Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
I'm a college guy, specifically a fan of Virginia Tech so I'll do this for Lane Stadium where the Hokies play.

quote:

- What do you think of it?
I like it a lot. It's a great building with plenty of good sightlines. It doesn't have all the modern amenities you get in a Jerry World or something but it also way better that something like Legion Field.

quote:

- When did you first go? Can you remember the game?
I first went as a freshman at VT in the fall of 2004. Don't remember specifically who was the opponent or much about the game. Google tells me it was a blow out against Western Michigan so that is likely why I don't remember.

quote:

- What was it like to go take a game in there?
I love it. The place gets LOUD(see video below) and really is an amazing environment to be in. Especially in the student section. People are generally friendly to opposing fans unless you're from WVU or maybe UVA.

quote:

- What makes it interesting/unique? What does it offer that other stadiums do not?
Enter Sandman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crhWP__g-_c

It's always played for the teams entrance, but they do occasionally play it at big moments in a game like this. There are plenty of other traditions which the wiki page on Lane covers pretty well. Enter Sandman is far and away the most important one however.

quote:

- Is there any interesting history behind the building?
It was the location of a game in a literal hurricane in 2003 against Texas A&M. Also say the only win we've ever had against a top 5 team against Miami in 2003. The ignominy of the BC comeback in 2007 lived on for at least a year in Sports Center ads(loving Matt Ryan). And the comeback against Nebraska in 2009 was amazing and I highly recommend looking up that last drive on YouTube.

quote:

- Where do you think it ranks in terms of the other football stadiums in the states? (because I'd quite like if I could get a few posts on college stadiums too).
I am biased but I think it ranks in kinda the second tier of college stadiums. Not up there with the Big House(Michigan) or the Swamp(Florida), but more comparable to maybe Autzen(Oregon) or Death Valley(Clemson). It is usually in the top 25-30 or most stadium rankings which I feel is probably about right.

quote:

- If you don't believe it already is the best stadium, what do you think is?
I'm not sure honestly. I haven't been to a whole lot of other football stadiums, but I'd say that any of the 100,000+ stadiums are above it, other than maybe Michigan since that place is supposedly silent. Stadiums in great locations or with great traditions like Death Valley at LSU(yes there are two stadiums called that) or Huskey Stadium or Camp Randall might be above it. As for the number 1 best though I've got no idea what I'd say honestly.

quote:

- Alternatively, if you don't already believe it is the worst stadium, what do you think is?
In the ACC I'd probably say Miami. They play in the Dolphins stadium which is like 30 milse from campus and no ones goes to games. It's an awful environment.

Overall probably Eastern MIchigan. Their field color is awful and makes games there look so strange. gently caress that place.

drunk leprechaun fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread