Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Saw the movie and these are my thoughts

loved Spidey and Black Panther though I thought Spidey's whole role in the movie was superfluous just to show off Spidey for a future movie. Seriously I had no idea why he was fighting beside because Stark asked him too. You would think he would have qualms about fighting against America's hero and a bunch of other people but it seemed that he didn't mind too much.
I also liked that the Act was even more ambiguous than the comic book version.
Tony and Steve's internal conflict with each other was very well handled and I wished that Batman and Superman could have treated the relationship the same. The action was tight, and even though I thought the airport scene was well handled I also laughed at the fact that it was abandoned because you would think that the German government would send an army or something to make sure that the heroes wouldn't destroy too much property.
All in all a pretty fun movie though I don't really like the whole "set up for some other franchise movie" thing that Marvel does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Anyone know how Spiderman or Daredevil or JJ would have operated under the Act?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Shageletic posted:

This is a very green Spider-man, and I loved that the movie made an effort to portray him as such. The earnestness of his adolescent character makes his allegience make a lot of sense.

Still curious what Tony said to him to convince him to fight Captain America.
Also I might have missed it but was it ever explained how Zemo knew Bucky killed Papa and Mama Stark

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

omg chael crash posted:

What was the in story reason for Pepper not being in CW? I somehow didn't catch it

She went to hang out with Natalie Portman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So how many people here would want an Ambush Bug movie?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Shallows looks like fun but I am a sucker for shark movies.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There is that and also I am wondering if Marvel could afford her/look to pay her for a multi-film contract.

edit: Holy poo poo I just realised/found out that John Kani played King T'Chaka in Civil War. As an ex-South African that is awesome. I have seen a few plays with Kani years and years ago and he is awesome.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 10, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

id argue that all these are stupid but naming a character after a popular band (i checked the years) is something else entirely. dc is so goddamned stupid

What you got against Kirby?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

Mr Miracle here we come!

CzarChasm posted:

You joke, but the origin story of an young man, learning to survive and escape from Apokalypse and from being the amusement of Darkseid et al, in a cross between Saw and The Great Escape is a movie I'd like to see. I could see 90 minutes of the Justice League episode "Miracles Happen".

I mean, if I trusted DC to not gently caress it up.

Stop making me want things that don't exist.

There is honestly so much mileage that Warner could get out of New Gods alone.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Toxxupation posted:

For me at least, they've so completely soiled the brand on the big names (I really do think making The Dark Knight Returns Batman the prime DCCU Batman is really dumb for a variety of different reasons, not the least of which is that it's What Snyder Thinks The Dark Knight Returns Batman Is Batman) that it's kinda all I'm interested in. They blew their load on the villains with having the first two movies consisting of Zod, Doomsday, and Batman and Superman in conflict, so outside of Darkseid they've kinda run through all the really big-scale stories outside of any sort of Crisis storyline, which'll be a loving mess to try and portray in any way that makes any loving sense whatsoever beyond Crisis on Infinite DC TV Earth and DCCU Earth.

I still hold out hope for a White Martians as villains story based on Morrison's first arc.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The X-Men cartoons have badly dated, but so has the first X-Men movie honestly.
I wonder if Fox is hoping that Sophie Turner turns into another J-Law in that they can tie her up before she blows up and build a franchise around her. I would really prefer to have Jean in the center of everything than Mystique.

edit: as for having new/different mutants instead of the same three over and over, I am hoping New Mutants introduces cool new things.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Light Gun Man posted:

My fav Ghost Rider movie was Drive Angry.

This was a page back but this man speaks the truth.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

I'd watch the first Thor over almost any of the Iron Man films. Though I don't think I'd watch the second one at all.

Thor 1 was slightly less balls than Thor 2.
That is my opinion. Please note that I also think Incredible Hulk was one of the better Marvel films.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

Geoff Johns is bad because he writes about the characters he remembers instead of the ones I remember.

Pretty much this. Also he is bad because all his best stuff happened years ago and I don't remember it so he has never written anything good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

Well, Sinister is the most 90s of all villains

Wrong. Stryfe is

Spoiled that just out of fear that it would trace all the way back to the original spoiler.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I actually enjoyed the animated adaptations of Year One and Dark Knight Returns but Warner does seem to be over-reaching with Killing Joke, and the animation seems a lot worst than Y1 and DKR.
As for the story itself, the premise itself is interesting enough (Joker's idea that it just takes one bad day to drive a sane man crazy) but the story itself isn't really that great. Honestly the best thing to come out of it was Oracle and that was Ostrander being an awesome writer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I went off Moore when I realised he's incapable of writing a comic that doesn't involve rape at some point.

Highly recommend reading Top 10.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I might need to re-read those. I remember the stuff with the corrupt cops and the traffic disaster

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

Most those people have their themes forced on them by random chance or science experiment gone wrong. Bruce is just insane

Also their birth name. Was Edward Nygma and Otto Octavious really going to be anything but Riddler and Dr Octopus with those names.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Was Silver Sable ever a thing? Like did people ever care about her? I know people care about Black Cat but I cannot ever remember anyone acknowledging the existence of Silver Sable except for about three episodes of the 90s cartoon
Really she is pretty much a dime store Black Widow knockoff, so I guess she has that going for her.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

Silver Sable is nothing like Black Widow.

All I remember about her is that she is a vaguely eastern European spy/mercenary. Also she dressed in white instead of black.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

SlimGoodbody posted:

How is this a viable business model

I have said it in the CD thread but when your budget is 50 bucks and a six pack of Coors it is easy to make your money back.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Shawn posted:

Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon were the stand-outs to me.My wife also commented that the editing bothered her. I have to imagine that losing to an animated film in its second week has got the studio bothered.

Not really. Animated movies this time of year do really well considering kids are on vacation and parents know that animated films are a safe bet to take kids. I think the studio will rather look at how much bank it makes without comparing it to an animated movie, especially one getting a lot of critical acclaim.
Going to see Ghostbusters tonight. By all accounts I have heard that it is enjoyable without being exceptional, so sounds like a standard summer film for me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm surprised this isn't an Asylum movie called the Magnificent Fourteen.

The awesome baker's half dozen.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I know it was two pages ago and we are talking Marvel now, but I got to say I really liked the look of Aquaman in the trailer. People were bitching about Cyborg but instead of saying the same thing about something I don't like I will say something positive and say that I really like that they are taking Aquaman in a different look from the comics.
Also it feels like they are missing out by not having Martian Manhunter in the film, and getting Bruce to fill that role seems like they are missing out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sumo posted:

A Flash who's more of a jealous rival to an effortlessly-smart-but-flaky Peter Parker is a hell of a lot more interesting than stereotypical jock-bully character. Although it removes the "nerd vs. popular crowd" dichotomy, but it could be done with any number of other ancillary high school extras.

Wouldn't that be Eddy Brock though?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

hiddenriverninja posted:

So T-mobile is offering me a free ticket to watch Suicide Squad. Should I not even bother?

Seeing that it is the worst movie ever I say don't even see it for free.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

They honestly should have just made a live-action version of Assault on Arkham.

This is true. When I heard that they even casted a Joker I thought that is what they were doing to do.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I liked the movie. It was uneven but fun. Like it was actually enjoyable, and I'm not getting the whole critics calling it a slog to watch thing. Smith was a standout but I'm biased towards all things Deadshot, even though they changed his character a bit. Also liked the comraderie shown, even though at times it didn't feel earned.
As I said though, the movie is a bit uneven, and seemed to be missing a second act somewhere so the first bit and third bit where mismatched.
Didn't think any performance was particularly bad either. I would give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Funnily enough Harley and Joker got the biggest positive reception from the screening I went to but then again there were three women dressed as Harley at the screening (and one Katana).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Slipknot biting it was exactly what happened in the comics so I had no problem with it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I agree with the reviews being overblown a bit. It's one thing to say that the movie is bad but their was a review in a national paper where the reviewer says it was the worst experience he has ever had in a theatre. Then the comparisons to Fantastic Four and the amount of vitriol seems overblown for a middling film at best.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Weren't there rumours a while back that Danny Trejo was interested in playing Lobo? All that would be missing would be Robert Rodriguez, an R-rating, and a time machine to take us back to the year 2007.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Statement still stands and any movie proving otherwise does not exist.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For me bad editing means "why is "B" happening when the last scene was dealing with "j"? Anytime it feels like there is a scene missing to tie in what happened before and after I saw bad editing. For instance in Suicide Squad when Enchantress has her turn there was nothing indicating before that scene if it was a Suicide Squad mission or not.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Liking Fight Club is a pretty universal thing.

This is true but it might also depend on whether you think Tyler was right or not.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe they changed her name to Michelle Jane to get away from the pot connotations :350:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

notthegoatseguy posted:

As someone who only has a passing knowledge of Batman (having only read a handful of Bat stories but mostly know him through TV and movie adaptations), it seems like most of Batman's villains are villains that use their mind, criminal kingpins, or use tech or science. Besides Bane, I honestly can't think of a villain who can physically go toe-to-toe with Batman that's been featured prominently in mass media.

The only other one I can think of for brute strength is Killer Croc.

edit^^^^^ yep. Also Ra's, but only if it leads to a sweet, shirtless sword fight.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight is awesome and it's 90% because of him. Billy Zane rules.

It is awesome because I watched it when I was 13 years old and there were boobs in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bullshit, if any comics creator should get a 70s action movie it should be Jim Steranko.

I would kill for a 70's Buddy cup pastiche style movie (like the Good Guys) with Kirby as the bruiser and Steranko as the fast talking/get out of trouble using his smarts kind of guy.

• Locked thread