Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ImpAtom posted:

In this case they also probably are a bit hesitant because Deadpool made All The Money and they don't want to end up with people going "He's like Deadpool but boring and not funny!"

This is exactly who he is though :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I watched Dick Tracy recently and loved it. I also love Darkman, but mostly for the ridiculous way he's thrown out of the lab explosion.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I had an amazing The Shadow lunchbox + thermos when I was a kid. This one;

Who knows what hostess lurks in the heart of this lunch?

I haven't seen the movie in literally 20 years though.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 31, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

site posted:

Tatum is way too charming and friendly to be in a DC movie

"We're proud to announce Channing Tatum will play Booster Gold in Justice League 2!"

<Booster shows up with one arm, warning of the dark future where Superman is ruler of all, Batman proceeds to beat him to death while crying>

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I know I saw the first ASM but I can't remember a single thing about it. I somehow escaped seeing the second one entirely.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone at Sony fought to have the ending of Amazing Spider-Man 2 be Peter visiting his Dad's grave and then his Dad also shows up at his grave and tells him he's been in hiding. They literally stole the ending to Metal Gear Solid 4, a series known for ridiculous and so-stupid-it's-silly plot lines, and tried to make it serious and dramatic.

Someone at Sony also thought there was demand for an Aunt May movie.

The person IN CHARGE OF THE ENTIRE SPIDER-MAN PORTFOLIO at Sony thought this:

These are the people we're dealing with here. There is nothing too stupid for them.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but drat. It reads like a loving Onion article.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

BiggerBoat posted:

Why did you say that?

Martha is his mom's name!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If Marvel ever gets the FF movie rights back, they should do it as a period piece set in the 60's. Give it the hopeful "SUPER-Science of Tomorrow!" angle. Like Johnny Quest, except actually interesting and fun.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 5, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I've been kinda lukewarm on the Marvel Netflix stuff to be honest. Daredevil season 1 was ok, but I can't get into season 2 at all. Took me three tries to get through Jessica Jones because I kept getting bored.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

kaesarsosei posted:

I would probably have given up on JJ except for Kilgrave/Tenant who was awesome. I also am not really looking forward to DD3 or JJ2, I really think there's enough suitable Marvel heroes to have at most 1, maybe two seasons before leaving them and moving onto another hero.

I like (most of) the cast of JJ, but it felt like a huge chunk of the story was just filler. If it had just been JJ dealing with Kilgrave and hanging with Luke it would have been a much stronger season. I couldn't force myself to care about her talk show host friend or the dumb cop who was apparently supposed to be Nuke.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Isn't that due more to how this Booster Gold project started as an extension of the CW shows? I don't think it was ever intended to be part of the BvS/Justice League cinematic universe.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If I remember correctly wasn't Paul Walker offered the role before Routh was but he didn't want to sign a long-term deal?

Huh. I guess Returns could have been worse.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Toxxupation posted:

To pivot: DC’s Geoff Johns Reveals How ‘Justice League’ Will Address ‘Batman v Superman‘ Criticisms

If it was literally anyone else saying this poo poo I'd believe it, but how many goddamn times has Geoff Johns gone on record that the current state of DC (in some form or another) is super dark and gritty and pessimistic and that's bad, and then gone on to creatively direct something that ended up being even more grim and gritty and pessimistic, with the added benefit of someone's arm getting ripped off? Should we believe him now because he's not in charge of DC's comics division any more?

Geoff Johns was, is, and always will be a hack and a company stooge. Justice League will be just as pointlessly joyless as the rest of the DC Murderverse.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I still find it hilarious that Batman shot a guy's flamethrower tank, causing it to explode, and drove the Batmobile over two other guys in the same movie.

"Controversial flourishes." :laugh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This actually makes me want to see the movie.

Travis343 posted:

Godzilla 2014 is an amazing goddamn movie, and it sits right toward the middle of the entire Toho screen canon as far as amount of time Godzilla himself is on screen, and his presence is felt throughout the entire movie in a way that very few of the other films ever manage.
Technically, it is on the low end but the point remains that it does a better job of showing Godzilla's impact than all the others combined.

It's such a boring complaint about the 2014 movie. The movie has issues, but lack of Godzilla is not one of them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

WickedHate posted:

He was basically a big scaly superhero in the Japanese version of the Silver Age.

Yeah, he had a victory dance and kids cheered him on and everything. He's only been a "force of nature" in like 4-5 movies, max.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
For me, flying through the air and the victory dance are a sure sign of super hero status. Pretty much any movie where he's obviously intelligent and helping people on purpose.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'd add Godzilla vs Hedorah to that list, if only because it's so loving bizarre. The villain can turn into a UFO and at one point he attacks a go-go club just because. I personally really love the Heisei films. They're all extremely watchable and there's a bit of a running story between them. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is my favorite, again mostly for the insane plot.

I went through and watched almost all of the Godzilla films about two years ago and I read this guy's reviews as I went.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 15, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

catlord posted:

That's what I thought, Criterion's pretty cool, I was just looking at this collection and wondering if it was worth double dipping for the cool fancy version. Oof, wish I had money to throw around.

I have both, and I prefer the Criterion for Godzilla '54. The set is fine, but you're buying it mostly for the other films. The Criterion has an astounding amount of bonus material and it's hard to beat the quality of the film transfer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If you want something a bit more cutting edge, there's always Gamera vs Guiron.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MST3k did two Godzilla movies (Ebirah and Hedorah IIRC), but Toho had a shitfit and they only ever got a single release that was recalled.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Won't it be an issue for Vision since he has a stone embedded in his forehead?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Guys, guys, guys. The real enemy here is thin crust.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

False.

Chicago Style and Rhode Island Style Pizza are abominations unto the culinary lord.

Look at what Rhode Islanders call pizza. Gaze into the abyss.

Look at it.

It's missing a full 1/3 of the essential pizza ingredients. :wtc:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
as an italian-american, it sickens me to my core. I can feel the anger of my ancestors descending upon Rhode Island.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
NY Pizza is fine, but pizza crust so thin it becomes hard and cracker-like is the absolute worst pizza sin you can shove into your pizza-hole.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey, a whole bunch of posts in the thread! Wonder what's going on?

loving food chat. Come on.

Spider-Man delivers pizza.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iogfb1Kgow
We're on topic and you probably enjoy Rhode Island style pizza.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Some minor bits of actual Comic Book Movie News:

- Unsurprisingly, Cumberbatch just confirmed for the first time officially that Dr. Strange is in Infinity War.
- Kevin Feige says that Stan Lee has already shot cameos for the next 4 Marvel films. (Stay strong Stan. :smith:)
- Time Warner's CEO says the Batman solo film is going to drop in the second half of 2018.

Cumberbatch also said they delayed Dr Strange so that he could honor a commitment to perform in Hamlet and still do Strange. I really don't know what to expect of his performance, but I can't help wondering how Joaquin Phoenix would have done.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don't despise him, I just think he's a less interesting choice than some of the other actors who were rumored to be in serious talks for the role.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Endless Mike posted:

I haven't actually seen it.

Nemesis doesn't have a single redeeming feature. V at least has the camping scene and the not-10-forward scene where they confront their inner demons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Aphrodite posted:

Into Darkness is bad, but a modern bad movie is infinitely more watchable than classic Star Trek.

I have seen some abhorrent opinions in this thread before, but this one certainly takes the cake

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mover posted:

Strange poster for the IMAX midnight showing off of Scott Derrickson's twitter:

Coming soon Summer '96

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Two things from the beginning:

I didn't know Godzilla would have multiple mutations in this movie, so when he first showed up in all his googly-eyed radioactive chicken glory I absolutely lost it. My buddies and I laughed so hard we cried. It was amazing.

I loved the constant conference room/meeting/press conference scenes in the first half. Brilliant satire and totally unexpected. I don't think my theater audience "got it" though, because 1/3 of them had walked out after 15 minutes.

Overall, really great and I can't wait for the inevitable sequel.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Retro Futurist posted:

Is Shin Godzilla actiony enough to entertain a 4 year old or does it drag a lot?

It's very dialogue-heavy and there's no english dub yet. I'd say 60-70% of the movie is bureaucratic satire, so any kid is gonna be bored out of their mind. If you want to show them a modern Godzilla, I'd suggest Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack because that movie is bonkers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

redbackground posted:

Uh....ok. Is it, like, really funny or something? :/

Of the ~20 Godzilla films I've seen, it's definitely in the top 5. Most human storylines in Godzilla films are either paper-thin, boring, tedious, or some combination of all three, but Shin Godzilla puts the human storyline in the forefront and it's very entertaining and often hilarious. It's a really well done satire.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

Or songs, so many songs in old Godzilla movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDAzZ7dfIo
punch Punch PUNCH!

I wonder why they waited so long to showcase this stuff in the marketing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I think I hate this.

It sounds like Steve Vai noodling around with Trans-Siberian Orchestra. At least it isn't as generic as most of the MCU scores, I guess. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The important takeaway here is that Yondu has a real Mohawk now. :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jamesman posted:

Well that is certainly a dour tone they are going for with this movie.

I like it. The thought of getting a (relatively) low-budget depressing road trip movie with a near-death Xavier and old washed-up Logan safeguarding a symbol of hope is exciting. That's probably not at all close to what we'll actually get, but the trailer hits all the right buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
As a young nerd in the early 2000's, SM and SM2 came at exactly the right time and they were fun as hell to see in theaters. However, I haven't watched them in a decade and I'm afraid they won't hold up.

• Locked thread