Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Johnny Truant posted:

Is there a recommended paint brand that goons gravitate towards? We got a bunch of swatches from Behr because... they had a big display of them at Home Depot, lol.

Additionally, recs for primer paints? I can think of at least two rooms we're going to change from light blue/grey, whatever the really common house seeing colour is, to much darker shades. Are tinted primers recommended, as well?

Basically, I've watched one video on how to paint, like technique, but know nothing about... any of the rest of the process. :derp:

I did 3 bedrooms with PPG timeless. Would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

so the yellow is the previous owner's work (and these photos are VERY flattering, it looked ugh in person and stank like animal poo poo)

i went to 3 off gray walls and a dark blue accent wall, plus new carpet:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

PageMaster posted:

What's the best way to clean a house or room to live in after a lot of dust generating work is done? Things like drywall, pulling and cutting tile, sanding floors level, etc? Going to wipe down all surfaces and vacuum, but also need to get the HVAC started up again. Can I just run the fan with some HEPA/MERV filters for a couple hours/days and get ready to replace the filter quick?

also asking this for when i have my windows all replaced

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zarin posted:

I've actually always wondered how to tell if a wall is load-bearing or not . . . if anyone has any advice on that, I'd be happy to know!

There's an entire field of study devoted to this question.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

crossposted, but

stupid previous owner! The bathrooms don't go in the attic!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

PageMaster posted:

Ordered a new retrofit patio door, and oops, measured poorly. Fortunately(?) It's too small, but not sure what my options are. Door installer said they could make it work buy I'm not so sure:

Header/studs are all fine, just wondering if I have any options or can throw plywood shims in the space, fill with expanding foam and resize trim or need to eat the cost of a new door...

isn't shim + foam very common? i dunno much about doors but i thought that's just how it's done.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

GEMorris posted:

Turns out my security system including smoke detectors is still active and testing it called the fire department. Wooo!

Hey! This thread is for complaining about things that DON'T work.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i said i'd never buy a house with a pool.
i SAID i'd never buy a house with a pool.

and yet here we are.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

they say this won't take long to fix.

and i have politely explained to the man that this is the last money he's getting out of me, so if the pool continues to lose water after having the drain and beam redone either he will be fixing it gratis or i will be finding someone else.

stupid pool has cost me $11,000 since i moved in. though a good chunk of that was i chose to redo all the filter equipment with cutting edge stuff and a salt cell.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Is owning an in-ground pool basically like owning a boat (except without the handy "Break Out Another Thousand" acronym for the joke)?

the house is a metaphorical hole in the ground i throw money into

the pool is far more literal.

but it should be fine after this. should be.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Omne posted:

Real question, no snark: given how much you've spent and how you didn't want one in the first place, did you consider just filling it in?

nah, i liked it once i had it. it's good to hang around in and drink with friends on the weekends.

hence my choice to significantly upgrade the filter and chlorine system.

i'm coming around to it, but this leak repair has been a pain in the rear end. much like a boat, the best pool is someone else's.

edit:
but it wasn't until i was floating around on an inner tube with a whiskey sour in my hand that i looked at the house and finally felt like it was all mine.

"it's technically the bank's!" "shut up, brain."

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Was the filter and chlorine upgrade the cause of the current problem?

No, it was just getting old, the pump started to screech a bit.

This was a leak in the tile line.

Which it turns out the previous owner had put over another tile line as a patch.

So now I'm resurfacing my pool.

gently caress.

Motronic posted:

You are aware you have to re-plaster gunnite pools every 7-10 year, right? This wasn't done, which is why it looks the way it looks and leaks. It's an ongoing expense, just like the chemicals and upkeep of the mechanicals.

hey, guess what I agreed to do today!

also i've lived here 6 months get off my back :(

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

My point is, and why I responded to your post, that is will not be "fine after this", it's an ongoing maintenance pit and it wasn't clear if you were aware of this particular part of it. It's a very significant expense and if you don't do it before it needs doing you risk damaging things and increasing the bill.

then i will set a time for 7-10 years to do this again.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

you want someone coming in and stealing your baseboards?

i don't think so!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i hire things out i _could_ do if doing it would take twice as long, look half as good, and not come with a warranty or at least a face i can punch if poo poo falls apart

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

So my PO put staples into the wall then primed and painted over them, very poorly. When I pull one out, this happens:

That should just be filled with a bit of drywall compound then sanded, right before I paint, yeah?

that's what i'd do

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

You can call you water company had they will shut it off at the street.

This reminds me, shouldn't there be a widget i can turn at the street to shut my water off using a curb key? I'm not sure if i just need to dig down, but I found both my meters and no shutoffs.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Inner Light posted:

Though I live in one I realized something obvious that I dislike about condos. With a condo HOA, you are forced to pay every month for planned large expenses like a roof. When you own a SFH, ostensibly you should be putting money away every month or year for the same.

When you sell the condo, you get to take none of that money with you. However with a SFH, you don't have a reserve attached to the property, so you get to take all of the savings you've accumulated with you.

Anything creative I can do with the HD ones I bought? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-De...59244/308038103

It has pull chains, and no wall switch included. The wall switch wired to it is just on/off like you'd expect. I think the most I can do is install a smart wall switch, but that wouldn't let me toggle the fan speed or light separately.

is 3/4/5 blade an aesthetic choice these days, or do they move different amounts of air?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

the pressure washer has officially usurped the leaf blower as #1 tool that feels like it can solve any problem

dirty porch? pressure washer.

dirty fence? pressure washer.

annoying neighbor kid? pressure washer.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

please knock Mom! posted:

Just don’t use it as a bidet

i'll excavate what i please, thank you very much.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Upgrade posted:

What is the name of the part on blinds that raises and lowers them, and how easy is it to replace? Previous owner decided to remove them all :gasp:

Day 1 of home ownership :D

You should call your realtor and demand they be returned

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Tbh I'd make a huge fuss just to be a dick but I'd also buy new blinds

Signed the guy who replaced all his blinds

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Your wife has interesting opinions about talking to neighbors

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ooh that lawn guy is going to pay

also i cut myself on the poopy pipe loving with it, so that was a fun run inside to the disinfectant soap

nah he said hed fix it

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Mine is in a mulch bed so you can’t mow it unless you really are loving around

This one is up near my flower bed, so I think one of his guys just stepped on it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

obviously you leave the back of the toilet uncaulked becase it's a motherfucker to get to.

signed: the toilet i just recaulked

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

lolol

(also, how could anyone NOT want a towel warmer? It can only be people who haven't experienced one.)

buddy i live in florida, i do not want an anything warmer

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Upgrade posted:

Stupid loving fridge is leaking, reservoir for the water dispenser is cracked. I love home ownership.

Also any recs for a electric leaf blower? Would like to spend $200ish or less. Do not have a battery system currently so would need to buy a battery. Planning on grabbing something on Black Friday.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-Rapid-Optimum-Charger-Starter-Pack-BL1840BDC2/310377140

HD has a special, 180 for 2 batteries and a free tool, which can be a leaf blower that i use and like.

i think there's a dewalt special too

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Do we have a consensus on the best dishwasher in tyool 2022? My old GE has finally started costing me more time/parts than I care to put into it.

Or should I just lay my tax refund dick on the table and get a bosch 800?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 6, 2022

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Look in your heart, rap sheet.

This is probably a really good burn but I don't get it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

looks like i'm gonna get an 800 series delivered then. just checking.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Lowes claims they can have it to me on wednesday, i am skeptical but we will see.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

There are many Wednesdays

I canceled that after an immediate delay. Saturday, from Best Buy, I'm told.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Beef Of Ages posted:

I replaced the shower head in our master bathroom today. It took five minutes, zero trips to the hardware store (as I already had teflon tape) and works perfectly with no leaks.

Because this is ostensibly such an easy thing to do, I'm at a cross between :smug: (supreme homeowner smugness in that everything worked the first time without a bunch of horseshit) and :stare: (it went too well something is going to explode the end is nigh hail satan).

if you didnt have to go behind the wall, your problem was on par with an oil change.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Is there a thread opinion on ranges like there is for dishwashers? Gas is not an option, so I assume I am stuck with induction models.

if you have the means, i recently installed and recommend a bosch 800

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Magicaljesus posted:

Does anyone have Bosch in stock? Probably worth the wait if you can. I was told a few months ago that delivery was like 4-6 months. I ended up going with an LG. It works fine and is pretty good for the price, but I wouldn't buy it again and am glad it's being sold with my house. All sounds (timer, pre-heat, door open, etc) are sing-songy and drive me insane. Similar to the LG washer/dryer I have, which are great (audio can be disabled). Audio is something you often can't test in the showroom, but definitely worth investigating pre-purchase.

edit: it looks like that Bosch is literally in stock now. I guess supply for some items has improved.

I got my bosch from best buy within 3 days fwiw.

Also its tones are volume configurable and 3 basic non-annoying beeps.

Meanwhile my samsung dryer in the garage plays a whole rear end loving song. I'll get an LG set eventually, these ones came with the house and are not great.

LG frontloader is Would Recommend, then?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

maybe i'll just get a top loader with no agitator then

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

brugroffil posted:

My Makita battery charger can play a variety of classical music, it owns. Pretty sure it's set to Fur Elise right now.

well this one i understand the logic of, it's so you can tell your batteries being done compared to the guy next to you.

my dryer does not have that problem

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i am concerned that there is no middle ground between "frontloaders are the way and the light" and "they develop mold if you so much as make a noise in the same room"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

maybe i'll just get a top loader with no agitator.