Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Be sure to stay in your seat during the credits after Civil War, because the music is good and a whole lot of people worked really hard on the film so they deserve to have you at least glance at their names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I enjoyed that Tom Holland is apparently able to go toe-to-toe with RDJ in terms of rapid-fire dialogue. I would watch a movie of just that. Neither of them need to suit up and fight bad guys.

Relatedly, "Homecoming", eh?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Shageletic posted:

When did his Spider sense get involved? I don't remember that.

Mildest spoiler ever. There was at least one blink-and-you'll miss it bit in the airport fight where a thing is shown coming toward him from behind and he ducks out of its way without ever looking back at it. It was a very quick cut in a long scene full of them, easily missed. There might be others I did miss.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
That said, Howard the Duck made it into a post-credits sequence. Anything is possible in a post-credits sequence.

qntm fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 9, 2016

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
A Black Widow film sounds like a difficult sell to me, in the same way that a Hawkeye film would be.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Please explain.

Squirrel Girl is more explicitly a comedic character, but their powers are equally silly.

Edit: Basically I'm saying that Marvel has proven they can make action comedy based on C-list characters unfamiliar to the general public.

So now we're back to the Great Lakes Avengers idea.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

DrProsek posted:

And Hugh Jackman leaving after Wolverine 3. I almost want to see all four leave just to see what the films do. If the rumors are true they're already going to have to introduce X-23 without Logan, and XM:A's going to have to really kill it with the new characters to make sequels without the big name actors possible.

I kind of want to see them close the door on this X-Men universe and start over. They've made what, seven films, and about three good ones altogether? Recast everybody, reboot back to X-Men, drop some continuity. It can't be worse.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Clearly she needs the ease of movement. Gymnasts don't wear leather bodysuits, you know.

What, and the guy who can fly doesn't also need freedom of movement?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Huh. That makes a lot of sense, since when I first watched IM2 I thought it was odd that he wasn't drinking alcohol, but every other scene had him swilling down green muck because "his power source was killing him?" And then at his house party he basically acts like a belligerent drunk anyway.

I guess making Tony addicted to the suit instead is/was their alternate angle into that whole storyline.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

The Joker is still considered a villain, right ? A bad guy? THE bad guy most of the time. He murders people constantly. He's a terrorist.

How is adding rape to the list of horrible poo poo Joker does every day as a matter of course detracting from the central tenant of "The Joker is a loving Psychopath Who Must Be Stopped?"

I'm not even saying The Killing Joke involved a rape scene. Been forever since I've read it. But even it did, is that a bridge to far for a guy we're supposed to hate and who commits horrible crimes because HE thinks it's funny to see people suffer?

We're not supposed to hate the Joker to the extent that we stop buying his comics. That's where the line is.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
That comic is different because the people keeping the comfort women weren't long-running, beloved comic book supervillains whose presence in the story was part of the selling point of the book. I think.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
The real question is why there aren't more bear superheroes.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Squizzle posted:

Civil War made Falcon feel like an A-list total rockstar badass. Falcon! He has motorized hang-glider, and a quadcopter linked to his Google Glass, and somehow he seemed spectacular in a movie with Black Panther, Giant Man, two Irons Man, and a robot übermensch powered by an ancient god-stone.

Plus, he's just some guy Captain America met while out running one day! It's pretty ace.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Surely it's only a matter of time before it's the Marvel Cinematic Multiverse.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I like think we live in enlightened enough times now that a man can be a Mary Sue.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's a bit in the prose issue of Morrison's run where the Joker lists things he finds funny, and both of those wouldn't have been out of place.

I was considering actually posting that because both of those things were, in fact, on the list, along with sombreros, real bad news, fish being gutted and Batman. Batman.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Kris Straub is a treasure.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I really genuinely believe Booster Gold is a fantastic fit for film. He has a simple enough origin story that allows for comedy and action, can be slotted into an 'extended universe' without dominating it, is a relatively easy cast since there are tons of directions you can go with him and has superpowers that are incredibly screen-friendly.

Plus you've got that child-friendly Disney-esque sidekick, Skeets! Who turns out to be the villain!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Dacap posted:

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/769927705651392513

Here's Taika Waititi's short from SDCC showing what Thor was doing during Civil War

I laughed a bunch of times so thank you for the link :)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDAzZ7dfIo
punch Punch PUNCH!

I wonder why they waited so long to showcase this stuff in the marketing.

Maybe they were waiting to see how that blacklight poster went down.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Guardians Volume 2 first teaser trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C7W6p5QrO8

I would describe that as underwhelming.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I'm finding it difficult to judge that Logan trailer objectively because Johnny Cash's "Hurt" is such a legendarily good track.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Remember that decent-looking Suicide Squad trailer which was set to "Bohemian Rhapsody"?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

site posted:

I think we should blow things wildly out of proportion like the 5sec cw airport clip that was derided as the worst thing ever put to mcu film but was universally loved when they saw the actual scene

Is now a good time to mention that I didn't like that scene at all really?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

What didn't you like about it? It was fun, dynamic, managed to include everyone and showcase their abilities in fun ways with/against each other...they did the beloved Ant Man arrow teamup move. It had goddamn Spider-Man and Captain America punching each other on the big screen!

Also, the music was pretty good.

It went on too long, and it didn't feel as if anybody was actually making any progress towards taking out anybody else. It was just punching and punching until eventually it was time for somebody to win. And Spider-Man didn't quip enough. In fact, I don't think he quipped once in the entire film.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

... Did, uh, did you watch Civil War and not one of the Raimi Spider-Man films or something? Falcon even literally has a line of dialogue telling Spider-Man people don't usually talk so much during a fight.

Okay, so, what's his quip?

mikeraskol posted:

I think you watched your own special version of the movie or something.

Well, so did you. That's subjectivity for you!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
None of the lines you're referring to are jokes, or funny. He's an awestruck child, no sense of humour of his own is on display here.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
You think Spider-Man is funny in Civil War because you're used to Spider-Man being funny in all of his other portrayals. He's supposed to wisecrack, he's supposed to come up with jokes at the enemy's expense during the fight and use them to make them madder. He's meant to have a sense of humour. But it's not there in the film. The only funny thing he actually says is the remark about Empire being a really old film, and he doesn't say that because he's trying to get a reaction out of anybody, he says it because he's an absolute newbie compared to everybody else in the fight. We laugh at him for being a dumb child - "I didn't carbon date him!" - instead of laughing with him for being smarter than the poor sap he's fighting.

He has this grand entrance where he steals Cap's shield right out his hands, something essentially nobody in the world can do. It's the debut of the real Spider-Man in the MCU, and what's his first line? "Hey, everyone."

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I did laugh at that early one-two between Falcon (I think) and Black Widow, "Has anybody told you you're paranoid?" "No... why, did you hear something?" And I liked the final fight, because it had a clearer progression and it revealed character through the action.

Codependent Poster posted:

Most everyone was holding back because they didn't really want to fight or hurt anyone. Only a few people were really invested in the fight, and that was Cap, Bucky, Tony, and T'Challa. Wanda says Clint is pulling his punches. Rhodey isn't trying to kill anyone even though he has the arsenal to do so. Most of the fight is just trying to disable or counter the abilities of the other squad. gently caress, at the end Natasha even sees how pointless it is and lets Cap and Bucky go.

This might explain a lot as well, I liked the final fight more because there was much less holding back. Of course, just because there's a decent in-story reason for nobody to be actually fighting properly doesn't make the fight feel less like a pillow-fight to me. People just kept getting back up without any obvious sign of damage, until all the gimmicks had been revealed.

qntm fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

purple death ray posted:

So how bout that Lego Batman Movie yall. Is anyone else as completely charmed by the whole aesthetic and character designs as I am? I feel like this is the Batman world I've been missing since B:TAS went off the air.

I really want to spend way too much money on batman lego sets now

The aesthetic of both Lego movies has been great, but honestly the most important thing to me is that every one of the five trailers I've seen has made me laugh out loud.

• Locked thread