Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Isn't that what chops are meant to be

Huh I suppose it is. I guess I'd want to see that concept fleshed out a bit more.

Basically I want to see the game being able to model this

However I'm very aware that my desire to see Civ as "less game" and "more history simulator" is solidly in the minority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:cripes:

Why are mountains completely useless?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 16, 2024

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

(laughs at you in quechua)

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Fister Roboto posted:

What's that like a +5 or 6 holy site on that desert tile?

edit: Alternatively stick a preserve on it the appeal must be through the roof

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Can get four ski resorts!

Incidentally it is bullshit ski resorts can't be built on volcanoes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hell yeah, ski resorts where there's a non-zero chance that you'll die in a cataclysmic eruption! The lift lines will be packed!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

No joke you should get extra tourism for that

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

harrygomm posted:

mapuche has a man at arms in my territory, level 1 on an unimproved grassland. i get him down to ~1 HP and the next turn it heals about 50% of its life. it has nothing to pillage, it doesn't level up, there are no nearby units it is swapping places with, it doesn't kill any of my units, the dead sea is in the game but about 20 tiles away. all of my mods purport to be only UI mods.

is there a hidden leader, unit, or difficulty ability or explanation? i can't find anything. with the previous spy upgrade issue i had i figured a fresh install of the game and paring down of mods was in order so that's all very recently done as well
Possibly some global effect just fired off, some ideas:
-He built a wonder
-Nearby Governor
-Some government plaza building fired off
-Some religious effect
-But the real answer is it's probably some loving city state effect, inevitably.

Civ6 has a serious problem with this, I never really noticed it until playing a bunch of other games and coming back, the "modality" of all your bonuses is terrible and everything's hidden behind a few menus.

edit: It could have been an alliance effect, ffs. It wasn't, I checked, but holy poo poo you see what I mean?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was going to guess some sort of Moksha effect but you said it's on your land, and I guess you're sure there aren't any acolytes or medics nearby? (guessing it's way too early in game for medics)

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 16, 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I mean the game also straight-up cheats sometimes. In the game I'm playing with my buddy I met England's Warrior on Turn 4, and I was sad because that meant they were gonna be up my rear end, right? Maximum of 8 squares away from where I met them, or 14 if the Warrior and Settler sprinted in opposite directions (since the settler would need to settle for London to exist)

Incorrect. London was 17 hexes off the meeting place, and most of what was between was Forest Hills and Mountains. Their Warrior simply teleported, there is no other explanation. Ah well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
At higher difficulties the computer player will have more units which don't all spawn on the same tile, so the first settler could be off by a few tiles in one direction while the surplus warrior you met coulda been off in the other direction. Also free units from a goodie hut meant that it might have been a scout that initially came your way.

The computer players 'cheat' in some ways, but teleporting units is not one of them.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Liz was set to Prince, so she only had 1 warrior and 1 settler. Also Goodie Hut units are all recon-class and spawn on the nearest city, so again not that.

To further confuse things there was a river that the unit would need to cross twice on the fastest path, meaning that their minimum-17 tile walk which they completed in 4 turns would have actually taken 10 at minimum.

Maybe it was a mod, though all my mods are informational and don't claim to interact with gameplay. Doesn't matter, we ended up restarting because my friend had barbarians spawn directly outside city sight 3 times in the first 50 turns.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't follow this game. Any word on a sequel, I love the franchise but don't gently caress with VI

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't follow this game. Any word on a sequel, I love the franchise but don't gently caress with VI

They recently put out a survey asking players how likely they’d be to recommend (among other games) Civ I and II to other people and how excited we’d be at cross-brand promotions

So I don’t know the answer to your question but if/when a new game comes out, lol

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

They announced that Civ VII was being worked on back in February. Nothings since then.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I feel like this would end up just as unfun as every pollution and global warming mechanic ends up being. Also the way the Civ games get balanced you'll somehow end up running out of all your resources four turns into the industrial revolution and slide into post peak collapse instantly.

I always felt that the Civ games should be fully customizable, with checkboxes to (de)activate options such as these.

Sometimes you just don't want to deal with all the fluff such as the environment and just concentrate on building an empire instead.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I think Humankind has a pollution toggle where you can chose how bad the pollution maluses are, from "none" to "enough pollution is a game over for everyone".

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

From what I've heard, they're definitely working on Civ VII but the global pandemic did a number on their early schedules and team so there's no current forecast on when it'll be ready

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm hoping it gets pushed back until a fair amount of terrible player engagement related game design trends go away.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I feel like 90% of my posts in this thread are just me talking about my run ins with Barbarians but this made me laugh.

They missed a trick by not giving barbs comedy pirate ships.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

That would be an amazing fleet to run into with Sinbad.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yogscast civ game today was fun, in a shock to no one Ursa went aggressive and somehow no one was even slightly prepared. I didn't watch the civ 5 stream, but apparently everyone was kind of drunk and sassy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

khwarezm posted:

I feel like 90% of my posts in this thread are just me talking about my run ins with Barbarians but this made me laugh.

They missed a trick by not giving barbs comedy pirate ships.

My favorite thing is when you clear a coastal barb camp and then all the galleys that were hiding in the fog go and loving destroy your nearest coastal city.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

That’s where the Sea Peoples from the Bronze Age Collapse came from

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing is when you clear a coastal barb camp and then all the galleys that were hiding in the fog go and loving destroy your nearest coastal city.

Okay, so I’m not nuts and imagining that happens.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Fister Roboto posted:

Eye for an eye :colbert:

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 16, 2024

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Probably why sometimes you have barbarian scouts bashing themselves to death on your city walls too if you've cleared their outpost.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Civ confession time:

I immediately restart a game if I don't think the starting location is pretty enough.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Me too. Then I also restart if I don't have any neighbours near enough to share a fun border, and I also restart if I lose a particularly good settling spot to a rival

It's a miracle I've ever actually finished a game

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 16, 2024

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

H13 posted:

Civ confession time:

I immediately restart a game if I don't think the starting location is pretty enough.

Extremely same, but also I restart for any reason that annoys me or seems like a chore. Like a horde of barbarians surrounding my scout in turn 5 or something.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'll frequently restart in the first ten turns until the vibes feel right. Then I'll do another round of restarts at the end of the ancient era based on the vibes then.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well, the second Monthly challenge thing is actually interesting & fun! You start as Harald in the Classical era and have a few hard choices where to plant your first city, as the archepeligo has already been half-explored for you, so if you did a coastal city for longships asap you'd instantly know to find all the city states, and enemy civs don't have walls up yet and are easy pickings. Or you could go inland and have a pretty sweet religious into production setup, as pictured.

Honestly it's a very good newbie scenario! Especially with allowing for Heroes mode as advertisement to those who don't own it. If it wasn't for being bloody hardlocked to prince...

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
it says you can do it in emperor too. not a huge bump but its something.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How does one do that? The only way I know of starting the game is via the big dumb banner ad, which doesn't ask for options

edit: Apparently there are two different banner ads for the two difficulties, sigh. How poorly done.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 16, 2023

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Checking out this game for the first time since I got it on my phone and the amenities/housing system remind me of civ 4

Feels a bit easy though since I started on immortal and was just winging it and it felt like things were decided by turn 150. In 4 at least once you got over monarch I think you start to really pay attention to min maxing stuff like setting up gp farms and cottage cities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah if you’re good at Civilization it’s kind of hard to lose even at Deity without setting yourself silly
tasks. Luckily it’s not that kind of game, really, and 90% of folks playing it will have a good challenge winging it on Prince or King.