Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octave
Jan 9, 2008

Storyvale is a game/experiment thing I made because none of the MMOs out there felt like the old ones, and I wanted the old ones' feel but with some modern things, and it to not be Project Gorgon. Although Project Gorgon is pretty neat too. I just wanted it to feel like a different old-new-MMO.

The game aims for only a few things:
  • Interdependence - Grouping is important, trading too, and favors e.g. teleports, potion crafting.
  • Self-direction - That is, you don't get told where to go next. This could be also talked about as 'exploration' but exploration has kinda been highjacked to mean a lot of things that don't mean self-direction.

Things in Storyvale
  • Grouping and role interdependence - you will have to group to get to the most rewarding places.
  • A flexible role system that allows you the ability to change your playstyle drastically. You can screw up your character but you'll also always have a way to unscrew it.
  • Risk of death with real penalties.
  • Very rare items that significantly change your gameplay. Items that only drop a limited amount of times and never drop again.
  • A dynamic, open world where NPCs of opposing factions will fight and loot eachother.
  • Hand crafted dungeons, areas, NPCs to avoid the saminess of completely procedural worlds.
  • Weather, time of day, and environment that plays a large part in which monsters and plants spawn.
  • A lack of currency but completely open trading.
  • Everything is an item. Pretty much...

Things never in Storyvale
  • Quest Hubs
  • 'Click This Next' tutorials.
  • Wack-a-mole style button mashing. There is no 'rotation.'
  • Auction Houses
  • Dungeon Finders
  • PVP
  • Instancing

Here's the gameplay trailer I just made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdowe51qQFI

So if that all sounds good - or at least some of it - and you don't mind the cutesy-voxels-but-not graphics, why not try it out maybe?

Here's some keys to play right now:
14E62A97301DEBEBAC66C0E3E7F06BE9
E63694CC1FC222A4D54A4615E5DC19BD
6D7E98AF3987F399A4585DB3592203F2
117E599130601973F9EDCAAA25CA075E
E02CBC3D376F61F4A9D9804678831FAC
CE7C39B3CAD944BC21142DA40CDA9BE6
6BC640EA9C9310E11EB849170DCAC852
2F2F0C0F0C5BA0B8ED03FE213293D018
2692EC91902CBCA2224E333761376C77
DACE7FE3242A60A3A350D1BCBBF05BB5

Register at http://storyvale.com/register/

Octave fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The Minecraft/voxel gfx aren't for me but I wish you good luck friend .

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If your game doesn't have enough players to support the gameplay style you are aiming for, what contingency plans do you have? Or will you just shutter it?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Byolante posted:

If your game doesn't have enough players to support the gameplay style you are aiming for, what contingency plans do you have? Or will you just shutter it?

Yeah, this is a question that came to mind for me as well. How many players are you expecting? Can players host servers?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

How did you make it by yourself this seems quite ambitious, generally curious I'm not hating, feel free to drill down into specifics of your implementation.

I'd love if for at least 2 weeks if it had PvP.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 6, 2016

Octave
Jan 9, 2008

Byolante posted:

Hopefully it will as the power curve is a lot more shallow than most games per level. So a level 10 and a level 20 could group and it would still be effective. That should help a lot with this problem.

Other than that, if I truly can't amass more than a couple people online at a time, then yeah it would have kinda failed. Play it and tell your friends so that doesn't happen ;)

Brendan Rodgers posted:

How did you make it by yourself this seems quite ambitious, generally curious I'm not hating, feel free to drill down into specifics of your implementation.

I'd love if for at least 2 weeks if it had PvP.

So technically, I'm running unity on the client and server. The server is headless on linux. It's actually quite performant from my tests. I'm using unet api for networking which isn't so bad when you decide to not use the broken stuff.

That's all for real time stuff.

For login, user management, persistence, zone communication, etc, I'm using python/django with postgres. the server communicates quite a lot with the django web server.

For art, I'm using MagickaVoxel which I find to be the best voxel editor out there, even though I so wish I had the source because it's amazing and could be amazing and one with that.

If you want to know anything more specific, let me know.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If you could build it a bit more like A Tale in the Desert, I might be able to overlook the bad graphics.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
downloading, ill let you all know if its bad

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I rolled a mage and then the game didn't respond to controls then my guy cast like 20 spells in a row at nothing and i couldnt make him stop then it said i was out of reagents but wouldnt tell me what those are or where to get them so i couldnt attack so i quit

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Farg posted:

I rolled a mage and then the game didn't respond to controls then my guy cast like 20 spells in a row at nothing and i couldnt make him stop then it said i was out of reagents but wouldnt tell me what those are or where to get them so i couldnt attack so i quit

sounds like the sort of experience the OP wants you to have tbf. Telling you how to actually power your character would be a click-this-next tutorial and we can't have that.

Octave
Jan 9, 2008

Farg posted:

Sorry about your horrible internet connection dude.

The required reagents are listed on your weapon, but it's true that it should also tell you in the red banner what exactly is missing.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
I tried it, and here are my thoughts: First it looks a lot like Trove. The enemies being skelingtons bees and rabbits is fun, maybe add crabs. I need to be able to invert mouse Y. Out of combat regeneration is much too low, it makes the best playstyle one where you aggro things then lead them into the guards. If you want health to be a concern, maybe add a healer npc in town. Enemies are spawning on the walls. If you sit while swinging your weapon your head comes detached. I may have to look at it again sometime.

Octave
Jan 9, 2008

Tnega posted:

I tried it, and here are my thoughts: First it looks a lot like Trove. The enemies being skelingtons bees and rabbits is fun, maybe add crabs. I need to be able to invert mouse Y. Out of combat regeneration is much too low, it makes the best playstyle one where you aggro things then lead them into the guards. If you want health to be a concern, maybe add a healer npc in town. Enemies are spawning on the walls. If you sit while swinging your weapon your head comes detached. I may have to look at it again sometime.

Thanks for giving it an honest play through.

It's true that combat regen at the start is hard. A healer NPC is not a bad idea. At the same time, the campfires add regen, food adds regen, and sitting doubles all regen. If you combine those things, it's not so bad.

There is also Rob in town that sells healing potions that are variable use (1/3rd chance of consumption). One is a healing potion. These are pretty cheap.

The enemies on the wall were from a bad patch. I just reverted.

Octave fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 9, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I don't want to rain on your parade but half the features in the OP sound kind of drastically unfun. Why shouldn't soloing be rewarding? Why is there not a tutorial? Why penalize death in a game that seems to be actively shooting for a steep learning curve? Why require reagents? What's wrong with quest hubs?

Sure, you've got a lot of things that distinguish your game, but I'm really not hearing any case for how any of these decisions add up to something enjoyable. You've told us what, now tell us why.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't want to rain on your parade but half the features in the OP sound kind of drastically unfun. Why shouldn't soloing be rewarding? Why is there not a tutorial? Why penalize death in a game that seems to be actively shooting for a steep learning curve? Why require reagents? What's wrong with quest hubs?

Sure, you've got a lot of things that distinguish your game, but I'm really not hearing any case for how any of these decisions add up to something enjoyable. You've told us what, now tell us why.

WoW broke online gaming man

Also look at all the crowfall/shards/pantheon/ect games in dev atm, there are about 1000 broken people who really loudly want this game.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Some people like that stuff but you don't so it's okay to not play the game or post in the thread. Anyway, cya.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Carmant posted:

Some people like that stuff but you don't so it's okay to not play the game or post in the thread. Anyway, cya.

You sure told him!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I used the key 147ECA2B2E0E1C9400870957B8B055C3, all the keys below that one have been used already.

I'm getting "Error parsing response" when trying to login so I guess it's down now.
Nevermind! I forgot a have a new firewall thingy that I had to setup beforehand to not block things.

Couple things so far:

-Mouselook speed is out of control, dunno if there's a way to change it in game

-I got my rear end kicked by a sheep

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 11, 2016

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Tnega posted:

You do NOT need to invert mouse Y. EVer. You monster

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I used 172FD41052AA55D70B53C086EF48A0C7

I'll see if I can click a few things later at least I guess.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

jabro posted:

You sure told him!

Okay.

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
I used E8C2C198E2567CFDCFC2BB146D34A0EC - going to give this a shot.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I forgot my password so I didn't get to play.

Not even joking. Literally registered, had some trouble downloading, downloaded+opened, and didn't remember my password.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 13, 2016

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
Okay! So, I gave it a shot - and I guess I'm broken because I found it enjoyable.

That being said, there's one very big thing you need to keep in mind, especially this early: if you want to not have hand-holding, there needs to be internal consistency and some sort of sense. Like, the goblins spawning in/with goblin tents? Grand! Sensible! But why do apple trees drop generic berries and why do piles of grey rock drop sulfur, which I only know I needed because I ran my mouse over everything? Where do the lost sporelings come from and how do you train a pet without it dying? Why do trees drop recipes? I like that spears don't work to cut down trees - that makes sense, sure - but there needs to be some sort of indication you're on the right track with something. That's not hand-holding - that's just good game design. Small indicators in appearance or whatever reward your players for being observant and trying new things that might work.

Also, and this is just an aside, why the blue hell are bees ranged enemies? That does not make sense.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Carmant posted:

Wow, you addressed all my doubts!

Seriously man, I hate to poo poo on your project but you did a really poor job of selling it and I was legitmately trying to prompt you to tell me what the appeal is, and the only answers I've gotten are "this is how MMOs used to be" and "please leave".

But yeah, I don't see what the appeal is. I really don't. :shrug:

Octave
Jan 9, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

Seriously man, I hate to poo poo on your project but you did a really poor job of selling it and I was legitmately trying to prompt you to tell me what the appeal is, and the only answers I've gotten are "this is how MMOs used to be" and "please leave".

I'm not the other guy but it seems like you're trying to not understand so I can see the hostility.

Anyway, I'll try to get at the super-question as to why the old MMOs differently fun than the new MMOs. Realize that I'm not trying to say the games you like are bad games or that you shouldn't like them. Just that there is another group of people who like the older style. So if you think they're not fun, that's totally cool and you can play guild wars 2 or whatever you play.

Themepark style games have a sorta meta-game loop of running from one place to another doing one of around 5? different archetypes of quests. You start to see the pattern pretty quickly. And you realize that X zone is for level 25-39, and Y zone is for level 40-45, etc. Some people reach a state of flow doing that - jumping from one hub to another.

Of course, you could say that Storyvale doesn't even have that - that you just kill things - but because of the risk of death penalty involved, and the fact that some cooperation makes you more efficient, your path to getting to be oh-so-powerful is more ambiguous. There isn't really a 25-39 area - a lot of places overlap. Sometimes, it makes more sense to not risk as much and take on easier stuff, sometimes it makes sense to go deeper into the dungeon especially with a few other people. Making those strategic decisions is where I derive a lot of enjoyment. Coordinating that with players can also be fun and rewarding. I often feel that in the games out there today, this is possible but I rarely go down the path because it's not rewarding. It's more efficient to solo. So that's what people do.

Because there are no quest hubs, there are no quest hub gear that slowly gives you what you need as you level. You have to think about specifically finding the gear you. This is another strategic decision - when to get stuff, where to go, how much you can risk, whether you need to cooperate with others. Learning the game becomes rewarding here. Communication with other players over trade is also rewarding. These two things require more thinking than just "what's the next thing on the quest tracker?" or "what's the cheapest thing on AH with x and y stats?". This thinking and communicating, to some, is fun and good.

I won't go over all the things individually, but this is sort of why sometimes the harder way is more fun - because it makes you use more of your strategic, communication, and organizations skills. Some people enjoy that. Some people find it too much work.

I hope that gets at least a little at why old MMOs are sometimes thought of as more fun than recent ones by some people.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I think I get it now - being directly responsible for your rise in power does sound kinda neat. I apologize for my apparently successful attempt not to understand earlier.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You will need to do something to make your game stand out other than nostalgia for The Old Ways, because Pantheon will have that niche locked down and I don't suspect they will garner more than a thousand subs.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It was a long and stormy walk over the hover campfires.

In the end, our efforts were rewarded. With an empty mostly featureless hill (in development)!

For serious though, it was fun enough for at least a couple hours while figuring things out before I had a look through everything. With things are they are now it would probably get kind of dull and repetitive after that first bit because it's too simple and there doesn't seem to be a lot of player skill cap involved in the execution, but without the quick arcadey fun of something like Trove. You might be able to make something very niche out of this eventually, but you'll need more depth or more arcadeyness at least. I can chalk it up to "alpha" for now, but it will need to be addressed eventually, and the mechanics you have now are probably not a sufficient toolset.

Also, try not to be Everquest: Voxel Edition with your landmarks. I saw the random chessboard and groaned internally a little. Then undead pawns at night for a little more eyerolling. A few callbacks here and there are probably ok, but that feels a little too blatant, and stuff like that would be better off as easter eggs or like small references embedded in names imo. If I wanted to play Everquest again, I would probably want to just go play Everquest.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also you should rethink the everything is an item policy, or at least make it easier to use more than 7 things at once. And easier to organize. Holy inventory recipe and spell clutter! Those really need their own interfaces/storage separate from all your other stuff.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I actually want to play but there is no way to recover my account password.

Octave
Jan 9, 2008

Khorne posted:

I actually want to play but there is no way to recover my account password.

I could reset your password but that's too much effort. Instead, I updated the OP with more keys - just use one of those.

Freakazoid_ posted:

You will need to do something to make your game stand out other than nostalgia for The Old Ways, because Pantheon will have that niche locked down and I don't suspect they will garner more than a thousand subs.

You're right that only targeting people that liked Asheron's Call, Runescape, and Everquest is probably unwise especially with voxel graphics (something that resonates with a younger audience that grew up with Minecraft).

My hope is that there is a wider audience for this stuff that doesnt-know-it-yet. I know that's a harder sell but then again younger audiences tend to be more experimental with the games they'll try so I'd just have to figure out how to get it in front of them.

Kylra posted:

Lots of stuff.
I'm glad you had a fun time with your firewalking.

And welp, you're right that there's a lot to do. Some of it is on the list (e.g. I'll have inventory filter tabs for All/Recipes/Spells/Resources/Uniques), and some stuff is like whatever - I liked the EQ chessboard. I like the Storyvale chessboard. Storyvale's chessboard actually has chess pieces sometimes. Sorry if it's too derivative for your palate but I guess I'm not that sorry. Expect more EQ, Secret of Mana, and all kinds of badly done voxel homages from my favorite games <3.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

If you're looking for new people, you are probably gonna have a hard time if a lot of your cool set pieces are references only older gamers with nostalgia for certain games are likely to get. I liked both EQ and Secret of Mana when I played them, but that doesn't mean I want a game that just constantly goes, "remember that thing you liked doesn't this sort of look like that!"

Just the chessboard thing on its own isn't too overbearing. Consider it more words of caution than something I'd say is a deal breaker at current levels. The chessboard thing made me feel more like playing EQ1 again than to keep playing your game. If this is just a pet project you're making for your personal enjoyment then by all means go hog wild on the references. If you want to maybe do a little more, then maybe try to show some restraint.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Like a chessboard thing would even be fine if you did more your own thing with it, like revamp the chess zone so it resembles chess more or something. I thought it was amusing that the pieces actually fought each other for instance, but I was still expecting something more chess-y from the chess dimension.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Voxels huh. Can you customize the appearance of your character and equipment?

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I tried it, couldn't really get into it, sorry. I wish you luck though, you've got an engine, just keep playing with it!

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Is this your chosen aesthetic, or is this temp/programmer art?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jackard posted:

Voxels huh. Can you customize the appearance of your character and equipment?

My opinion of this game will improve markedly if this is implemented.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Keep up the good work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hey I guess this might just be ignored but I think you're reactions to criticism are hilariously goony. That is all

• Locked thread