Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Happy Hippo posted:

We MCU fans appear to suffer from an embarrassment of riches. I look forward to rubbernecking at the wreckage of the DCCU's failed attempt to get in on the sweet sweet shared universe money.

Hell yeah dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really don't see the issue with taking your mom to go see Captain America on Mother's Day. Marvel movies are super popular with women (well, more accurately, they're popular with everyone) and it's not exactly like Mother's Day is one of those holidays of quiet reflection, you buy your mom a bouquet of flowers and call her to thank her for being born. There's not really a whole, like, ritual to it. You wish your mom well and maybe take her out to lunch, that's kinda it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Thursday night box office for Civil War was 25 million.

Experts seem split on what that means for total weekend box office, with some projecting as low as 180 million and some projecting as high as 215. Really huge range, to be quite honest.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The general logic for high-end estimates seems to be that Thursday night "sneaks" are a small proportion of overall weekend box office for MCU movies (9-14%, as opposed to DCEU being 16+%), MCU movies are really strong four-quadrant films that perform well on all three days of the weekend (again, over DCEU being heavily front-loaded on initial weekends, and male-skewing films in general), and that Civil War in particular has the golden trifecta for really strong opening weekend of strong pre-release ticket sales, strong critical acclaim, and heavy mentions on social media (which, again, BvS only had one of those three, arguably two).

Personally I think it'll be above 205 million opening weekend. Not a lot more, but I think it'll hit 205.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 7, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I dunno if a straightline comparison to Ultron is inherently valid. Fandango sold the most pre-release tickets for it, ever (outstripping BvS), and Ultron got hurt by mixed critical reviews and word of mouth.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Whatever they go with they better go with her current hairstyle.

Since, you know, it rules.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Please be Charlize Theron, please please please be Charlize Theron.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Civil War loving ruled and I'm glad that Zemo exists in the film as a small-scale villain who's still a plausible threat in a post-Cosmic universe, which is something that even the comics have trouble figuring out - most notably in how Civil War and Annihilation both ran at the exact same time and just never intersected, because otherwise it makes the main "event" look really silly, pointless, and stupid.

I still have a very soft spot in my heart for CW, being the first event I ever read, and Captain America: Civil War exceeded my very lofty expectations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Heathen posted:

They're pushing the Inhumans pretty hard in the comics as the X-Men Except We Own The Movie Rights.

Also, and more importantly, X-Men But Not Boring and Bad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait...that's not fixed! That's not fixed at all!

And regardless your feelings on the Inhumans you can at least admit that "X-Men but...bad" is a redundant descriptor.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The X-Men used to be at least important, when the only way you could portray minorities and have it sell was via metaphor. But now that the big two, especially Marvel, portrays minorities by actually creating minority superheroes the metaphorical aspects of the X-Men feels clumsy and surprisingly dated. And without that metaphor the X-Men are basically Pokemon led by a whiny prick. Yes I know Cyclops is dead right now or whatever but still gently caress that guy.

As an aside I gotta say I'm really proud of the fact that Marvel's glommed onto how the legacy characters can and should be played by minorities, since it doesn't really matter who wields mjolnir or who wall crawls as long as somebody does, and the different perspectives freshen tired characters.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

It strikes me that Civil War is the first Marvel movie that's probably truly hard to follow if you haven't seen the other ones. Like, Avengers didn't actually need you to see the solo movies to get who the characters were, and Winter Soldier had a recap of the First Avenger to get you up to speed, and even Age of Ultron had a core superheroes vs. evil robot story to latch on to, but this one really trades on the audience knowing everyone's relationships already. If I had somehow never seen Winter Soldier I'm pretty sure I'd have no clue what Bucky's deal was in Civil War.

Age of Ultron is virtually incomprehensible without context, and even with it it's a discombobulated mess of trailers for other movies and elements of every hero's individual themes and ideas, despite most of them not working in the greater context of the film in which it exists. Remember how Thor just fuckin' leaves the story for a hot minute to get all gothy in a cave? Unless you watch the Thor movies you'd have no loving clue why or how he does all that stuff, and the Civil War trailers in Ultron are really awkwardly placed in the film. That Tony/Cap convo on the farm is great, and one of the best parts of an overall bad film, but it makes zero sense in greater context. I'm still not sure why Iron Man and Cap fought in Ultron besides "this is what you'll be seeing more of in Civil War", it just happens and then Vision immediately breaks it up. It's so, so so dumb.

And Bucky's pretty obvious in CW, a guy framed for a crime he didn't commit that also has weird PTSD brain control from Evil Soviets. I mean, sure, you don't get why Steve's so committed to saving Bucky, I guess, but that's kinda it. And really, the only context you need for why Steve's so intent on saving Bucky is "he's a hero, Bucky is innocent, heroes help out the innocent".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ignite Memories posted:

I did show them a couple clips from Age of Ultron before we went to the movie because I figured the Vision would probably make the least sense out of any of the heroes.

To be fair, AoU criminally underused Paul Bettany and the Vision in general (another thing that Civil War did infinitely better).

God I'm most impressed how this movie juggled a huge loving cast and introduced two brand new characters while making them all feel valid and essential. BP and Spider-Man most notably, obviously, but Ant-Man's still a glorified cameo that gets his time in the sun, the Vision feels actually extant besides "plot device with a synthetic pulse" from Ultron, and Black Widow feels useful without being pandering sexist nonsense (As she was in, say, Ultron).

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 9, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"Aunt" is a familial term that's often used as a term of affection despite it not being literally true, like "Uncle".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Canonically speaking Aunt May's Peter Parker's mom, not his aunt.

Aphrodite posted:

Aunt May is actually not related to Peter by blood at all.

:getin:

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 9, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly has anything happened in the Marvel Universe that actually required Iron Man and wasn't caused by Tony?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The whole point of that line is the logic that states how Kevin Costner literally advocating that Superman kill kids in Man of Steel is morally reprehensible.

If you have the capability, and the ability, to safely save a life without endangering your own and decide not to, your inaction means that those deaths become your responsibility. This isn't even a theoretical case: Good Samaritan laws are passed to compel those who can save lives to do so without fear of liability or prosecution out of that same implicit moral understanding, and duty to rescue has become de facto prosecuted, seeing total idiots like homeopath parents charged with crimes for failure to act in the safety of their children.

In a world where superheroes exist they have the obligation to save lives, not just the imperative to.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ignite Memories posted:

Man, gently caress Gwyneth Paltrow. Pepper Potts is absolutely not needed as a character.

Rescue is an awesome concept, Gwyneth Paltrow is a good actress, and the MCU needs more genuine female superheroes anyway. Scarlet Witch is literally the only one that exists so far (Black Widow is as much a genuine superhero as Clint Barton is), and that's embarrassing. Especially considering that the MU has a boatload of awesome female superheroes from which to pick.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MacheteZombie posted:

lol, you mean good for her because she doesn't need to play second fiddle to RDJ.

Okay, let's not say dumb things. Everyone in the MCU plays second fiddle to RDJ. He's the foundation upon which this whole universe is built, the same way Spider-Man is the foundation of the MU. If we don't have RDJ, we don't have an MCU. We just don't. Period.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dexo posted:

It's why Marvel has to be loving relived that Guardians did as well as it did. Because that's like the only movie not involving RDJ to do real numbers.

Winter Soldier did really good numbers, the Captain America brand has been built up to the point I would say Chris Evans is a solid (but very far behind, like everybody else) number two to RDJ in terms of being or tied with the superhero that he plays.

RDJ is Tony Stark is Iron Man. You can see that's true because people refer to Tony Stark and Iron Man interchangably, and I would argue that Steve Rogers/Captain America is very near to that level of recognition. Everybody else though, yeah. If you said Peter Quill or Clint Barton or Natasha Romanoff or Richard Barnes, people would be all like "Who?"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's the former, I mean he's currently its main draw but they've already fostered enough talent that the MCU can survive and make a fuckload of money without RDJ. But while he's there, in every movie he's in, he's its most important character. And it's not undeserved when you think about it; I'm confident that RDJ's portrayal of Tony Stark will be looked back on as one of the greatest/most appropriate casting choices ever made in the history of movie-making.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O, I would say at a minimum She-Hulk and Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) are doable. Especially they come packaged with a built-in fanbase due to being associated with another brand due to their name.

And further from that I'd say that the MCU could take concepts for heroes or heroes that exist as part of a Corps, like Nova and Quasar, and make them into female heroes. Especially Nova, which already has a reason to exist and is built upon a movie that did quite well for Marvel.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like She-Hulk should've, honestly, gotten her own movie by now and its kinda crazy that Captain Marvel ends up the first female supe to get her own movie.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MacheteZombie posted:

A guy who communicates with Ants and changes his size was an extremely popular live-action motion picture in this decade, but talking to squirrels and being silly is a bridge too far?

Squirrel Girl would absolutely, positively not work as a Marvel movie anchor. X-O's totally right there. You're looking at a Netflix series, a half-hour sitcom starring Kristen Schaal.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MacheteZombie posted:

We can't know, because Marvel won't even try.

The whole point of the character is that she breaks the power curve. That's not sustainable in the same universe without reining in her power (negating her character) AND making her serious (negating her character).

She's also a lovely example of a female superhero to start with. Thirty years down the line when Captain Marvel and Spider-Woman and She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel and the Inhumans are running around? Sure, maybe then. But Squirrel Girl was conceived as a joke that only works if you "get" how powerful the extended Marvel Universe is, and how funny it is that she's insanely overpowered.

You're talking about a unvierse that hasn't even introduced Thanos and you want a character that beat him in a straight-up fight to get a starring movie? C'mon. That's stupid.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

She's a joke character that only works as a subversion of and reaction to established concepts of Marvel canon. She's awesome, she's amazing, but if you were to make a list of the best female Marvel superheroes currently in use she wouldn't even crack the top five. You can't subvert expectations as you're establishing them. Deadpool's an exception because he's a comic book character who's literally aware he's a comic book character.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Codependent Poster posted:

So you haven't been reading the current series and are only going off of knowing Squirrel Girl from when she was a joke character.

I'm going literally off the current series. She ends up making friends with Galactus to beat him, and that joke only works if you know how insane it is for a mortal being to make friends with him. Or how inherently impossible it is for that to even happen. It's great, it's amazing, but it only works if you're like "Galactus is being interpreted in this goofy counterintuitive way to how he's always been portrayed, and that's awesome, but it removes or subverts all pre-established stakes about the character".

It's just like how insane it is that Howard the Duck ends up a herald of Galactus in his ongoing. Because Howard would be, usually, the absolute worst candidate ever for the Power Cosmic. That discrepancy is what makes him work.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Marvel Studios has Hulk rights, just not distribution rights.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

The MCU is coming up on 10 years of length and more than a dozen films. It is one of the largest and most prolific film franchises ever. Saying they 'need to wait' is insane because they're going to be releasing their 14th film this year.. *14.* The only comparable franchise is like James Bond.

They have one Cosmic Marvel film and zero Magic Marvel films. You're pretending like the Marvel Universe still isn't tiny in scope when it absolutely is, restricting the kinds of heroes they can introduce or stories they can tell. Currently, anyways.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

redbackground posted:

Nope, it's too much. The MCU can't possibly handle something like that. Shut it down.

(SQ giving a motivational speech to stop villainy is all I want.)

I'd rather SG be an actual character over what she almost always is outside of her solo books, which is someone who exists on the periphery of everything to make goofs.

Even SG in New Avengers basically cordons her off from the rest of the team, where she's a generic guy-puncher who's possibly the least important member of the team. Again, it's why a TV show would work for SG so well, because in a half-hour format her goofier stories can work uninterrupted. Making her a film star saddles her with a bunch of changes to be an "MCU movie headliner" that would make her Not Squirrel Girl.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

The Marvel films involve a group of space heroes, a genius tech, an alien god who battles space elves, a World War II hero, and as of this year will involve a super-magician. calling it 'tiny in scope' is absurd. I literally can't think of a film franchise that is comparable in genre and setting.

Compared to 616, which is exactly where they'd be drawing female supers from? Yeah, the MCU is tiny in scope.

And again, you're ignoring my point. I want more female MCU superheroes, just not ones that are literal jokes that only work because of how they invert expectations for Cosmic/Magic Marvel.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You mean Jennifer, since that's She-Hulk's first name.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

You really need to stop treating the movies like they should give a poo poo about the comics at all. They're movies. They're not comic adaptations.

Ah yes, comic book movies shouldn't take inspiration from comic books. How silly of me.

Kevin Feige posted:

We’ve always said if there’s any “secret” it’s respect the source material, understand the source material and then, any adaptation you make from the source material should be done only to enhance whatever the original pure spirit of the source material was. Deadpool hit on all cylinders with that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MacheteZombie posted:

Most of the movies ignore huge swaths of the comic book versions of characters to tell the stories they want to tell. Why would Squirrel Girl or any other female hero not do the same?

Because Squirrel Girl was invented as a joke. There's a difference between going "let's make her origin legally and distinctly different from being a mutant" to "let's make her Not a Joke".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

I like how you can't tell the difference between "taking inspiration from' and "this is a literal exact copy" less than a week after Civil War came out.

Civil War is an exact example of what we're talking about here. Its similarities are entirely superficial and its themes, concepts and basically everything about it are completely different. It omits every single iconic moment from the comic and its villain is completely different from the comic version of the character.

You said, and I'm quoting you directly here, that the movies "shouldn't give a poo poo about the comics at all". The only one exaggerating here is you. As per usual.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There's a total complete difference between saying "this movie should ignore comic fiat at the filmmaker's discretion" (which I agree with) and "the DNA of this character, the fundamental building blocks that establish who they are and what their themes are, should be ignored" (which I absolutely don't). And origin has a hell of a lot to do with that essential definition of a character, which means that the current scope of the MCU eliminates a ton of female superheroes off the bat.

Which, again, is why I'm saying that if you're looking to other female supes you should be looking at ones based in and around the US, earth-born, humans who have pre-existing relationships with current MCU superheroes. Because it means they can be introduced more easily with a bare minimum of change to what makes them work as characters.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Female Thor is really the only example of that, though. None of the Spider-Women (well, Gwen, but that's...a whole other shitstorm) or She-Hulk has that problem. Quasar and Nova are ideals so have no baggage of gender-swapping anyways.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

... She-Hulk is literally named She-Hulk and got her powers from an infusion of Hulk's blood. Unless you change that entirely (and I'm not opposed to that) she is absolutely derivative of another hero.

No, she's not. She's always been in control of her personality and conscience from the start, which makes her inherently different from Hulk (who usually gets a name change if he can actually control his thoughts, reinforcing the point).

If anything Jennifer Walters' main theme is a professional, serious woman earning respect in a man's world, which is made all that harder because she's seven feet tall and super buff and green. In contrast to Banner's main theme being, well, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

She-Hulk. As in "Hulk who is she."

That's branding and you know it. Stop arguing in bad faith.

MrAristocrates posted:

Man, She-Hulk is awesome.

Yes, she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like I honestly can't remember the last time She-Hulk even interacted with Hulk in any capacity whatsoever. It certainly didn't happen, ever, in her most recent solo. I don't think she even mentions him in any capacity during the Soule run.

• Locked thread