Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
I used E8C2C198E2567CFDCFC2BB146D34A0EC - going to give this a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
Okay! So, I gave it a shot - and I guess I'm broken because I found it enjoyable.

That being said, there's one very big thing you need to keep in mind, especially this early: if you want to not have hand-holding, there needs to be internal consistency and some sort of sense. Like, the goblins spawning in/with goblin tents? Grand! Sensible! But why do apple trees drop generic berries and why do piles of grey rock drop sulfur, which I only know I needed because I ran my mouse over everything? Where do the lost sporelings come from and how do you train a pet without it dying? Why do trees drop recipes? I like that spears don't work to cut down trees - that makes sense, sure - but there needs to be some sort of indication you're on the right track with something. That's not hand-holding - that's just good game design. Small indicators in appearance or whatever reward your players for being observant and trying new things that might work.

Also, and this is just an aside, why the blue hell are bees ranged enemies? That does not make sense.

• Locked thread