Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is the washer I finally caved and bought:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elec...00HWA/312439700

No reviews as it has yet to be delivered though

Crazy this is the exact same washer I pulled the trigger on today for my new house. It had good reviews at Best Buy at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

tater_salad posted:

Sadly no kill traps are kind of an issue becuase well.. where do the mice go after they've been captured.. are you going to take them in your car and drive them out to the country to go live on a farm? Are you going to trap them, then release them in your backyard for them to be like.. Oh okay back into the house again?

Clearly the answer is to release them in your least favorite neighbor's yard.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Not sure if anyone can answer this or not but I just bought my first house in late November of 2020. My first mortgage payment was in Jan 2021. I literally have 0 idea how anything financing wise tax wise etc... works with home ownership and it's a little overwhelming for me. I JUST learned how escrow works on a basic level hah so be gentle.

This will be the first year I've done taxes any other way than just the basic simple tax method. I'm curious how much buying a house in 2020 but not actually making a payment until 2021 will alter/mess with my taxes this year. Does anyone have a clue that a 5 year old could understand? It was a standard loan with a 3% down payment so there is mortgage insurance.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

KS posted:

Tax-wise, depending on the size of the mortgage you will potentially have enough deductible interest in 2021 that when you combine it with your local tax bill it will make sense to itemize deductions rather than take the ~12k standard deduction. It likely won't change much for 2020. Your mortgage provider will send you a 1098 form outlining deductible interest if it's over $600, so then you just weigh itemized deductions vs. the standard to determine what's bigger.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Just to elaborate a bit on the post above me:

In most situations your first mortgage payment would be in January because you pre-paid December when you closed in November (plus pro-rated payment for the remainder of November). So you would technically have just over one months worth of mortgage interest in 2020, which is generally what is deductible.

Yeah I got the form and I don't think it's that much I'll have to double check. Thanks guys, I can probably delay my anxiety until next year! :)

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
So I moved in to a new house in November, now that the weather is nice I want to get this basketball hoop "up and running". Do I need to replace the rim too and get a combo? Or can I buy just a backboard? Is the mount standard? Sorry I know jack and poo poo about stuff like that ha

Thanks for any help/advice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

CarForumPoster posted:

FWIW IDk poo poo about basketball but it seems to me that so long as youre rim is round and perpendicular, lookms like you just need a backboard. Here are the dimensions of a backboard https://www.dimensions.com/element/basketball-backboards I'd imagine you can cut one out of plywood and paint it and itll be good enough for general fun purposes.

I appreciate the DIY, but I'd like to actually have a legit backboard.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

AHH F/UGH posted:

In Japan, if someone dies in an apartment or a house it's basically perma-hosed. The people there are extremely wary of those homes and wouldn't live in them if you gave them to them for free. There are a few select people who realize it doesn't really matter usually, but like 98%+ of the population would never live in a house where someone had died.

So you're saying if I'm interested in moving to Japan this is a good discount method? Do they have like... RinguZillow.com or something catered to people who wouldn't care like myself?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Any recommendations for Fall lawn care for a yard with a million trees and endless leaves? Mulching mower, super leaf blower, both, neither etc...? We have a massive oak tree in the back and a bunch more in front and back which we completely underestimated. I'm a lazy bastard.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm in a similar situation and the best solution for me was getting the EGO SelectCut mower that has a double blade for lifting and mulching and the EGO leaf blower. The mower mulches pretty well and makes quick work of leaves over the yard. Other than the corners of the fence and some nooks and crannies, I don't really have to leaf blow much which is a huge time saver. My first year in this house I blew all the leaves into a giant pile and then mulched them with the vacuum setting of my old leaf blower. It took hours and hours. Mowing once in a while is way more effective and time efficient. The one thing I would change to make my setup better would be to somehow get a bigger bag for the mower so that I'm not emptying the bag as often.

Another option that is even better but cost prohibitive would be a Billy Goat Leaf Vacuum. They work incredibly well. They suck up more leaves, mulch them better, and have a bigger bag than any lawn mower. However, they are like $1,000 starting out. I had a coworker who had a similar leaf problem and he ended up going that route and had no regrets.

Thanks man, that Billy goat is expensive but I'd certainly consider it. Maybe a good mulching mower is my best bet.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Well that's mine for sure.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so apologies if not.

I bought my house just over a year ago, and it has an inground basketball pole. Currently there is a backboard-less rim/frame. I'm thinking this was put in years ago, the backboard broke and the P.O. never did anything with it. They had a portable one when I was looking at the house. I did some research and I'm probably not going to be able to find the proper backboard to replace it with due to it's age so I just want to outright replace the board/rim with something new. It's been painted over so many times I don't think I'm going to find a make/model etc...

I don't want to build my own, no matter how many people tell me it's easy etc... I'm not interested. Does any one have any experience with this? I feel dumb in that it looks like it should be easy, but the more I look the more confused I get. It's an 8 ft pole I'm fairly certain.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

StormDrain posted:

The mounting looks pretty similar to the Spalding backboard. You might have a better shot of getting an entirely new bracket with a hoop though.

Thats exactly what I'm looking to do I think. I just don't know if there are any details I'll need. Trying to find one that looks like that (that goes up, not even with the pole) seems...hard to find? I'm not sure if I shbould be shopping somewhere specific.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

StormDrain posted:

I'd expect a sporting goods store might have something like that. Professionally I've used BSN sports but they may be too expensive for home use. Or not! Idk maybe you're a baller!

Thanks yeah that would be a little above my pay grade. :) I figured I'd be spending some dough, but I'm thinking like half that.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Hadlock posted:

Literally just measure the frame, then get a piece of 1/2" plywood from the hardware store and they'll cut it for free to those dimensions. Then splat some 3M 5200 on the frame and zip tie plywood to the frame with the 5200 adhesive sandwiched in between and stand it back up the next day

If you don't want to do it I'm sure a task rabbit handyman can do this in under an hour, maybe 1:15 if you want them to paint the wood too

I mean literally in the first sentence of the post I say I'm not interested in doing it myself, but thanks for the suggestion I guess?

Thanks to everyone else's pointers, it's good to know there's not one definitive solution that I'm being dumb about. I just want something more official than a quick solution.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Inner Light posted:

Part of me is resisting the change to a quieter fan because a louder one covers up noises for those who are pee shy! :lol:

No lie our master bathroom is semi loud and annoying. Mid giant poo poo I was like...that might be on purpose so the people in bed don't have to hear one another taking a particularly loud dump.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
This is a pretty good time to ask about Groundhog removal. We have a family of groundhogs that have inhabited beneath our deck. We need to get rid of them for good before they damage our poo poo more than I already have to assume they have. My wife prefers a humane trap/release, personally I don't give a poo poo but I would like to honor her wishes. Is this something that I should just ask for on local social media for pricing/assistance? I'm thinking that's best but wanted to check in with fellow goons for sanity purposes. I can't honestly see myself doing the trapping/releasing so it would be hiring someone for sure.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
I bought an LG electric dryer in December of 2022 (DLEX4200w) that recently stopped heating up when doing a cycle.

I have a couple questions since I have 0 (ZERO) experience or mechanical aptitude. :)

1) Is there some kind of standard manufacturers warranty? (1yr or more?)

2) Since I totally suck at maintenance, is this something I'd call a repair guy to assist with? Or is there some super easy "even a child could do it" recommendations?

Thanks in advance guys

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
hahah you know the sad thing? I consciously was trying to prevent me from using this year and still loving did it. Unfortunately it's from 2020, so that would probably put it out from warranty.

H110Hawk posted:

It doesn't work because it's not the future yet. :colbert:

H110Hawk posted:

It doesn't work because it's not the future yet. :colbert:

Hadlock posted:

Time traveler spotted

How do you know their appliance exists in December, and why are you keeping tabs on it. Is this like that eyeball from umbrella academy

Good to know the world doesn't end until after Thanksgiving

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Johnny Truant posted:

What kind of toilet is this thing, lol

Oh come on, we all know what it is....

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
I have a Samsung range that the PO's had when we bought the house in 2020. Not too long ago the oven stopped heating up, or only getting to a certain temp and then crapping out. Doing some online research I decided to try to replace the ignitor which I read could cause these things.

Well that hit a speed bump because one of the screws holding in the part the ignitor screws into is completely immovable. Other people had the same issue and had to either cut the screw out or dremel the screw to use a different tool to get it out. I don't have the knowledge or the tools to do that poo poo.

Has anyone had a similar problem with a more manageable solution for a mechanical idiot?

If I end up having to replace the oven, is there a guaranteed winner similar to the Bosch dishwasher? :)

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Motronic posted:

This is likely what will work: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Hand-Impact-Tool/dp/B0002NYDRG Potentially just a better screwdriver/correct size screwdriver would work as well. I've found that most people don't actually know how phillips screws are supposed to work and destroy them using drivers that are too small or simply worn out.

But I fail to see how an ignitor would cause that behavior. Unless it's responsible for more than being an ignitor it sounds like you're after the wrong thing. (I am not familiar with that model)

Well I'm certainly no handy-man so all I had was my google-fu skills. I found a lot of articles like this:

https://www.davesmithappliance.com/samsung-oven-not-heating/

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Motronic posted:

So the ignitor is also the gas valve - that changes things. Like I said, not familiar with those models. With that information it sounds more plausible.

Thanks man, I have that tool heading my way and I'll give it a shot.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Lol :drat: justice is swift in this thread.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Wrong thread, disregard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How big is that? Would it fit in a crawlspace?

The last picture has a person next to it, you may be able to judge size from it.

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 17, 2024