Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ImpAtom posted:

Unlike in Civil War he arrests people for committing actual real crimes and is disgusted that that the Raft is used. He does have his hands tied about going after Zemo... except that turns out to be completely right and going after Zemo without any oversight is exactly what he expected and lead to the final fight.

Of course government oversight didn't stop Zemo from getting to Bucky in the first place, either. As Steve said, all it did was shift the blame. The UN isn't better than the Avengers. They aren't worse. They are just a different group of people making their own judgement calls. Ultimately Steve wants to be the one making the call for himself, and so does Tony. That's why he goes after Zemo. The Accords were always going to be a failure, because other than maybe Rhodes and Vision nobody really believed in them. They just believed that things would get worse if they didn't sign them. Steve wasn't willing to pretend, and Tony was willing to pretend to get leverage. Two different mindsets that were always going to be in conflict.

quote:

Even though almost everything he does in the film is a mistake.

I don't know, if he didn't go after Bucky Bucky probably would have killed a lot of cops and got away. Or gotten killed for something he didn't do, probably by poor T'Challa. Probably good he intervened. And he was absolutely willing to compromise until he heard Wanda was under house arrest. That was really the thing that kicked the whole conflict off, not Bucky. Bucky he just wanted to bring in on his own, it's Wanda that got him to flat out reject the Accords for the last time.

quote:

The answer to Civil War is "wow, Tony and Steve are both kinda shitheads, shame for everyone they dragged into it."

This though is fundamentally true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ImpAtom posted:

Tony did believe in the accords.

The absolute second they meaningfully get in his way and he can't just bluff his way around oversight he just fucks off and does what he wants. He doesn't believe in them. He just doesn't believe in himself either. That's the only difference between him and Captain America going into it. Tony is filled with guilt over what their actions have cost people, and Cap is more of a soldier and rationalizes loss as a thing that sometimes happens in the line of duty. Tony can't rationalize loss, so he clings to the idea of accountability. He just doesn't actually believe in that accountability when it comes time to be accountable to it. He just wants some authority figure to say what he's done is ok, that he's not a monster killing people's babies, and that he can put on his suit and help people with his conscience clean. And that's a perfectly noble and rational desire, it's just not particularly conductive to being a super-hero. And at the end of the day he is a super-hero.

quote:

Early on Tony seriously tried to get Cap to compromise and Cap was unwilling

Again, he absolutely was. He wanted a bit of oversight into how it would work, but he was absolutely willing to start to compromise until he heard about Wanda. That was it, that's the thing that broke them up. Tony being "pro-active" in getting in front of the situation and locking her up to keep her from scaring people. Tony doesn't do that, Steve sits down and signs it. Of course the ending might have still happened. You miss out on a bit of the emotional damage in the airport fight, but you'd still have Steve and Tony and some dead parents. Tony isn't right, Tony isn't wrong. Steve isn't right, Steve isn't wrong. They both made some mistakes and tried to do the best they could in a trying situational, and honestly they might have. That honestly might have been the best they could have done to navigate through some serious mindfucks. The only person in the 'right' is T'Challa. He recognizes that revenge is poison and lets it go, and saves the life of the man who killed his father so he can see justice. Not vengeance, but justice. And then he tries to help someone who so clearly hasn't been helped by anyone before. T'Challa comes out looking pretty good at the end of this one, and Steve and Tony both come out looking a bit sad and battered.

e: Also I thought the movie did a good job of keeping moments of levity while also keeping the emotion real. Never too jokey that it couldn't pivot into real poo poo without it seeming forced.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 6, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Tony knows he isn't trustworthy. That's his flaw. He can see what he needs to do but also can't trust himself to do it. He even says as much in the film. He blew up all his suits and them promptly kept getting back into the suit because he can't stop himself even though he knows he should.

The problem is he's just as wrong when he signs the Accords, because all he's done there is agree that the governments of the world have oversight over a group that was ultimately never going to listen to the governments of the world. It's trying to mitigate one problem in a way that is doomed to fail and then raise seven other problems down the road. And yes, Captain America doesn't have a better answer. He just knows that that is the wrong one. It doesn't make him better. It doesn't make him worse. Tony believes in trying to back the wrong play in the hopes they can make it better rather than doing nothing as everything goes to hell, and Steve believes that you don't do the wrong thing even if everyone wants you to. Neither is wrong, or right. They are just opinions really, and in any given situation either outlook might be the best one at the time. That's the tragedy.

quote:

He wasn't willing to compromise

You keep saying that about a man that literally picked up a pen and started compromising. Why?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Because he picked up the pen and was still hesitating and the second he heard something he disliked he changed his mind in a moment while angrily telling Tony off without making a single argument beyond 'that's wrong.' He was tempted but proved he wasn't actually willing.

Well yeah, that's why it's compromising. It's making concessions to what you actually want to reach an agreement. Nobody is ever loving happy about it, or it wouldn't be a compromise. And you say "something he disliked" like it wasn't illegally detaining one of their friends. Like it was just some minor little thing. Face it. He was willing to compromise with the situation until new information came up. He thought it was wrong, but he was willing to sit down and make changes until it was something everyone was happy with until he heard they were locking up his friends.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Right, and what is the other solution?

Who cares? It's like if you told me you had a plan to solve the deficit and it involved raping nuns and orphans: The counter to me telling you that's insane isn't "Yeah, but what's your idea?". You are wrong, your wrongness is an intrinsic quality that in no way requires my having a better idea in that moment. Tony is wrong, the UN is wrong, and their idea was never workable. The fact Cap doesn't have a better idea doesn't change that. All he did was save them time. Now they know a bunch of people that were never going to listen to them won't listen to them. Now, whatever they do next, at least it'll be more realistic a solution.

quote:

Captain America took an untrained Scarlet Witch on missions and it killed a dozen people because she wasn't prepared for it and because he himself hosed up when he got Bucky thrown in his face.

Nah, that's bullshit. He took her on missions because that's how you train people, and he gives himself poo poo in an unrealistic manner. Just because he says he's wrong doesn't make him wrong, a suicide vest set off drat near instantly isn't something he has much of a way to ever figure out. It's not something most people go for. Neither of them are in the wrong. It was a lovely situation they handled the best way possible. If Wanda wasn't there, they probably get away with the biological weapon in the first place.

quote:

So if Tony had asked Wanda and she'd agreed to it then presumably there would have been no issue but Cap didn't even bother to check that. It is his way or the highway. "No, you move" as the film puts it.

Are you writing fan fiction to justify your beliefs now?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Except that isn't what the Accords involved at all? Like there's no point in the film where the Accords are Secretly Evil. Claiming that it is on par with raping nuns is frigging ridiculous because there's nothing in the film to suggest that.

Edit: The ending of the film is Cap sending Tony a letter that is apologizing, suggesting that they're both doing what they think is right, and Cap saying he'll be there if Tony needs him. I'm pretty sure if the Accords were Evil Puppy Raping then Cap wouldn't be offering that.

.......morality was never an issue raised, sanity was. The Accords are a bunch of politicians telling a group, whose defining moment was ignoring the orders of a bunch of politicians in order to save New York by the way, that it'd be a good idea if they listen to politicians. This is not a viable solution to anything.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

On the other hand...if they don't answer to politicians then who do they answer to? What comprises their oversight? Are there any oversights for the Avengers? Do they seriously have no oversight at all? That's insane as well.

Sure. It's a lovely world with no great answers. You can listen to the politicians, and maybe they try to nuke New York or turn out to be actual Nazis building an orbiting death fortress. Or you can just let exceptional people do whatever the gently caress they want, and maybe they build a killer robot with an orbiting death fortress. Either way you are probably going to die when a falling building lands on your head.

e:

ImpAtom posted:

"Politicians never solve anything! It can only be solved when great men take actions into their own hands"

There was no solution. That's the drama of it. Once it got to the point it did, Helmut or no, it was never having a happy ending. The basis of the Avengers is exceptional people stepping outside the status quo to solve an esoteric, world threatening problem. The basis of Avengers 2 is those same people stepping outside the status quo to cause an esoteric, world threatening problem. How do you make those two points coincide into a functioning world view? You don't. The policy that prevents Avengers 2 destroys New York in Avengers 1. Does that suck? Yes. Tough, for everyone involved.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 6, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Zemo's entire plan would've fallen apart phenomenally if Bucky took a bullet to the brain at any point before he was able to interrogate him, wouldn't it

Do you remember the beginning of the film? This was all Plan B for him. Plan A involved the far less violent "Torture a Hydra Agent to get this information quickly and efficiently.". What a far different movie we would have had if that happened. And if Bucky failed, he might have had a Plan C or D. He was an insanely driven man with nothing to do but focus on destroying the Avengers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

Congrats on holding a minority opinion.

It's loving laser focused on a very specific audience. If you are in that audience, great. If you aren't, it's a giant pile of wank. And that's fine, because some people are in that audience and it's explicitly being written for them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

His pain and frustration is sold with all the sincerity of someone wondering who farted. But that's more on Cavill I guess.

No he's made other movies, he has the full range of human emotion available to him. That's just how he's being directed.

e:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well again not to sound smug

And as a side note if anyone in this thread has felt smug about a single thing they posted in it, you really shouldn't have.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 19, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't disagree, but the joke is only included as distracting fluff

It's bonding for Falcon and Bucky, if nothing else. Along with "Can you move the seat?" "....no.", it gives you a picture of their relationship in the short moments they have to work with.

quote:

It's a very mediocre scene, suffering from a lot of the things that ails MCU movies, and the joke is there to take away the viewer's attention from those things. It worked, don't get me wrong, so in that sense it was a "good" joke. I guess.

It's called a palette cleanser, and it's the reason people generally like CW better than BvS. And it's manifestly not mediocre, because so many people loved it. It may not be great, it may be the easy option, but it's exactly what it was intended to be and it did exactly what it needed to, and people responded to it. By definition that makes it a good scene.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Travis343 posted:

I learned that the flash made wonder woman laugh on a rooftop and it takes three people to take a mask off of Ben Affleck

To be fair that's because he's fighting two of them off while the third guy finally grabs it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hopefully he fucks off to wherever Sam Worthington is now.

Making 3 more Avatar films.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's why MoS and BvS are actually pretty authentic about the concept of "superheroes in the real world".

No they aren't, because we've actually been exploring the concept of the demigod for thousand of years, and most people are smart enough to go "Maybe being really strong and fast and flying around isn't actually enough to solve deep seated systemic problems we as a society face". It's cute and makes for great photo ops, and nobody is going to turn it down when they are in trouble, but at the end of the day life goes on and there's really only so much a 'superman' can do.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
making GBS threads on it and throwing it in a trash can is all I can think of, it's too soupy to light on fire.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

WickedHate posted:

But when will we get X-24, the Wolverine version of this guy?

That's be his son, who has rape powers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

WickedHate posted:

At first I thought you were making an inexplicable and crass joke before I remembered that is actual canon. :sigh:

Nobody needs to make an inexplicable and crass joke about the plotlines of comic books, they do that just fine on their own.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's effectively like the Ant-Man teaser that takes place like halfway into Civil War.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's going to be difficult to balance all of those character interactions and still tell a compelling story. Avengers alone had to sell you on, what, 6-10 big MCU characters coming together and interacting? It was a disjointed mess and Infinity War looks to at least double that cast.

2:20 or so, and you drop the hammer from the word go. 20 minutes maybe of getting into it, then flat out. It'd be fine.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
She's not a great actor, and she doesn't have a lot of range. That's true of like 90% of all actors. The thing is most of them aren't on Mad Men, and most of them don't have that certain type of attractiveness. As a result she got cast for a whole lot of things she was a terrible fit for. She's a perfectly fine actor if you give her something in her grasp and direct her well, same as most actors.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Well I mean over a long enough timeline the possibility of Disney owning something reaches 100%, so it'll happen at some point.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Or maybe they could just get writers who can do the job they're hired for?

Stories are organic things. They are as long as they are. Setting an arbitrary point and saying "Your story needs to be this length" is always a gamble, and it generally only pays off if you have *more* ideas than can fit into that time. It can sometimes pay off by making writers really examine those ideas and cut them down to the most interesting, or make them flow in the most economic way possible. And even then it can just as often hurt the story. When the story is shorter and you try to force it to be longer? That's just asking for misery. The thing I'm looking forward to is in 10 years or so when it's completely blase to put poo poo online only, and people just acknowledge that maybe this season isn't a season, it's a 2 and a half hour movie. Maybe next season is 10 episodes. Maybe the one after that is 8. Maybe you legitimately have 20 episodes for the final season. Let the story be whatever it is, and don't try to fit some arbitrary ad based matrix that lost relevance sometime shortly after the 1950s ended, and whose undead spirit has been haunting televised fiction ever since.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah, that was kind of my complaint too. Every single corrupt cop had a cop out/reason for being corrupt. The only out right racist cop is the one who fucks with Cage in prison, and while he's clearly a racist POS, it's also in a flashback. Even Misty's partner got a post-death excuse for being an evil, corrupt cop because his daughter died or some poo poo.

That's stupid, there were plenty of corrupt cops with no real excuse. Like yeah, his kid died and he lost his it. So? It's not like he was using the money to save other kids or some poo poo, he wasn't even using the money at all. He was just working for a gunrunning criminal for the sheer nihilistic despair of it all. Or that cop who beat the poo poo out of an underage kid, so what he knew one of the guys that died? How the gently caress is beating the poo poo out of a kid that didn't know anything going to help? Misty's new boss was totally corrupt too, just not in the cliche criminal way. Just in the cliche "Careerist politician" way. There were plenty of loving terrible cops all over that thing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Sion posted:

Well, he is the Sorcerer Supreme. Like, if he just wandered into a Hulk book and was like 'aye, pal, nae a fuckin' scooby sorry hen' it'd be... odd. For one thing, he'd sound like he was from Glasgow.

I don't know, they had a super team for awhile. The Defenders. I'm sure he's just randomly talked some poo poo with Banner a bunch of times. When Doctor Strange, the Hulk, Namor, and the loving Silver Surfer roll up? You are not going to have a good day. They probably are, like half that team is stone cold sarcastic assholes of the highest order. All the love in the world to the Netflix shows, but that is not the members of the Defenders it'd be the most entertaining to see.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

The original comic is an interesting look at someone's personal fallout from grief. The million 'sequels' and adaptations it had largely miss the point, but the general principle is fine.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

X-O posted:

I think that would have actually turned out really well. Probably not as well as Pratt though as Howerton isn't quite as naturally likable.

Howerton with an extra 50 pounds of muscle would be fine for the original style "Kind of a well meaning sociopath" Starlord, but Pratt nails the "Semi-retarded goof" Starlord.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Stallone and his group have a different name in the comics.

The Guardians of the Galaxy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
He's not saying Refn is the director, he's saying he wants to beat you to death with a hammer. Because those Universal Soldier movies were waaay better than they had any right to be.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe it's just the colouring but that just looks like regular 30-40 year old Cap with a beard? His hair looks more blond than grey to me.

Super Soldier Serum, he ages well.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

He was already in predator

And he was loving amazing in it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I hope we get the actual movie that Trank wanted someday.

or as close as it can get.

You basically can, it's not like the vast majority of his poo poo isn't out there to see. It's still a loving terrible film, just a terrible film that would have less stand ins and bad wig game.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Half your budget domestic opening weekend is actually pretty good.

Generally they have a strong weekend. This had a strong Friday plus Thursday night. If it hangs on a bit, it could be 'ok'. If it keeps falling off [Word of mouth and reviews have been horrific, but that doesn't always matter with a movie like this] then it's going to be bad. Which is to say: Literally nothing of any worth can be said this early on except for that fact it's probably going to do amazing for a movie where one of the main characters is poo poo.

e: And also one them is Patrick Stewart playing a poop emoji.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 31, 2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Jamesman posted:

Tommy Wiseau as Doctor Doom.

Think about it.

It'd explain a lot about his life, sure.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Needless to say "Erik Killmonger" isn't a traditional Wakandian name. Basically when Klaw comes in he forces Killmonger's dad to help him, the dad gets killed when poo poo goes down, and the entire family is forced out. Killmonger trains himself, changes his name, studies at MIT [Who in the Marvel universe probably don't blink twice at a student named "Killmonger"], and goes back to Wakanda with the intent of returning it to it's roots. As you do.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I love that no one puts this much energy into explaining why the latest beige cube from Marvel is the best ever.

Nobody really puts that much effort into explaining why anything is the best ever. The only thing that gets that much effort is explaining why things sucked and are flawed.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Fangz posted:

Movies with Mikey are pretty good, positive reviews.

And they average about 20, 25 minutes. This is part one and is clocking in at an hour and a half.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I still find it hilarious I live in a world where Thor 3 will end up being more successful than a Justice League movie in all probability. Strange days.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

One of my main issues with Gotham is that it felt really futile. We know nothing can really change in the city until Batman shows up so that kind of lowers the stakes a lot.

Unless they kill Bruce. I’d respect that.

Well they did the alternative thing which is effectively have Batman show up early. Thankfully the kid they picked has put on like a foot since they started, so that helps a lot.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I mean I can't wait to see the trailer and I'll probably watch it a million times, but do people really post reaction vids to trailers on YT? :staredog:

You are old now, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Poor was supposed to die, Finn was being set up as the male lead which Rian switched to Kylo for some reason 🤔

Because Adam Driver is a really, really good actor.

e: Which isn't to say John Boyega is a bad actor, it's just that given the option of who to give more screen time in this movie the answer should pretty much always be "Adam, Daisy, or Mark".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 20, 2017

• Locked thread