Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I only have one complaint about the film that comes to mind, about Ant-Man. Why does he pick Cap's side? The entire solo Ant-Man movie he makes it clear that he's doing things to keep his daughter in his life. He's trying to give up crime, and be more responsible. Why would he then sign up with someone who's very publicly going against the UN? He didn't seem to have any problems with it, and seemed eager to fight for him, so it wasn't the blackmail from breaking into Stark's armory from Ant-Man. At the end he's back in jail and away from his daughter. His best case scenario there is that he is living his life on the run, after very publicly fighting the Avengers. Either way, he's never going to see his daughter again if he fights for Cap.

Hell, he should have fought for Iron Man. That way he could get a stable job working for the UN as a hero, and everything he does is legal. It would be a steady, legal job, that would let him keep his family in his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

It's also weird as hell that Tony recruited him instead of, y'know, Jessica Jones.

My GF and I had a debate about this on the way home from Civil War. My opinion was that the entire Netflix series she is trying to get video evidence of Purple Man, and fails the entire time. So that would mean there's not really any footage of what happened in NY, and no footage of Jessica Jones either. The only media that covered it was Patsy Walker, and I imagine that was easily ignored/missed. Plus Killgrave was so careful about him not leaving a video trail, including taking away the police recordings, that I'm not sure if the rest of the MCU knows about her.

I've not finished Season 2 of Daredevil, so I can't speak for that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

People just hate whiny kids.

Like, kids are whiny, but no one wants to see that. So don't make 'em whiny

I concur, and that's why Gordito is one of the best sidekicks.

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/10p12/

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Which issue was that in? I can tell it's a Secret Wars tie-in, but that's about it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That has to be Greg Land who did that poster, eh?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I saw this in a Twitter advertisement last night, the first time I've ever clicked on to get more info from an ad there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SZ3rMMYBLY

My first reaction is, the hair is all wrong. But as a real opinion, I'm just hoping that there's a first episode twist that shows that the girl was really one of his personalities. Otherwise I don't think they're going to be doing this character or his powers correctly. Which will annoy me because he's one of my favorite X-Men.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't know if it is said directly in the movie, but the director said he's gone for over a year and the end of the movie brings him around to the present.

That means his car crash is happening sometime around Winter Soldier.

Must be after, because he's one of the names targeted by that gunship thing, and he's in NY at the time.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't think War Machine's armor is considered experimental anymore. Hammer's was though. You see the guy do a semi-180 as part of a test.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Suicide Squad had like 10.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Paul is fine, but World's End has that great out-of-nowhere reveal. It's amazing watching that film blind, or watching someone else watch it for the first time. Since it's not as highly regarded, no one should remember the trailers for it now, if it ever spoiled it (I don't remember seeing any trailers for it).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't know if it's been revealed yet, but if you wanted to know what Ego looks like in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, it has been spoiled in Pop Vinyl form:
http://popvinyls.com/2017/01/17/ego-joins-funko-guardians-galaxy-ranks/

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't think they said how he was going to show up in the film at all, so I didn't know if he was going to be a human or a voiceover'ed CGI character.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't think that will be a problem. No one cared that Hulk had a crappy and a meh movie before the first Avengers film.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have never read a thing from the Spirit, and I loved the movie. Sam Jackson chewing scenery in full Nazi garb will always be amazing. The only character who takes things seriously is the Spirit, and when is not his POV, he's a doofus.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Maggott

C'mon Fox, give us the origin story people actually want!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

zoux posted:

So M. Night announced that his next movie, Glass, is a direct sequel to Unbreakable and the other-movie-of-his-where-the-twist-is-it's-a-sequel-to-Unbreakable, to which I say, cool.

I watched Unbreakable a few years ago. At the time, I remembered it as one of my favorite movies of his. On a rewatch, it struck me how no one in the film (besides SLJ) has emotion, at all. All the actors move around each other and do stuff, but they don't ever show any signs of happiness, anger, fear, etc. Even when SLJ is yelling at some dude for treating his art as a toy, that guy doesn't react. When Bruce Willis breaks into someone's house to save two children from being attacked, or when the two children save him from being drowned, everyone in that film has a :| face the entire duration.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How much money would it really take to do that anyways? Just hire an editor for an already completed film, and cost to distribute them. It's not like they're going to film anything (maybe).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Oh yeah, another wonky plot thing about Wonder Woman that I forgot earlier:

Ludendorff sends some agents to accost Steve and Diana. They get their asses kicked, as you do. Then one of them bites a cyanide tablet rather than allow himself to be captured or interrogated.

But...there are still several other unconscious agents lying right there, ready and available for capture and interrogation!

What even happens to them? Were the police called? Did Diana and Steve just leave them there?

Maybe he was the leader, and he just hired local thugs for backup? It would be easier then sending 6 people all at once to England from Germany. I don't remember if any of the others spoke, let alone also had a German accent.

That, or Wonder Woman gave no fucks, she just wanted to get to the war.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They say in Civil War and Daredevil that "hundreds" died in New York. Some people think that is too little and Marvel is sanitizing destruction for babies.

At one point during the first Avengers you see what the Chitari are doing to civilians. They're just rounding them up, like they're trying to capture them. That's my no-prize answer.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

The Tick is good.

This thread is bad.

Is it better than the pilot episode? I only remember one joke (Tick knocking over a lamp thinking it was a lever for a secret lair), and it fell flat (the joke and the lamp). Is the whole show a realistic reboot like that was? He seems nothing like the character in the comics in that pilot.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Uhh that scene was literally taken from the comic...

The comic had comedic timing. I'm saying the execution of the joke sucked.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Something we're getting out of the Hellboy reboot is DH putting out four Hellboy Omnibus books which are every Mignola story in timeline order.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Did they ever finish releasing the Library Editions or are these basically replacing them?

Ah man, I just started to collect the Library editions. I never read Hellboy before, and I picked up the first two volumes.

(It did bug me that a collected issue in Volume 1 referenced a story that was only in Volume 2.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Half the New Mutants lend themselves to horror quite nicely. I'm just wondering if they'll fit in Sunspot and Cannonball. Not much room for blastin' for Sam though.

I assumed the person burning in the washer machine was Sunspot.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What's the rule on spoiler tags again? I'm not going to see this film until tomorrow night. Just want to know when I should start avoiding this topic.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

One with better colors was posted on Facebook:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you free during the mutant burning down inside a building, you can see that it seems that she's burning down an event that seems to be held by the purifiers.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Isn't there a story where Madrox has a son but it turns out to be a clone or something?

Yup.
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/X-Factor_Vol_3_39

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

I hope the rock you live under gets Orphan Black someday.

I'm watching that show now (only just finished the first season), and that doesn't seem to apply. Those clones all split off while young and lived their whole lives in different situations. Maddox's power splits them off as clones in body and mind as he generates them. The closest thing for Maddox is the one clone that splits off and lives his life as a pastor.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They haven't done a Plinkett review, but they did a regular review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGsrMaxx8N4

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

It was just funny because, even putting aside the usual arguments against sneakerhead culture and Nike fleecing kids for status, if you were trying to remain anonymous why would you cop your best kicks?

Well not just that, but how can he use his feet to hang out when he's got shoes with thick soles on them (or any sneaker really)?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I hope the new character in New Mutants is digitally inserted and looks super out of place.

I too hope it is Warlock.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

All this so they could make it 3D.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

zoux posted:

Who's down

The wife and I are watching through them all (excluding Ang Lee's Hulk, which I don't think counts, but we are doing Incredible Hulk). We just finished phase 1, and she's trying out Agents of Shield now. The only downside is that I don't think Black Panther will be out on bluray before Infinity War. If it's still in theaters, we may have to do a double feature opening night.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I did tell my wife (who didn't see either) that the only thing she needed to know is that his origin story happened, and then ran away from the government all the way to Brazil. That's basically all you need from the Ang Lee version. They retconned what his origin story was in the opening credits to Edward Norton sitting in a chair being bombarded with gamma radiation.

So all you get in the MCU from Ang Lee's Hulk is why he's in Brazil.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

The teaser at the end wth the soda cans and the contaminated was a dangling plot element that seemed ripe for using in a shared universe.

We watched this the other day, and there's only one bottle that gets Banner's blood in it. You see it later in the movie when Stan Lee drinks from it and drops the bottle on the ground.

Post credits scene is Tony Stark meeting with Ross and asking for Abomination to be used in the Avengers Initiative. Which is expanded upon in the short "The Consultant".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The ships were also flying swords, which was awesome.

Wife and I watched Dark World last night as we're going through all the movies (and apparently Agents of Shield as well). That hammer on the coat rack was apparently ad-libbed by Hemsworth.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm more excited than I should be to see that X-Force grey suit Deadpool costume on the big screen.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Okay. I was hoping to have a respectful exchange here, but you're clearly not interested in that. Bye.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Men writing comics have done a lovely job of writing women (see early Fantastic Four and Wasp panels). Hearing that a woman is being written by men is something that causes some people to pause, but finding out that women are being written by women is usually a selling point for obvious reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

He'd probably have read about him in school, yeah.

The school's touches on the MCU were some of my favorite world-building moments in Homecoming. The movie never calls attention to it, but at one point you can see a wall mural with famous scientists on it and in addition to the real life scientists you'll also notice Bruce Banner and the German scientist guy who made Cap.

"I'm pretty sure that guy's a war criminal now..."

• Locked thread