Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
my theory is, if you need to fold your code, then your code is too complex and needs to be split into methods/functions and different files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i never use it, it's annoying

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
yeah it can really screw me up if i fold something by accident

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
op what if I'm folding functions and methods?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fold this thread into an airplane and fly it to the gas chamber

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Symbolic Butt posted:

op what if I'm folding functions and methods?

why should you? are they getting in the way?

e: are you talking about higher-order functions?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i use it because i mostly program microcontrollers and in low-memory situations procedural code is a lot cleaner than factory factory factories.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i use it when moving big blocks of html code around. you might say that my code is complex and im a poo poo lord for using html, and yes youre right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

html isn't code, it's markup

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

html isn't code, it's markup

:goonsay:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

never ever, OP. every single line of code is important. if you don't want to see a line of code, well, that's what the scroll bar is for. i suggest you use it.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

actually, he's right.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

why should you? are they getting in the way?

e: are you talking about higher-order functions?

no, it's just that I like to skim through code reading only the function signatures

kinda like reading a header file :D

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that's what intellisense is for.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
lol if you ever have so much code in one file that you need to fold it

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

no, it's just that I like to skim through code reading only the function signatures

kinda like reading a header file :D

that's what header files are for

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I feel bad for u if ur programming language doesn't have header files

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
since august i've been working on a project that uses javascript, php and mysqli and everything about all three of those things SUCKS rear end. i have an interview setup somewhere else so i can leave lol. ive been here for 6.5 years and used to work on a game that got cancelled after 4 years and everything is going down hill =D

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I use vim, is code folding right for me?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

The Management posted:

i dunno. it's yet another key command you need to learn, so maybe not

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

since august i've been working on a project that uses javascript, php and mysqli and everything about all three of those things SUCKS rear end. i have an interview setup somewhere else so i can leave lol. ive been here for 6.5 years and used to work on a game that got cancelled after 4 years and everything is going down hill =D

LP0 ON FIRE is good now.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

a lot of posters have been making some huge comebacks lately, or maybe it's just that i've softened. i don't know. but i wish you only the best, LP0 ON FIRE.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

GameCube posted:

actually, he's right.

what if u write ur scripts inline

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

GameCube posted:

a lot of posters have been making some huge comebacks lately, or maybe it's just that i've softened. i don't know. but i wish you only the best, LP0 ON FIRE.

thanks man

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I had folding at home installed in 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I fold and unfold my code constantly at work while I"m playing cell phone games, so it looks like I'm busy.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
never

mostly because xcode's support for it is awful so i got out of the habit of using it

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Plorkyeran posted:

never

mostly because xcode's support for it is awful so i got out of the habit of using it

Yeah basically same; I use to fold code then I got better at organizing classes and got use to making most files < 100 lines. Anyways the code needs to be really annoying to look at to get me to fold.

Nude fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 6, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nude posted:

Yeah basically same; I use to fold code then I got better at organizing classes and got use to making most files < 100 lines. Anyways the code needs to be really annoying to look at to get me to fold.

"then I got better at organizing classes and got used to making most files < 100 lines."

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
i use folding all the time op because gently caress splitting all of my lovely html parsing code into separate files, better to keep that garbage contained

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
i just got layed off from my bad programming job where i wasn't doing much programming and i had a new position lined up within 5 minutes of finding out and lol im moving on from ruby on rails to make a deece six figgies writing javascript. development loving owns hahaha

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
what im saying is, it was time to fold

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i fold other peoples code

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I remember in amos is was f9 i think and yeah I used to fold the poo poo out og my basic

The Store
May 2, 2009

my stepdads beer posted:

i fold other peoples code

ihope you get all of the creases out

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I feel bad for u if ur programming language doesn't have header files

you say as if like most header files are written in a sane way

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

The Management posted:

every time i encounter a file where some idiot has added fold markers i waste a minute finding the 'open all' shortcut

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i almost folded some code today whilst studying a new class, but then i used visual studio's dropdown list at the top of the window instead. but if you like to fold, whatever. do what feels right.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

GameCube posted:

i almost folded some code today whilst studying a new class, but then i used visual studio's dropdown list at the top of the window instead. but if you like to fold, whatever. do what feels right.

visual studio code kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
visual studio fold

• Locked thread