Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
ghost dance is right lol

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

In retrospect the American independence war was a pointless bloodbath to trade a foreign elite for a domestic elite, preserve slavery longer, and kill Indians. I like fireworks though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

“Indians and wolves are both beasts of prey, tho’ they differ in shape.”

George Washington

“If ever we are constrained to lift the hatchet against any tribe, we will never lay it down till that tribe is exterminated, or driven beyond the Mississippi… in war, they will kill some of us; we shall destroy them all.”

Thomas Jefferson

“My original convictions upon this subject have been confirmed by the course of events for several years, and experience is every day adding to their strength. That those tribes cannot exist surrounded by our settlements and in continual contact with our citizens is certain. They have neither the intelligence, the industry, the moral habits, nor the desire of improvement which are essential to any favorable change in their condition. Established in the midst of another and a superior race, and without appreciating the causes of their inferiority or seeking to control them, they must necessarily yield to the force of circumstances and ere long disappear.”

Andrew Jackson

“Ordered that of the Indians and Half-breeds sentenced to be hanged by the military commission, composed of Colonel Crooks, Lt. Colonel Marshall, Captain Grant, Captain Bailey, and Lieutenant Olin, and lately sitting in Minnesota, you cause to be executed on Friday the nineteenth day of December, instant, the following names, to wit… “Text from President Lincoln to General Sibley ordering the execution of American Indians in Minnesota.

Abraham Lincoln

“I DON’T GO SO FAR AS TO THINK THAT THE ONLY GOOD INDIANS ARE DEAD INDIANS, BUT I BELIEVE NINE OUT OF TEN ARE, AND I SHOULDN’T LIKE TO INQUIRE TOO CLOSELY INTO THE CASE OF THE TENTH.”

Theodore Roosevelt

“All of our people all over the country – except the pure blooded Indians – are immigrants or descendants of immigrants, including even those who came over here on the Mayflower.”

Franklin Roosevelt

“The United States, which would live on Christian principles with all of the peoples of the world, cannot omit a fair deal for its own Indian citizens.”

Harry Truman

“There has been a vigorous acceleration of health, resource and education programs designed to advance the role of the American Indian in our society. Last Fall, for example, 91 percent of the Indian children between the ages of 6 and 18 on reservations were enrolled in school. This is a rise of 12 percent since 1953.”

Dwight Eisenhower

“For a subject worked and reworked so often in novels, motion pictures, and television, American Indians remain probably the least understood and most misunderstood Americans of us all.”

John Kennedy

“The American Indian, once proud and free, is torn now between White and tribal values; between the politics and language of the White man and his own historic culture. His problems, sharpened by years of defeat and exploitation, neglect and inadequate effort, will take many years to overcome.”

Lyndon Johnson

“What we have done with the American Indian is its way as bad as what we imposed on the Negroes. We took a proud and independent race and virtually destroyed them. We have to find ways to bring them back into decent lives in this country.”

Richard Nixon

“I am committed to furthering the self-determination of Indian communities but without terminating the special relationship between the Federal Government and the Indian people. I am strongly opposed to termination. Self-determination means that you can decide the nature of your tribe’s relationship with the Federal Government within the framework of the Self-Determination Act, which I signed in January of 1975.”

Gerald Ford

“It is the fundamental right of every American, as guaranteed by the first amendment of the Constitution, to worship as he or she pleases… This legislation sets forth the policy of the United States to protect and preserve the inherent right of American Indian, Eskimo, Aleut, and Native Hawaiian people to believe, express, and exercise their traditional religions,”

as he signed into law the American Indian Religious Freedom Act.

Jimmy Carter

“Let me tell you just a little something about the American Indian in our land. We have provided millions of acres of land for what are called preservations – or reservations, I should say. They, from the beginning, announced that they wanted to maintain their way of life, as they had always lived there in the desert and the plains and so forth. And we set up these reservations so they could, and have a Bureau of Indian Affairs to help take care of them. At the same time, we provide education for them – schools on the reservations. And they’re free also to leave the reservations and be American citizens among the rest of us, and many do. Some still prefer, however, that way – that early way of life. And we’ve done everything we can to meet their demands as to how they want to live. Maybe we made a mistake. Maybe we should not have humored them in that wanting to stay in that kind of primitive lifestyle. Maybe we should have said, no, come join us; be citizens along with the rest of us.”

Ronald Reagan

“This government to government relationship is the result of sovereign and independent tribal governments being incorporated into the fabric of our Nation, of Indian tribes becoming what our courts have come to refer to as quasi-sovereign domestic dependent nations. Over the years the relationship has flourished, grown, and evolved into a vibrant partnership in which over 500 tribal governments stand shoulder to shoulder with the other governmental units that form our Republic.”

George Herbert Walker Bush

“Let us rededicate ourselves to the principle that all Americans have the tools to make the most of their God-given potential. For Indian tribes and tribal members, this means that the authority of tribal governments must be accorded the respect and support to which they are entitled under the law. It means that American Indian children and youth must be provided a solid education and the opportunity to go on to college. It means that more must be done to stimulate tribal economies, create jobs, and increase economic opportunities.”

Bill Clinton

“Tribal sovereignty means that. It’s sovereign. You’re a… you’re a… you’ve been given sovereignty and you’re viewed as a sovereign entity.”

George W. Bush

“We also recommit to supporting tribal self-determination, security, and prosperity for all Native Americans. While we cannot erase the scourges or broken promises of our past, we will move ahead together in writing a new, brighter chapter in our joint history.”

Barack Obama

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

"I have a lot of experience dealing with men who sometimes get off the reservation in the way they behave and how they speak"
\

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah

also that reagan quote kinda stands out

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Haha, oh Ronnie

Never change you scamp

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

A good chunk of Alaska is Native owned, a large part of that is due to the Russians being the ones who colonized us and not Americans, you guys just loving wrecked the other tribes.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fuligin posted:

Haha, oh Ronnie

Never change you scamp

Yes, please stay dead forever, TIA.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

the smallpox blankets were a low blow, yeah.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

A good chunk of Alaska is Native owned, a large part of that is due to the Russians being the ones who colonized us and not Americans, you guys just loving wrecked the other tribes.

The vast majority died off from disease, probably before their tribe even knew what a white person was.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Like something like 90 percent of the deaths were unavoidable so long as Europeans existed on the continent

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah the fact that most natives died bleeding from their eyes from plagues brought by Europeans before the campaigns of genocide and enslavement even got to them is a great comfort.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Personally I think July 4th would be a great time to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr. Pumroy posted:

the smallpox blankets were a low blow, yeah.

not as low as their resistance to european diseases though

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

We only only had one generation of children that was sent off for re-education and had their language beaten out of them so only a few of our languages went extinct, some of which died recently, like Eyak!

Al! posted:

Yeah the fact that most natives died bleeding from their eyes from plagues brought by Europeans before the campaigns of genocide and enslavement even got to them is a great comfort.

Totes!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

A Winner is Jew posted:

I want to see a car dealership work this into their July 4th sale ad.

"How low are our patriotic prices? Almost as low as the red man's resistance to European diseases!"

Joe Switzer's Route 5 Auto Roundup!

6577 Route 5 in Goghwalla! Take the 2nd left past the big tree!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

that's a nice collection of quotes and after the third constitutional convention enshrining a worker's democracy july fourth will be a day of national shame. cheers.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I don't care about the plight of First Nations people, OP

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Professor Tomtom posted:

canada.txt

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Professor Tomtom posted:

The poutine must flow.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

tsa posted:

Like something like 90 percent of the deaths were unavoidable so long as Europeans existed on the continent
It was basically guaranteed when all large domesticated animals that were useful ended up in the old world.

Imagine if they'd been split evenly, then you'd have pandemics going both ways.

90% of the world, just gone.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Has anyone here been to a native reservation?

I did once and it was like going to sub Saharan Africa

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Whorelord posted:

It was really hot there :confused:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Really makes you wonder why they decided to settle there in the first place. Oh well (eats corn dog dipped in magic shell)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Al! posted:

Get hosed non domestic plague havers. Europe survived the Black Death, whats the New World's excuse?

But seriously without the plagues the Natives probably could have held off the Europeans. Coordinating logistics for an invasion against a resisting enemy across an ocean is hard even today. Everywhere the Europeans landed the Natives thought they were the ones exploiting them, either as shock troopers in local wars or as trade partners taking over for nations destroyed by plague. I recall some of the Central American civs were on the verge of industrial metal working. It really came down to the filthy Europeans living with their livestock and becoming unstoppable plague engines.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Fiction posted:

It was really hot there :confused:

nah I was there in the winter there was snow on the ground (even tho it was a desert)

I meant more the whole living in mud huts/caves, dirt roads and general poverty-stricken desperation

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Whorelord posted:

i got drunk and shot guns with my ex-gf's dad

also it looked like any other small swamp town

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Whorelord posted:

no, but i read "the man to send rain clouds" in high school english class

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

rudatron posted:

It was basically guaranteed when all large domesticated animals that were useful ended up in the old world.

Imagine if they'd been split evenly, then you'd have pandemics going both ways.

90% of the world, just gone.

There were one or two diseases that did go the other way, syphilis probably being one of them, but none of them as disastrous as smallpox (which apparently might've hit at the exact same time as a native pandemic) was in the Americas.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Not a Step posted:

It really came down to the filthy Europeans living with their livestock and becoming unstoppable plague engines.

tsa posted:

The vast majority died off from disease, probably before their tribe even knew what a white person was.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Literal holocaust denial ITT, cool.

You guys know that Nazi holocaust deniers use disease to dispute the 6 million figure, right? Typhus was horrific in the camps, and deaths by disease and starvation are counted in the 6 million.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Whorelord posted:

I've been to a few. Some of the most depressing places I've ever been in my life.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Mofabio posted:

Literal holocaust denial ITT, cool.

You guys know that Nazi holocaust deniers use disease to dispute the 6 million figure, right? Typhus was horrific in the camps, and deaths by disease and starvation are counted in the 6 million.

You really comparing smallpox to typhus?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
You wanna go down that route how about we "Talk about the genocide perpetrated by the Indians on Europeans through syphilis?"

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Despera posted:

You wanna go down that route how about we "Talk about the genocide perpetrated by the Indians on Europeans through syphilis?"

oh man, that's a new one. by all means.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

We must salute the brave European explorers who traveled the world in search of interesting new forms of crotch rot

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Mofabio posted:

oh man, that's a new one. by all means.

Typhus thrived in those camps due to poor nutrition, sanitation etc. Plenty of perfectly healthy Indians and Europeans had the flesh of their face fall off through small pox.

Lord of Pie posted:

We must salute the brave European explorers who traveled the world in search of interesting new forms of crotch rot

Back in the day it was a far more lethal and all over main land europe.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

speaking of face melting here's a rembrandt portrait of someone with 17th-century syphilis (he got it in utero from his mom iirc) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Rembrandt_Harmensz._van_Rijn_095.jpg i have chosen not to img-tag this but it's not nws or anything it's just kinda sad

the dude in the portrait was a great artist and art theorist in his own right
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_de_Lairesse

edit: just now reading this and the dude had affairs with two sisters who were his models and ran off with some other girl to another city and just in general for a congenital syphilis sufferer with massive facial scars that made him go blind he was a loving hit with the ladies. i feel like i read something about some old timey play featuring a legendarily hot woman who just happened to have facial syphilis scars, so i'm guessing that in the era before movies or photographs or reliable lithographs or basic hygiene or everybody not having crazy rear end diseases or loving anything the standards for human attractiveness were somewhat lower than we take for granted today.

i feel like i read somewhere that something like 5-10% of the population in a european city in the reformation era would've had visible syphilis scars. perhaps i am making this up or i read some bullshit but i feel like this is the kind of context that's essential when you try to figure out how people took religion so seriously back then

also the history of squanto is much more interesting than the elementary school version of thanksgiving history would have you believe

to put it one sentence, he was captured by the english and taught our language and returned, then he was captured by other english and enslaved but rescued by monks in spain before he could be sold, then he worked as a shipbuilder in london for a few years, then he made it back home only to see that his entire loving world had died of smallpox or leptospirosis or whatever, then he taught the stupid-rear end pilgrims how to bury dead fish in the ground to grow corn like any idiot woudve known, then he took part in extremely complicated diplomacy involving the abenaki, wampanoag, and english and died mysteriously, bleeding from the nose
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squanto

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 04:53 on May 7, 2016

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Lord of Pie posted:

Amerigo Vespucci landing on the S. American coast, while "America" in the hammock lures him in. Carved 1589.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
It's not like Europeans went around sneezing.on the indians. 500 million people died in the 20th century from smallpox even with the help of germ theory and the fact the virus went virtually extinct in 1970. Most of Indians who died of the virus never saw a white person.

• Locked thread