Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I used 172FD41052AA55D70B53C086EF48A0C7

I'll see if I can click a few things later at least I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It was a long and stormy walk over the hover campfires.

In the end, our efforts were rewarded. With an empty mostly featureless hill (in development)!

For serious though, it was fun enough for at least a couple hours while figuring things out before I had a look through everything. With things are they are now it would probably get kind of dull and repetitive after that first bit because it's too simple and there doesn't seem to be a lot of player skill cap involved in the execution, but without the quick arcadey fun of something like Trove. You might be able to make something very niche out of this eventually, but you'll need more depth or more arcadeyness at least. I can chalk it up to "alpha" for now, but it will need to be addressed eventually, and the mechanics you have now are probably not a sufficient toolset.

Also, try not to be Everquest: Voxel Edition with your landmarks. I saw the random chessboard and groaned internally a little. Then undead pawns at night for a little more eyerolling. A few callbacks here and there are probably ok, but that feels a little too blatant, and stuff like that would be better off as easter eggs or like small references embedded in names imo. If I wanted to play Everquest again, I would probably want to just go play Everquest.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also you should rethink the everything is an item policy, or at least make it easier to use more than 7 things at once. And easier to organize. Holy inventory recipe and spell clutter! Those really need their own interfaces/storage separate from all your other stuff.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

If you're looking for new people, you are probably gonna have a hard time if a lot of your cool set pieces are references only older gamers with nostalgia for certain games are likely to get. I liked both EQ and Secret of Mana when I played them, but that doesn't mean I want a game that just constantly goes, "remember that thing you liked doesn't this sort of look like that!"

Just the chessboard thing on its own isn't too overbearing. Consider it more words of caution than something I'd say is a deal breaker at current levels. The chessboard thing made me feel more like playing EQ1 again than to keep playing your game. If this is just a pet project you're making for your personal enjoyment then by all means go hog wild on the references. If you want to maybe do a little more, then maybe try to show some restraint.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Like a chessboard thing would even be fine if you did more your own thing with it, like revamp the chess zone so it resembles chess more or something. I thought it was amusing that the pieces actually fought each other for instance, but I was still expecting something more chess-y from the chess dimension.

• Locked thread