Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is Sean Bean doing the tech tree, or was that just a thing for that E3 demo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've been paying just shy of 0 attention to this game since I didn't want to get overhyped...

... and I've been rewarded, because the game is coming out in 10 days and I had no idea! :neckbeard:

Tell me everything guys, I'm so excited :allears:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

iFriend posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before. Can any of you recommend a free AUS VPN for unlocking early?

I'm so loving hyped (as with every civ release).

I think I used VyprVPN the last time I did an early unlock? Seemed to work fine. I've only ever bothered to unlock one or two games early. Civ6 fits the bill :neckbeard:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Smoremaster posted:

Can you get banned for using a VPN to unlock a game early on Steam? What's the Australia release time in EST? Noon Thursday?

In theory yes, in practice I've never heard of it happening. BUYING in another region, yes. Unlocking, I don't think they give a poo poo.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Does anyone know if a city has to be built directly on the coast for it to be a coastal city, or is one tile away sufficient? For that matter, is there even such a thing as a 'coastal city', or is the only thing that matters where the city's buildable hexes are located?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Offer Open Borders, request Open Borders

This offer is not acceptable

Ok what would make this offer acceptable

Open Borders for Open Borders

:downs:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Amenities is a very boring word

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What the hell are those 'Star' adjacency markers for? Do you actually get some bonus for being adjacent to other districts/the city center?

For actual production bonuses, it shows +ind/+sci/+gold, but what is this unmarked star bonus?

For reference, this is an Industrial Zone being placed

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

LightWarden posted:

Star marks a district boundary. Most districts get a +1 to yields if placed next to two other districts, though Japan gives a +1 to per adjacent district. This only applies to things that actually output gold/culture/science/faith, so you don't get much on your encampments, for example. City center counts as a district for this purpose.

Thanks, I noticed I was getting +1 industry for being next to... the Campus??? poo poo makes no sense.

Another question, does anyone know what causes the actual cost of buildings/districts to rise?

Like all districts are 60 production to build, but at the point I'm at, some of them are 251 production, and some are 335, and I have no idea why.

I assumed part of it was advancing eras, but that doesn't explain why campus/entertainment/theater/industrial are more expensive than holy/encampment/harbor right now.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

LightWarden posted:

You were getting +1 Industry for being next to the Campus and Aquaduct, so a +1 for adjacent to two districts.

District costs, like builder costs and settler costs have a base cost but it increases as you build more of them, so the more you build the more expensive the next becomes and the longer it takes to get new ones especially in a newly founded city with low production. Unless you're the Aztecs and can builder-rush districts since Aztec builders contribute 20% of the total district production cost per charge. If you have a special district like the British Royal Dockyard, Greek Acropolis, Roman Aquaduct or Kongo Mbanza then it costs half as much as the district normally would, so you can build them faster.

Thanks, this explains a great deal. I was wondering what (if any) the penalties were for going wide, and other than happiness I didn't spot anything. The Civlopedia was really blank on production cost stuff, it's probably in there in the district section somewhere.

Need a phone friendly version so I can do some toilet reading on it :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The lack of hotkey bindings is baffling :psyduck: No movement keys, hardbound to arrows, no Yield button, but 1-6 are conveniently bound to... map lenses? Yay?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Not kidding when I say I didn't even think to look if it had one

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

WASD camera fix and other stuff like faster tooltips

It's mentioned that you can remove the logos at the start in the comments but they don't explain how to actually do it. :mad:

"Replace intro logo with an empty bk2 file to remove it. http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm to create an empty .bik file, then rename it to logos.bk2 and place it in \Base\Platforms\Windows\Movies"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I would have to echo the concerns about production being too low and being unable to keep up with science and civics. 30 turns for a monument in a new city is pretty absurd. It feels like the hammer cost for everything should be like a whole 50% less

I ran into this, two things that I didn't know:

1) District cost (and buildings? not sure) rises as you build more in your empire. This is a penalty for going super wide if you're building up your cities and try to add another relatively late.

and more importantly 2) Adjacency bonuses for your Industrial Zones are really important. You get +prod for adjacent mines, quarries, and 2x other districts.

So if possible, place your IZ next to 3+ mines/quarries.

I didn't do this on my first game and was wondering why everything started to take forever to build once I was past the early eras.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I wonder if lowering any range unit with a range >1 would help the combat AI at all. It loving sucks at dealing with archers in any era.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Unormal posted:

The game is good but unit auto cycling switching units after I just loving clicked a unit to select it is literally the worst UI behavior of all time.

The UI in general is just aggressively garbage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/58q3qj/psa_guide_on_how_to_enable_wasd_andor_other/

I'll avoid commenting on the sheer idiocy of needing to do any of these changes rather than them already existing as options in the game, but hey

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Civ6 is a well made game that has given me two of the most boring games of Civ I've played in a long, long time.

My very first game on King, I start on a continent with England and Arabia. After fending off early era attacks from both of them with the superior strategy of 'a ranged unit on a hill facing a huge outnumbering force', England was my buddy forever, and Arabia was ineffectual and did nothing.

I cruised out into the lead scientifically and stayed there all game, eventually quitting in boredom because holy poo poo did you see how long it takes to build spaceship parts if you didn't make a donut of industry with your cities that you wouldn't know to make in your first game?

Second game, I play as China, intending to build All The Old Wonders and... do just that.

Because there was no one else on my continent. I kept clicking next turn out of morbid curiosity, and eventually met them all jammed on another continent, but I was at a point where I could crush them all beneath my Venetian naval fleet of modern destroyers while they faffed about with medieval/ren era units.

I'm not entirely sure this is Civ's fault, exactly, but jeeze, those were not interesting games or stories.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

I'm playing Kongo. It takes like 290 gold to buy a Ngao Mbeba. It takes 175 gold to buy a warrior and upgrade it to a Ngao Mbeba. What.

Also, now that I have the cheaper upgrade policy, I can buy a warrior every turn, then upgrade and sell it the next turn at a profit.

Military industrial complex subsidies at work, seems fine imo

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm mildly shocked they didn't steal Endless Legend's take on armies and hex combat. It has a brilliant system where when two armies meet, they 'expand' into their full size and the actual terrain nearby is used as the battlefield.

It neatly solves the massive swarms of dorks covering every hex for a mile, and still lets you have a mini hex wargame battle instead of doom stacks smooshing into each other.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I always found Endless Legend's combat to be extremely cumbersome. I can understand its appeal, but how often do you actually manually engage in EL? Most of the time you click auto-resolve, right? It's cool the first dozen times or in the very beginning of the game where micromanaging your units' orders can actually decide a battle, but after that it's like, oh god just get it over with.

And could you imagine fighting this game's barbarians, what with their spawn frequency? No thanks.

The single army-spread into map system is the part I like, EL's units are a mess of 10 different tooltip-obscured abilities in a mishmash along with a totally inappropriate rpg style equipment system that's cumbersome in a 4x, and the actual combat is a strange plan-and-execute mix.

The main thing is it solves the problem of large army movement with 1upt, and makes it correspondingly easier for the AI to move forces around (something it royally loving sucks at with 1upt clusters).

Megazver posted:

"One of the things that Brian and I talked about back when he was working, was taking the battles and putting them onto a separate map and fighting them out in a minigame mode. We looked at that and it really added to the complexity, without adding much value. "

I'd argue that the current 1UPT is, like, the combination of the worst sides of both approaches. But they're probably not doing the separate screen any time soon.

It's not a separate screen, that's why I like it so much. AoW3 has a separate tactical map and is a good fun game, but it's a different approach.

EL drops the army battle right there on the same terrain you're playing everything else on, so you can still take advantage of chokepoints/forts/cities/useful defensive terrain etc, but the transition is fast and seamless.

(I think most 4x combat in general is pretty jank, because power disparity often means the outcome of a war is already decided before it even begins, even if you ignore the frequent deficiency of AI tactical ability, but that's neither here nor there :P)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think the AI has been lovely for decades but more people are finally veteran enough to notice it on a more regular basis :shobon:

And judging by steam victory %s, the vast majority of players are still crappy enough that they don't know, don't care, or have plenty of fun in spite of that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Holy poo poo at homm 5.5

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

im the farm that costs more hammers to build than the space elevator

I laughed

Then I cried

Strategy games are a real mess sometimes :smith:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Antares posted:

Everyone says the AI is bad but I rolled a fractal map, with the default number of civs, and Kongo spawned 5 tiles away and killed me with his free units on turn 6 or 7.

Peak AI :hmmyes:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Well according to multiple reviews the ai is basically non existent.

So a TBS game then

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Big budget games are underpriced

or

They can get away with it

Choose one

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So I played 6 the least of any civ since 3. Does Storm push it into worth it territory?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

The bitching about the Civ 6 quotes seems really petty. That said, nothing will beat the now dead narrator of Civ 5.

nah, they suck awfully and richly deserve regular ridicule

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

dy. posted:

I'm kind of still mad about Beyond Earth. It's an empty shell of a cool game.

me

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

have patches or mods improved the ai? haven't touched this in ages, mostly for that reason

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Millennia also experiments with alternate, much earlier victory conditions (literally victory ages, if you're running away with the game you can attempt to end it early by going for and succeeding at one of them)