Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

X-O posted:

Controversial opinion alert! I think Zemo is my favorite MCU film villain. The part isn't large, there's not much screen time, and he's very much not the traditional villain. Nor does he have much in common with the comic version, but I loved the way he was used and Daniel Bruhl's performance was excellent.

:agreed:

It was a really good subversion of a villain's grand plans, albeit undertold. I was left wanting more because what we got was really good, as opposed to, say, Ant-Man, where the underpinnings of a good villain were there in Cross but told disjointedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Sion posted:

Like- 'here is a heavy handed metaphor about being a gay teenager

I don't think this is fair. It's on the nose for sure, but appropriately so given the times. Being gay was still Not Okay for much of the country and making the mutant=gay metaphor was a valuable one to tell a mass audience.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Apocalypse felt like 4 movies at once and none of them were good.

Did anyone else get a message before the movie from the actress who played Storm talking about how so many people worked really hard on it? Or have a text message at the end again talking about all the jobs the movie created?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
The best costuming is when Apocalypse gives three horsemen nearly full body armor but only gives Psylocke a leotard.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Clearly she needs the ease of movement. Gymnasts don't wear leather bodysuits, you know.

Counter point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97hO7FlaAok

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Also he wasn't raped, he said his parents kept him from certain parties so he wouldn't be raped. Unless he saw something, any claim of his would probably be hearsay.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
"Hyper-sensitive", Jesus Christ get hosed.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
wait Logan is a road movie with Wolverine and Charles? sign me the gently caress up.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I thought the movie took place after Avengers, but before the other phase 2 films. There is a mention of an officer whos spine was twisted by experimented armor, which is the Hammer one from IM2.

I thought that was a reference to Rhodey's accident in Civil War?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

howe_sam posted:

I don't mean this as a slight because I generally enjoy his work, but how the hell does Bradley Cooper have four Oscar nominations?

It's kind of deceptive in that only 3 are for acting but he was also a producer for American Sniper so the Best Picture nomination for that movie is included.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Saw GotG2 today. Marvel's really getting their money out of that deaging technology. Probably the best quality of it yet.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I have a soft spot for the "I'm always angry" scene in the first Avengers. I love that insight into Banner's struggle and then his destruction of the space worm with a single punch is just... wonderful.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
only loosely connected to marvel movies:

https://twitter.com/suekichiii/status/880398065571516419

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
sounds like a potential meet cute.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
the worst part about ASM was the the construction crew inspired by the sight of the giant american flag to turn all the conveniently placed cranes in the same direction for Spider-Man to start web slinging. It's like they wanted to go for a similar scene as in the original Spider-Man but missed that the wave of patriotism post-9/11 has died down considerably.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Man, Spider-Man was so good. I really liked the way they put you in Pete's mindset at the start by recapping his adventure in Civil War only to just dump him back in his normal life and have no contact with him. He so badly wants to be return to the grand adventure but is stuck in the monotony of being a kid and that informs everything he does.I was also pleasantly surprised at how little Iron Man there wound up being. I feel like it was talked about being a team-up movie but it really wasn't anything of the sort. Just a really enjoyable film overall. And definitely stay for the stinger. That cannot be stressed enough.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Medullah posted:

Mysterio was used to perfect effect on the PS2 Spider-Man 2 video game. The most epic final boss fight ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MZIU_feIk

Why did the Spider-Man 2 game star Harry Potter?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Having just played Horizon: Zero Dawn, it at times felt like Peter was fighting a Stormbird.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

X-O posted:

The hype for Batman '89, both before and after the film, was like nothing we've ever seen for a comic book movie since. It was literally everywhere and everyone was crazy about it. You could not escape it at all.

looking back, the looney tunes promo that airs on the batman 89 VHS is hilariously odd but makes sense given the time.

https://youtu.be/8JJz-yLaArs

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

howe_sam posted:

People pay waaaaaaay too much attention to movies in preproduction.

this is true. i do feel like WB has not done themselves any favors, though. the amount of PR around BvS and Suicide Squad's production from beginning to end was drat excessive.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Someone should do a story about the perfectly functional airport in the Savage Land that was built after everyone kept crashing there and how utterly bored the staff are.

What If... the Savage Land had an airport?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Wrong Thread.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 3, 2017

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Ben Foster is great in everything, including Get Over It, The Punisher and Big Trouble.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
god drat i am hyped for Black Panther.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Fangz posted:

I am reminded of the analysis video of that scene in Cap 2 where they said it would have been way more powerful without a voiceover. But I get the sense that the MCU doesn't want to be 'powerful'.

what scene is this?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i like seeing my toys come to life

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
also Logan gave closure to two of three characters anyone cared about from the X-Men movies.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

woof

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i saw black panther tonight and liked it a lot.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/chrisfrom_216/status/966462864272838656

https://twitter.com/michaelb4jordan/status/966827329434669056

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d say Strange is worth a watch (it’s currently up on Netflix US). Cumberbatch and the overall plot are fairly mediocre, but the Dormammu “fight” is great and Ejiofor and Wong do well with their unfortunately limited roles. Mads was completely wasted but “Mr Doctor” is a fantastic exchange.

I really think you could have elevated the film just by switching some of the casting. Have Mikkelson or Ejiofor play Strange, Cumberbatch as Wong, Benedict Wong as Mordo or the Ancient One. The plot would still be thin but at least you wouldn’t have a weak lead and three wasted talents.

I really liked Ejiofor’s development in Dr Strange. I’m not at all familiar with Strange’s rogue gallery, so his turn at the end both caught me by surprise but made sense with his character.

Timby posted:

To be fair, that's hardly unique to Doctor Strange. Thor 2 had Christopher Eccleston then made the inexplicable decision of putting him under 20 pounds of makeup and having 99 percent of his dialogue be gibberish. Iron Man 2 almost completely wastes both Rourke and Rockwell. Lee Pace is criminally under-used in Guardians 1. Daniel Bruhl is a complete non-entity in Civil War, as is Robert Redford in Winter Soldier, and I can't remember a single thing Corey Stoll did in Ant-Man.

Corey Stoll’s character is the most disappointing villain to me because you could see the pieces of his dissent into madness at wanting to be like Hank but was told so incoherently. there was nothing sensible about the way his motivations played out.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Koalas March posted:

1. Black Panther
2. Ragnarok
3. Guardians 2
4. Homecoming
5. Civil War

edit: lmao just realized what all these movies had in common.

i feel the same way, even down to the realization you had.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Koalas March posted:

I say this a lot but it's really beneficial for white people to get out their comfort zones and go to places where they're the only white face a couple times. Then remember that that's how a lot of poc feel constantly.

for real. i’ve had 2 distinct moments of doing exactly this and the emotional discomfort it brought on made a significant impact in broadening my perspective.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

I can freely admit that IW is going to be a terrible mess and probably not a good film, but I know I'm still going to enjoy the poo poo out of it.

sweet, that’s good to know.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
maybe it is true, though.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Karloff posted:

So, I wouldn't be too hard on Cameron, his arguments are misguided but he's just lashing out a system that has somewhat left him behind, audiences want something else now. And in another thirty years what they want will be unrecognizable to us now. And so it goes on.

Cameron’s made 2 movies in the last 20 years so don’t think it’s the system that left him behind.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i liked infinity war a lot. the stinger was very cheesy and left a big dumb smile on my face.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Regarding Tony’s suit i liked the touch of Tony become more and more exposed as the nanotech reorganized to keep his attack up because Thanos was beating the pieces off.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
huh... i was looking up whether that dumb THANOS theory was fulfilled and it turns out there as a massive plot leak on 4chan back in November that was probably 85% accurate. Not in a speculative way either - all the major plot points were there, just minor details probably indicative of an earlier draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
That the letters of his name are an acrostic for the location of each Infinity Stone.

Teaseract (Space)
H? (Soul)
Aether (Reality)
Necklace (Time)
Orb (Power)
Scepter (Mind)

• Locked thread