Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Speedball posted:

Sometimes fresh water is called "sweet" water. It's archaic but it exists.

The Human Crouton posted:

I looked that up, and learned something today. Pretty cool.

"Fresh water" is basically "pineapple" all over again as nearly every European language that isn't English calls it "sweet water" instead, so they probably just typed that out of habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

As someone who mostly played multiplayer, my favorite technology quote was probably "You have discovered Fertilizer", although "You have discovered Ecology" and "You have discovered Metallurgy" really made me see things in a new light as well.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I barely remember what the graphics of Civ V looked like because 98% of the time I spent playing it was in strategic view. Initially because otherwise the game ran like rear end on my computer, but I got so used to it that even after upgrading, the normal view looked super messy in comparison.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

My problem with V's difficulty levels was the gap between Emperor and Immortal. Once you got good at the game, Emperor stopped being challenging but on Immortal it became hard to play "naturally" if you wanted to actually win.

A difficulty level somewhere between those two would've been perfect.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

There's not a thing in the world that someone isn't going to complain about on the internet, who the heck cares?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I'm actually getting pretty stoked about next Friday. My expectations are still quite tempered but I am really looking forward to playing with the district and civics system. I am cautiously optimistic that this will be fun and good on release.

I expect it to be buggy, poorly balanced and with a half-crippled AI but I'll play it anyway.

Do we know if diplomacy with the AI will, well, exist in multiplayer this time around? They fixed most of the major issues about Civ V multiplayer over time, but not the part where the AIs never contacted the player(s) about anything which is kind of a major aspect of the game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I've long since learned not to pay any kind of attention to how accurately Civilization represents the real world.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Speaking of, I had forgotten about a lot of cool Civ V tracks until I played it again recently. Field of Poppies for example is one of my favorite Civ war themes for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8WEaGSSd58

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

They weren't there in vanilla Civ IV but they added a bunch of III tracks in the Warlords expansion.

E:

They should bring back the Warlords theme somewhere in VI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9PoUBewOAg

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 14, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I paid $120 to buy the deluxe edition of this game here in Australia. I still wouldn't jump through hoops to get a discount as some weirdo online store.

I mean, if you have that kind of money to burn on individual video games then that goes without saying but a lot of people want to save where they can.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Hogama posted:

In addition to the Battle Royale later today (in a little over 3 and half hours), we're actually getting one very last devstream tomorrow-

As crippled as it was, especially at release, probably 900 of the 1000 hours I put into Civ V were still in multiplayer so I sincerely hope they get it right this time around. Them leaving it this hilariously late is a tad worrisome though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Wow you must have played almost three whole games!

Eh, they were mostly with 2 players so turns weren't that long, although 99% of them were also on Marathon.

Also you joke, but three is a fairly accurate estimation of how many games we actually saw all the way to the victory screen over the years.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I was expecting the game to be poorly balanced and with bad AI but I'm still a little disappointed that it's looking more and more likely to be true. As someone who likes slower games and thought the endgame went too fast even on Marathon in V, the overly fast tech advancement is especially unfortunate.

Also, I wonder if the Eureka bonuses and the bad AI are gonna compound V's difficulty level problem even further. Namely that on lower difficulties you can walk all over the AI because they don't know what they're doing but on higher difficulties it'll be all but impossible to keep up with them in tech because of their bonuses to everything allowing them to also get the Eureka bonuses faster, constantly putting them even further ahead.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It's not even true, plenty of (or even most) games ship in a perfectly fine condition these days and plenty of games didn't do so even back in the day. Plus there are degrees of "incompleteness" and how much they affect the overall quality.

Of course, games with many moving parts like 4X games or large RPGs tend to more often release in worse condition. But again, just how bad the condition is makes all the difference, and that we'll see soon enough.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

SlothBear posted:

The soundtracks are incredible and apparently are unique per civ (don't think per leader) and will change as you go through the ages? I want to play each civ just to listen to their music now.

Like having multiple leaders, it's a feature that was in IV but not in V.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Whole lotta AI:s declaring war and soon after offering money in a peace deal without even pretending to threaten my cities. If you people want to give me your gold then just send it directly without the war declaration nonsense. :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

First game, first win. :smug:

Wonder how high I rank--

Ah.

All in all, I went into Civ VI with fairly low expectations but so far it's... surprisingly good? There are definitely several issues but most of them are on the "This can be fixed in a patch" -level rather than the "This is fundamentally broken" -level. The AI is as expected the weakest link, but it's not as crippled as I feared it would be and it's definitely better than V's was at launch. The UI definitely ain't great either, hopefully it'll get some polish over time. Haven't tested multiplayer yet.

Once the roughest edges get smoothed out and especially once the meatier patches and DLCs come out, it definitely has the potential to be the best Civ so far.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

I'm already getting really tired of hearing Sean Bean talk about taking upright steps.

I'll never get tired of hearing Sean Bean talk about anything.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Henker posted:

So does this game have borderless windowed mode? One of my main complaints about Civ V/BE.

Yeah, it does.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Taear posted:

How does my city shoot, then? I can't find the option at all.

You gotta build walls first.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Taear posted:

Sorry, seven.

So now my holy city has been converted and only has 2 followers of my original religion what the gently caress do I do to get it back? This seems sort of crazy.

To my knowledge there are no "holy cities" in VI, if you can't hold on to your religion and nobody else will spread it either then as far as I can tell it's gone for good. Always keep some inquisitors handy for a rainy day.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

holy poo poo turns are taking forever (10 players, ssd, turn 400)

I haven't noticed turns being particularly long myself and I've no SSD. Make sure you have quick movement and quick combat enabled.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Balancing tall and wide is a real hard thing to do in these games but I think they've a decent foundation here if it's something they'll want to improve upon.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Staltran posted:

(Also I tried to search Civilopedia for corps, zero hits. I had to check the manual instead. Why is the civilopedia even in the game, it's useless, they should have just replaced it with a link to the manual instead.)

It's funny you'd say that, the civilopedia's problem is actually the fact that it takes much of its info directly from the manual rather than having more individual keywords. For example the info about corps/armies is in there but it's under Concepts -> Combat -> Formations as that page covers both supporting units and corps/armies. The text is pretty much directly from the manual, although many of the word choices are different (I assume the manual is the "original" version and the civilopedia version is a more recent one).

You can still find almost everything from the civilopedia, but if you're looking for explanations for game concepts you'll have better luck with finding what you need by going down the Concepts list rather than with keywords.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Specifically, it slows tourism down from relics and holy cities, as well as making your seaside resorts twice as effective. Art and other sources of tourism still work fine, and unless you're doing religious stuff relics will probably be your smallest source of tourism regardless, if you have any at all.

Given people talking about accidentally winning via culture while going for the science victory and stuff, it doesn't sound like culture's that bad yet.

Culture victory is by far the most common one going by achievements, although there isn't one for Time victory. 6.8% have achieved Culture victory, 3.1% Science victory, 2.4% Domination victory and 1.5% Religious victory. Which is pretty funny considering the tooltip for Culture victory specifically states that it's the hardest victory to achieve.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

What's the appeal of slower game speeds other than "I want this to take a week to finish"? Is there something else to it that I'm missing?

Largely that it makes decisions more meaningful, you really gotta commit to everything and losing a unit on Marathon is a much bigger deal than losing one on Quick. Plus it's very relaxing.

I only ever play these games on Epic and Marathon, even Normal has always felt so fast that I haven't enjoyed it at all.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also the AI certainly has the potential to be aggressive occasionally, I tried out an Immortal game and Kongo not only took down two city-states while still in the Ancient era, they declared war on me and took my city in two turns with four units while I was still trying to get walls up.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Comstar posted:

It is now clear this game was released unfinished, Firaxs knows how unfinished it is, and the silence is higher than NoMansSky-levels.

I can only presume that poor Sid has one of those diseases that eats away at your brain and you degenerate and don't know how much you've lost of your once greatness. ,

Were the guys from Beyond Earth responsible for these fiasco's of User Interface? Firaxs seems to have learnt every singe bad lesson from it!

Not sure if you're quoting someone (in which case source your quotes) or if you're serious but Civ VI is unpolished which is miles away from "unfinished", comparing it to No Man's Sky which released without promised features is rather silly. Pretty much every major 4X (or big RPG) game has always been rough and buggy at release and it'll never cease to be true as nice as that'd be because shipping the game is ultimately the priority and the developers are no doubt overworked as it is to get even that done.

Plus Sid Meier doesn't have any major role in developing these games, hasn't had for a while.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 24, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

While I'm here, does anyone know how Scouts actually gain XP? I built two at the start of my game and used the Double Scout XP policy for an awful long time. As they explored, one got to level 2 pretty soon while the other got 10 XP and stopped gaining any more. Later, when I could cross the ocean, I sent them both out to explore the rest of the world. They never gained any more XP.

Don't quote me on this because I'm not at all certain, but I think scouts get experience from visiting tribal villages.

Khagan posted:

For cheevo purposes I have started my King game in the Classic era. Turns out there's a different opening qoute by Sean Bean too.

Yeah, you can read them in the game setup menu by mouseovering the eras in the era selection.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I'd imagine all strategic resources are harvested automatically if there's a permanent improvement on them, similar to great person improvements in V.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah there's a couple other joke quotes in V but they're sparing and typically actually funny. It's funny how I don't know half the early wonders but know basically all of the late ones because by that time you're so far ahead you can just grab them all.

This kind of extends to the civilopedia descriptions as well, in V there were some lighthearted entries but in VI there's a whole lot of unfunny quips.

The Social Media civic page is pretty much what you'd expect:

Also it's the most minor nitpick of all, but it has "AD" after every year a lot of the time, "1978 AD" and so forth. Looks real dumb.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 24, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Wait what? Districts can impact multiple cities? I thought a city owned it and that was that?

Districts can't but some buildings can, for example a Zoo will give its amenities to all cities within 6 tiles of it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

JackDarko posted:

Multiplayer without Hot seat is hot garbage. The amount of lag and weird stuff that happens with two players attacking each other at once simultaneously blows, and the host in my game had a clear advantage every time.

Multiplayer has been surprisingly good in my opinion. I was fully prepared for it to be a laggy mess that'll take forever to reach parity with single player (which it never did in V), but aside from the very occasional desync issue we've had no issues whatsoever and it's practically on par with single player. A very positive surprise all in all.

And yeah, like someone mentioned switching turns to "Dynamic" instead of "Simultaneous" will make it so that the game becomes turn-based whenever players fight each other. It ought to be the default setting, really.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I've had really bad lag in many of the multiplayer games I've been in, I think it might be the ai animations going nuts. I've seen some of the combat animations glitch out and last like 10+ seconds.

I always make sure everyone has Quick Combat and Movement on, they make turns go way faster both in SP and MP.

I guess that can be trickier if you play with people you don't know though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

And don't even get me started on religious combat because I have absolutely no idea what determines how an attack will go other than to hope and pray that missionary doesn't eat my attacking acolyte in 1-shot. Which happened.

You can see all the factors that go into religious combat alongside the expected outcome from the combat preview just like with normal battles.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I've never seen a trade route get plundered if the trade unit wasn't physically there, I've literally had barbarian camps spawn on top of trade routes and they were fine until the trader reached that specific spot. I'm pretty sure that particular mechanic was changed from V.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The voting system in BTS was cool but it was also hilariously broken because of how easy it was to get city-states on your side.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Niwrad posted:

I feel like I'm in the minority in that I like the game and just feel it needs some tweaks to the AI and to fix some of the balance issues. Oh and making the UI not a complete disaster.

It's a very good game with a bunch of stuff that needs to be fixed (and most of it no doubt will be), it's just that people are more likely to post complaints than praises, as with everything.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Taear posted:

It wasn't in Civ5 until people complained and then it got added in. It's a strange choice not to add it for this with that fact in mind!

They were quite clearly pressed for time so a feature like that which the majority of people never do anything with was probably never a big priority. Given infinite time I'm sure the devs would've loved nothing more but to bring in as many features as possible, but being in a rush to get the game in a shippable state before the deadline shows through so clearly in VI that "They didn't have the time" is a far more likely explanation for many things than "They didn't feel like it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

As somebody who paid money for a product, I don't care what their excuse is.

Sure, I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to complain about it, but it's just being realistic. The most likely scenario is that the lack of polish and cool smaller features like that is the price that got paid for the game launching with so many different gameplay systems, and getting those done and then making sure they didn't horribly explode ate up the majority of time and effort.

They probably should've delayed the release by half a year or somesuch, but obviously with releases this major it's out of the developers' hands. Hopefully now that they're over the biggest hurdle they can spend time getting all the rough edges smoothed out.