Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Harmonia posted:

Roads will form by caravans travelling trade routes
Engineer may build roads for your soldiers

This is going to be amazing for MP games. "Why the gently caress are you trading with me, dude? I've got like 8 composite bows, seriously, gently caress off."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

RagnarokAngel posted:

Reminder than you could create the Internet without computers.

Hell, you still can.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean America has existed for longer than Germany's modern incarnation.

Well hell, Australia has existed for longer than the People's Republic of China.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kumaton posted:

They should do what they do with India and have a spiritual/social figurehead be the Civ's leader instead of an actual head of state. My vote is for Martin Luther King for America.

What if he forward-settled me? I don't know how I'd deal with it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There are no essential mods, the game is fun and playable as-is. There are some pretty good ones, though.

In terms of big mods, No Quitters and the Community Balance Patch are the two big ones right now. NQMod is focused on multiplayer. It basically just changes balance, making the social trees all equally good, improving the crap civs and nerfing the OP ones, and removing things the mod creators consider unbalanced (like Venice, or the first of the two types of nuke). I can't go back to vanilla multiplayer. I've never tried it singleplayer; I guess it would make it a bit harder, since the AIs won't kneecap themselves by opening with Piety or whatever.

The CBP has been discussed over the past couple pages, which is good because I've never tried it. As far as I can tell it's focused on the simulation/roleplaying aspects of the game, as opposed to NQ's pure boardgame balance focus. It changes a lot of the mechanics fundamentally.

IMO the only mod to balance the civs perfectly is Goldprime++

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Earlier I was thinking this means an end to landlocked maps, but I guess the algorithm could designate areas (divided by mountains, rivers, deserts, dense jungle) as "continents", as with Europe and Asia. Don't know how Vicky would cope with that but w/e. Some AIs just don't play as well as others. In Civ V I've seen Wu Zetian go big only once; every other time, she seems to die or get reduced to a rump state early.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The references to changing government types and legacy bonuses makes me wonder if that'll be Trajan's deal. I mean, I know he was a conqueror and all, but it would be cool to get a Rome that focused on its long-term stability or flexibility, rather than war. Maybe get a more conventional war-leader later.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think a civ that can use tiles that are garbage for everyone else would be kind of weird, in that they would not even be competing with the other civs for land in the conventional way. OTOH, these games have never been particularly worried about balance, so what the hell.

gently caress round maps. Flat maps were good enough for actual human history, they're good enough for my pretend one.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Both those abilities sound great in the early-game, merely okay in the late-game. Still, those tend to be the best types of bonuses in this sort of game.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think they were talking about Septimus Severus.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Red Bones posted:

Won't more alternate leaders mean less individual civs, when development time/costs are considered? That's kind of a shame, especially given how much of the release lineup is European anyway, but I guess it leaves their options open to do either. I wonder if it'd be possible to put in a Civ that changes leaders, like a China that goes from dynasty to dynasty when specific criteria are met.

Well the base game appears to have just as many civs as V did on release (plus 2 alternate rulers), and while creating a new leader isn't nothing, it's less demanding than creating a new civ. I'm optimistic, I guess.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Civilization VI: I Get A Little Bit Tomyris

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah I had a game with NQ mod where I decided to cheese it and play as Kamehameha on a terra map, settling in the "Americas" while everyone else hosed around in the old world. Harun created Islam on, like, turn 35, and by the time I made contact with them he had completely covered the old world with it. It was dominant in the other player's holy cities, EVERYWHERE. He sent two prophets and about a million missionaries to my continent, and I wasn't able to restore my rightful dominance of it until I declared war on him and just killed everything he sent. I kept the war going the entire game, just to keep him out.

In spite of sending two prophets my way and using an unknown number on his own continent, he had about 8 holy sites around his capital. It was still only size 13 when I nuked it. He had one other city of similar size for most of the game, and a lovely coastal town he founded in like 1900. I reckon there should be a mechanic where if you promise not to convert a player's people and then do it anyway, you (or the person who coded your AI) should die in real life.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Seeing as there's now a Religious Victory, it's kind of strange there's a faction who straight-up can't get it. Though, from what I've heard the religious victory is hard as hell anyway.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That anecdote is turning into the Games equivalent of the "then everyone in the theatre stood up and clapped" story.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm pretty sure it was. None of the mechanics, scenarios, or factions of BNW relied on religion/spying.

I've literally never heard of anyone playing the second without the first, though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Harold Hardrada gets "Thunderbolt of the north". His naval melee units can perform coastal raids, a sort of unique ranged pillaging action (the video depicts him raiding a science district for beakers, which I guess is the normal pillage yield). His unique unit is the Longship, a naval melee unit (so it gets the coastal raid too) that can heal in neutral waters.

Norway in general gets the old Polynesia bonus: once they research Shipbuilding, all units can traverse deep ocean. Also, there is no movement cost to embark/disembark. It gets a unique unit in the Berserker, who has their pillaging movement cost reduced by one, as well as an attacking bonus and a defending malus. Finally the can build a special temple that increases the faith districts adjacency bonus for forests, which IIRC is the weakest bonus for that district.

So: they can get a decent amount of faith from otherwise marginal lands, and expand across oceans earlier than other factions. Harald personally is a naval terror.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's nothing on Well of Souls about it, but I remember from somewhere that housing is a soft cap.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I haven't had a chance to look at the video yet. How do legions build roads? One tile at a time? Isn't that really powerful, given that no other faction can build roads without trade routes?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I can't watch right now, what exactly does the thermonuke do?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Marb and Quill are great.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK2X3IxUfLY

Marbozir goes through the whole tech tree.

Some points:
The Great People game seems way more involved.
The Venetian Arsenal gives you a free naval unit whenever you make a naval unit.
The Science Victory is now to establish a colony on Mars, which is the result of completing these three projects.
The Replaceable Parts tech (unlocks Infantry) gives every farm +1 food for EACH adjacent farm.
Modern artillery has range 2, but if you keep an observation balloon nearby it can increase their range to 3. Rocket artillery has range 3.
Crossbowmen upgrade into the Field Cannon, which has ranged strength; actual siege units have "bombard strength" instead.
All units have a set upkeep cost (nukes cost like 16gpt).
You can build seaside resorts to produce tourism.
Forts give units 2 extra turn's worth of fortification, whatever that means.
AT guns now upgrade into bazookas; light cavalry upgrade into helicopters; modern armour requires uranium.
Factories no longer require coal.
Big Ben doubles your existing treasury.

Also it appears that nuke video lied, certain units like the battleship CAN defend against nukes.

ed.:
The Civil Engineering civic lets you build farms on hill-plains and hill-grasslands.
Privateers are invisible unless adjacent (I think they upgrade to subs?) and can coastal-raid.
Planting forests is back in. The game distinguishes between old-growth and second-growth forests in terms of Appeal.
There's a civic that gives you +50 gold whenever you turn a farm into a neighbourhood.
There's a shitload of really cool Casus belli that come into/out of effect over the game. Colonial War lets you declare on any civ 2 tech-eras behind; Crusade declares on any prick you dares to convert one of your citizens; the late game has "War of Territorial Expansion" which is basically anyone with too much border. The general effect is to reduce warmonger penalties by 50% (Territorial Expansion only reduces by 25%).
Communists can get 0 war weariness from war within their territory.
There's a Shipwreck resource in the late game.
One of the last policies you can unlock is ecommerce: +5 production and +10 gold from each international trade route.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 30, 2016

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

John F Bennett posted:

Just that? So if you have 10 gold you now have 20?

I too was hoping for some kind of nuclear attack mechanism. For instance, if the enemy launches, the game will pause and other players are only able to launch nukes themselves. If they have a detection system in place.

Big Ben (and almost everything else I mention) has a couple of other effects, I'm just picking out the best bits.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just from watching preview stuff, I already hate Philip.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Roland Jones posted:

Man, where were you back when I was reading the Civ:BE thread? The constant talk about SMAC and complaints that the game wasn't another SMAC, well before the game was even out, made it insufferable and led to me eventually giving up on reading it entirely (leading to me missing the discovery of the actual issues the game had). Someone going "guys, SMAC wasn't that great" would have made it so much more bearable.

Civ VI is looking pretty good, though. What are some good deals for getting it? Need to save money so if I do decide to get it now I could use any discount available.

GMG and Bundlestars both have it discounted. Both are fairly reputable (GMG moreso).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Play as the Aztecs (or Germany) on a tilted axis map with raging barbs, and once your position is consolidated send raiding parties into the endless north to make culture/armies.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've got an idea for a mod for Civ VI: replace the dragons and sea-serpents on the empty parts of the map with mythical creatures appropriate to your faction.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I'm going to play Scythia a lot so I can drown every other civilization in a tidal wave of horsemen and tanks.

I didn't think about it before, but I'm pretty sure their 2 for 1 deal extends to the end of the Light Cavalry line: helicopters.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Eiba posted:

Which brings me to another crazy-fun sounding Civilization: Germany. They get an extra district as their ability... plus the Hansa, a cheap industrial zone they can spam in every city. So all their cities end up with two extra districts, and one of those will be the cheap industrial district that they can use to build all the rest. The only thing that's not perfect is Barbarossa. Who needs combat bonuses against city states? The extra military policy is kind of nice though, as there are some of those that give a bit of an economic bonus too, like reducing unit maintenance. Also, submarines don't seem like the most impressive unique unit.

I really hope Germany gets another leader with a better bonus.

I agree, with the right leader there's no telling what Germany might accomplish.

Seriously though, I'm excited to see Gorgo. Greece seems alright as a flexible faction with a nice early UU, I'd like to see a more warry leader ability.

I'm probably going to roll for my first game (and reroll if I don't like them).

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 4, 2016

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Stolen from reddit: Levi Strauss is a Great Merchant in VI, and generates two copies of the unique "jeans" luxury resource.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They've indicated that nukes need a bomber unit to drop them, which can be killed like any bomber. Thermonukes can't be shot down; you need to be extremely on the ball regarding subs and silos to keep those off.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The icon below is the Mars colony part it unlocks, which probably gets a tooltip.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to tell you the second effect of the tech: +1 production to pastures. Granted, it's insanely late for such a mild bonus (1 step before Future Tech), but they don't seem to do that for the earlier techs either.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Rexides posted:

I could never tell plains from grassland apart. That's literally my only gripe with V.

Are you maybe colourblind? Like I'm not trying to be a smartass about it, but they're fairly different colours, to me at least.

I have a few objections to graphical stuff in V. Hills are sometimes non-obvious, some natural wonders don't stand out enough (and their unique icons only appear on the turn they're discovered for some reason), you can't tell what's under jungle. Also roads in general, but that's been discussed to death.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Perfidious ALbion.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That's a shame, I guess I'll never, ever play as Pericles.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Farms get food for adjacent farms. Petra gives +2 food, +2 gold, +1 production on desert tiles. Chichen Itza gives +2 culture and +1 production on jungle tiles.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They could do the Statue of Liberty, though I understand why they might be reluctant after all the BS over de Medici.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I remember they mentioned that an encampment can hold a stables OR a barracks. Are there any other building dilemmas, that people know of?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So the game mechanics encourage the English to plunder ancient treasures instead of making art? Hahah, that's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The common wisdom is that VPNing to get another region's price will be punished, while VPNing to get a game a couple hours early is fine (and very popular).