Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Heathen posted:

I didn't care for X-Men Apocalypse. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great just completely forgetable. Once again, the highlight was Quicksilver and, once again, entirely too much time was spent on Mystique / Xavier / Magneto.

I look forward to a New Mutants movie with a brand new cast that somehow still revolves around Xavier and Wolverine followed by an X-Force movie headlined by Mystique and Deadpool.

I really loving hope not. Actually, I want them to do New Mutants with Magneto as headmaster, with McKellan as Magneto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Whizbang posted:

It's not comics accurate at all, they didn't wire his dick directly into his eye.

At as I said, it looks like someone actually looked in a comic and said "lets put that on screen". It's not 1:1 but its close enough.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
In vol 2 of the KSD run she had more longish hair, but the iconic is most certainly her current one. I could see them doing some joke about how she keeps changing her hair, only to have her current haircut at the end of the film.

But yea, Carol always has read to me as someone in her early 30s. Though making her younger isn't too much of a problem because they can just ignore her journalism and spy careers and make her just a pilot. Though those added more to her character than just flying.

I'm sure nerds who can only cast from genre shows they love are upset at this rumor, but everyone else is pretty happy. Carol will probably show up in the first renamed Infinity War movie, because she's not going to be in Dr Strange, Guardians 2 or Black Panther. I guess she could show up in Spider-Man, but I doubt it, an Avengers proper film would be the most logical place for her.

Has the Power Gem shown up? I can never keep which is which, other than Vision has the Mind Gem, the Tesseract is the Space Gem and The Aether is the Reality Gem?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Other than some people yelling, not much new stuff shown.

Looking it up, the infinity Gems are

I was just thinking movie wise they could have Carol come in contact with the power gem in some way and gain her powers that way, rather than needing to create an entire story about Kree infiltrators and Yon-Rogg and the psychomagnetron and all that stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh yea, while Carol reads are being a big dork a lot of the time (she better have Chewie and wear a lot of Star Wars t-shirts, especially now) she has never, ever read as someone young, early to mid 30s seems about right. But then I have read Cyclops as being 39 since Morrison's run. Though ages aren't really a thing in the MCU movies, Wanda is constantly called a kid but Elizabeth Olsen is 27, but the character is clearly written to be much younger.

Thing is a central part of her character is her friendships. She has been written like Cap, being someone people trust easily and trust to get them through the impossible times. She needs to have a good supporting cast, and with Spider-Man being in the MCU, having Jessica Drew won't confuse people quite as much, because we have a Spider-Man, why not a Spider-Woman?

Now if they cast Alison Brie and her, then people can get confused.

Heathen posted:

I was kinda hoping the Eye of Agamotto would be one.

They can keep the Ms. Marvel origin without getting too comic book-y with it. Changing poo poo wholesale doesn't mean it'll be better. See: all three Fantastic Flop movies.

Crazy thing from space vs crazy thing from space, it's not that big of a change.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The super serious version of my fan script for the Captain Marvel movie has her becoming an alcoholic because of her powers, and being sent to Karla Soften for psychiatric help. Though the idea of Sharon Stone as Moonstone would seem odd with Brie Larsen as Cap M.

It is possible that she was involved with some kind of heroics in Iraq/Afghanistan and was promoted for that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

redbackground posted:

The most Geoff Johnsian movie that ever could exist.

I'd think that would be an Aquaman/Hal Jordan movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chaos Hippy posted:

Or an Aquaman/Flash movie, which I could totally get into if they went with a fun version of Aquaman instead of Khal Drogo, King of the Sea.

I wonder if he'll ever be referred to as Arthur Curry, because when I hear that name, I do not imagine Conan. I feel like they're over compensating with Aquaman in the DCCU, making him really bad rear end and tough by Momoa's casting. It feels like they wanted to head off "Aquaman is dumb, he swims and talks to fish" comments by going "yea, he looks dumb, dumb like your rear end he just kicked!". While the opposite is true with the Flash, I cannot see this version from Ezra Miller being the heart and moral compass of the JL, or even the jokey one, he looks more like he'd go to Batman 'eh, whatever' when told to run fast and get the Motherbox. Yes i'm basing this on literally 5 seconds of the movie, but that's the point of that, to give us your first glimpse of these characters and what to expect.

Weren't most of Pearlmutter's ideas less about making the movies, good, but making them more suitable for selling action figures? Wasn't he behind the whole "no girl toys" thing?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

greatn posted:

Well they believe that toys of girls will sell less and make less money, because they still base their decisions on very old market research and anecdotal evidence.

Reminds me of when in 30 Rock, Jack Donaghy is walking down the hall with Liz Lemon and saying "It tests well with the key demos; fairies, dykes, commies...we need to get some updated forums"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What if there is a loophole in Odin's rule for Mjolnir? Since it says a "Man" has to be worthy in order to wield it. Technically Groot and Rocket aren't men.

or Frog-Thor.

Or a recast Jane Foster.

And yea, my ideal x-men movie would be school focused and just have the kids as the primary characters. Chuck can be there, but no need for Magneto or Mystique to show up. Or if its a space adventure with the Starjammers and Space Bird Jerks, then we can have him run off with Lilandra and not be seen until the end of the movie. Speaking of that, and this is in no way a spoiler, people have been complaining that if we saw Scott and Alex's parents, then we can't possibly have Corsair in a future film, but who's to say that they're their birth parents? Could easily be adoptive parents.

Timeless Appeal posted:

So... Gunn is teasing having Mjioner in his movie... but is also saying there are no Avengers in his moive.

So, I'm not going to be really bummed if Beta Ray Bill doesn't show up in this loving thing.

I doubt we'll see him in Guardians 2, but 3, hell ya. Though the thing i"m most excited about is the idea of the Guardians meeting the Avengers, just the reaction between everyone would be hilarious. Though I think Vision and Groot would hit it off the best.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zachack posted:

Thor throws his hammer into space during Ragnarok for some reason, maybe he's fighting Ego. GOTG crew is flying by at the time, gets clipped by the hammer. Or it gets stuck in something, GOTG crew touches it, it gets unstuck flies back to Thor where in the Thor movie there's no break in continuity, or maybe Thor expects it a bit sooner but it shows up at the last minute, whatever.

Why does it smell of raccoon?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, but it wasn't a cosmic being in the movies, just Jeans dark side. Proper Phoenix is Shi'ar and all that jazz would be a completely different movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking how the stakes in Civil War, they're pretty personal and low. Like Zemo just wants to destroy the Avengers for revenge for his family, he doesn't want to take over the world, destroy NYC, steal a billion dollars, or anything. He wants to drive a wedge between Cap and Tony so the team would not function anymore. Yes the Accords will effect all powered beings on earth, but there is no massive sea change in how societies function brought about by it.

It's very interesting to see a big super hero movie with its big important thing being so small. I guess Batman v Superman the stakes are purely who lives or dies Batman or Superman, but then Lex clearly has plans beyond that by introducing Doomsday into the mix, and then his declaration of "He (Darkseid) is coming".

BTW, I was thinking about how disappointed I am that Syder Superman doesn't have a fortress of solitude, somewhere he can just be Superman, and have access to the sum total of Kryptonian knowlage. It's like Bruce not having a Bat-Cave.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

theflyingorc posted:

your definition of low stakes is...interesting

In comparison to End of World, millions killed and ascention of Hydra as the ruling body of the world and the other stakes, it is. The effects of the movie are focused on the people involved.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And Nibbler was Fred on Scooby Doo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
DC is really, really pushing Killing Joke it seems. It's a classic, but I feel like people love it because it's all dark and violent and the Joker totally rapes Babs! Because all anyone wants to see is the Joker being loving Freddy Kruger these days.

Now i'll tell you how I really feel.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jamesman posted:

Rape is never funny, unless you're being raped by a clown.

Rape is awesome if the Joker is doing it!

As I mentioned, people who like Joker seem to want him to be less Clown Prince of Crime, and more like a horror movie villain. They want him to appear suddenly, do something horrible, something terrible, and then vanish scott free while Batman gnashes his teeth and says he can't do anything because he and the joker are two sides of the same coin. There are also the people who say Batman can beat anyone (except the Joker).

They also got SUPER pissed off that this cover was recalled

Honestly, it was these fans that drove me away from reading Batman more than the stories, though they were getting weaker as the New 52 went on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

I think you're conflating different groups of awful people, for what it's worth.

They all seem to hang out in the same places though. When I actively participated on DC discussion online, I'd encounter all these people all the same time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Think a bit harder about what happens in the first volume

You mean the second volume, but then that's more about authority figures abusing their power and what they're doing is shown to be super, mega, ultra wrong to the point where they manipulate their leader into killing himself because they know he'll never be able to get a proper trial due to this money and influence

Or are you talking about the Goose?

But yea, when you have a character so popular as the Joker, you need to set limits on how terrible he can be. You cannot have someone you sell tshirts of being a rapist or a racist. Having him kill people is perfectly fine because we as a society have said that violence in fiction is acceptable for characters we like. It's like when the reboot of Nightmare on Elm Street had Freddy be a child killer and rapist, rather than just a killer like in the originals, because Freddy is a massively popular pop icon, but as soon as you make someone a rapist, people go "nope!". I remember people in the horror community being very upset at this because they have Freddy tattoos and shirt and don't want to be walking around with rapist on their arm.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yeah, should've said series.

I try to ignore the second series. There was just the first and the 49rs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This association of Killing Joke with Slasher Joker is weird, because the comic is explicitly about how Joker is a sad, pathetic man desperately trying to prove that there's some meaning to his suffering.

It's the most sympathetic he'll ever be except for that one scene from Grant Morrison's Justice League where he briefly turns sane (I think it even made a visual reference to KJ).

As was said, people ignore this part and just focus on how awesome the Joker is and how you can't stop him becuase he's just too random and chaotic to control!

And yes it's much more DC editorials fault that Moore or other writers trying to appeal to that really low fanbase that just want Slasher Joker. Which is why i'm only really worried about Leto's Joker in Suicide Squad, because DC seems to think stabby stabb Joker is the one people want.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The best Batman story is Long Halloween. I'll also accept Hush, Knightfall and No Mans Land.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hush is real bad tho

The first 2/3 are really good when you think Hush is actually Jason Todd.

You know, its odd that its been how long and how the only Superman villains we've gotten are Lex and Zod? Why are they afraid to do Braniac? He only seems to show up in aborted Superman movies.

Lex and the Joker should be shot into space on an arc that will bring them back to earth in 5-10 years, forcing DC to use other villains.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SonicRulez posted:

I like Hush more than most, but its placement on this list is crazy. Year One should be there.

Hush was only there because last time I made a list of Best Batman stories, it got dogpiled for not including Hush on it. I will reiterate that the first 2/3 works really well when the red herring of it being Jason Todd was in effect, but the end just tears everything down. But yea, Year One is consistently good.

Though glad no ones saying "but where's Dark Knight Returns???"" gently caress you, that story has been surpassed, and if you say "its the greatest Batman story ever told" its not because it is, but because you read an article from 20 years ago saying it was.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
See that's why I like Long Halloween, it's a case that even Batman can't solve, showing he is fallible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Death of the Family is what got me to drop New 52 Batman. Did not like it at all. Death IN the Family I'd rate higher if the ending was an actual editorial decision rather than the result of polling.

My preferred Batman stories tend to be ones where he can't just punch his way out of the situation. I'd rate TDKR in the bottom half of the

People talk endlessly of Bucky being Cap at some point, but I've never seen anyone suggest that maybe do a Dick Greyson Batman movie. I loved that run of Batman, because while Dick is physically capable, he wasn't nearly as smart and observant as Bruce, which lead to some interesting stories.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Killing the Joker is Magog's role.

Actually, a Kingdom Come themed film would be pretty good, though the whole aspect of it being the optimism of the Golden/Silver Age eras vs the grimdark violent and edgy 90s would be lost.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can totally forgive Wonder Woman killing people because she's from a culture of warriors were death is just a part of life. Well, death of their enemies. Aquaman also falls under this. I can also pass Green Lanterns because he's space cop and sometimes you have to take a life.

Retro Futurist posted:

Given the current state of DC a kingdom come movie would have Magog desperately trying to save a villain from the Trinity, and a bunch of hopeful, optimistic new heroes changing public opinion

Yea, Magog and the rest of the new heroes in Kingdom Come would fit in perfectly in the grimdark DCCU.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sinister would be a better villain for Deadpool 2 though.

Oh and I only just realized the thread title was a reference to The Room.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The changes to the Bomb Plot make it sound a lot more logical. There's a reason Clark can't see the bomb. Though Not naming Jenna Malone's character is just silly, just fueling speculation and makes me think they didn't want to confirm Babs at this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

God Bless Eliott Kalan for that. He's going to be the new head writer for MST3K as well.

But wasn't there a story where Doc Ock was doing science and Spider-man busts in and destroys it and Doc is all "but I was trying to cure aids!!"?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have high hopes for the telltale Batman game, though it will probably be more investigation than punching.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I assume Dean Pelton runs MIT the same way he runs Greendale.

He originally was dressed as Black Widow. Still holding out hope for Allison Brie as Spider-Woman, which would work with a Brie Larsen Carol Danvers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BiggerBoat posted:

What's Suicide Squad's timeline in relation to MoS and BvS? I brought it up in the BvS thread but what are the chances we get a Lex cameo in SS that shows him in Arkham?

Speaking of Superman, I'm probably late to the party on this, but I'm watching The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened? and it's quite good. Equal parts absurd, funny and fascinating. The thing that surprised me about it were how many decent ideas there actually were (I like the take on Braniac particularly) combined with all the "WTF" lunacy. Watching it, I can almost see Cage and Burton somehow pulling it off if they'd kept going and trimmed all the stupid out of it; or even just letting them run wild with it, polar bears and all.

Anyone else watched this? It's on YouTube.

I'd like to see Braniac in a Superman movie (anyone but Lex or Zod again) and I like this approach of a half organic, half robotic, sentinent, artificial intelligence that can interface with any technology, take on several forms and even create life that's constantly learning and evolving.

Then again, that sounds too much like what we got with Ultron so maybe not.

Yea, its a great doc, it's not quiet Jodowosky's Dune, but still worth watching if you like comic books or failed movie projects. I like how everyone he interviewed was really enthuised with what they were working on, and even when you saw what they were actually going to do with the giant spider/Thanagarian Snare Beast would have been pretty cool. Though doesn't Superman have robots at the Fortress of Solitude, or is that a fairly recent invention.

But yea, the whole Braniac concept was very cool, especially the idea for the ship, being this early homonid skull design.

Even seeing the stuff with Cage in the suit didn't look terrible, certainly no worse than any other film of the time. And then the more goofy ideas like the LED metal S suit was going to be for like a single scene of the film.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The best comment I saw about homecoming is "it's like they're casting it like they're actually in New York".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is anyone else kind of skeeved out by how much the promotion for Suicide Squad focuses on Leto's Joker considering how every story that makes him seem like a huge creepy fucktard rear end in a top hat? Even the ones WB is releasing in an attempt to make his joker look super cool and menacing.

I've said it a million times before, gently caress the Joker and gently caress the people who this is trying to appeal to.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's less the look of the joker and more the stories of him sending dead animals and used condoms and other stuff that in any other workplace would get you a stern talking to from the HR lady that is straight up harassment of coworkers. The fact he only did it to the less famous members of the cast shows that he's just doing it because he knows he has the power over that portion of the cast, it's just really disgusting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Harle is extremely popular among young women. I've heard many reasons for this; she's cute and sexy but also tough, she is independent and does her own thing ( guessed they missed her being Joker's abused girlfriend for years?), she is the only women who caught the eye of someone like the joker and others.

There's a reason that Harle has been unhitched from the Joker lately, because the character herself is popular enough without her being tied to the Joker, and you can sell tights with the harle diamonds on them, hats that combine Batman and the diamonds that can be paired with their tattoos. One friend said that its the combination of hot and tough that makes young women idolize her.

I guess there's a demand by young women for characters like that?

I'd say that ASM2 is pretty decent when its not trying to set up future movies. There's probably something about a character like Silver Sable that Sony sees that they can do a more generic action movie with, rather than doing a film about a powered person or one with a complex relationship with Spider-Man. Though I didn't think Spider-Woman, Drew or Carpenter had anything really to do with Spider-Man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Recently I learned that pearl necklaces, at least good ones, have knots between each pearl, so if it does break, then you only loose like one. So either Thomas Wayne was super cheap, or not a single person who's drawn or filmed a Batman's Parents Dying scene (which is a lot) has any idea how things actually work.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Travis343 posted:

They are literally all copying Frank Miller. Nobody is doing a pearl necklace scene on their own after 1986.

This is true. That's another thing that needs to retired from Batman films, anything done by Frank Miller. It can join the Joker and Waynes being murdered on the heap. You know I was watching Batman 89 not to long ago, and while the Joker's origin is movie specific, his behavior actually feels more like a classic Joker than any others. He's nuts, but not a slasher villain. There is this childish aspect to his menace. This is a Joker I could imagine stealing Christmas then trying to poison the whole city. Plus I never notice that his gang has Neil Adam's Joker faces on their jackets.

I actually think Doomsday should have been Amazo. You get your big monster fight, its a known character, but you literally anything saying "oh yea, Superman is totally going to die here".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Anna Kendrick saw a Squirrel Girl comic and thought "hey I can play her!"

Are nerd news outlets so thirsty they'll post anything? We need some Infinity War casting news or something.

• Locked thread