Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Avengers: Thanos Imperative and finally Avengers: Great Lakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

I'll be interesting to see the international.

Captain America previously didn't do so good in many countries because he's Captain America. But everyone knows this is basically Avengers.

They chose the wrong side.

It's already passed a quarter billion internationally, broke some records even and it's yet to even debut in China. This is gonna be a freaking strong movie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Fangz posted:

I think Tony and Steve should kiss

The final bit was Tony covering himself from Steve's Poor Man Cooties

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Picklepuss posted:

My life has been a series of dumb decisions, why should this be any different.

Because we finally get a good Spidey in a movie, it's been like 15 years in the making.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Picklepuss posted:

See, for me a good Spidey wouldn't side with Iron Man. I'll admit though I've only seen three Marvel movies (Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and the first Captain America) so I don't know if Cinematic Iron Man is the same fascist bastard that Comic Book Iron Man is. So I could be totally wrong.

Then watch the second Captain America movie, which is way better than the first, and then if you liked that one watch this one since it's a direct follow up and also both are Real Good Stuff.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They really need to make an 80's golf sports movie for Hawkeye's solo movie. Introduce Bullseye there and you got something.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I really, really liked that by the end of Zemo's plan he just doesn't really have anything. He got his objective, Revenge, and a handgun so he can at least not die of frostbite. I really want to assume that getting to the bunker drained the very last penny he had and he has no resources by the end.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

what would happen if vision had hit Falcon? I assume he would have gone down like Rhodes, but would anyone have gone after him? Seems weird to me, like I felt they would have just let him fall and kept tracking the quintet.

He probably would've gone down but been able to ease his landing somewhat by using his wings or maybe they expected some safety measure, either way it wouldn't have been nearly as harsh as Rhodes having to deal with falling straight down with an actual ton of metal on him. I don't remember well but both Tony and Rhodes were in the air on that bit, right? worst case scenario Rhodes picks up Sam in the air, puts him down and joins Tony who keeps tracking the Quinjet, maybe Vision joins up.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Watch Spider-man: Homecoming to find out, true believer!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Heathen posted:

This means they are still doing an Inhumans movie and neither the Agents of SHIELD storyline nor Indiana Jones 5 getting the date have stopped them.

Inhumans and Cyborg will have full trilogies out before anything from Agents of SHIELD is referenced in an MCU movie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'd rather the MCU start focusing on an actual male superhero character with actual super powers over a guy in a suit of armor that's really good at doing that arm pointing to shoot missiles and beams thing that Iron Man does.

Anyways I hope that the secondary cast that doesn't have full names yet on Spider-man: Homecoming end up being some more young heroes, like just show that they got powers in a scene or two and later on in Phase 4 reveal them as Squirrel Girl, White Tiger and Wiccan

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

Hang around the X-Men too long and you catch "Actually a Mutant Syndrome"

It's not too bad usually unless you start liking redheads, that's the point of no return.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I'd argue they're the most successful. The best? Eh. Even in terms of success they have to compete with the Nolan Batman films.

I mean, Dark Knight was excellent and all but most of the MCU is fairly 'better' than Begins and Rises.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I am really trying to think of any major black male superheroes that haven't been adapted yet, and I can only think of Blue Marvel and Goliath. Michael B Jordan as Blue Marvel would be kind of awesome.

Finally it's time for RAGE to shine. :getin:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Robbie Reyes netflix show tho. Begin the West Coast Avengers initiative.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I always felt that Thor 1 was just fairly clunky and then Thor 2 is like okay with some fun action scenes at the end.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The funniest part of Civil War will always remain the out-of-nowhere random kiss they included just to make sure that the entire film wasn't about Captain America's desperate lust for Bucky, only 99% of it.

I always took that kiss as "okay and lets wrap up this romantic subplot that's gotten creepy since revealing who she is by having them both tell each other that there is no chemistry here and the kiss meant nothing. Now Bucky and Sam get the best bit in the movie."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I still don't get why people say that kiss is a rushed attempt to give Steve a love interest, they have 0 chemistry the whole movie, when they kiss they both just go "yeah this is dumb/too late" and end that subplot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from CineD

:allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O1pJt7_EcU

Indeed and this high school bully doesn't look a day over 27

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Saw Suicide Squad, its got some funny moments but on the whole it's an editing mess and really not what that trailer made you think once you get pass the first act.

First act was totally a work of post-production, the Top 40s FM soundtrack is mostly present there, then there's like forty minutes until another popular song is played, there's also the flashbacks that explain the characters happening then which were... oddly "powerful", like you got poo poo about how hosed up Harley and Joker's relationship is, you got Will Smith trying to be a good father, half of Diablo's explanation, a gag scene with Boomerang and some vague stuff with Killer Croc, it works as stages of depression but they were too big for the first act, like i'm sitting here wondering why should I care about Will Smith trying to raise his daughter and have her taken away from him four minutes after meeting him? I get the feeling that Ayer's original intention that didn't do as well with test audiences would've sprinkled the flashbacks throughout the film so they're stronger thanks to their placement, specially because it made Slipknot's death all the more obvious. We get every flashback and then it's like "Oh hey, there's a guy named Slipknot that wasn't marketed" you wonder why you never heard of it, then you get Katana and she gets her flashback immediately so, of course, before the first proper action scene starts Slipknot dies.

Film about the stages of grief represented as villain characters, sure, it's neat, Flag is Denial, Katana is Anger, Will Smith is Bargain, Croc is probably Depression and Diablo is Acceptance, Harley also works as Denial but i'm putting her sorta above since she's a doctor (though wrongly calls Will Smith a Sociopath, term that hasn't been actually valid for years) that knows how this actually works and her grief comes flatly at the end of the second act (Joker's "aaAAAhh" was funny tho). So of course, Diablo being a latino and also the embodiment of acceptance, dies in a Y-7 Mortal Kombat fight that was filmed months after primary shooting ending, otherwise why was everything so utterly foggy for no reason.

The villain has nothing to do with our heroes, Will Smith, Harley Quinn and their sidekicks never meet her until the final fight, she also has a brother who does most of the interactions and she just lets him die. Deadshot's mask is dumb. Jared Leto is a boring Joker. It's nice that Joker is just a lamp there for Harley's motivations tho. Idk how some explosives stopped this ethereal portal of unexplained doom. Most of the second act is just boring action, the cast gets two scenes to be an ensemble that bounces off each other, Kroc and Boomerang are barely present and yeah this is just pretty flat.

Why the heck didn't The Flash do anything about the conflict of the movie?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

One thing I keep thinking of, who shot down the helicopter when the SS was coming to the city? Yeah, the rockmenthings could use their guns but did they mount a turret or get a machinegun? and somehow shot exclusively the suicide squad copter but let the other two go as well as a couple other helicopters we saw throughout the movie?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

teagone posted:

I honestly believe if WB execs didn't gently caress around and hire a movie trailer studio to make a Bohemian Rhapsody/Ballroom Blitz infused cut of the film, Ayer's vision and final cut of Suicide Squad would have contained maybe 1 or 2 popular music tracks at most. Maybe even zero. I'm an ardent proponent of the DCEU films and am a bigger fan of DC in general, but even I can see it's wholly obvious that the inclusion of tracks from the Rolling Stones, White Stripes, etc. was an attempt to mimic the quirky music success of other anti-hero films (Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy) as a reaction to how poorly BvS was received. The Hollywood Reporter article about the hidden drama behind Suicide Squad's production backs that up.

Definitely. The top 40s fm stuff just isn't really a part of a movie, it's slapped on the first act to change the tone of the scenes and then at the last twenty minutes they put another two or three, like there's a whole 40 minutes of sub-par action that just has zero of that style going on because there's only so much you can do in post.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Maybe doing a good movie with a straightforward script and decent editing would net WB that fabled highly successful movie?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I am so hyped to see Valk in Thor 3. I still wish Enchantress was in it with Executioner, but thanks Suicide Squad.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/18/zendayas-spider-man-role-could-break-the-internet

So according to this Zendayas's role in Homecomming is Mary Jane Watson. I cannot imagine a reason to be upset at that news other than being racist as gently caress.

From character in disney channel tween comedy show about music #5864 to Mary Jane Watson in four years is a pretty awesome career path.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Zendaya is already the best, most accurate depiction of Mary Jane tbh

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Deathstroke should've been renamed Slade ages ago.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I was flabbergasted when I saw SM2 again a year or two ago and noticed that it ended with Dunst dumping JJJJr right at the altar in front of all their friends and family with a loving note. Jameson's son is such a nice person throughout the movie, he deserved better :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Maybe they should, but until then: Tim Miller is now attached to produce a Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think the best way to describe Doctor Strange is if you put out Guardians of the Galaxy but made it 30% safer. There's some good stuff here and there but there's also just thick chunks that feel like "okay, stay with us here, there's white people on screen acting the way you know it and doing every day stuff plus reacting funnily to our Marvel Movies shenanigans" and there's a character made for children the cape is so gonna get its own toyline but, welp, I guess that worked because those bits got the biggest reaction from the crowd.

Saw it dubbed so I couldn't hear Benedict's slippery accent. I'd still say it's solid, the last twenty minutes in particular are amazing. Whenever it gets, well, Strange the movie becomes very enjoyable, but it can get super tiring whenever it starts leaning on Iron Man's script.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

My friends and i had that trail of thought as we walked by posters of Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Nooooope. Comic sales tend to almost never increase because of a film release. Sure, retailers take advantage of additional discounts and order more but you rarely see Batman increase in sales because a film is out.

I think they meant specifically if the "prelude" comics that come out before a movie sell, like "Doctor Strange Prelude" from a few months back. I'm curious about those as well.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rhyno posted:

We're lucky if we sell two copies of them. They are usually ordered low and available on clearance sales for thirty cents a few months later.

That's what I figured. Wonder why they keep being made.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

She probably is the ultimate lifeform, after all.

Trailer looks pretty nice, some iffy bits (that bullet shot as she slowly power-point-slides towards it was painful) but all in all nice and the color palette is gorgeous.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Hong Kong battle and the final confrontation elevate the movie for me. They're just incredible.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

also possibly my favorite villain defeat in the MCU?

By a mile, yeah

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I dunno, I really thought some of the cloak stuff was ridiculous and unnecessary.

I thought the same thing just as the audience cheered and laughed the loudest they ever had.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

"Diversity is a focus going forward. All the new characters and love interests in the next two years will be non-white or female."

i.e: "All the supporting characters. I hope you're happy with Luke Cage and not expecting any other leads to not be white."

"In the next two years"

Zendaya as MJ, Thor's new romantic interest, they'll chalk up Black Panther as a new character and then there's Captain Marvel, just in time for the two years to run out and more white dudes flood in for Infinity War. Phase 4 introduces Wonder Man.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The odds of Doctor Strange 2 just being Triumph and Torment with Loki instead of Doom are fairly high, right? There aren't that many to pull from and that'd certainly fit with the focus on team-ups going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well otherwise it's clearly a film about how texting and driving is the path to adult Hogwarts.

"This One Weird Trick Is Turning Millenials Into Wizards"

• Locked thread