Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Problem description: Title says it all. I got my rig upgraded recently and to celebrate I thought I'd change my user settings. Changed my picture and set a new password. When I woke up today I put my new password in, but apparently it's not the right one. I don't have a password reset disk and my Windows installation disk is about forty miles away at my parent's house.

When I upgraded I had an SSD installed as a boot drive, which is the drive I'm trying to log in with. I also have an OS on one of the old drives, so I'm currently booting from there as it gives me access to my PC, but all my games, mods, and the music I make are on the SSD.

I'm on Windows 7 64bit. I've done a bit of research and it looks like my only option is a password recovery tool. The ones I've looked at kinda look a bit sketchy so far, though. Does anyone have a program they've used and trusted in the past?

I realise my incredible stupidity and any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Attempted fixes: I've Googled a few solutions, but I don't have a password reset disk and my Windows installation disk is half way across the country.

Recent changes: N/A

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64bit.

System specs: N/A

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Googled - can't find an faq.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Hirens Boot CD can reset a Windows password I think. It's pretty popular and trusted.

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002
Have you tried getting stoned again? Maybe it will send you on a thought journey that takes you back to the password man.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Gromit posted:

Hirens Boot CD can reset a Windows password I think. It's pretty popular and trusted.

Gonna try that right now. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Fishmasher posted:

Have you tried getting stoned again? Maybe it will send you on a thought journey that takes you back to the password man.

Will also try that.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
we need some "because I got high" jokes in here

btw OP you know you can DL the isos directly from Microsoft's website, right? iirc you don't even need the product key unless you're reformatting

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 14, 2016

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

That's the tool I used at my old job to clear out people's Windows passwords when they'd forget them (most of my customers were very, very old). It's not pretty but it does get the job done, and the only time I broke anything using it was when I left a dongle for a wireless mouse in a usb port. It's included on most versions of Hiren's Boot Disc that I've seen, and will take you literally three minutes or less to use and get back into your account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Cheers, guys. I managed to get in with Hirens. This time I'll have a password reset disk and I promise to stay away from the user settings when there are marijuanas involved.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

• Locked thread