Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Not really sure what to say after seeing that movie except it was basically everything I hoped a comic book movie could be the first time I saw one. That airport scene . . .

Also I hope Marvel's casting department is really loving well paid. Boseman and Holland were perfect. Black Panther was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

X-O posted:

Controversial opinion alert! I think Zemo is my favorite MCU film villain. The part isn't large, there's not much screen time, and he's very much not the traditional villain. Nor does he have much in common with the comic version, but I loved the way he was used and Daniel Bruhl's performance was excellent.

He had more screen time than I expected given some of the reviews I read. I agree with you for the most part, I thought he was great. He's just a dude and was able to bring down the Avengers, impressive stuff.

Edit: I hope Coogler keeps the same fighting/movement style for BP in his movie. I thought it was unique and worked really well.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 6, 2016

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Another thing that I thought was just fantastic is how every character really felt like they had their moment. The Russos did a good job balancing a large number of characters.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Picklepuss posted:

See, for me a good Spidey wouldn't side with Iron Man. I'll admit though I've only seen three Marvel movies (Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and the first Captain America) so I don't know if Cinematic Iron Man is the same fascist bastard that Comic Book Iron Man is. So I could be totally wrong.

One of the dumbest things I've ever read tbh.

On a separate but related note, Holland's face when he sees Tony hitting on Aunt May is priceless.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Picklepuss posted:

Also is there any reason for people to be so rude about this? I've not attacked anyone, I've not said anything nasty or hateful, and we're only talking about a movie for heaven's sake.

I shouldn't have been rude but your position is patently ridiculous and slightly divorced from reality. The Marvel movies (including Civil War) only loosely follow the comics and Tony Stark has 5 pre-Civil War movies worth of characterization that you haven't seen.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The major problem with Cap is that he doesn't have answers and he admits as much. He just wants to deal with the consequences as they come without acknowledging that the consequences exist. He saves Bucky's life but it comes at the cost of what appears to be a dozen other people's lives. Part of that is the failure of the system but part of it is also his own inability to accept consequences. That is the big reason why the climax happens. Captain America never actually told Tony who killed his parents because the consequences were too hard to deal with so he just let it keep going until it exploded. Tony is acting out of guilt and shame while Cap is ruggedly determined to believe he did the right thing regardless.

Just to be clear, unless I'm misinterpreting something Cap did not know who killed Tony's parents. He merely knew that they were murdered, which Tony did not even know until he saw the video. It was new to Cap as well that it was Bucky.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

I'd love some clarity on this. Our group discussed this last night and none of us remember Cap knowing this previously, but it certainly seemed like he was admitting to knowing it during the film.

He explicitly admits that he knew they were murdered. But he also says, right after Zemo shows the video, that he didn't know it was Bucky until that moment. As to when he learned that they were murdered, I think it was in Winter Soldier but I need to go back and re-watch.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 6, 2016

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I hope that the Black Panther movie is a T'Challa and Bucky buddy-cop movie.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 6, 2016

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

what would happen if vision had hit Falcon? I assume he would have gone down like Rhodes, but would anyone have gone after him? Seems weird to me, like I felt they would have just let him fall and kept tracking the quintet.

If that beam hit Falcon in the body, wouldn't it just kill him? He's not wearing armor like War Machine. I thought that was, in part, what Tony was talking about when he asked Vision what the hell happened there. Vision was distracted by Wanda being hurt and sort of lashed out in response to Rhodes' call for help without thinking. I'd have to re-watch the scene but I specifically recall Vision whipping his head around and just firing the beam almost nonchalantly, with no thought to it. At least that's how I interpreted that scene.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 7, 2016

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Rhodey explicitly says to take out Sam's engines to "turn him into a glider"

Definitely forgot or missed that line, I only generally remembered Rhodes calling for Vision's help. Obviously that changes it, and the "distraction" conversation was just about Vision missing.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

If this was 1996 they would be a RomCom together.

I think I'm getting whooshed here, I can't be sure. They were in a rom com together in 1994, and I'm pretty sure they dated for a bit.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

You're over-vilifying Tony. It feels like we're talking about the comic Civil War. Why would the Sokovia Accords have anything about imprisoning the heroes? Ross answered Cap when he asked about refusing. "You retire." That doesn't mean "You go to jail." Again, it was Cap beating up the German police and protecting a wanted murderer that got his crew tossed in jail. It had literally 0 to do with the Sokovia Accords. That part of the plot is just for the Zemo and Wanda stuff. The big fight was all about Bucky. Two concurrent plotlines basically.

Refusing to sign the Accords and then retiring as a result is different than refusing to sign the Accords and then continuing to act as a vigilante.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The portrayal of Sue Storm as a weirdo with some sort of development disorder that loves patterns was so odd. I don't think I'll ever understand that decision.

rantmo posted:

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Michael B. Jordan has signed on to Black Panther possibly as a villain.

Not ok with this. Michael B. Jordan is too good to be a one-time villain and then done.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Honestly that FF movie was one of the worst movies I've ever seen that was actually attempting to be good. It was offensive it was so bad. Makes BvS look like Citizen Kane.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

If Fox really had the rights to Nova then Marvel wouldn't be able to have a Nova Corps, period

Sort of a ridiculous thing to say when you haven't seen the contract and we have at least one example of a situation where the contract operates in this fashion - Marvel can use Skrulls but they can't use Super Skrull.

Not saying its the other way around, but that's a pretty strong declaration when you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

lomzus posted:

New actors confirmed for Thor Ragnarok.

Cate Blanchett as Hela
Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster
Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie
Karl Urban as Skurge

http://marvel.com/news/movies/26203/marvel_studios_confirms_stellar_new_cast_members_of_the_highly_anticipated_thor_ragnarok#ixzz49DkA8xap

Holy poo poo everything about this is perfect.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Pretty much universally awesome news from Marvel today. Really excited about all that Guardians 2 info, and holy poo poo Dr. Strange looks great.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I like that instead of trying to come up with a counter argument, you instead make fun of me. When you're ready to have a discussion like an adult, we'll talk.

The likelihood that they'll do a film on any of the Captain Marvels is totally up in the air - nobody knows except for the people at Marvel Studios. Carol Danvers has one of the more compelling stories of the group (and brings diversity to the MCU), but that doesn't mean the others are completely out of the picture until said otherwise.

With the ways studios work regarding their franchises its honestly not really that much up in the air. They simply aren't going to have multiple Captain Marvels, its just not something they will do. They've hitched the wagon to Carol Danvers, at the very best you get a throwaway joke or cameo for any of the others.

Edit: Unless you think they haven't chosen who they are doing for the Captain Marvel movie, which it kinda seems like you think that from your posts. But they have, its Carol.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Aren't they trying to make a John Hughes movie? I wouldn't worry too much.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I would very much like to see this film.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

qntm posted:

It went on too long, and it didn't feel as if anybody was actually making any progress towards taking out anybody else. It was just punching and punching until eventually it was time for somebody to win. And Spider-Man didn't quip enough. In fact, I don't think he quipped once in the entire film.

I think you watched your own special version of the movie or something.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They hired the director of John Wick for Deadpool 2.

Edit: Well, a director. David Leitch. John Wick had 2. The other is doing John Wick 2.

This is the best news I've ever heard.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

From what little we can tell, I'm thinking that final shot is of her absorbing the power of the blue finale tower, instead of calling on the power of Zeus or something. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though.

You seem to be reaching pretty hard based on just a flash of a scene in a trailer with no context.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 3, 2016

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I loved the movie. I felt like the moments of levity kept it from being too serious about itself, Tilda was amazing and every action/visual set piece was just pure joy. In particular, as many people have already mentioned, the Hong Kong fight and the final confrontation were truly spectacular. The New York chase was also mind blowing.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Yes.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The next 2 years if you ignore Antman and Wasp I guess.

All new characters

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Dacap posted:

The call about the woman in her 20s with an experimental medical implant to treat schizophrenia who was struck by lighting is interesting. Probably how they're re-doing Capt. Marvel's origin to be less Green Lantern-y

Yeah I'm sure that's probably Capt. Marvel.

I can't tell if you're serious or I'm getting whooshed super hard here.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Lobok posted:

I really don't want her to be schizophrenic in the film. I don't trust a superhero movie to handle most mental illnesses with tact and accuracy but especially not that one.

She won't be. This seems like kind of an absurd discussion.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

This is awful if Derrickson isn't loving around with people. Christ.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Lobok posted:

Black Panther can only disappoint at this point, right...?

Weird mindset to have.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

AFAIK, the plot has not been leaked, but since Peter's dad has been cast, I imagine one of the big plots will be "You're prince of the planet/sector/country so do what your dad tells you and take your rightful place." Kind of how they did in the comics. Of course, daddy is a dick in the comics too, so maybe he's going to be kinda villainous. There's also the whole Ego thing which I cannot wait for. Since Nebula is back it sounds like she's probably going to tie things back into the stones/Thanos. I get the impression she will argue that she wants to stop Thanos, team-up with the guardians, and then betray everyone near the end.

But again, that's all speculation on my end.

Pete's dad is a planet

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I'm pretty sure Debicki is the villain

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

That trailer owns. 2017 is gonna be great.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Jagermonster posted:

The domestic trailer is good. This is better - had the requisite number of BWAAAAAAAAMPs for a big budget action/comic book movie trailer

This trailer is worse. It has too many BWAAAAMPS and missed a couple of the fun highschool beats from the US trailer.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

Do they not mention that the girl is Liz Allan?

That's Laura Harrier. They're talking about Zendaya's character.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The plan was to dump it all in the city sewers, then use the stolen Wayne microwave tech to vaporize it and have everyone go nuts. Am I forgetting something? I haven't seen it in years, tbf.

You're not. They were dumping it in the sewers at the asylum, and then were taking that microwave thing to Wayne tower, which was at the very center of the sewer network and was going to vaporize all the water in the city.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Gavok posted:

This all takes place before the movie, but I'm going to consider it a bit of a big spoiler since we find out hints and pieces of it throughout the film.

At some point, scientists were able to figure out a way to prevent mutant births. With no new mutants being created, the Reavers were put together to wipe out the existing mutants around the world. Presumably, the X-Men were the last line of defense and the final haven for any surviving mutants. A year before the events of the film, Xavier -- who is at least 90 -- went into an epileptic seizure at the mansion. The episode took out everyone in the vicinity mentally, meaning Xavier's old age had all but finished off the mutant genocide. Logan took Xavier and hid him away in Mexico, where he's looked over by Caliban, an albino who wants to redeem himself for aiding the Reavers as a tracker. Xavier suffers dementia and Logan regularly medicates him to keep him from enduring more seizures.

Jesus christ

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

That was a good trailer and they didn't spoil anything. Oh no, Vulture is a bad guy and Spidey will have to rely on his own skills to defeat him! What a twist!

Yeah I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. How are you getting anything about this movie from the trailer other than, at most, the very high-level character arc that Spiderman might go through (i.e., learning to actually be a hero)?

parallelodad posted:

And then it was bad, yes.

Wow look at this hot take.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Holy poo poo Cate Blanchett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

parallelodad posted:

Are bullets the Hulk and Thor's one weakness?

If they are doing the famous comic scene he's not shooting at Hulk/Thor.

• Locked thread