Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MAC stadium postin' :hfive:

Doyt Perry Stadium, Bowling Green, Ohio

What do you think of it?

As MAC stadiums go? It's alright. In need up some upgrades and those plans just got finalized.

When did you first go? Can you remember the game?

I've been going to games ever since I was a kid. My parents are alums and have season tickets.

What was it like to go take a game in there?

Inexpensive and fun. The crowd isn't super loud but over the last few years BG has installed a video game offense and seeing lots of long passes and trick plays is always a ball.

What makes it interesting/unique? What does it offer that other stadiums do not?

See that building on the north end/left side? The alum who donated the money for it was in band himself so he made sure to build seats for them and have everything sorta curved, so the band could play into the stadium instead of being stuck in the regular bleachers in a corner or something.

Is there any interesting history behind the building?

Not as much until about 2006. We had a game against Miami (OH) and the rain had been pouring all day and quickly turned the field into a mud pit. ESPN was covering the game and Lou Holtz (he, May and Davis were calling the game) said this was the worst field conditions he'd ever seen and something had to be done. The next year we had FieldTurf installed, and Ohio State sent administrators up to see how it looked, and then installed it in Ohio Stadium as well. Neat.

Where do you think it ranks in terms of the other football stadiums in the states? (because I'd quite like if I could get a few posts on college stadiums too).

As college football goes, Bowling Green and the MAC are nowhere near the levels of schools like Michigan, OSU, Florida, Georgia, Texas, etc. in terms of atmosphere, prestige, etc, but every once in a while we get to play teams like those and now and again we either beat or scare the hell out of them and that's fun :toot:

It seats around 24,000 so it's not going to set any records, but tickets are cheap and every so often we get a bigger name team on the schedule to come in, so that's fun.

If you don't believe it already is the best stadium, what do you think is?

I've been to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium and was on the sidelines next to the Florida bench when this happened, and I couldn't hear myself think, so I've always liked it.

Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin has that "jump around" tradition after the 3rd quarter and that was cool.

Gaylord Family Stadium in Norman Oklahoma had just completed renovations in 2003 when I visited with BG for the season opener and that looked nice.

What do you think the worst football stadium is?

Woof, it's hard to look at Eastern Michigan's. Ryan Stadium has been mentioned before and it sounds like they're finally planning to renovate that place. Holy poo poo it needs it.

I'm going to also slot Michigan's "Big House" in here, not as a bad stadium, but as an astoundingly overrated one. The old rear end bowl shape, the super crammed seats, and it's just not that loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread