Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Maldoror posted:

Has anyone ever watched those "Don't talk to police" youtube vids?

All the murderers have to do is not talk to Columbo and just say "I have nothing to say". :D

yeah but all the perps have giant egos and think they're better than him in some way and just can't help themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

gender illusionist posted:

yeah but all the perps have giant egos and think they're better than him in some way and just can't help themselves

Just like real life, most of the time. Everyone thinks they are going to outsmart the people trained to interrogate and break you down.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

egon_beeblebrox posted:

How much of the 80s - 2003 revival is good? I haven't got to that point yet. I know about it, and doubt it's bad. But is Old Man Lt. Columbo worth it?

it's real good, and worth it to the max.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

My old roommate and I made up a columbo drinking game. Two episodes to total inebriation.

We called it "oh, just one more drink".

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

gender illusionist posted:

They don't just want to get away with it, they want to keep their good names. "Murder suspect" is the kind of thing ppl will say about you forever, even if you're cleared.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the story i've always heard, but never been able to verify was that the "just one more question" thing was allegedly accidental. the first time peter falk used it was because he forgot the rest of the line he was supposed to say. he turned right back around when he remembered it to try and save the take.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's probably bullshit, though, so here's a scene where norm from cheers gets legit tired of columbo's bullshit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biW9BbWJtQU&hd=1

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't realize Norm was such an angry drunk. Probably years of dealing with Cliff telling him stupid facts.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh, and columbo is totally married. it figured into the plot in "rest in peace, mrs columbo" where the wife of one of the men columbo arrested tries to kill columbo's wife to get revenge.

i mean, yeah, it was one of the abc episodes, but it's still canon.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

it's probably bullshit, though, so here's a scene where norm from cheers gets legit tired of columbo's bullshit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biW9BbWJtQU&hd=1

Saw that one the other week. Jeez, that Norm guy is a terrible, terrible actor.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

monkeytennis posted:

Saw that one the other week. Jeez, that Norm guy is a terrible, terrible actor.

it's hard to convey and emphasize human emotion when your face is 90% lard.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Thank you thread. Before you all I thought Columbo was just a show for old people to fawn over. Now, I too enjoy that rumpled, inquisitive detective. I really....

Oh poo poo....

I'm an old now. :suicide:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I watched Columbo for the first time when I was like 11 or so and I liked it then, too.

It's relaxing.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I like that Columbo has little throwaway lines to previous cases/episodes. Early on in Double Exposure he has a line about he didn't get any sleep because he stayed up all night "working on that Haywood case," which refers to Candidate for Murder, an earlier episode in the season. And he mentions that case again in Publish or Perish as being a good idea for a book. Also all the stuff with his basset hound failing out of obedience school in that thinktank episode was adorable :3:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Tighclops posted:

What the gently caress happened to Robbie's legs

Got shot off by some chinaman in korea

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I like that Columbo has little throwaway lines to previous cases/episodes. Early on in Double Exposure he has a line about he didn't get any sleep because he stayed up all night "working on that Haywood case," which refers to Candidate for Murder, an earlier episode in the season. And he mentions that case again in Publish or Perish as being a good idea for a book. Also all the stuff with his basset hound failing out of obedience school in that thinktank episode was adorable :3:

other than the dog scenes the thinktank episode was amazingly bad. he couldnt find any evidence or a way to trick the killer into incriminating himself so instead he arrested the son to bully the father into confessing. then there was all the dumb robot stuff which required that the robot have no memory of previous commands.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Serious Frolicking posted:

other than the dog scenes the thinktank episode was amazingly bad. he couldnt find any evidence or a way to trick the killer into incriminating himself so instead he arrested the son to bully the father into confessing. then there was all the dumb robot stuff which required that the robot have no memory of previous commands.

Yeah, that episode was pretty rough. I liked how the murderer - a genius director at a thinktank - was flummoxed that using a car to run over a person would, you know, damage the car. All the basset hound stuff made it worthwhile, though.

aswert1223
Dec 6, 2004

The Ultimate Dripping Machine
Long time Columbo fan here, I am glad this thread may be introducing this great show to some new viewers.

I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread yet: The song This Old Man occurs in many Columbo episodes. http://www.columbo-site.freeuk.com/music.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfSRQTXK4nU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I just checked: Columbo still owns

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
But there's just this one thing that's bothering me...

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Payless Shoes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Is it syphilis?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This morning I watched the episode where Columbo goes to a soup kitchen to interview a wino who witnessed a murder, and the nun running the soup kitchen thinks he's homeless because of his ratty old coat :lol:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The wino was excellent also

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Columbo is a very good show

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This morning I watched the episode where Columbo goes to a soup kitchen to interview a wino who witnessed a murder, and the nun running the soup kitchen thinks he's homeless because of his ratty old coat :lol:

I liked when he had a new coat his wife gave him and he just tries to 'forget' it constantly but there is always a friendly uniform nearby to go 'hey you forgot your coat, sir!'

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If Columba and Schimanski fought, who would win?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The show is great, but it would have been better had it been on HBO. Cuz of boobs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dont really want to see peter falk's boobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

God, I want a 1959 Peugeot convertible, Model 403.

• Locked thread