Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Obviously the renamed movies will be Avengers: Reconstruction and then maybe Avengers: The Great Depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

I'm still not sure why Iron Man and Cap fought in Ultron besides "this is what you'll be seeing more of in Civil War"
They fight in Ultron because Tony accidentally created a murderous robot by messing around with technology which he didn't understand, and then tries to do it again.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I completely didn't recognise her and couldn't believe it when I saw mention later on of it having been Marisa Tomei.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If they were her kids or grandkids then she wouldn't be Aunt Peggy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but one of X-Men: Apocalypse's producers has said that the next X movie after this one still won't be in the present day but instead be set in the 90s.
Finally, the Cable movie I've been dreaming about.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

I really do wonder how they're going to adopt the fact that Old Man Logan utilizes the whole extended Marvel Universe so extensively (since, you know, Logan killed all of the other mutants in the world) into a movie where they don't have the license for any of it.
They, uh, don't have to? It's an adaptation, not "page directly on the screen".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Well, to be fair, the mutants were like "See how you like it now, assholes."

I think Civil War as a concept is something which could work fine as a standalone film or story, but the previous films help give certain plot beats their impact. Like, you could set up Steve and Tony as friends in the beginning, but the audience is sort of taking that at face value, whereas with having seen Avengers and Age of Ultron, the whole "Tony, he's my friend"/"So was I" moment has a much bigger impact.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The 90s X-Men animated series is better than all 5 X-Men films put together.

I'll probably see Apocalypse this week or next week and will confirm if adding that to the pile manages to make it better than the animated series.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The worst thing about Rogue in the X-Men films is that she willingly takes the cure at the end of X3.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The 90s cartoon gave her the Ms. Marvel powerset because that's what she had in the comics. They even explained it in one episode with flashbacks to the incident like in Avengers Annual 10.

Also her arc in X-Men 1 and 2 was really good and one of the best things about those films. Who gives a poo poo if she's useful in a fight?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I don't know what her arc was in X2 because it's apparently so irrelevant it's not actually in the Wikipedia summary of the movie.
I, too, read Wikipedia summaries to learn about character arcs in films.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Wikipedia is probably the worst place to go to get plot beats from a film.

And just because it's one of the best things from the first two films for me, does not in any way imply that it's some sort of major happening.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

She was put in the first movie for the Magneto power stealing plot and then they had no loving idea what to do with her in X2. It's time for the 3rd act where everything happens. Rogue, stay in the plane. By making the 3rd about a cure they at least found something for her to do again.
In the first film, she's kind of mopey about her powers etc, she is the stand-in "can't accept her sexuality" in the metaphor

In the 2nd film, you see her learning to control her powers, including a moment where she kisses Bobby and exhales ice breath

3rd film completely throws all that out the window and she takes the gay cure

Continue being a gigantic moron though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

X-O posted:

He's not talking about the good Young Avengers, he's talking about the Gillen one which wasn't very good.
Congrats on holding a minority opinion.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Chill Penguin posted:

That book was super boring and McKelvie needs to stick to character design and cover art, his sequential art is way too static for superhero comics.
It was well written and well drawn and very enjoyable.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That specific audience is "anyone who has been a teenager, ever" though.

I presume you're referrijg to all the Tumblr stuff, that stuff is there and I largely ignored it because I couldn't give a a poo poo. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the actual story, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Well they have the Nova Corps established now so they can do a solo film with him if they want. Although at this stage it might be a bit too similar to Green Lantern.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

MrAristocrates posted:

They'll never do it just out of spite.
At this point they're cutting off their nose to spite their face

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Now I'm wishing that Tim Gunn was involved with GOTG somehow.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

For the lack of the Joker in the movie, Jared Leto is saying that quite a few of his scenes ended up being cut.
It's a real shame they all weren't cut

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Kat Dennings and Skarsgard are also out of Thor 3.
This is the worst news.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I liked Skarsgard, but I am surprised to see people mourning Kat Dennings. I like her as a person, but her character in Thor had a couple of good lines but was mostly either inconsequential to the story or annoying.
I mostly just like her character for her attempts at saying "Mjolnir". She was pretty decent comic relief though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Multiple Spider-Man actors wouldn't be so bad if they didn't keep doing the origin and Goblins. James Bond has had multiple actors and people don't get confused.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Also, the main villain seems to the Vulture instead of the Goblin.

I am also sick to death of the Goblin, but who knows how the Vulture will work out? He's not inherently amazing, but he's a total blank slate that they can change around without too many fans crying.

It would be pretty funny if they went with the original "youth stealing powers" version.
He didn't originally have youth stealing powers, that was something they did later.

Vulture's not too exciting but he is a classic villain at least. As long as Homecoming isn't a mess like ASM2 was, I'm down.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Guy: I'm going to count visible deaths in movies.

Goons: You forgot all these not visible ones!
Or "That's a very arbitrary definition of 'visible deaths'".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I reckon GOTG had the most dancing trees on screen in any movie ever.

brb going to watch 600 movies to confirm

note: the LOTR films had trees who may possibly have danced but they did not dance on screen

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not saying anything actually happened but there was a very creepy angle to that relationship. (because of the age difference and Ororo being sort of a mentor, I mean) Standard Claremont I guess.
Please stop reading your own fetishes into comic books.

Storm/Kitty was absolutely always portrayed as a mother/daughter relationship.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yes I'm aware "lol Claremont" but if you're reading anything into the friendship between Storm and Kitty then that's entirely on you.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Is that an acid-induced fever dream an anime fan has of the first duel Callisto and Storm had? Because what the hell.
Sadly not, it was from an arc in X-treme X-Men where Masque gave Callisto tentacles because *reasons*

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm going to see Doctor Strange next week and I'm v. excited.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If I'm going to the cinema I usually go to the IMAX anyway, but the trippy-looking trailers for Doctor Strange made that a definite.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Just back from Doctor Strange.

It is really good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Well sometimes people want to be surprised about whether a film is good or not.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh and also about the post credits (no details in spoilers but just in case)

weirdly the bit at the very end of the credits is way more plot relevant than the mid-credits scene... I think I know why they did it that way, maybe to give the "doctor strange will return" text more punch. Still seemed a little unusual.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

JT Smiley posted:

I think the entire storyline that led to that moment was my jump the shark moment. I tried to do a series re-watch recently and just jumped off partway through season four and just stuck to watching Angel.
The end of Season 4 is great. I think it's overall one of my favourite seasons, even though it has a real stinker in there. 5 has a great arc and finale, but some below-par episodes in there (although it also has The Body so...)

I hated 6 first time through, but on rewatching it afterwards I think I "got" the arc a lot better (after doing some of my own growing up). There are still some really bad episodes in there, the series suffered a lot when Noxon became showrunner and seemed to have a "Spike must be shirtless in every episode" mandate.

3 is still the best season though, and the Mayor is the best villain.

Hakkesshu posted:

Dr. Strange was very cool and good.

Outside of a few minor references entirely self-contained. A bit goofy and full of exposition, but it didn't crawl up its own rear end too much. They really went all out in terms of crazy visuals and wild powers, there are a lot of very creative scenes in there.

Tilda Swinton owns. Tilda Swintowns.

There was a kind of wuxia quality to it, almost some Stephen Chow in there too. Didn't feel like a superhero movie so much as a supernatural adventure film. Good stuff.
Yeah I thought Swinton was great in it. She plays it like a really cool mix of Morpheus and Galadriel or something. Ejiofor is really good also. I particularly like how Mordo is written, I was completely expecting him to just get tempted by power, or to be jealous of Strange or something, but I'm glad they didn't use either of those tropes. It just feels a bit more of a natural development that he feels betrayed by the Ancient One, and you can empathise with him to a point at least.

Teenage Fansub posted:

And Dormammu looked real, real dumb.
It's pretty accurate to the comics in that way. :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

British and Irish people doing American accents is still way better than the reverse.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I think I forgot to mention here but the Marvel Studios logo change is so bad. They went from something which was visually quite interesting to boring stills from previous films.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That was London, not New York.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The stories are all pretty by the numbers but I like that the films all look and feel quite different.

Probably the one film that bucked the trend was Winter Soldier, really just because you were expecting solely a Winter Soldier adaptation but they grew in some Secret Warriors too. Iron Man 3 also with the Mandarin reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lovechop posted:

who'd be a good casting for Carol? i'm really hyped to see her in the MCU at some point.
Ryan Reynolds

• Locked thread