Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Prav posted:

what the gently caress do open-air museums have to do with sweden? also katarina sucks

I mean they were kind of invented here? Admittedly the origin is in Norway, and also way after Kristina's time, but they're definitely a 'swedish thing' as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
"Add beards to all remaining leaders that did not previously have beards. "

ALL remaining leaders? Best change in the patch notes

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Lol, yeah. Basically razing all of England.

Razing is also not a bad idea due to the fact that my empire is seriously plenty big enough already. Like, in some cities I've just taken, it says it's gonna be 999+ turns for anyrhing? Wtf? And in a lot of other cities it's hundreds of turns to do almost anything, but that seems more normal than the 999+ turns to so much as build a monument. Not sure what that's about--maybe you guys can explain it.

Being occupied, unhappy, and low on loyalty all (I think) penalize production, eventually stalling it out completely. Taking hundreds or infinite turns is not because the city is bad, but because they hate you. Getting the loyalty/occupied situation resolved will make them produce at sane rates again.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
So I played as Babylon today. Then I met Babylon. It was correctly named Anshan in the notification and envoy screen, but it said Babylon on the map. Once I got suzerain of them, my envoy screen broke, being stuck at "confirm placement" and not updating as I met new states/got more enjoys. About 20 turns later, the game crashed. Cool.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

TipTow posted:

Has anyone else noticed the AI is hampered a bit by the tech/civic shuffling mode? I usually play on emperor, and seem to have a much easier time keeping up with the AI in techs and civics in the early game when the shuffler is on. In particular I'm much more likely to be able to found a religion with the mode on than I am with it off. I can only suppose the AI doesn't know how to "scout" the trees with eurekas.

Honestly I would have assumed the ai is either not smart enough to look ahead ever (only evaluating the options available right now) or picks specific techs as targets and goes for them. The first would be unaffected by shuffle, the second might if the hiddenness actually affects them. AI opponents knowing things a player wouldn't is pretty standard.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'd say on ~90% of maps 2 or 3 expansion directions are blocked off by city states. loving why make the game like this.

Stop roleplaying a saint and expand anyway! Just take them over if they're in your way, it's free real estate!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Does anyone know the rules on establishing a trading post? I've been pounding trade routes into Japan for two games in a row to get the Portuguese achievement but I can never seem to establish a trading post there.

As far as I know and have experienced the rule is "every time a trade route times out". I've never had one not created

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Tarquinn posted:

b) I remember buying and playing the first Civ, so many years ago. :smug: I am so old. :qq:

I'm not old enough to remember us getting Civ, we've had it for as long as i knew what a computer was.

What I do remember is us getting Civ 2, in a double-pack with Command and Conquer, and just being blown away by the graphics in both.

I've bought every civ on release since, and put way too many hours into each one. Truly my longest relationship, after my family I guess.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I really like the idea of policy cards, but the implementation is messy. There are too many and most do too little. You have too many slots. Getting a "better in every way" upgraded policy card should not unslot the one it replaced, it should just automatically replace it. Free changes are too common and the cost of changing when not free is too cheap.

My idea for a redesign would be: throw out at least half of the cards. Reduce governments to like, 4-5 slots tops? Maybe "one card of each type" is more of an endgame government. Or give all governments one of each plus a wildcard, but have them increase/decrease the effect of some of the types, instead of granting more slots. Restrict free changing of cards to only on government change, and replacing actually obsolete cards. Make the cost of changing them when not free matter, perhaps anarchy?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Policy cards should only be changeable with government reformation, except when getting new slots/old ones being deprecated. Strict upgrades should be automatic.

Relatedly, changing government type should probably be a bigger decision than it is currently.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I like some of the ideas and goals behind districts, but think they missed the mark a bit in execution.

My understanding, at least, is that the goal was to unstack cities somewhat, in the same way they had previously unstacked units. The districts taking up map space, and caring where on the map they were placed, incentivizes some specialization of cities, where previously every city settled would instabuy the same buildings as every other settled city, basically. The districts not being purchasable, by default, also slows down the establishment and growth of cities a bit, and makes production matter more compared to say gold when not building wonders.

Wonders taking space had many of the same motivations, making it so you couldn't just shove them all in the same city.

Unfortunately, the actual execution has, to me, greatly devalued many wonders, as the same bonus in VI as in V simply isn't worth giving up a tile sometimes, and the limit on how many you can put in the same city means you miss out on many more of them, as your high-production cities get filled up and you have to try building them elsewhere.

My vision for "districts, but less bad" would be having waay fewer types of district, just the really specific ones like space centers and uniques, and replace all the standard districts with just neighbourhoods, that provide housing and generic building slots. So to keep growing your city, you have to sacrifice some natural resources to expand the room the city has, but you don't dedicate an entire hex to just one thing. Basically drop the specialization but keep some unstacking.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Tom Tucker posted:

Also from a gameplay perspective I get it but there’s zero reason campuses should have adjacency to mountains hot springs or reefs. Campus output should be contingent on buildings happiness and economic output sorry.

This is a thing that gets weird over time. For your "just learned to build a hut"-civilization, nearby nature-stuff seems highly relevant to science. For your fifteenth megacity, not so much.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

The deeper I get, the stupider 6 gets.

This appears to be all of the "appears as a lake" natural wonders.

Apparently it's a lake with freshwater in rise and fall, but coast without in gathering storm. :shrug:

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I've really been feeling burned out on civ vi recently, but am still craving this type of game. Does anyone have good things to say about the more recent similar games? Humankind, old world, millennium etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Kanfy posted:

From a while back, but our desyncs largely went away when we switched hosts to the person with the slowest CPU after it was recommended in some steam guide or another.

Yeah this has been our experience as well. Intuitively I expected the other way around, with the host computer having more work to do, but apparently not.

Unfortunately the AI turns are about thrice the length this way.