Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

glowing-fish posted:

I've always had an interest/obsession with small islands, but often its with very cold ones instead of warm ones.

Here is Edinburgh of the Southern Seas:

This is a town of 250 people. The next inhabited place is 1200 miles away, the island of Saint Helena, and its not exactly a busy place either, with only 4200 people.

There is no air flights to the island, and its pretty much cut off from the world.

hope they have one of those apps that lets you know if youre about to gently caress your cousin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Robo Reagan posted:

hope they have one of those apps that lets you know if youre about to gently caress your cousin

with a pop of 250 and no immigration I'd wager a guess and say that nobody is really "outside" of the family :v:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
cool i cant wait until saint helena is invaded by an inbred horde

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I god drat hate naruto

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Robo Reagan posted:

whats the point if youre gonna do it anyway?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do you get gently caress invites and referrals on Fuckville

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I bet tindr on that island is a blast

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

zakharov posted:

The Nauruan economy was based on bird poo poo and now that all the phosphates are gone the economy is Totally hosed.

How the hell can you run out of bird poo poo, is this island totally devoid of cars, statues and turtle wax?

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Baka-nin posted:

How the hell can you run out of bird poo poo, is this island totally devoid of cars, statues and turtle wax?

You scrape away all the topsoil to get at the fossilised birdshit underneath, then you throw the waste into the sea

Leaving a sea of pointy rocks waiting for a few milennia of birdshit to fill them up again

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Baka-nin posted:

Not seeing too many birds in the island pics.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

doctorfrog posted:

Stop the birds.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Ivor Biggun posted:

You scrape away all the topsoil to get at the fossilised birdshit underneath, then you throw the waste into the sea

Leaving a sea of pointy rocks waiting for a few milennia of birdshit to fill them up again

I want to stalk and kill wild dogs through those insane rock formations. I will escape Castle Wolfenstein!!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Ivor Biggun posted:

its cool to see sustainable methods like this practiced by the natives...so close to the earth, their mother

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/253/the-middle-of-nowhere

Nauru is a tiny island, population 12,000, a third of the size of Manhattan and far from anywhere: Yet at the center of several of the decade's biggest global events. Contributing editor Jack Hitt tells the untold story of this dot in the middle of the Pacific and its involvement in the bankrupting of the Russian economy, global terrorism, North Korean defectors, the end of the world, and the late 1980s theatrical flop of a London musical based on the life of Leonardo da Vinci called Leonardo, A Portrait of Love. (30 minutes) Economics • Terrorism • Theater

From a 2003 show, airing on NPR in the US next weekend.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
australia :(

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

fixed.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3596047/Australian-minister-warns-against-illiterate-innumerate-refugees.html

quote:

"They won't be numerate or literate in their own language, let alone English. These people would be taking Australian jobs, there's no question about that," Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said when asked about the proposed increase in the humanitarian intake quota.

"For many of them that would be unemployed, they would languish in unemployment queues..."

They gonna' take all our jobs!
And at the same time, they'll refuse to look for jobs and take all our dole money!
:downs:

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

wayne curr posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3596047/Australian-minister-warns-against-illiterate-innumerate-refugees.html

And at the same time, they'll refuse to look for jobs and take all our dole money!

Peter Dutton is the physical embodiment of a moral vacuum.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull called an election for 2nd July so expect the Liberal government to double down on refugee bashing for the next 6 weeks.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Ivor Biggun posted:

Peter Dutton is the physical embodiment of a moral vacuum.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull called an election for 2nd July so expect the Liberal government to double down on refugee bashing for the next 6 weeks.

hey be fair

so will the opposition

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Seagull posted:

hey be fair

so will the opposition

Since when are the Greens opposed to accepting refu-

Oh you meant 'the other big party' and not 'the party that stands for different things' OK never mind.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

wayne curr posted:

That coming from the Mail, I imagine he was quoted approvingly.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

glowing-fish posted:

The thing about islands is there is a lot of them, and they are often forgotten about by the rest of the world, and they often have peculiar customs and history.

Jim Bob?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Longyearbyen!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

glowing-fish posted:

Longyearbyen!

What...what did Australia do to the seed vault???

fake E: For more information:
http://icepeople.net/

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

boom boom boom posted:

I think some cultures are just worse than others

this makes you misogynist racist

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

eSports Chaebol posted:

you cant make this poo poo up (you can only slowly accumulate it over thousands of years)

http://www.vladsokhin.com/work/crying-meri/

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

glowing-fish posted:

Longyearbyen!

nice

Fiberoptic Fable
Sep 6, 2011
Hell Gem

Professor Tomtom posted:

I god drat hate naruto

Everyone wants to live on nauru, you can live on naruto

he he, get it?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Top City Homo posted:

this makes you misogynist racist

He's not wrong.

Have you seen what some cultures do when grown on inferior agar?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Cthulu Carl posted:

He's not wrong.

Have you seen what some cultures do when grown on inferior agar?

disgusting thin soup

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

doctorfrog posted:

Unlike the people, the birds can leave

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
who's their hokage

also do they use the sharp rocks in their judicial punishments, like to save money they throw you in the rock pit instead of building a jail

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

doctorfrog posted:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/253/the-middle-of-nowhere

Nauru is a tiny island, population 12,000, a third of the size of Manhattan and far from anywhere: Yet at the center of several of the decade's biggest global events. Contributing editor Jack Hitt tells the untold story of this dot in the middle of the Pacific and its involvement in the bankrupting of the Russian economy, global terrorism, North Korean defectors, the end of the world, and the late 1980s theatrical flop of a London musical based on the life of Leonardo da Vinci called Leonardo, A Portrait of Love. (30 minutes) Economics • Terrorism • Theater

From a 2003 show, airing on NPR in the US next weekend.

Came here to mention this. Holy poo poo, those pictures of the strip mine. That place got hosed up.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Seagull posted:

hey be fair

so will the opposition

Hey, get to work filling those rocky holes with poo poo!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

So in the end the whole thread (and the island itself) comes down to :itwaspoo:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm sort of surprised to learn that it's difficult to immigrate to Australia.
It's the destination of choice for my white South African cousins because it's way easier than getting into the US.
I'm guessing the"white" part is the important bit.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

canyoneer posted:

I'm guessing the"white" part is the important bit.

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Ivor Biggun posted:

This, answers my question perfectly, thank you.

Oh and hey guys let's not be too hard on the good Baron, he's not lazy, he was just playing a long game and has finally brought in a series of reforms that will bring Nauru into the 20th century!

quote:

One of the smallest countries in the world, Nauru, has decriminalized homosexuality.
Previously, the tiny island nation of just 9,000 people in the Central Pacific, has updated its antiquated criminal code to bring it up to international human rights standards.
Previously, those prosecuted of homosexuality could be jailed for up to 14 years.
The outdated criminal code, which dated back to 1899, was based on old Queensland laws. Other laws changed include decriminalizing suicide, outlawing slavery and forced child labor, and broadening the definition of rape to include in married couples.
The death penalty has been removed, as well as imprisonment with hard labor and solitary confinement. A law which punished those engaging in ‘witchcraft, sorcery or fortune telling’, which could lead to to one year of hard labor, was also removed.
Penalties for pedophilia have been increased.
Abortion remains illegal when not part of a ‘lawful medical procedure’.
While homosexuality is allowed now, there are no anti-discrimination laws or recognition of same-sex unions. Trans people also do not have a right to legally change their gender.
The Government of Nauru said the law changes, which include those promoting gender equality, reflected the nation’s ‘progressive leadership’

All hail the breaker of chains! and the father of... wild dogs.

• Locked thread