Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Marvel Movies actually tend to do pretty well with women. I don't know how BvS did, but MoS and the X-Men movies were heavily slanted towards men.

The first Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy were like 52/48 and 54/46, which people were noting was part of the reason they did so well at the box office.

There weren't many great female characters in the first Avengers, so I blame the fact that Marvel apparently has a mandate to include 2-3 slow pans over a shirtless Chris Hemsworth in every movie he is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SlimGoodbody posted:

I get a little gayer with each Marvel movie

Wait, what is gay about two muscular men in tight pants and tank-tops chopping wood for 3 minutes and then staring into each other's eyes in silence?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Civil War is up to $185 million opening weekend so far. Looks on track to break $200 mil before Monday. Looks on track to be doing Age of Ultron money, which would make it #2 highest grossing Marvel movie (behind the original Avengers.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phylodox posted:

I'm just curious why Sharon's name is also Carter. I thought Peggy only had one brother, who died childless. Did Sharon's dad just happen to also be a Carter? Did Sharon choose to go by Carter out of respect for her awesome great-aunt?

Peggy would never take a man's name.

Also, in Winter Soldier she ends up married with kids. So she is probably great-aunt Peggy and one of her kids kept the name.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 9, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lamont posted:

Is the Rogue Cut of DoFP worth watching? I want to see the film again before Apocalypse comes out and only have time to watch one version.

It doesn't really change a ton, but I'd watch that version if you have a choice between the two and haven't seen the Rogue version.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 9, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ImpAtom posted:

Cap clearly chose Bucky over the suit. :colbert:

Obviously the only path to a stable relationship is Ant-Man style husband and wife matching suits.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Valkyrie is confirmed for Thor 3.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Weird. I just looked up January Jones on IMDB to see what else she has been in and she really only has a major role in Mad Men, First Class, and The Last Man on Earth.

How did she become such a "thing?" I guess she just rode Mad Men all the way, but how did she end up opposite of Jon Ham when her biggest acting credits prior to Mad Men were "Extra in Anger Management" and "Extra in American Wedding."

I think becoming a cultural icon on the strength of one TV show and then doing a terrible job in movies afterwards needs to be called "January Jonesing" or "Pam from the Office Syndrome."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

So is the Supergirl Tv series as horrible as it looks? I was going to give it a shot, but then saw a TV spot for the first episode that actually took the time to have Ally Mcbeal explain to the audience that the title "SuperGIRL isn't sexist, I'm a girl and I'm a successful business woman! You're sexist for thinking it's sexist!" And I decided nope, not for me.

It has a couple interesting moments, but unless you are really desperate for something to fill about 10 hours of your life, I would pick something different.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hakkesshu posted:

There is a ton of 80s stuff in the film, but it's mostly diegetic. There's no real reason why it has to be set in the 80s other than to keep the character ages consistent which is a whole fuckin thing, so it's just a kind of weird decision. It leads to a couple of good gags and some really cool music cues though.

The loving Dazzler easter egg that they teased a few weeks back is just not in the film though, unless I completely missed it :(

It isn't unless I missed it too.

Apocolypse felt like a less good remake of DoFP. It feels really bizarre to watch a remake of a movie that came out 2 years ago.

But everything from the overall plot beats, to the Quicksilver rescue gimmick, to "Eric is good, wait no he's evil!" felt like a rehash. Still a decent movie, but just decent. X-Men and Spiderman have always been my favorite properties and it is kind of a bummer that they have been so hit or miss for so long.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yes, Steve does tell Tony and Tony doesn't take his word for it because he thinks it is a convenient excuse to not bring Bucky in. He also has a time deadline to bring Cap in to Ross and Cap has a time deadline to get to the Hydra base before Zemo (he thinks) is going to activate the other Winter Soldiers.

Tony only believes him after he gets the hard evidence.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thor 3 will incorporate aspects of the "Planet Hulk" comic arc; including Jeff Goldblum hosting a Gladiatorial fight to the death between Hulk and cosmic beings.

Also, Hulk will wear something other than Purple Pants for the first time ever in the MCU.

http://www.avclub.com/article/hulk-might-be-wearing-more-stretchy-pants-thor-rag-237567

The report also says that Hemsworth is getting his head partially shaved during the movie. RIP those beautiful golden curls.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 1, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I thought this was Allison Brie at first and wondered if Marvel made their first major casting fumble.

I actually haven't seen anything she has been in (except 21 Jump Street, but I don't remember her in it). How is she? She's been in a bunch of small stuff and Room, which has very good reviews of her, but I guess part of that is that she's young.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What if all this is a red herring and the reason Chris Hemsworth is getting his head partially shaved during Thor 3 is to get the Carol Danvers haircut and transition into Captain Marvel?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aphrodite posted:

Did you like it less than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

The guy who wrote Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is still writing the Flash movie.

Worst of both worlds scenario.

I thought Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was kind of fun though. :shrug:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

notthegoatseguy posted:

IM2 is basically how bad a movie can be due to Marvel/studio interference.

But Kevin Feige IS Marvel / the Studio and he was the one that was overruled.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Now that Mystique is officially a hero, Bryan Singer says that he wants the next X-Men movie to be a Mystique solo film. With or without Jennifer Lawrence.

http://www.avclub.com/article/bryan-singer-thinks-mystique-should-have-her-own-f-237699

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What if there is a loophole in Odin's rule for Mjolnir? Since it says a "Man" has to be worthy in order to wield it. Technically Groot and Rocket aren't men.

or Frog-Thor.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Even if there is no proof whatsoever to the Singer allegations about under-aged kids, we still know that he was dating and sleeping with 18 and 19 year olds when he was almost 50. Not a huge stretch to think he went a year or two younger.

It may be totally legal, but using your wealth and clout to get teenage twinks to sleep with you and then bullying them into not talking about it is still pretty creepy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Michael Douglas also says that after Cross had Pym kicked out of his own company, Cross was secretly trying to recreate the formula for years by himself. And that Cross was always ambitious and had Daddy issues, but he had gotten unhinged after Pym was kicked out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently Cross had more screen time in the Wright version at the expense of Hope, but yeah, it seems like the script changes from the Wright version weren't that major or were improvements.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Wheat Loaf posted:

He played Fred in the Scooby-Doo movies James Gunn wrote about 15 years ago; Sarah Michelle Gellar was Daphne. That's what I remember him from. :v:

Oh god, I saw this on a Senior Class trip. I had no idea that James Gunn wrote that.

15 years ago... :negative:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lurdiak posted:

Lockjaw is way cooler than any X-men.

Why aren't there more dog superheros? Everyone gets excited about the first black, female, and asian comic leads, but there has yet to be a dog-centric hero.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I meant live-action movie star. Where is my gritty underdog reboot? What breed are they going to cast as Lockjaw?

Phase 4 announcements are coming soon. Marvel needs to get on this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Chill Penguin posted:

You're all wrong, War Machine has just been re-cast again.

Even though it would confuse 90% of their audience and make no sense, I want Marvel to have a really avante-garde and meta movie where War Machine is played by several different actors and it is never acknowledged.

Black Widow gets assigned a solo mission and then at the last second has Iron Man assigned as her partner and the mission veers off into an aerial combat situation where Tony just leaves Widow behind.

Hawkeye is killed within 5 seconds in the first battle involving someone with superpowers or advanced technology.

Stan Lee has a cameo as a scientist played completely straight and delivers a soliloquy about black hole mass.

Hulk has to undergo a mission to save children from an orphanage without Hulking out and endangering them all. The dastardly villain rigs the orphanage to play the Liv Tyler animal cracker scene from Armageddon when Bruce enters. If he gets a boner all the children die.

Aunt May gets progressively younger and hotter throughout the movie, until she is played by Kate Upton in the epilogue. Uncle Ben is played by the same actor from Spider-Man 1.

It is revealed that Dr. Strange has no powers because magic existing is an absurd idea.

Everyone becomes infected with a symbiote at some point.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

#SuperMullet

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BiggerBoat posted:

What's Suicide Squad's timeline in relation to MoS and BvS? I brought it up in the BvS thread but what are the chances we get a Lex cameo in SS that shows him in Arkham?

They said Superman is dead in the trailer, so after BvS.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sony's movie chief said that they want Marvel to help them get the new Spiderman Universe off the ground and then Sony are going to take the reigns in expanding the Universe.

Their first plan is a Silver Sable solo film.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/06/24/sony-reportedly-still-planning-spider-man-universe-silver-sable-/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SonicRulez posted:

It's possible he cut his face. He never cut it OFF.

Fair point, I really should learn to #GiveMarvelAChance. They managed to prove me wrong twice with Guardians and Jessica Jones.

The Silver Sable movie and other non-spidey properties are going to be done by Sony.

Pretty fair to set expectations as low as you can.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Wheat Loaf posted:

So, as Sony starts making Spidey films again, how will they fit into the MCU? Will they be sort of "in it but not of it" like the Netflix shows and to an extent AoS?

Nothing is official, but from what the President of Sony's film division has said, Spiderman will be part of the MCU, but everything else that does not star Spiderman will be a separate thing that acknowledges Spiderman, but not the MCU.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I read an article recently that went into detail about how one of the weaknesses of major blockbusters nowadays is that they are constantly skimping or even effectively removing the second act of the film. Major movies blow their load in the climax and have an hour long first act. The main focus of the article was why Independence Day 2 feels so much worse than the original.

I think beyond all the terrible writing and editing decisions, this really kinda cements why BvS felt totally disjointed and mediocre to me. It had an hour and a half act 1, a 20 minute act 2 with no real stakes, and then an hour long climax.

The article noted that Civil War was a major outlier for a blockbuster because it had it's central action scene at the end of act 2 and opted for a smaller finale. They also had a very short act 1.

Not sure how well that analysis holds up going through every single recent blockbuster, but the difference in pacing between BvS, Civil War, and even Deadpool (although Deadpool wasn't really a blockbuster, so it probably doesn't fit) really does seem to hinge on how they handle the second act.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

When are we going to get a grounded, realistic, and gritty reboot of Project Runway???

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They said they were deploying some "new anti-recording technology" at SDCC to prevent trailers from leaking. What exactly do they mean? What are the odds we get the Guardians 2 and new Dr. Strange trailer leaked after they debut tomorrow?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The tonal shift in Wonder Woman and Justice League from MoS and BvS is MASSIVE.

I liked almost all the footage from Wonder Woman, but it looks like they ran about 75% of the film through the same lovely blue desaturation filter than they did with BvS and MoS.

Justice League looks... interesting I guess? Still love Batfleck, but holy god that Cyborg, Flash, and Aquaman costuming and makeup are awful.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lamont posted:

Are we expecting a new Dr Strange trailer at some point today?

Guardians 2 and Dr. Strange are both having new trailers premiere today, but Marvel says they aren't going to be released publicly until a couple weeks later.

They also have "new anti-filming technology" to prevent leaks; whatever that entails.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MrAristocrates posted:

That Cyborg costume is real loving bad, like "this can't be finished CGI" bad, but the real reason I'm mad is that we're getting DC's Black Friend Cyborg instead of John Stewart, who I loved in the Justice League cartoon. I know the Green Lantern Corps movie will have multiple Lanterns but I don't trust Johns not to make it all about Hal.

I still don't get it. Nobody likes Cyborg. What the gently caress.

Johns and Kevin Smith like Cyborg.

"There are dozens of us! Dozens!"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

i like tacos posted:

I was at the marvel panel and baby groot had everyone "awww"ing. Also Spider-Man looked really fun and definitely made him looked like a high schooler compared to previous movies.

How were the clips? Did they have a finished Vulture costume or Michael Keaton in them?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

In 5 years there is going to be a live-action Disney Infinity movie starring RDJ as Iron Man, Harrison Ford's corpse as Indiana Jones, A CGI de-aged Mark Hamil as Luke Skywalker, and a gritty rebooted version of Mickey Mouse.

It will make 3 billion dollars.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ocean's 12 was so stupid that it should have been either amazing or a trainwreck.

Instead, the whole time I was watching it I kept thinking "How can a movie this unambiguously ridiculous and stupid be so boring?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine it'll be one of those movies where it makes loads of money but it's still a disappointment, like Amazing Spider-Man 2. Or, indeed, BvS itself, where it's one of the top five movies of the year so far, was number-one everywhere in the world and made something like $900m, but was still a "disappointment" because it didn't earn a billion dollars. I mean, that's still better - and a lot better - than every MCU movie except the two Avengers ones, IM3 (which was following up the first Avengers) and Cap 3 (which had all the Avengers in it anyway).

I guess it must be annoying to WB for Disney to have the top three (I think Cap 3, Zootropolis and the live-action Jungle Book are the top three so far?) and potentially the top four if Rogue One does well enough (did Finding Dory get anywhere close to BvS?).

Suicide Squad needs to get $800m to break even, right? That seems a bit mad to me. I imagine the movie itself must have cost about $200m (that's about the standard for action blockbusters nowadays), so how much were they spending on marketing it?

(I'm fascinated by this sort of thing even if I don't really understand it. :shobon:)

Finding Dory is actually the #1 Domestic Box office of 2016. It just barely edged out Civil War.

Civil War made a lot more internationally though.

• Locked thread