Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah

also that reagan quote kinda stands out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

speaking of face melting here's a rembrandt portrait of someone with 17th-century syphilis (he got it in utero from his mom iirc) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Rembrandt_Harmensz._van_Rijn_095.jpg i have chosen not to img-tag this but it's not nws or anything it's just kinda sad

the dude in the portrait was a great artist and art theorist in his own right
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_de_Lairesse

edit: just now reading this and the dude had affairs with two sisters who were his models and ran off with some other girl to another city and just in general for a congenital syphilis sufferer with massive facial scars that made him go blind he was a loving hit with the ladies. i feel like i read something about some old timey play featuring a legendarily hot woman who just happened to have facial syphilis scars, so i'm guessing that in the era before movies or photographs or reliable lithographs or basic hygiene or everybody not having crazy rear end diseases or loving anything the standards for human attractiveness were somewhat lower than we take for granted today.

i feel like i read somewhere that something like 5-10% of the population in a european city in the reformation era would've had visible syphilis scars. perhaps i am making this up or i read some bullshit but i feel like this is the kind of context that's essential when you try to figure out how people took religion so seriously back then

also the history of squanto is much more interesting than the elementary school version of thanksgiving history would have you believe

to put it one sentence, he was captured by the english and taught our language and returned, then he was captured by other english and enslaved but rescued by monks in spain before he could be sold, then he worked as a shipbuilder in london for a few years, then he made it back home only to see that his entire loving world had died of smallpox or leptospirosis or whatever, then he taught the stupid-rear end pilgrims how to bury dead fish in the ground to grow corn like any idiot woudve known, then he took part in extremely complicated diplomacy involving the abenaki, wampanoag, and english and died mysteriously, bleeding from the nose
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squanto

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 04:53 on May 7, 2016

• Locked thread