Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Has there been any buzz about who else gets second leaders? On one video the devs said 'some' civs get one rather than everyone.
No others at launch, but we've seen Isabella for Spain in that portait list from months back, so she'll be in fairly soon I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

I heard building naval units no longer requires a city to be located next to the ocean; confirm deny? Do all naval units now require a shipyward/harbor(?) district, or does possessing one just circumvent the existing requirement (the city being built next to the ocean) for building a naval unit?
The latter. So getting an early coastal city is the only way to get early naval units (and gives you access to some eurekas), but later on you can build a harbor in any city that's within 3 tiles of a coast to be able to build naval units and do naval trade routes.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 16, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I wouldn't believe any numbers that don't come from 2K directly. Amazon doesn't know any more than we do. If I had to guess I'd bet on something very similar to XCOM 2:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

So if you're willing to do the vpn activation rigmarole you can start playing noon thursday est.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

We know what the presumable first post-release stuff will be based on that board- Poland led by Jadwiga and Isabella for Spain. I wouldn't be surprised if a new civ, a new leader, and some kind of scenario is a dlc pack.
Poland was also prominently featured in the launch trailer.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

The thing I'm most excited about is building districts as efficiently as possible, does any particular Civ focus more on that aspect of the game than the others?
Free Imperial Cities (Germany): Can build one more District than the population limit would normally allow.
Meiji Restoration (Japan): All districts receive an additional standard adjacency bonus for being adjacent to another district.
Amazon (Brazil): Rainforest tiles provide +1 adjacency bonus for Campus, Commercial Hub, Holy Site, and Theater Square districts. Rainforest tiles provide +1 Housing for Neighborhoods built adjacent to them.

Germany and Brazil have unique districts too, which cost less and don't count towards the normal limit.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I think every civ has a unique district that replaces one of the normal ones, doesn't count towards the district limit, and takes less production to build than the one it's replacing, no?
Nah. Every civ has a unique infrastructure, but that can be a building, improvement or district.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Using a VPN to get another country's better pricing somewhere: Oh gently caress yes, that's dealing with money and companies do not like that. Steam will drop the hammer on you.

Using a VPN to unlock a game a few hours early: Perhaps technically an issue they can get upset with you about, but no one really cares one bit. Steam gives minimal shits about the fee-fees of retail stores and even then Civ isn't the kind of game that would upset people when you release spoilers (like how Mass Effect all comes down to what color explosion you chose at the end). Besides there's the very real possibility of some guy who's on vacation or a business trip who really is in Sydney that enjoys his temporary relocation to boot up Steam and play some Civ in hotel room a bit "early".
Yea, I've done this for all of 2Ks recent releases on steam and it hasn't mattered at all.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Russia's already got a religion and they haven't even started to pump their unique district
They rushed stonehenge apparently. But yes I think Russia is really strong contender for a religious victory. They have a lot of land to themselves.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

They must have taken it from barbarians.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Brannock posted:

Holy poo poo, Greece in Renaissance already
They have a +6 bonus campus, so yea.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's not a choice I think, it's just the build they're using has a glitch on observer mode.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Maybe Einstein invents time travel instead of nukes. But I think that just leads to the plot of Red Alert.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It was an internal earlier build yea. It had other issues like invisible resources.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I think delegations count for this purpose but I'm not entirely sure. But generally the AIs agendas seem to be wonky. Phillipe complimented me for being rich and then a few turns later mocked me for being poor when I hadn't even spent any of my gold. (I assume this was his hidden agenda?)
Yea. It's in comparison so he must have found some gold or something.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

I founded my first city as England and "Scarborough Faire" started playing, one of my favorite "ancient" tunes. Great Game.
You must have missed the memo on the music- instead of war/peace variations on a melody, there's now four era-specific arrangements, with increasing complexity as you progress.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

wait what

what does spamming builders on districts do
Aztecs can use builder charges to rush districts, like the chinese can with wonders.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's a bit weirdly worded. It's that any tile within 3 squares of your cities that a trader moves into becomes yours. You don't instantly get every tile. It's still very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

crazy how all the best quotes in a sid meier game were the alpha centauri ones which I assume were all made up by one person
Brian Reynolds studied philosophy prior to game design and it shows.