Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Im guessing that Tony's holographic flashback machine is going to be used to help deprogram Bucky, and that he'll become the or a new Cap at some point.

Maybe they'll even use extremis to give him a normal arm back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

I guess I just didn't realize how much these movies have raised his profile in the minds of the fans.

Chris Evans has that kind of effect over people. :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jim Gordon gonna be jacked in Justice League apparently.
https://twitter.com/itsNeha_/status/740325146666356739
https://twitter.com/CallMeTopes/status/740329752548900864

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Monaghan posted:

Yes because that was the problem with batman v superman. Fans just couldn't handle their superheroes' being "deconstructed" :rolleyes:

Well, I mean she's not wrong. At least regarding how they've handled Superman in the DCEU thus far. As an example, the guys at Red Letter Media have pointed this out several times in the past; they don't like how the MoS and BvS deconstruct the mythos of Superman into something real world and grounded, where every action he does is political and terrifying, with hard consequences, etc. They'd prefer a movie with Superman to be an escapist experience, not an experience that reminds them how lovely real life is. Plenty of people share that same sentiment because lol look at the reviews.

I didn't mind the tone of MoS or BvS, but they were really in the deep end of dark. Looking forward to seeing more levity in Justice League, and everything I've read this morning seems pretty solid on paper.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

According to TVTropes.org:

quote:

"Deconstruction" literally means "to take something apart." When applied to tropes or other aspects of fiction, deconstruction means to take apart a trope so as to better understand its meaning and relevance to us in Real Life. This often means pursuing a trope's inherent contradictions and the difference between how the trope appears in this one work and how it compares to other relevant tropes or ideas both in fiction and Real Life.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MrAristocrates posted:

TVTropes aside that quote kinda reads as "people didn't like this movie because it was too smart for them," which is a terrible attitude to have, especially in regards to a movie as profoundly dumb as BvS.

I agree, but I also don't blame her for being so defensive/passive-aggressive. BvS wasn't the dumpster fire everyone has made it out to be. It wasn't a good movie for sure, but it wasn't complete trash either imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 21, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Travis343 posted:

I think in order for a directors cut of BvS to magically become a good movie they'd have to do cut it down and not just add stuff. The movie was already too long, just like Man of Steel was, and now it's three hours. Most of the stuff they're adding should have been in the movie to begin with but there was at least half an hour of stuff that didn't need to be there already.

The three hour Ultimate Cut actually felt shorter than the theatrical cut to me because with all the added exposition/dialogue/establishing shots, the film plays out a gently caress ton smoother.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MrAristocrates posted:

That sounds a lot better, but unless that cut magically gives Superman something resembling a character and somehow makes the tone of the thing not completely offputting I can't imagine enjoying it.

It would also have to completely excise Luthor, which is almost certainly asking too much.

You'd probably really like the Ultimate Cut, those two issues are completely patched up. Lex's plan in the film is largely meticulous, and is explained a whole lot better. And a huge chunk of Cavill's performance as Clark Kent didn't make it into the theatrical cut for some reason. All of his scenes added back in were really great, especially one sequence when he has a conversation with a woman outside of Gotham PD about the death of her boyfriend in jail because he was branded by Batman. I found it to be a really effective scene that lead up to the first confrontation between Superman and Batman in the film.

X-O posted:

The other stuff not so much.

The Lex stuff turned about to be really great I thought, once it made a whole lot more sense. Him puppeteering the whole conflict between Superman and Batman was way, way better presented in the Ultimate Cut.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 28, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

Lex's plan itself is laid out better in this cut. Lex is still terrible though.

Yeah, I mean if you didn't like the Lex character or Eisenberg in the theatrical cut, you likely still won't enjoy his performance in the Ultimate Cut. But at least you get a better sense of his motivation and how he was maniacally pulling strings and manipulating everyone.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

The funeral stuff at the end also benefited well from the small character moment additions, the problem is that the third act of the film is still a goddamn mess and none of that stuff actually feels earned in the storytelling. Everything before the actual Batman v Superman works a lot better now. Everything from there on is still a mess.

I agree. I shared pretty much the same sentiment in the Batman v Superman CineD thread. The build-up in the film is super solid in the Ultimate Edition, and sets the stage for the Batman/Superman fight really well. But yeah, the resulting payoff in the third act is still delivered in whoopee cushion fashion since it remained largely the same. Everything involving Wonder Woman is still awesome though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/753809579813670913
:allears:

Gal looks amazing. Really hope the WW trailer drops at Comic-Con and they release it online.

[edit] High-res versions

[edit] hi-res versions

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 15, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:stare: :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nah, it's pretty dope imo. Even more so when you realize that's probably mustard gas behind her.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is that JL trailer supposed to get people excited?

It got me excited. Also why isn't the Wonder Woman trailer embedded. I got it below. My expectations are in outer space. And yooo, when her theme hits at the end though. Goddamn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGoQhFb4NM&hd=1

[edit] Perfect way to start this page :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Super high-res shot of the Justice League :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I think the Justice League script is all Chris Terrio this time around, instead of having any Goyer in its DNA like BvS did.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

Wonder Woman looks pretty good. I liked the Justice League trailer but yeah, those costumes are godawful for Flash and especially Cyborg.

I'll agree with Cyborg, since its not like the source material was a good foundation to work with anyways (hopefully his character makes up for his appearance in the film), but what don't you like about the Flash's costume? I think it looks really good. I love how vibrant and saturated the red is.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brie Larson as Captain Marvel has instantly made me want to seek out Captain Marvel comics. Where should I start?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

So many Captain Marvel recommendations! Is there a definitive run for the character since there seem to be a few conflicting opinions giving me indecision, lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Again, I would say your best bet would be to read her post-SW solo run (I find it fine but nothing special that vastly improves in quality after its first, really inconsistent, arc). Then I'd read both her current teamups, Ultimates and A-Force.

I will go this route. Thank ya much!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

If that's the temporary piecemeal homemade suit then it's fine. But I don't think it is because it doesn't look homemade at all. It's just too busy and armor like. It should be sleek and simple for Flash.

From a couple pages back, but just came across this on my twitter feed.
https://twitter.com/KryptoLeith/status/756964713729327105

I mean, Barry is smart and fast, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think he could have gotten the resources to create a suit like that. Let's assume that his upgraded suit is more streamlined so that everyone is happy :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Oh I forgot to mention you should read the current run of Spider-Woman, both because it's a fantastic comic and also because she's Carol Danvers' best friend and they're constantly hanging out as a result.

Will add it to my list, thanks :)

twistedmentat posted:

There is no way this won't be part of the Captain Marvel movie.

Maybe Mary Elizabeth Winsted could play Jess? Though I still feel Alison Brie would be fantastic casting.

Would be pretty cool to reunite Romona Flowers with Envy Adams and Lucas Lee in the MCU.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Apparently Ezra Miller makes a cameo in Suicide Squad too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Race Realists posted:

LITMUS TEST!!!

Can you make it past 5 seconds of this Suicide Squad review video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBDPgE29bmU

Nope.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I wonder what the DCCU is gonna look like after all this.

Wonder Woman and Justice League are already in the pipe, full steam ahead. Suicide Squad flopping won't change a thing imo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RevKrule posted:

How Marvel makes their movies can't be that big of a secret can it? It can't be that hard when they make it seem so easy can it?

I personally find both DC films and Marvel films equally enjoyable. I forgot where I read it, but someone made a food analogy of how DC films are trying to get Michelin stars and failing while Marvel are content just being Chili's. I thought that was a pretty good way of looking at things.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

At least DC Rebirth is being really well received, right? :ohdear:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Also, holy poo poo:

drat, as an actor, I wonder how you would feel if you read something like that about your performance. I mean I laughed, but poo poo I feel kinda bad too. Haha.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

Now the critic reviews really didn't bother me, but this does. Weren't the DC films supposedly supposed to be the ones that were director driven with the studio just letting them do their thing with no interference? Hiring an outside company to re-edit the film doesn't really fit that mold.

After I read that article this morning, it left a really bad taste in my mouth on what's happening with the DC properties in film. Odds are Wonder Woman and Justice League are going to fall victim to the same treatment I think, and that bums me out. I really want to be proven wrong though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wonder Woman is really the only comic book character I actually care about, so yeah, my hopes are still high from all the footage that's been released (especially from the trailer), but still, that Hollywood Reporter article still kind of has me worried that somehow, someway, WB could gently caress it up. The potential is there.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

They honestly should have just made a live-action version of Assault on Arkham.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wonder Woman is the only comic book character I care about, so if her first big budget film isn't good I'ma be bummed out. Thankfully the SDCC trailer made my hype levels go nuclear and everything seems really good so far.

Also, from Jason Momoa's instagram:

:allears: Gal Gadot is/was a great choice to bring WW to life on film.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Suicide Squad was ehh, but yeah, it didn't help that a majority of the film's score was made up of recognizable music; that's really what I disliked the most because of that tonal disconnect and blatant studio meddling. After the bar scene, the licensed music inserts were way less obnoxious which, unsurprisingly, made the movie better for me. I think what I hated the most was the use of Eminem's "Without Me" because of how loving on the nose the lyrics were with the scene it soundtracked. It was also part of a literal one two punch of mainstream music because maybe a minute or two before that song dropped, Seven Nation Army played right before it during another scene. Holy poo poo, who let that happen...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

I know, and it's adorable.

I honestly believe if WB execs didn't gently caress around and hire a movie trailer studio to make a Bohemian Rhapsody/Ballroom Blitz infused cut of the film, Ayer's vision and final cut of Suicide Squad would have contained maybe 1 or 2 popular music tracks at most. Maybe even zero. I'm an ardent proponent of the DCEU films and am a bigger fan of DC in general, but even I can see it's wholly obvious that the inclusion of tracks from the Rolling Stones, White Stripes, etc. was an attempt to mimic the quirky music success of other anti-hero films (Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy) as a reaction to how poorly BvS was received. The Hollywood Reporter article about the hidden drama behind Suicide Squad's production backs that up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm all for Zendaya being Mary Jane. The people upset over this are probably the same kind of people who were upset that Gal Gadot was too skinny and doesn't have blue eyes or a bigger bust. Did the same people get all weirded out when Will Smith was cast as Deadshot? Or when it was officially announced that Kiersey Clemons is going to be Iris West?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

Jesus christ dude let it go

Did you think I was singling you out or something? I was just making a general comparison that had a lot of fanfare. :confused:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dario the Wop posted:

So, Henry Cavill's been photographed filming Justice League in the traditional blue Superman costume, with a spit-curl.

And Cyborg is gonna show up in The Flash film.

Let's talk about that instead. :)

This was confirmed to be taken on the set of BvS, not Justice League.http://geektyrant.com/news/superman-dons-the-classic-look-in-picture-from-justice-league-set

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

No, you're just doing that thing again where everything is about wonder woman

Well, I am a WW fan :haw: But why is that a problem? It's not like what I mentioned wasn't a topical/relative issue similar to Zendaya potentially being cast as Mary Jane. Sorry for triggering you by bringing up the controversy surrounding Gal's casting into comparison here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

Okay since there isn't a ton of comic movie news and we need SOMETHING to get us out of the last two or three pages of bad faith pointless arguing Purge night posting: Overwatch

I have no doubt in my mind that we'll see Blizzard develop this property into something more than an arena shooter timesink. I don't know if they're itching to do another movie after how badly World of Warcraft farted, but who knows. I could easily see them going for an animated series.

I'm a big Overwatch nerd, and love everything about the game and the lore. Relevant to this thread's interests, there's a series of OW comic shorts that are pretty great: http://comic.playoverwatch.com/en-us/ana-old-soldiers and they're even better in motion comic form: http://madefirestudios.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=%2F&q=overwatch

There's also an OW graphic novel coming out (digitally) this upcoming November. As for an OW movie? Maybe. I'd prefer them to make a deal with Netflix or something and put together an animated miniseries instead.

• Locked thread