Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So idk if this is the right forum, but it seems like it.

I have power generator I keep in my utility basement for...power outages. I had a 220 exterior plug installed so I can roll it out the doors and plug it in. It's stored with all the Normal utility room poo poo furnace, water heater, softener, and other explodie stuff.

It's 2 yrs old and sprang a leak of gas. On concrete, maybe into some floor studs, and insulation. Like 5 gallons.

I ripped out all the insulation that may have wicked it up, took tri sodium phosphate to the floor, and ran a fan with windows open for 4 days. Still gass smell. Kitty litter was first too. After that I put a slurry of baking powder and water.

Thought some grease monkeys may have an idea to alleviate me poisoning my family and drenching their clothes with stench when I turn back on the AC.

Send hel...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Gas smells good dog

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Lighting a match or some candles can help remove the smell, might work in your case.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

User Error posted:

Gas smells good dog

My wife suggested febreeze so

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Serious Answer: Vanilla Extract.

Buy a bottle, put it in a pan, and let it sit. It will help kill the smell.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

What would it take to find a shitload of activated charcoal I wonder? Would it suck a noticeable amount of the vapor out of the air just on its own? Also why the hell are you storing gasoline indoors?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rent a ozone machine and try that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Darth123123 posted:

My wife suggested febreeze so

Febreze really is chemical magic. Try it. It can't hurt.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tommychu posted:

What would it take to find a shitload of activated charcoal I wonder? Would it suck a noticeable amount of the vapor out of the air just on its own? Also why the hell are you storing gasoline indoors?

Because 220v 150' extension cords are expensive?

Platystemon posted:

Febreze really is chemical magic. Try it. It can't hurt.

This is working a bit.

Tommychu posted:

This may work. Hopefully Amazon

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Ozone machine. I spilled gas in my wife's car, and it reeked no matter what I did.
Got one of those cheap ozone machines like http://www.amazon.com/Foreverozone-...ator+bare+bones

and it no longer smells.
The Ozone oxidizes the hydrocarbons without burning your house done, and you don't have gas smell any more.
5 gallons may take a while though, especially if its all soaked into the floor.

Oh and activated charcoal won't work well, because its just absorbing the fumes.
It may work to smell better while its there though, but I bet you need more than $100 worth of it (or whatever a ozone generator costs to rent locally).

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Ok, now what gets rid of gear oil on carpet :getout:

I just threw the carpet away, problem solved.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Astonishing Wang posted:

Ok, now what gets rid of gear oil on carpet :getout:

I just threw the carpet away, problem solved.

methyl ethyl ketone will get rid of the oil, at least

the fact that it will probably get rid of the carpet faster notwithstanding

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

blindjoe posted:

Ozone machine. I spilled gas in my wife's car, and it reeked no matter what I did.
Got one of those cheap ozone machines like http://www.amazon.com/Foreverozone-...ator+bare+bones

and it no longer smells.
The Ozone oxidizes the hydrocarbons without burning your house done, and you don't have gas smell any more.
5 gallons may take a while though, especially if its all soaked into the floor.

Oh and activated charcoal won't work well, because its just absorbing the fumes.
It may work to smell better while its there though, but I bet you need more than $100 worth of it (or whatever a ozone generator costs to rent locally).

Ozone things smell, lol, like a scam?

Someone tell me not to buy one. I'm on Amazon....

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 14, 2016

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Darth123123 posted:

Ozone things smell, lol, like a scam?

Someone tell me not to buy one. I'm on Amazon....

Nah not a scam. It oxidizes the fuel and then its water and CO2.
Now dog smell, maybe a scam. but 100% fuel? It will fix it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Can confirm ozone machines work wonders - parents owned a carpet cleaning/flood + fire restoration company and used them regularly on fire jobs.

You definitely do not want to be in the same room (or building really) while one is running though.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
This sounds like the trunk of my NA

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

some texas redneck posted:

Can confirm ozone machines work wonders - parents owned a carpet cleaning/flood + fire restoration company and used them regularly on fire jobs.

You definitely do not want to be in the same room (or building really) while one is running though.

Why is that?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Darth123123 posted:

Why is that?

Is no bueno for your health.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/air/in/poll/ozone/index-eng.php

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We use ozone machines at the resort I work at when idiots smoke in the room. Then we charge them $250.

Gets the smoke smell out every time, but it has to run for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Darth123123 posted:

Because 220v 150' extension cords are expensive?

You keep the generator in the basement and the gas outside in a separate container.

As well as avoiding the current situation, it also prevents that 'my house has just burnt down and my family are dead' issue that some find a slightly more inconvenient than having to drain the generator after use.

• Locked thread