Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Does it have anywhere to drain to? If you're in a local depression the best thing you can do is dig a trench and run a drainage pipe out to a lower elevation.

I actually do have a couple of outdoor drains into the sewer that are inexplicably in my garden, so that's probably where it should go.

Hooray for having a century old home that's grandfathered into dumping storm water into the sanitary sewer, I guess. The challenge is how to get the water in the yard over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

House drains into the sewer. House gutters also drain right into the sewer. Nothing from the house itself makes its way into the yard, at least it shouldn't be.

For the curious, in old Chicago homes this is more or less by design. There's a little thing in my back yard called a catch basin that holds a bunch of scum until each rainstorm, which then the water from the storm flushes the scum out into the municipal sewer. At least that's my understanding of it.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm also pretty sure that and the service arm are probably one of Sears last remaining profitable assets, they'll likely sell it and it'll live on.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Pickle surprise!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

raccoons are pretty uncommon in my area. Rats are the real problem.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah the number of cats + 1 rule really only comes into play if you have more than one cat or are super lazy about cleaning them.

Personally I have one box for two cats and have no problems but that's mostly luck I guess. :shrug:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The rule, as I've heard it, is that you have to get to the original specified point in time on the loan where you would have paid 20% on the amortization table. Otherwise you have to refinance.

That depends on your lender's terms. Mine will drop PMI as soon as I hit 20% LTV - but only if I ask them to. If I hit it through payments that's the end, if it's through appreciation I'll have to pay for an appraisal.

Otherwise they'll stick to the schedule.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Buca di Bepis posted:

Are combination utility sinks/vanities much of a thing? I found a couple on Wayfair but they don't seem too common elsewhere. Is it a dumb idea to get one to put in a 1 3/4 bath + washroom in the basement?

That sounds like an application for a vintage farmhouse sink to me.

Start hittin up estate sales.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

WarMECH posted:

Gas mowers are noisy and smell bad. I like my Ryobi 40V mower. And the batteries fit my blower and trimmer so I have absolutely no gas/oil in my garage.

Pretty much this. Also I fill up my car like six times a year, getting gas for my mower would be going out of my way.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah there's no getting rid of that poo poo. My house had a clump of it and a year and a half after digging it up I keep finding shoots managing to come back. Everything I've read says I'll be finding it and killing it for the next five years until it finally starves itself.

Unless you can get your local municipality to put pressure on them, the best option is going to be cutting it back to your property line and driving an impermeable barrier between the bamboo and your yard. Thankfully bamboo rarely seeds, so if you can cut it back and contain it it won't spread any farther.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I live in Chicago, so my clump has survived multiple hard frosts. And everything I read indicated that pouring concrete over it is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

It won't.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Yup. If you can figure out how to cut energy consumption you'll save more money than moving to solar generation.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

If someone mowed my weeds grass for me I'd be ecstatic.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

HF's respirators are legit. They sell them as disposable, but o'reilly auto parts will special order you a box of replacement filters for $12 (the brand is apparently really popular in the auto body community)

Most of the rest of the stuff they sell is pretty trash though, but $200 will get you a trunk load of tools to get started.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Oh, poo poo, yeah, forgot about the HF multifunction ladder. It's built by Vulcan and also really good. Heavy as poo poo but I'd trust it for anything.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

If anyone wants to go into this rabbit hole of crazy, the upscale white Chicago suburb of Naperville has some amazingly nutter residents, and here's their website: http://www.napervillesmartmeterawareness.org

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Yep, we bought an ex-rental too. We went through so much cleaning spray with bleach and gloves during our first week of ownership. We moved into the upper apartment, the lower is a huge mess of deferred maintenance that we’re catching up on in between uncovering more of it as we gut the drywall and plaster. At least we didn’t clean that one as much as just take everything and toss it in the trash.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Boomer dad: dreamin about a zero-turn-radius ride-on lawnmower

Millennial dad:

Elephanthead posted:

Dreamin about those Toto washlets 500s.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

loving joys of homeownership my furnace isn't transitioning from the initial test airflow stage to the "fire" stage. It's going to get down to 32f here tonight and my fragile Los Angeles skin cannot take the bitter cold.

My rugged Chicago skin insists your pipes won’t freeze and to grab a few more blankets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Rip up your grass and replace it with clover.