Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lascivious Sloth posted:

True story; I lived in Nauru for over a year. What a poo poo-hole.

One of highest rates of obesity, no economy, 90+% unemployment, huge domestic violence and alcohol problem, high rate of diabetes, literally has no export except phosphate which is almost all depleted, and imports 90+% of products. Coral is all dead from mining, and it has one main road that is just a circle around the island. It's just a country Australia can dump it's asylum seekers (to deter asylum seekers coming by boat because the conditions on island are worse than in a war zone.) It's also a tax haven but even that is going because they're so bad at it.

When I was there a 7 year old girl was eaten alive by dogs on the beach. There are roaming packs of wild dogs everywhere, and they're super aggressive.

AMA

Why were you there?
Why don't they shoot the packs of dogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If the country is so poor, why are they all so fat they make America look like Ethiopia?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

glowing-fish posted:

I've always had an interest/obsession with small islands, but often its with very cold ones instead of warm ones.

Here is Edinburgh of the Southern Seas:

This is a town of 250 people. The next inhabited place is 1200 miles away, the island of Saint Helena, and its not exactly a busy place either, with only 4200 people.

There is no air flights to the island, and its pretty much cut off from the world.

Same bro!

The weird thing about Tristan da Cunha (that's the island), is that the inbreeding is so high that: "There are instances of health problems attributed to endogamy, including glaucoma. In addition, there is a very high incidence of asthma among the population and research by Dr. Noe Zamel of the University of Toronto has led to discoveries about the genetic nature of the disease.[45] Three of the original settlers of the island were asthma sufferers.[46]"

I think there are only 9 surnames on the island Collins, Glass, Green, Hagan, Lavarello, Repetto, Rogers, Squibb and Swain.

You would think this would make them want immigration to reduce the incidence of this, but nope, new settlers are forbidden. It's also a British overseas territory.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why don't they just buy loads of birds and feed them taco bell so they poo poo everywhere?

Also where the gently caress is that AMA guy who said he lived there? I want answers, and I want them now.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Working to help the refugees and asylum seekers.

They do, and they did after that girl was killed, but they keep coming back because they hide in the forests and multiply quickly.

I got caught in a rip one time and nearly died, but a fishing boat came by and picked me up. Some asylum seekers and nauruans died by drowning from fighting the rip. Because there is a huge drop after about 100 metres outside the island "reef" the rip is insanely powerful and it's in the middle of the pacific ocean with nothing around. The surfs terrible but some people go out and do some surfing, snorkeling or scuba diving. There are lots of tuna if you go out a km and they are massive and easy to catch.

True. but there are no 5 guys burger and fries on island. only lots of chinese food (there is a big chinese population in one of the 12 sections)

Nope, no meth. just alcohol and Kava which numbs your mouth and gives you a kind of drinking high/drunkenness.

Yes, the Baron does sit on a throne and he's a fat piece of poo poo that does nothing.

Yes, spam in a can is a thing often bought and shoveled into their pie holes.

Wow....

An island truly worse than living in Britain. I need some time to process this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whilst

Seems real and quite depressing, I looked at the rest of his twitter and he is a mentalist. Batty is a great loving name for him.

spud fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 12, 2016

• Locked thread