Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

For those who are interested, last March was Civ's twenty fifth birthday and the strategy game podcast Three Moves Ahead had Jon Shafer (lead dev on Civ V) and Soren Johnson (lead dev on IV) on to talk about the series. If you're a fan it is pretty interesting! Good parts include a giant hate-on for espionage mechanics and Shafer talking about how V was conceived as a test bed for new mechanics after IV "perfected" the old formula started by II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Groovelord Neato posted:

is shafer's game ever coming out

He set a release date for like, winter 2017 I think, or something ridiculously far away like that. The dude's kind of crazy.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Managing 1upt carpets of doom was always a much more enormous pain in the dick than just shift clicking stacks of units around, plus the different unit qualities in IV made stack management more tactical anyway. I feel like a lot of people came in when Civ V launched cause Steam sales and whatnot and just heard tales of the horrible micromanagement hell of doom stacks, which has never really been the case. The AI could even actually fight you! And yes, I do have Soren's dick lodged squarely in mouth.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Grinning Goblin posted:

Poor kids will never experience the Ultimate Fanfic Crossover Circle Jerk that was the Fall From Heaven mods.

This, but unironically.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Espionage is, was, and ever shall be horrible in all strategy games. Even Soren and Shafer have both admitted they think it's a fundamentally unworkable mechanic.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

How's the actual warfare AI/system looking? Less prone to being chumped than V?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gorelab posted:

The modern Civ 4 music basically made it feel like the world was just in some sort of hellwar to me.

It was awesome. Felt appropriate for a world poised on either achieving the stars or nuking itself into oblivion.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nader Shah would be an awesome and unexpected choice for Persia.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Airfoil posted:

I wonder... is there a strategy game that a reasonable percentage of people agree actually has good AI?

Civ IV. EU IV, most of the time. It's hard to get right, certainly, but I don't think it means we should just let deva off the hook.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

firaxis is the new maxis

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Y'all got my nostalgia boner on. Time to dive in and see if anyone ever made a competent AI mod for FfH2.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gort posted:

Cuv 4's AI kicked my rear end a lot

I remember every war being, "poo poo, get every city building units NOW" and then 1UPT came along and it was more a question of whether you'd lose a unit this war or not

It worked well enough for the base game, but it was not at all designed for anything like Fall from Heaven. It's a shame that Firaxis still hasn't made a Civ as good as IV and that future prospects aren't any brighter.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Did Beyond Earth ever get any big balance or AI overhaul mods?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Crazy Ted posted:

Here's where Civ VI is at right now: the official scenarios are more fun to play than the base game itself, and I think that's really the first version of the series I can say that about.

The FfH and the Ryse and Fall scenarios included in BTS were pretty good! :eng101:

gently caress I miss Fall from Heaven so bad, it's a travesty that the lead dev got sucked into Stardock.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Yeah I played all of one half game with espionage in BtS before turning it off. I remember Soren and Schafer describing it as one of those mechanics devs feel obligated to shoe-horn in even though it's always awful.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

A Civ IV HD rerelease with Steam Workshop would be insanely good. It pains me that this does not exist already. Also save Kael from Stardock and put him to work on Fall from Heaven III ty

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Captain Oblivious posted:

The only reason to want to play Civ 4 is to play FFH2

:wrong:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i'm normally a IV boi but I feel like putting some time into V. Are there any fun or 'fun' big overhaul mods, or recommended sets of mod civs?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Poopuli it is, thanks for the suggestions all. Still on the lookout for any standout new civs tho

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I genuinely don't understand how the ai is this incompetent. I mean, poo poo's hard, but not that hard. And this is the same studio that's made the X-Com reboots :psyduck:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Baronjutter posted:

AI is really hard to do, and it gets harder the more and more kitchen-sink ideas the devs keep tossing into the game. A game like the original master of orion can have an amazing seeming AI because the core of how the economy and warfare and diplomacy work are simple enough for an AI to master but still present tons of depth for a human player. Games like Civ6 and Stellaris though constantly fail to provide AI's that even give the illusion it can handle the basics of the game's core mechanics because modern strategy games have decided to be needlessly complicated. At some level it feels like modern strategy games are design specifically to trip up AI's on fussy busy-work mechanics that a human can very quickly master to see the optimal solution but it requires a bunch of annoying clicking, while the AI absolutely fails.

Any player can understand the hex based 1-unit-per-hex combat very quickly, they can see a fortified city and quick come up with a basic plan to surround the city with artillery and battleships and blast away at the defenses then move in with fast-moving units or those musketmen you've got fortified around the city. It's not really fun or interesting as a player, it's just a bunch of fiddly unit ordering and bombarding over and over. At the same time, it's often incredibly difficult to program an AI that can so easily assess a situation like that and correctly maneuver its units into roughly optimal positions.

I'd much rather civ go back to it's roots and stop bolting on so many sub-mechanics, unique abilities, asymmetrical civs traits, and victory paths and focus on making an interesting and challenging game the AI can come close to master, or at least give the illusion it has.
Stellaris' and Hearts of Iron IV's AIs have issues but they really aren't anyway near as borked as Civ right now.

I also think you are overstating the difficulty of designing an ai that can, in the case of 6 specifically, do things like recognize "opponent's last city, i have units in range, i should attack" or "opponent has literally no units, and one city, do not surrender to them." There are TBS games with functional tactical AI, these are not unsolvable problems

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

victrix posted:

So I played 6 the least of any civ since 3. Does Storm push it into worth it territory?

Wait two weeks then check the thread's temperature. It's not going anywhere and 40$ is a decent chunk of change

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

1 unit per tile, solving a marginal problem (large stacks can be unwieldy) in the most drastic and disastrous way possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I feel like it's come up a lot but yeah, the VI quotes are generally pretty bad. A lot of them are practically tangential to their tech, others are just asinine. They feel like they were chosen by an intern in haste