Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Civil War's ending was a bit too ambigiuous to me, if you're gonna do an Empire Strikes back kinda thing, you want to dwell on the negativity, instead of the hopeful note/phone thing.

Other than that loved it. Pretty much was overcome with glee during the airport/Giant man. Gotta love how they hid the third act from the trailers.

When can we talk about this movie without spoiler bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sockser posted:

Tom Holland was my favorite part of the movie and I'm super hype for Spider-Man: actually a stupid dork this time

Sounds like his Spider sense is more in line with Daredevils powers than just feeling vibrations and poo poo around him. I think that's a cool take.

Giant Man got spoiled for me by a drat Lego set

When did his Spider sense get involved? I don't remember that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There are also several instances where things that would normally trigger his comics Spider Sense didn't in the movie (or I suppose he simply ignored it each time?)

This is a very green Spider-man, and I loved that the movie made an effort to portray him as such. The earnestness of his adolescent character makes his allegience make a lot of sense.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Age of Ultron is virtually incomprehensible without context, and even with it it's a discombobulated mess of trailers for other movies and elements of every hero's individual themes and ideas, despite most of them not working in the greater context of the film in which it exists. Remember how Thor just fuckin' leaves the story for a hot minute to get all gothy in a cave? Unless you watch the Thor movies you'd have no loving clue why or how he does all that stuff, and the Civil War trailers in Ultron are really awkwardly placed in the film. That Tony/Cap convo on the farm is great, and one of the best parts of an overall bad film, but it makes zero sense in greater context. I'm still not sure why Iron Man and Cap fought in Ultron besides "this is what you'll be seeing more of in Civil War", it just happens and then Vision immediately breaks it up. It's so, so so dumb.

And Bucky's pretty obvious in CW, a guy framed for a crime he didn't commit that also has weird PTSD brain control from Evil Soviets. I mean, sure, you don't get why Steve's so committed to saving Bucky, I guess, but that's kinda it. And really, the only context you need for why Steve's so intent on saving Bucky is "he's a hero, Bucky is innocent, heroes help out the innocent".

I went with people that never watched any of the other movies except maybe the first Avengers, and they seemed to go along with it and like the movie, even without knowing who the hell Bucky was.

BTW I watched it in a theater in Astoria, Queens, and that moment between Spider-man and Captain America mentioning where they came from went over like gangbusters. The only time the same typical loud assholes actually added to a movie.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 9, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Can we all agree that the promise of spiffy Vision was fuckig over fulfilled? Walking around like an Assistant Professor. It was all good stuff. I can see Vision wiling away his time in his favorite craft beer beer garden before Ubering over to listen to a live Moth Story Slam.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Can we all agree that the promise of spiffy Vision was fuckig over fulfilled? Walking around like an Assistant Professor. It was all good stuff. I can see Vision wiling away his time in his favorite craft beer beer garden before Ubering over to listen to a live Moth Story Slam.

This got lost under the detritus of some stupid argument, but seriously, do people here think Vision has a NPR tote bag y/n?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blake Lively, unfortunately, has never had an interesting performance, at least to me. She been good in anything?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The only thing that directly contradicted the comics was them flying around in spaceships. They could always just say they weren't using the Nova Force for some vague reason.

Speaking of space stuff, Bryan Singer has said that in addition to the 90's thing the next X-movie will involve their space stuff.

Apparently, he's in the "idea" stage of X-Force, and Simon Kinsberg is writing it.

quote:

While Singer was careful to note that he's currently only involved at the idea level, he did confirm that X-Force "is in the earliest script stage" at the hands of X-producer Simon Kinberg, adding, "so that’s kind of where that stands, and we’ll see how it evolves."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/17/bryan-singer-has-pitched-female-wolverine-x-force-script-in-the-works

Fox is in desperate need for some fresh blood. We've seen what this duo can bring to the franchise, and its something that should have been left behind long ago.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Any time someone says "THE FEMALE" I just picture them as

Well to Singer women are practically a foreign species.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Geoff: Have you considered maybe if Lex joined the Justice League?

Snyder: Great idea! But what about all the other members?

Geoff: Oh, what if they were all bitchy assholes to each other? Like, really bitchy.

Snyder: Oh man, this poo poo is loving gold. Any other suggestions?

Geoff: Sure! What if Darkseid just like, showed up apropros of nothing and was just generically evil and stuff?

Snyder: God loving drat it man you're three for loving three over here.

Had to check if it was that bad and guess what it is

quote:

And even when a force managed to dent the terraformer, Darkseid declared the fight was already won before two Kryptonians broke into Apokolips' court to confront the Dark God head-on,[17] but were no match for the tyrant who singlehandedly defeated the defenders of Earth, leaving the Green Lantern alone against him.[18] He initially proved to be stronger than the Green Avatar, defeating him and then killing countless human survivors to nourish Apokolips, but he returned with the power of the Multiversal Green that strengthened him enough to repel Darkseid from the survivors and save them from his wrath.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Uxas_(Prime_Earth)

Hal to the rescue!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like the Boyaga being in Black Panther rumor was false, according to the dread Faraci: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/19/john-boyega-is-not-circling-black-panther

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I can easily imagine there is a lot of interest in WW, considering there isn't really anything like an action fronted super heroine movie out there. Sort of how retroactively you can see how badly people were looking for a satirical R rated romp before Deadpool.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It seems like comic book movies are much more dependant on word of mouth than any other movie (well, other than indies). Children movies are basically critic proof.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There really is no reason to watch the new X-men movie is there? The 80s focused marketing was so good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Don't worry.

Tony Stark was secretly a double agent the entire time and was replaced by a teenage version of himself. The Tony Stark we know now is actually a fusion of the teenage version with Franklin Richard's memories, Hal Jordan slept with a teenager, Cyclops abandoned his wife and child to hook back up with his ex-girlfriend and Spider-Man was molested as a child and beat his wife.
All your favorite superheroes have awful secrets.

Edit: Honestly, "molested as a child" isn't really the same as the rest of those (though is canonical) so let's just stick with the good ol' standby of "literally sold his marriage to the devil."

What's this Iron Man nonsense? I know there was a teenage version of him in some kind of comics before, but the rest is Chinese to me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Batman accepts that he's powerless in a sense - he needs people like Superman and Wonderwoman. The Doomsday fight is all about this:

Superman: "Was she with you?"
Batman: "I thought she was with you".

So Batman has now fully accepted the stranger.

Superman on the other hand accepts all the burden of his power and responsibility by sacrificing himself.

So is this a parody or...?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know Queens demographics intimiately, but from what little we saw of Peter and May in Civil War, it certainly seemed like they were in a small, dinky apartment that seemed to be bustling with activity. Wikipedia says the average income is $35k which is pretty solid working or lower middle class.

Queens is the most ethnically diverse area in NYC, therefore the most ethnically diverse place in America, therefore the most ethnically diverse place on the planet.

Forest Hills is kind of a Caucasian enclave tho.

edit: way too late on my post

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 22, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Alaska is outside America.

You learn something new everyday.

EDIT: Queens is still up there tho

quote:

In fact, Farrell says the country's three most diverse census tracts are all in Anchorage, followed by a handful in Queens, as in New York, which usually tops everyone's diversity guess list

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/12/us/most-diverse-place-in-america/index.html

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I'd say that ASM2 is pretty decent when its not trying to set up future movies. There's probably something about a character like Silver Sable that Sony sees that they can do a more generic action movie with, rather than doing a film about a powered person or one with a complex relationship with Spider-Man. Though I didn't think Spider-Woman, Drew or Carpenter had anything really to do with Spider-Man.

Sony's always suffered from not having people behind the scenes that actually likes the original material. GoTG was a real labor of love. It comes through the screen and people respond to that I think.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

That's not the "whole point of the movie," it's not even dramatized.

I wouldn't even bother, its Occupation.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sumo posted:

Blade is British...

This kind of hurts to admit, but yeah, Blade could really do with a update. The leather/sunglasses/extreeemeness of Wesley's portrayal is so heavily 90s.

EDIT: "some motherfuckers always trying to ice-skate uphill" tho

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 5, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Annnnnd there goes my interest in Wonder Woman.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Well, maybe Cap wouldn't have gone against Tony this time, in that hypothetically acceptable compromise. But that's the thing right? Steve said it himself: he's never gonna ignore something if he thinks it's wrong, so what happens the next time they're forced into a difficult situation like this -- because there will always be a next time -- and things don't get resolved in the exact acceptable way that Steve would be able to bear? Especially if it hinges on Tony to find that compromise, because the fact is that, for all Tony's fancy give-and-take speeches about ideology, he's just as hard-line uncompromising about things as Cap is and gets just as testy when things don't go precisely the way he likes.

All that said, I don't think the film is saying that the dichotomy between their ideologies and personal interests are really as drastic as all that, but that there's necessarily a point where personal interests will fundamentally win out, and that's true for everyone and not just Cap and Tony.

Man, this was a good film.

Civil War is about incredibly flawed characters refusing to recognize their own flaws and imposing it on the other party. If they had an ounce of reflection, Zemo's plan wouldn't have worked at all.

What's working against them is the whole idea of punch em movies. Tony can't wait around and be reasonable and measured because there's a robot about to destroy New York or a terrorist is about to release a virus into the Vienna water lines. So they clash and fight, which is their strength, and ultimately the source of their own inevitable downfall.

This is exactly like a tragedy.

EDIT:

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/753809579813670913
:allears:

Gal looks amazing. Really hope the WW trailer drops at Comic-Con and they release it online.

[edit] High-res versions

Costumes usually suck in these types of pictures. That is a great loving costume.

EDIT 2:

SlimGoodbody posted:

Tim Gunn's begun lightly stirring the hype pot for GotG2

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/753827968665853952

Who's the guy in the air right of Drax and tiny Groot?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 15, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Honestly, I only know the Sentry from his roles in Dark Reign and Seige, and a little bit of the preceding Avengers Dissaembled. That was when he was a loving mess and barely keeping it together.

Though I might as well ask this but I'll spoiler it Was the Void ever real or what it just in Bob's head and manifested itself at the end of Siege out of Bob's body, becuase he believed that the Void was inside of him, but it was just his mental illness?

I think Bendis was trying to imply that the Void always existed, and the Sentry was the fake identity. Its hard to tell because his writing went to poo poo around that time.

I think Bendis early take on Sentry was interesting tho, and I've heard great things about Parker's run. Jenkins take on the character has an ignoble end.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Little Mac posted:

I actually really don't like Leslie Jones on SNL but liked her in Ghostbusters. I think the thing is SNL is about playing a character and she's not really good at that. She's good at playing herself. She's naturally funny.

Yeah, I liked her watching GoT with Seth Myers. That's worth looking up.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wonder Woman and Doctor Strange look pretty good (even though there's never been a successful female-led superhero movie so WW is guaranteed to fail and Strange is just too weird so it's guaranteed to be he one that finally sinks Marvel Studios).

Every single time.

Scaramouche posted:

He started talking about how he's looking forward to Suicide Squad, and I was about to start ribbing him about it, when I realized there wasn't really an argument I could make that wasn't rooted in some kind of hard-bitten cynicism or assumption without the presence of facts. I realized that the vast majority of people commenting on, and ostensibly "enjoying" these movies are doing so because they enjoy disliking something bad more than they enjoy liking something good, or winning points for their "team". Yeah, it's probably going to suck, for a number of reasons. But why get bent out of shape about it? Are you less of a person because you were looking forward to it? Or are you just notching up nerd cred with other people who might feel the same way?

I don't think even most people here are hating on Suicide Squad. Personally, I'm pretty excited about it.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 25, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ocean's 12 is an embarrassment to cinema.

I still don't know what they were thinking when they made that.

I actually loved it. It was like a short story compilation.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Travis343 posted:

There's a lot of people ITT that are like "Oh no, this sucks. I'm still gonna see it though".

Like you realize you don't have to go see it? I know we're comic nerds and we feel like we have to be aware of comic nerd stuff, often to our detriment, but really, you don't have to go see it. I went and saw BvS because I felt like I had to form an opinion on it, because I'm real into Batman. I wish I hadn't! I'm not going to go see movies that I think will be terrible anymore.

Go see Train to Busan this weekend (I already said this in the Greenlight thread, but good movies really need to be supported).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jesus this is brutal. DC needs to get some creative control over their products stat or its just going to be more of this poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Just got back and i enjoyed it. I think it suffers from editing by committee. A fair bit of stuff i've seen in trailers on teasers just wasn't in it. and some of the cuts are obviously butchered.

I still enjoyed it i loving loved Harley and the Joker. So did my brother, who's pretty well gay for anything Joker related.

There seems to be some serious dysfunction in the WB comicbook movie pipeline. For Marvel, which has been largely open about its writing process in articles like this or this , it involves a core crew (of which members are free to join and leave) being given enormous latitutde to table stories and work through numerous drafts, while interacting with other crews currently working on their movies and Marvel brass (that tends to be hands-off except for a few direct notes touching on future plot threads) in a free-form yet close manner.

I'm trying to not just be a Marvel fan-boy here, because this is really interesting to compare the two companies structural ways of doing business. Someone must have written a paper on this already, showing why one business environment's healthy approach to creating product (as successful as GE's brutalist philosophy under Jack Welch, yet almost diametrically opposite) compares to WB's frantic shortsightedness and continuing second place status.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Maybe its not even useful to look at it as a "DC" culture, considering how hands on WB was with Suicide Squad. I haven't been able to find any articles about the writing process for the DC stable, but Geoff Johns has been linked to writing at least a couple, right? It seems like a much more conventional blockbuster type process, the screenplay being the least focused on and important part of creating these types of movie.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 4, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Both are the same really, it's just Marvel picked a better tone to enforce.

That's the key. A uniform vision. WB's tripartite organizational system (Kevin Tajahara (sp?) on top, with another two execs underneath with overlapping responsibilities over DC movies) is a system engendered to create confusion and disfunction.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I kind of regret going into the DC/Marvel comparision argument, it only starts the same drat Snyder thing. He's not that interesting.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

greatn posted:

I may have enjoyed Spy more because I watched it on a 12 hour flight, so it's going to be the best thing happening to me at the time in comparison to the rest of my environment.

Spy is a legitimately great comedy. The comedy is on point, and kinda rare for a comedy, so is the plotting/characterization/thematics. Jason Statham was great in it as well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus Christ. I think I brought it before in this thread or one like it but, honest to god, I have never ever in my life, prior to this year, seen "editing" used in film criticism. Like at all. I watch a ton of movies and read a lot reviews and message boards but for some reason 2016 is like the year of lovely editing.

Can anyone name a film prior to 2014 where editing was ever even mentioned, brought up or noticed at all? For good or for ill? Aside from porno movies I mean. Like, in ANY way? I can't. The gently caress is going on in the god damned editing room these days? You'd think it'd get easier with not having to physically cut out strips of film and poo poo like that but it seems like suddenly every loving film on the planet was edited poorly.

Every Thelma Schoonmaker movie?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wrong thread

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pretty typical Marvel short list. Young and hungry, but this time them being all women is nice. The lack of stature probably allows Marvel to marshall more control as well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

It's one of those rather underrated pulpy ones. Like, nothing earthshattering hitting heights never before seen, just a fun and rather stylish looking movie. See also The Rocketeer or The Shadow.

Or maybe I'm just a sucker for that 20s-40s aesthetic.

I think the Shadow is the best one of these, as it actually has a pretty playful script, great acting, and some balls out concepts.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Wait, who doesn't really like Billy Zane?

The proprietors of this hotel when they wouldn't let Zane have a room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuuYJ6pvl68

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I honestly find Tom Holland a little bit bland, emote-wise. I think Maguire is understandably a better actor and Garfield is way more expressive. I can see Holland fits the mold of the dew-faced overburdened-yet-idealistic Peter Parker that they're building, though.

Try watching In the Heart of the Sea. Both him and Thor star in it. And theyre both good.

• Locked thread