Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I did, but he apparently didn't do a very good job. My induced draft assembly is leaking condensation and starting to corrode the metal panel below it, and if we hadn't caught it now, it probably would have dumped water all over the circuitry within a year.

When will those fatcats let us catch a break!!

Sounds to me like the HVAC guy did catch a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

I've got a chimney sweep coming over today. Do I need to cover my brand new beige couch with something? It's right by the fireplace and kinda making me nervous.

Do you have an au pair or nanny? If so, I think couch covering is the least of your concerns. Keep an eye out for penguins and carousel horses.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

A Mary Poppins joke? Nice.

I am nothing if not 50 years out of date.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

I was genuinely confused for a second, as I've never seen the movie.

:sigh: Kids these days... if I had a lawn, I'd tell you to get off it. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shyfted One posted:

Had our car stolen out of our driveway last night. We actually managed to get it back with only losing 1 car seat, which is stupidly lucky. But now I definitely want to put a security light above our garage door. A Ring floodlight is really appealing, but not a fan of whatever Amazon does with the info they get from the camera. Is there a good alternative or is Ring really just that much more convenient?

I don't have any recommendations for security cameras, but I just wanted to add to check the laws / municipality codes for cameras before installing it. Different places have different rules about what is allowed to be recorded. As an example, a court ruling out here a few years ago established that if your camera can see anything that would constitute someone else's private property (e.g., inside their garage while the door is open or in a window if their blinds aren't drawn) that it's an illegal camera. Other places may have rules about recording public sidewalks, neighbors' lawns even if not fenced (Ridgewood, NJ had that one; no recording any portion of a neighbor's property, even if not fenced) etc. Just check your local regulations first before you put one up.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hawkeye posted:

Where I’m at there are houses with a pull-in driveway but no garage so that may not always be an option.

Probably not in his case, given he says he's putting the camera on the garage.

quote:

But now I definitely want to put a security light above our garage door. A Ring floodlight is really appealing, but not a fan of whatever Amazon does with the info they get from the camera. Is there a good alternative or is Ring really just that much more convenient?

Could be another car in the garage, a home gym, a "bonus room" or maybe it's his personal sex dungeon. :shrug: Who knows why the car can't go in the garage, but I'm betting it's not sitting there empty while he parks on the driveway.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Have you considered filling your crawlspace with feral cats?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

What is condo ownership like in comparison to owning and maintaining an entire house? Easier, or about the same? I’ve considered working towards owning my own place, but I recognize that an entire house is hard to take care of, and I’m only one person, so maybe a condo would be a better fit for me. Not that I’m anywhere near even thinking about getting one.

It depends on the HOA and what your dues cover. Condos will pretty much always have a HOA of some sort because at bare minimum, you share walls and a roof. Many (I don't want to say "most" because I honestly don't know) condos will cover all external unit maintenance and grounds maintenance. Some will cover fire suppression systems, etc, in order to ensure that the damage to everyone else is minimized after you catch your unit on fire. Some will tell you to go gently caress yourself and that you should pay for everything.

My experience (N=1, Condo N=1 also) is that it's easier than taking care of a house, but that you have fewer customization and personalization options than a SFH in a non-HOA neighborhood / development. The worst of both worlds is owning a SFH in a mixed-development HOA (condos and houses, both in HOA scope) because then you can't do poo poo AND you are responsible for your external structure. My condo is structurally covered by the HOA, up to the interior walls / finishes where they magically become mine. The slab and foundation, roof, plumbing from the road to sewer main, etc etc, is all their responsibility. The cracks in my exterior stucco are theirs to fix. It's a nice compromise for now, especially given the average home in my budget in this area was actually just a super-huge, disguised termite nest.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

The most dangerous part is getting up on a ladder. Get the ones with the 10 year integrated battery!

How do I change my ladder’s battery if my ladder is out of battery?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The new title is fabulous.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Imagine three switches on the edge of a cliff in my entrance hallway:

If the stair light is on and the entry light is off, turning on the porch light works.
If the stair light is off and the entry light is on, turning on the porch light works.
If both stairs and entry are on, turning on the porch light doesn't work.
If the porch light is flipped to on (even if it doesn't work) and you turn off one of the other two that are on, the porch light turns on.
If the porch light is already on and you turn on the other two, the porch light stays on and the others work too.
If you turn off the porch light from that state and then try to turn it back on, it won't turn on until you turn off one of the other two.

Now I just need to figure out how to get this cabbage and goat across the river and I'll finally have my electrical problems sorted.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Try a single photon and see if you can observe quantum splitting.

:lol:

I'm honestly scared to try and fix this. I just know I'm gonna open up that socket plate and see something beyond mortal comprehension. Eldritch wiring, its tentacles spreading in dimensions I cannot fathom.

Or more likely, I'll see the porch light tied into a circuit board that makes no sense and has no reason to exist, and I'll screw it all back up and pretend the whole sorry affair never happened.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

StormDrain posted:

I need photos of it. I have to know what's inside. Is it a three and a four way switch? There has to be a switched neutral here backfeeding something right?

Pardon the terrible photo - it's late at night and I didn't want to risk having to put together more than I was bargaining for at 11PM. I'll disassemble it more clearly for the DIY thread and cross-post when it's daylight and I won't hate myself when it all goes sideways. :downs:

There are three switches -- two 4-way dimmers and one 3-way (porch light, far right). The leftmost dimmer only has two terminals connected, while the middle has three connected but one doesn't actually go anywhere. (Refer to the floating red/yellow. :shrug:) The porch light is the three-way on the right with all terminals connected. In the back, you can just make out where the Stranger Things mindflayer is building a new conduit into our world.

Also present: multiple layers of the shittiest paint choices ever from former residents. Nothing like Dusty Pink to greet your guests.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

One or more of those switches are an incorrectly wired 3/4-way, but I've not had enough coffee to tell you which.

Oh...yeah, there's your other post. That's not gonna be fun to sort out. It basically takes pulling everything, and figuring out which are feeds/jumpering them, etc. So....hot work. The best advice you'll get is to call an electrician.

Yep, in the spirit of the current thread title, I'm just going to call an electrician.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The police showed up an hour ago with three tow trucks. They appear to be repo'ing all of my neighbor's cars and (possibly?) serving eviction papers. :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

My fridge sprang a leak and flooded my hardwood, kept going until it got to my basement ceiling. :rip: my wallet

I was gonna ask why on earth your fridge had a water connection in the first place, but then I remembered those drink-dispenser thingies on the front panels that some of them have. Now this post is about how I have an out of date fridge and therefore am an inferior Jones.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

Even without a drink dispenser thingey......ice makers have been a thing for a very long time.

I just had to go pull my fridge out to check this, because I had an ice maker at my last apartment with no water connection (it was siphoning condensate), and yup, this one has a water connection. Huh. I guess that's why I get more than like 5 ice cubes per day out of it now. :downs:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
At intermittent times throughout the day (not consistent, not every day, and often in the middle of the night), I'm getting some weird radio-frequency interference in my condo. During these periods, the garage door opener won't work, the remote control for our bedroom ceiling fan/light won't work, and the baby monitor will completely cut out as if the signal is being blocked. The WiFi does not cut out, but it's on 5Ghz band so whatever's going on is probably on the 2.4ghz band. Before we reset some codes on our garage door opener, it would actually open on its own during these periods. When we had our router band on 2.4ghz, it would cut out during these periods as well. It no longer does at 5ghz. I most often notice it around or just after midnight, but that's the time I'd be trying to turn the fan on before bed, listening for the baby monitor, etc.

I'm at a loss for what would be only occasionally loving with every 2.4ghz device in the condo. Any ideas? I feel like electrical wiring wouldn't be intermittent like this, but that's based on whatever the hell I'm pulling out of my rear end really.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Microwaves can cause issues like this

I'm not buying it being a microwave (at least not a home consumer thing) because (1) it'd have to be be a neighbor's microwave affecting things through walls and multiple floors, and (2) the midnight outage often last for 15+ minutes continuously, and once for at least 45min before I went and slept on the floor of the nursery to make sure I didn't miss anything.

This is going to sound like a conspiracy-theory question, but it's more that I just don't know: the park across the street from us has pretty regular police activity in it right now due to the growing homeless population here during COVID-times, plus it being a hangout spot for rowdy (read: perfectly ordinary) teenagers with nothing else to do late at night. Is there anything they could be using during enforcement (be it radio transmission, cell blockers, etc etc?) that would interfere with nearby residences?

I'm just confused about what causes it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KS posted:

Big, industrial LED lights and motion sensors can kill wifi. Can't think of too much that's associated with police enforcement though.

Thanks re: police stuff. Just had no idea, so asked. I can see it being big LED lights - all the lighting around us is LED and some of them are wayyyy too bright. My only confusion is why it wouldn't be every night then or why I occasionally can't get into the garage during the day, when it's impacting everything then.

quote:

2.4 is a trash spectrum for trash people.

This is not quite as helpful. :downs: 2.4 is basically what everything stupid little consumer device under the sun runs on, and like I said, my wifi isn't affected because it's on 5ghz anyway.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

I am Communist posted:

I've seen weird things affect 2.4ghz like certain kinds of generators that somehow emit the frequency (maybe induct it) . Some industrial paint drying done with microwaves and a few pieces of industrial equipment can do it but it's more rare.

If a neighbor is using ultrawide frequencies on 2.4ghz or sitting in any channels between 1, 6 , or 11 it can overlap and cause interference with the adjacent channels. Like some rear end in a top hat setting his 2.4ghz wifi to channel 9 would interfere with channel 6 and 11.

They're only 20mhz wide with almost no room in between.

Bluetooth(scans 1mhz throughout the rf band), wireless keyboards and mice, 2.4ghz gaming controllers, some brands of cordless phones sold in the 1990s, wireless speakers all contribute and interfere. I think some parts of the LTE band can interfere with channel 1 on 2.4ghz.

Additionally any personal hotspots tethering your cell to wifi

Just combine any combo of any of this and 2.4ghz is as said earlier a garbage spectrum.

If any neighbors are using channel 1 and you are using channel 1 it can interfere etc. If you have three neighbors at least one if going to interfere on the 2.4ghz channel you are using. It's worse if they are an idiot and set it to channel 4 or 9 etc as it's going to overlap the real channels.

Edit: oh, also any mesh wifi solutions use 2.4ghz as the back channel between them even if serves up 5ghz only, so Orbi and other wifi extenders can eat up 2.4ghz real fast and curbstomp other devices with noise and interference. Wifi boosters and rf signal amplifiers as well.

Edit2: also wifi routers and access points will switch channels to avoid interference. Which might be impacting you when or if they do switch in the 2.4ghz space you occupy. If someone has a professional setup and sees YOU as the interference there are nasty ways to contain rogues which essentially sends de-auth and other signal clearing jamming to get your devices to not talk. But this is pretty much speculation. (But could explain the timing as it won't kick in until it sees your interference.)

Or someone has a jammer and wants to make 2.4ghz unuseable for everyone so they all do go out and buy 5ghz routers.

Thanks a bunch for this. I can detect wireless networks for about 20 units around me, and when I'm not having signal interference, the baby monitor will still work a full block away (about 9-10 units). Depending on what other devices are interfering (if I can reach their poo poo, they can reach mine), realistically I have somewhere in the range of ~40 different units that could be competing with me. These are all three-floor units with narrow footprints, so there are a ton of units in a relatively small footprint, given the sqftage of the units. I'll just have to see what I can switch out; the only one that's a deal-breaker on not having working is the baby monitor (I can deal with not being able to change the fan setting, but I want that baby monitor working).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Home ownership is just a lovely RPG where I try to put points into my kitchen but the durability on my water heater is critically low. I should pick up some side quests so I can do both.

It's more of a lovely KMMO in that paying the NPC to repair stuff comes with a 50% chance of destroying it irreparably. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I put out a refinance loan info request through Better (god, that was a mistake), and my current lender (Rocket Mortgage) reached out to me about running numbers on a refinance. They literally just tried to grab free money for nothing. I'm at 3.5% right now, and they came back offering 2.75%, for the low low price of $51K. They proposed a massive point buy-down from a starting interest rate of 4.25% (six loving points) as if that was going to convince me that it was worth it to save... $350 per month.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah when I went through my refi rocket mortgage were the most pants-on-head dumb when I was quote shopping. I actually did end up going with better. They did a great job in my case and I was able to continually bargain them down like 4 times using other folks' quotes. Their website was the only one that wasn't complete dogshit too.

Better offered me a higher interest rate, and then promptly sold all my poo poo to god only knows how many people, leading to 40+ random-rear end mortgage-refi calls per day.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Aquila posted:

What went wrong with Better? I spent the 10 minutes needed to get a competitive quote on my refi on friday and they beat my local lender by ~$4k. 2.75% on both but Better was offering $2200 in credits and $1800 lower apples to apples closing costs. I'm at 3.75% now so either way I'll be knocking ~$300 off my P&I.

They came back at higher than my current mortgage (3.5%), wanted $13,500 in points to get it lower, and within 24 hrs of hitting submit on their site, my phone started ringing off the hook with other lenders robocalling me (meaning they immediately sold / shared my info with everyone else).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Today, I found a bathroom door with opposite hinges (frame-side on bottom, door-side on top) stripped out at the screws. Of course, nobody has any recollection of hanging onto the door or pulling on it in any weird way that would've put the necessary torque, and we haven't had an earthquake in a while. Cheaper than GGGC's roof, but still: Love home ownership!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I propose my condo as the next new level for Phasmophobia. It'll be too easy, though: the entry foyer is always 15*F cooler than every area around it, including outside in the winter. :wtc:

Haunted is the only explanation.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

In my younger and more vulnerable years, I put my contact info into LendingTree. Think whatever you got from Ally x100.

Do not do this.

There is also a similar "let us sell your info" page on Better, which is conveniently not the same page as asking them for a refinance quote. I was getting 20+ calls a day from everyone under the sun for a solid week before the shitstream finally went to a trickle.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yeahhh, that's a terrible job. That's high-school bathroom floor levels of bad.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I need to figure out wtf is with my water service, based on some people's numbers numbers. I average 133 gallons used per day in a 2.5-person condo.

quote:

My latest bimonthly water bill was for 9 CCF and I'm just a single person who apparently takes too many showers. Yours doesn't seem outrageous at all.

Yeah this is closer to what we're seeing. Ours is 11 for two plus an infant. I think showers and tons of laundry are the most-likely culprits.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

If there is a management company, I have no idea who they are. The only reason I was even able to find the president and treasurer was because I searched through the HOA's records on Florida Department of State's Sunbiz website.

Nextdoor is a thing in my neighborhood. People mostly use it to complain about dog poop on their lawn, but I will post there and see what people have to say. Thanks!

Was there no HOA paperwork with your purchase documents? Not FL or anything, but we had a full print of the bylaws, financial state of the HOA, due breakdown, etc etc with our pre-purchase disclosures.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Any Californian home-owners in this thread? I just got my county supplemental assessment for the increased property tax from a Prop13 purchase (updating to market value), and I can't figure out if that's something my escrow is going to take care of, or if I need to write a check. I mean, I can wait until Monday and try to call people, but :effort:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Things you don't expect / think about before buying: Garbage pick-up is my most expensive utility by almost double the next. One can plus recycling from WM (town contracted them) is $196 a month.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

IDK I paid ten bux and now y’all need to deal with my garbage.

If there was a 6-min probation, I'd give you it just because I laughed. :lol:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Holy poo poo that's a lot for trash pickup. That's just a little more than 6 months for my area. Billed quarterly at 85.

Edit. Even better its $72 a quarter. Your month buys me 8 months. For two 96 gallon cans, one is recycling.

Haaa, nope, I'm dumb. My auto-pay expired and so I got two bills in a row because... newsflash... I owe two months in a row. :suicide:

$196 is quarterly for me, 1x 64 gallon trash + recycling. Never mind. Water is still my biggest bill.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Spots in your condo floor that seem to flex beneath your feet way more than the areas around them: Abnormal, or dangerously abnormal? :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

hobbez posted:

How about mild but noticeable flexing in a number of spots in hardwood flooring? I feel like this is relatively normal for hardwood, right?

I would have never noticed it but my partner did. We’ve lived here 8 months. Either it’s new or she just noticed it and can’t un-notice it.

Also - is it actual hardwood flooring, or is it click-lock? They can both flex, and the causes can be completely different. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It just occurred to me that I haven’t had one of my 2.4ghz wireless blackouts (losing signal to/from every single 2.4ghz from garage openers and fan remotes to baby monitors and guest wifi) since my neighbor moved out. Huh... I wonder what he was doing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Did you guys know that cheap-rear end door frames are only wood on the exterior millimeter or so and are basically molded cardboard inside? I just drilled new screw holes and learned that! :haw: Had to go back and drill larger holes, cut wooden dowels to fit, glue those into the hole, and THEN screw poo poo in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

Hollow core doors are actually an engineering marvel: it's amazing they can trim down the materials to that sparse of a level and those things don't just fall apart. I've actually received cardboard boxes that are stronger.

Basically, two thin sheets of wood with Styrofoam and a couple blocks separating them. Here's a typical cross-section:

It's not the doors I'm surprised were cardboard. I knew those were cardboard because I've picked up a door before and it didn't weight like seventy-five pounds. It's the door frame that surprised me. The frame is cardboard. You know, the part we were all taught as children to stand in during earthquakes / hurricanes because they're the strongest, safest part of the house. :v: