Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just get a $30 floodlight from Home Depot and a $25 camera from Wyze if you want one. Don't give Ring your money or allow law enforcement access to your camera.

A floodlight is more of a deterrent than a camera by a factor of like 5 btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

Does anyone have any personal recommendations for a carpet cleaner?

I keep finding little brown/orange circle marks on my carpets and I have realised that they are likely... my dogs buttprints, which is great.

I would try renting a carpet cleaner before running out and buying one first. If you have a Lowe’s in your area they rent out Bissel cleaners which are MUCH better than the Rug Doctors you get from Home Depot and elsewhere.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Motronic posted:

Welcome to the pandemic. Glad you stopped by.

All supply chains are hosed right now. You're LUCKY if you get to overpay for these things because that means they're actually in stock. A lot of things are not.

This was always the logical outcome of "just in time" manufacturing and distribution that prioritizes having the least possible amount of manufacturing capacity and stock to service a statistically predicted demand. That demand changes (because everyone has decided now is the time to remodel their home) or the supply chain gets disrupted and here we are.

I picked a bad time to renovate 4 bathrooms

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That second pic looks like more than just bad taping but it could be the angle. Are there any cracks of concern on the outside of the house?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

edit: wrong thread

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 6, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This guy's 40min video on painting is the most helpful video I've ever watched on Youtube. It's also very engaging to watch even if you don't have a need to paint. He's very good at teaching you without bogging down in minutia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eUxz_or2Qs

His entire channel has very help, easy to understand and engaging DIY videos on a broad rang of home projects. Check out his videos if you want to understand a home project before you tackle it.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 7, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Verman posted:

Thank you for posting this.

I was going to post this myself but it got late and I already wrote quite the essay. His content is really good and should be a bible for learning how to paint further than just putting color on a wall. He has a lot of stuff.

Yeah, his video on tiling helped me tremendously. Reminds me of a Youtube version of Mike Holmes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

:confused: Isn't that where unused drywall anchors go? It's certainly where I put them. You put the screw driver in them then whack it with a rubber mallet and they are gone forever.

It’s these guys

Which have a lip to them so smashing them threw the wall would make the hole bigger

You’re supposed to be able to unscrew them from the wall

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

topenga posted:

We made our garage into a room. Well, we made the rest of the garage into a room. It was already half converted. Anyway, I found great pleasure in taping and floating drywall. Put on some music and just go. It looks fine but obviously not a pro job. Which is why there's massive shelves full on miniatures covering it.

This sounds lovely unless you have textured drywall like I do. Anything bigger than a 6x6 inch square is getting a professional out with the air sprayer and hopper full of drywall mud. You can try to DIY it but it will never, ever look as good as having pro match the knockdown texture.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inner Light posted:

I've always avoided Amazon external sellers and opted for stuff sold by Amazon itself. Maybe some of it is not garbage, even if the name and overall listing feel suggests it would be?

They sell these style of lights at big box stores now if you're worried about quality. I've seen them at Costco and Home Depot.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Did they have any?

I've been to six SW stores over the past 2 weeks trying to find a specific paint to match existing for a repair job but it simply does not exist.

Paint store guy said might get some by the end of the month but he's not sure.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Motronic posted:

SW manufacturing capacity is still pretty boned from the texas freeze as far as I know.

Yeah, and any capacity they do have now is going to fulfilling big commercial orders. Any "pro" paints 5+ gallons are easier to come by than the one gallons of their residential paints, and sample paints are going to be just non-existent until the whole supply line is back to normal.

I would just go to the Dunn-Edwards store next door but I'm trying to match existing so I'm kinda stuck until things get unfucked. Luckily I'm not in any rush.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inner Light posted:

Though I live in one I realized something obvious that I dislike about condos. With a condo HOA, you are forced to pay every month for planned large expenses like a roof. When you own a SFH, ostensibly you should be putting money away every month or year for the same.

When you sell the condo, you get to take none of that money with you. However with a SFH, you don't have a reserve attached to the property, so you get to take all of the savings you've accumulated with you.

Anything creative I can do with the HD ones I bought? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-De...59244/308038103

It has pull chains, and no wall switch included. The wall switch wired to it is just on/off like you'd expect. I think the most I can do is install a smart wall switch, but that wouldn't let me toggle the fan speed or light separately.

I would take a peek behind the switch if you can and see if there's a separate fan wire. My switches were on/off but had a 3rd wired that wasn't connected to anything. I bought some smart combination fan/light switches and now I just yell at my Alexa to turn on the fan when I go to bed.

There's some remote controllers that pop into a switch as well if you want a neat integrated solution.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Ceiling-Fan-Wall-Switch-9050H/202801200
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hunter-Universal-Damp-Rated-Ceiling-Fan-Wall-Remote-Control-White-99393/313862621

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I did a refi and Better.com gave me a quote that was like a full percentage point higher than whatever random company I found on Zillow's rate quote thing.

Check Zillow if you can, you can get rates without having to give away all your info
https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-rates/#/location

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Not mine:

I have not had issues with binding, maybe because I only bonded them with 4 big dollops of the Loctite Foamboad in the corners of the foam and one in the middle.

Searching for pictures though I found this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Insulfoam-...lation/50244957

Which is the same idea but maybe even better.

I used those boards to insulate my old garage door, it seemed to work well. They go into the panels themselves so they don't affect your joints.

They do add a bit to your garage door weight so you may need to adjust the springs afterwards.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just replaced 38 outlets in my house this weekend, as with any repetitive task you get pretty good after awhile and I can probably knock out a full outlet swap including faceplates in under 3 minutes each now.

That was just the second floor, I get to do the other ~35 on the first floor next weekend :suicide:

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 2, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My 18-month old Whirlpool has had 4 technicians try to fix a design flaw with my ice maker in the last 6 months. All appliances are terrible.

At least I get a new fridge when it breaks again in 4 months.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Not sure what the hell they used on the fan box, though...

Looking at the blown-out wood and irregular cut lines, seems like a sawzall or something similar.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a no hub smart switch? I'd like to program my exterior light on a certain time, then dim at a later time, then off in the morning.

I like the Kasa switches, they run over wifi, are cheap and pretty simple to use
https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-HS220-Dimmer-Switch-1-Pack/dp/B079775ZZQ/

The reviews say you are able to program a dimmer schedule. Needs a neutral wire to run.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StormDrain posted:

I really like that, I wish it came in a toggle form though. I'll probably break down and just let one of my switches be a paddle though.

There's not really toggle smart switches because the paddle ones just act as buttons. They're always in the paddle "on" position and hitting it just presses a button and cycles though on or off states, it doesn't physically move the switch paddle. Can't really do that with a toggle.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

e: Whoops, wrong thread

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 3, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have a Lowe's near you they rent out the Bissel commercial units which I've been told work much better than the Rug Doctors, mainly due to the rotating brush head on the Bissel vs. vibrating brush on the Rug Doctor

Vacuum wars did a test with both
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR4q_HOPP6s

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My robot vacuum is named Dusty :3:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StormDrain posted:

I just finished installing this and it's great! Thank you. I had it on the wifi in a couple of minutes. My complaints, it's big, like they all are, so you've got to arrange the wire to fit it.

Yeah, the biggest downside to smart switches is how deep they are and how a big pain in the rear end they are to install into crowded boxes. I have a couple in 4 gang boxes and they are tough to work with.

I have started swapping out the wire nuts for Wago connectors on any box that I install a smart switch into. I’ve found that I can lay them flat on the back or sides of the box easier and it makes repositioning the wires a little easier.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I usually recommend a cheap Wyze camera. They run $30 and they're just a basic, cheap no frills camera that's perfect for checking in on stuff.

Blink and TP-Link make some cheap ones too but I don't have any experience with those.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The biggest tip I've found with spreading caulking is try to do it in one swipe. Resist the temptation to drag your finger back over the caulk line to fix any minor imperfections, it will just stick to your finger and pull up more caulk and look like crap. Get your caulk in the crack, one smooth stroke over the line and clean up your excess.

That video you posted seems pretty good. Silicone caulking it pretty cheap and forgiving. If you royally mess it up you can scrape it out with a razor and try again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wait, your breakers are LABELED?!?!?!?!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Circuit-Breaker-Finder-Tool-Kit-2-Piece-80016/316406030

Best $50 I ever spent, never have to guess what outlet goes where ever again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

My tado thermometer switches to away mode when I'm out of the home, which triggers the following:
- the roomba tweets & starts cleaning, it also tweets @ me if it gets stuck
- the hue lights switch off
- electronics go on standby

I wake up with slowly brightening lights and pleasant tunes played by a hi-fi set. It's actual heaven. I've always struggled with waking up early and that's just no longer a thing

No more dust or forgetting to turn down the heat, no more leaving the lights on, no more loving with light/dimmer switches because I can just stick a hue dimmer wherever I want it with tape if I must, no wires needed. People hate it but it's so so good

Next week I'm having a big fat fuckin american fridge delivered. Hell yeah.

My wife and mother-in-law are home all day so half the magic IoT poo poo like this doesn't apply to me, it's a real bummer.

I want cool robots going off when I leave the house but instead they're on a normal boring schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

Any tips on picking a contractor for a larger exterior renovation job?

This will be our first big job on our house- residing, any needed carpentry work, and roof (and probably the gutters because at that point why the hell not). We’ve done our share of mid-size jobs, but this will be the first one we’ll need a general contractor/exterior renovator for and I’m feeling a bit paralyzed about picking who we’ll work with.

Beyond getting recommendations from the local facebook group (no neighbors have anyone to suggest) and reading reviews I’m kind of at a loss. Ultimately it feels like it comes down to a gut check and ughhh.

I found a couple contractors via Yelp. I know their search engine is biased but a couple benefits of Yelp are that 1) there's user reviews (but take these with a grain of salt), 2) there's pictures of their actual work they have done and 3) you can message people who left reviews and get feedback. response rate is pretty low but it's good for trying to get an actual, honest recommendation of their work.

I've had a couple people message me from review I left for a fireplace and a concrete pour job and I gave them honest feedback.