. Just about 11 months after buying this place, we finally got hit with the Plague of Homeownership. Our A/C has been struggling to keep up with the Memphis heat this summer, only coming within 4-10 degrees of what the thermostat is set. It's been awful. Both units (we have two) are original to the house, from 2000. The company no longer exists. $4500 to replace the upstairs unit, since it's in worse shape. Ugh

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I live in a four-home HOA, and it's got to be the greatest representation for multiculturalism ever. You've got my house, where me and my Latin wife live. You've got the current HOA president, Steve, who lives with his boyfriend and some guy who's in a band and always leaves his tour van on the street. Then there's my direct neighbor, Carlton, who rents from Sylvia, who moved to Florida. Carlton is retired, and I'm 99% sure he's a swinger. Finally, we've got Carlyn and her family, middle-aged African-American attorneys and a small child.

Thankfully, the HOA by-laws stipulate that each owner is granted a voting right, not a representative from each property. Since my wife and I are both listed on the deed, we get two votes. Together we make up 66% of the architecture committee, so I could paint my house any color I want damnit.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

It's the beginning of February....at one point do we start thinking about getting the lawn/flower beds/mulch ready? Right now all the grass is basically yellow (I live in the mid-south) and the beds are nasty

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We've got an emergency fund, a medium term savings fund that would cover things like a roof replacement, new A/C or furnace, etc., and a shorter term house maintenance fund that covers all the little poo poo: batteries, yard tools, landscape supplies, lightbulbs, etc.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We've been without power since Saturday night, and it doesn't look like we'll be getting it back until Thursday at the earliest. We've been surviving on take-out and cell phone lights, but it's getting old. Plus, it's getting hot out. Upstairs was at 85 degrees, and downstairs 77. Any ideas on cheap-ish lighting and cooling options?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Tree chat: gently caress trees anywhere near power lines. We had a storm that brought along a derecho (or three) on 5/27. I JUST got power back this morning, 202 hours after losing it. I was going to trim the trees along the fence that are technically my neighbors (the power lines also run along that fence, and the trees are intertwined with the lines now), but now I'm thinking we need to fully remove them. If they ever fall, they will first take out power, and then take out my house.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Cross-post from Home Zone thread in DIY

OK I'm going crazy here. On one wall in my house I have three regular-size wall plates that are blank, and a double-size blank. I opened them up and they all have the same wires in them: grey coating with a red, black (each with copper inside) wires and some sort of string. Voltage tester shows nothing. The wires have about 12" of length stuffed inside each box. Here's a picture: http://imgur.com/a/KXwgx

Any idea what these are? I thought maybe speaker wire or something but no idea where they'd go. Telephone lines make no sense, and they're not wired to take an outlet. I had hoped they would be runs of Cat5e but no dice there.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Christobevii3 posted:

What should I do first once I close on my house?

Walk around naked in it

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

H110Hawk posted:

The jackets aren't printed with anything? Maybe stick a battery on one and see if you get a reading anywhere else with a multi-meter? Looks like heavy gauge speaker or intercom wiring.

Based on their location, I'd assume speaker lines.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone got a quick indoor camera recommendation? We're leaving our new house for ten days and I'd like to be able to keep an eye on things when we're not here. Nest cams seem good, but $10/month or $100/year seems a bit steep. Wyze has a nearly too-good-to-be-true price, $26/camera.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Cross-posting from Fix It Fast thread...

I'm trying to install some blinds. The lower level of my house is drywall over concrete block (cinder blocks?). The blinds came with 1 1/2" #8 wood screws, which won't work. I got some 3/16" Tapcons at 2 1/4". I used the supplied 5/32" bit, and the screws seem to just spin in, like the hole was too big. Obviously they're not holding super awesome. Is the bit the wrong size? Do I need to use something else?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

PitViper posted:

Surely there has to be a gap between the drywall and the concrete block, at least an inch or two for furring strips? Id' probably use some sort of drywall anchor and shorter screws that would be long enough to grab the anchor, but not long enough to hit the concrete.

I'm a huge fan of these for drywall, they're great for things that need a bit more grab like blinds, towel bars, etc.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-20-Pack-Assorted-Length-x-5-16-in-Dia-Standard-Drywall-Anchor-Screws-Included/3183871

Otherwise if you have to anchor directly to concrete, I've used these with decent success, but mostly for lighter things. They'll probably be marginal for blinds.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Bender-100-Pack-Concrete-Anchors-Drill-Bit-Included/4638929

There is a slight gap, yes, but I don't even think it's an inch (here's a photo of where I'm doing it: https://imgur.com/a/mye4GIw).

The drywall anchors might work, but now I'm worried about the holes I've already drilled....they used a 5/32" bit and the Tapcons themselves are 3/16", would there be a problem using the Toggler pack?

The other option seems too short, if they have a longer version that would likely work

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

PitViper posted:

I just grabbed one to measure, and you'd need an inch and a half from the outer face of the drywall for the togglers to "pop" the wings out once you tap them in. Plus obviously no hard insulation, fiberglass batts would be ok, but not any sort of foam.

Otherwise a slightly bigger tapcon may work as mentioned, but that depends on how your blinds are mounted I suppose. And assuming the hole isn't too messed up, I've never tried tapcons into cinder block, only poured concrete.

I drilled another hole, it seems like there’s about an inch and a half between the drywall and the concrete, so I’ll try those. They’ll be useful for other stuff anyway. I’ll let y’all know how they work out.

For now, I told my mom to just leave them as he, don’t pull on the chords

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We just had our escrow analysis done after buying our home in April 2019. Apparently we had an overage....a significant overage. $4550 worth of overage.

Good lord, Chase.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

They thought property taxes would be a full amount, but they were only $1400. Next year it'll be $5800, which perfectly aligns with our escrow payments

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

But if you go with switches, the switch doesn't lose it's functionality. When I used some smart bulbs, the switch always had to be in the On position to do anything with the app/voice command/etc. Drove my wife so nuts she couldn't turn things on with a switch, we swapped them out for regular bulbs.

Our new house came with two Leviton smart switches, and we want more. I can use an app, set a routine, use Google Home, or flip the switch.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm 10 months into a 30 year @ 4.125%. If this get to 3 or lower I'm jumping into a refi

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I think Bankrate is broken; it's showing me anywhere from 4.5% to nearly 6% for their "Featured" lenders, and in the low-mid 3s for the others. Better.com shows me 3.335%

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Sigh...

We live in a one year old house, and they're building the three houses that back up to our property line. We had a fencing company out to give us a quote, and he realized that our property line extends further out than what the builder built to. The silt fence is on our property by 1-2", which has caused the irrigation subs to install the lines and heads on our property as well.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

devmd01 posted:

Lawyer time! Or just go the route of getting a survey marked up, then trash anything on your side of the line....but that course is probably not recommended.

Yeah we are jumping in this to get it fixed. We want the fence in as soon as possible and now need to wait.

Dik Hz posted:

Call them up and tell them. It'll be a lot easier and cheaper now than it will be at any point in the future. Also, I'm assuming 1-2 feet, right? 1-2" is inches.

Sorry yes, one to two feet. I called the office and they’re sending the project manager out to look. Unfortunately the sod was installed this morning. I went out and measured and sure enough, sprinkler heads are on our side. The fence guy couldn’t find the corner marker, he thinks it was either never placed or is now under the sidewalk they installed. He found the others and with his measuring wheel realized how off it was and showed us. He said this is not an uncommon occurrence

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

A guy in my neighborhood quoted me $250 to install 24 sq. ft. of backsplash. That seems...ridiculously low, right? I'm in central Florida, and we figured the labor would be closer to $500-$750

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

H110Hawk posted:

What are we talking here? A guy and a tube of construction adhesive can slap up a backsplash on an empty-enough space in under a day.

Honestly not sure yet. He's a handyman who lives in our neighborhood that was recommended by some people.

I'm going to reach out to some tile installers and see where they're at

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The handyman said it would take 2-3 hours to do the backsplash. That seems........disturbingly fast.

Hopefully I feel more comfortable with other tile people

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

loving hell...

Our fence was scheduled for installation tomorrow. They just called and cancelled the installation, saying they found out the materials are on backorder. No estimate on when they'll be available again. How the gently caress do you JUST find our that materials you need to install TOMORROW are on backorder and not available?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hahaha, good luck. Took me about four months to get all my vinyl fence materials.

What kind of fence are you putting in? My neighbors were able to get wood just fine, but vinyl and other materials have had a huge backlog between manufacturing shutdowns from covid and everyone being at home wanting to put fencing in.

If it’s any consolation I’m sure the installer is livid since they just lost a day of work too. Or they got a bigger and better contract and you’re on the backburner for when they have availability

That was my first thought, but our lot is much bigger than most homes in the area so our fence is way more expensive.

We are doing a vinyl privacy fence. Around here you can only do vinyl privacy, or black aluminum. So I guess their business is pretty much screwed for awhile...

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hey, we signed a contract for a fence in August and are still waiting. It's nuts out there...

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Three weeks and counting past our fence installation date, and no end in sight. I called some other fence contractors and they said the same thing: finding materials is drat near impossible. Some had inventory, and one of my rear neighbors will end up with his before me, even though I started the process months before him. Bastard.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

ScooterMcTiny posted:

We just got black out cordless blinds for my kid’s room on SelectBlinds and they are totally fine. Measured the windows, put the sizes in, and the fit is perfect. I get the impression most of the Blind websites are all pretty much the same.

Can confirm, we've ordered from SelectBlinds and Blinds.com, it's pretty much all the same at this point

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Speaking of solar and Tesla, anyone have experience with their Powerwall

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Ugh. We have a Timberlake double wastebasket drawer in our kitchen, and the unit has someone come apart from the slides (which still work perfectly fine). It cannot seem to go back on, and it's driving us crazy. The mechanism just doesn't seem to work. Anyone have a recommendation on soft-close undermount slides?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Oh nice, our mortgage serviced failed to pay our homeowners insurance policy late and so our policy was cancelled

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Yeah I spoke to the serviced, they said the insurance company originally sent the info to the wrong company, and they had to request it, which meant they got it late and paid it right away. They gave me the check number in case I needed it. It was due 4/30, the serviced got the info on 5/1, paid it 5/3

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My most recent interaction with my HOA:

Me: Here's my Architectural Review Board application for landscaping in the backyard.
HOA: You failed to include the site survey, materials list, contractor info, etc.
Me: My bad, here's a sketch my wife did with a ballpoint pen in two seconds
HOA: Thanks, approved!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm about to lose my poo poo. We have a fence with two gates around our backyard. We failed our safety inspection for our pool because they didn't fully self-close. So we had the company come out and fix them, in one case adding a third spring hinge to ensure it closed. Inspector comes back today, passes us but says we will fail the final inspection because one of the gates doesn't truly close, possibly because it's too low. So the wife and I go out there, open the gate as wide as it can and one of the hinge pins flies out and now the gate won't even latch closed. We go to the other gate, which worked perfectly, and the one of the hinge 'pins' (actually a screw) snaps in half, leaving part of it inside the tension spring.
'

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

Most of the choices in this range should have good lighting and stainless steel filters that can be put in a dishwasher

Just remember to take off the plastic around the edges of the filters before putting them in the dishwasher......

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

lol this sounds like something someone learned the hard way.

Thankfully it wasn't too bad, but definitely made a bit of a mess. Crazy part was the plastic came out blue, and it sure didn't go in that color

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone else have like 4"x5" gutter downspouts? I can't seem to find any extensions that fit this size to divert the water and prevent it from creating big divots near the house

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

That's likely what I'll end up with, at least in a few places, but won't quite work for a few areas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Real question, no snark: given how much you've spent and how you didn't want one in the first place, did you consider just filling it in?