Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I really hope for this game is that diplomacy messages don't just randomly pop up and take over your entire screen. That annoys the poo poo out of me in Civ 5. Why can't it just be an alert along with all your other alerts that you can either respond to or ignore? Especially since most AI diplomacy messages are inane bullshit like "tee hee your friends are my friends too" or "you built a city too close to the city that i built right next to your capital, rear end in a top hat"

Honestly, with the exception of a declaration of war, all diplomatic messages should just be alerts. For the 100th time; I'm not giving any of you fuckers open borders so you can settle a city in the middle of my country on the god drat worthless tundra spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Wait, someone actually liked the way religion was implemented in civ5? Even now after all the expansions and patches it feels like an after thought to me.

I still find it extremely dumb that beliefs are exclusive. Someone took the useful ones? Sell all your shrines and ignore it forever. Especially against the AI that just spams missionaries and blanket the world with them.

Honestly what I want them to do with religion probably wouldn't work very well with how they want Civ to be.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
I think we're all missing the big picture here, and that big picture is will Civ VI have a proper borderless window option?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Why can't I build pyramids in jungle? loving bullshit.

pfft who wants pyramids in the jungle. It is all about them ocean pyramids.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Auto unit cycling is extremely annoying. No game I don't want you to go half way across the map and select my settler while I'm in the middle of a god drat war. Oh look now my archer is moving away.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

Has anybody tried the feature that lets you levy units from a city state? Is it worth the effort?

Sure it is, why should I send my own soldiers into the nuclear wastelands? I'd much rather send these warriors that the city state has kept around while I'm laying waste to cities with nukes.

I wasn't paying attention and Teddy was launching things into space, but I couldn't have that happening while the divine religion of Crabs had still not spread across the entire world. So I nuked him, like 20 times, and then I used the nearest city state I had control of to capture the cities (and die to fallout).

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

It wouldn't matter because the AI would just cheat and your warmonger penalty would just go up.

Speaking of once again I see little reason to worry about warmonger penalties in mid game and later. I can only imagine it gets worse at harder difficulties too.

Like the Causus Belli system is a great idea but terrible in execution if I still can't take any loving cities.

Also I learned in my first game that despite the penalty for wiping out a civ there's literally no point in accepting any surrender. They'll just do nothing but denounce you every time they can and eventually declare requisition war on you.

Warmonger penalties are pointless, since the AI will hate you anyways. And you should always completely wipe out a Civ because they continue to make the AI messages completely annoying.

Has anyone made a mod yet to put denouncements and the other dumb messages in the bottom right notification area where they should have been by default?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

turboraton posted:

Ok guys almost a month has passed, let's be honest here. If ALL civs hate you for any reason you are just being bad. At least TWO cigs should be friendly to you in a six or more player game and more if you actually try.

I'm willing to take a challenge if anyone wants to contest that because God Damon it gets boring to read waaaah all civs hate me waaaa.

The only civ that has consistently been approving of me (as long as I don't go conquering everyone) was Rome, because they like civs with huuuuuge tracks of land. Though in my religious victory game Norway went from gently caress you to best buds and I have no idea why.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

prefect posted:

My religion-choosing strategy:

1. If you get Zoroaster, take Zoroastrianism, because it's fun to say.

2. Maybe go with something thematically appropriate, like where the color matches the civilization colors. (Zoroastrianism is purple, so it's good for Rome. I think Shinto has a blue that works for Greece.)

3. Turtleology, the religion with the cool turtle icon. (Because my Zodiac sign isn't available for some reason. :mad:)

Screw all you filthy heathens, Crabs is the one true religion! We must spread Crabs everywhere!

Also speaking of bad combat AI, has anyone ever had the AI actually use a ranged unit inside a city to defend itself? Like I could take an archer + 2 warriors to stop healing and the AI never uses the archer it has inside its own drat city to attack me.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

If they have walls they'll use the in-built defenses to attack you. They seem to have some common-sense, too: they'll fire at the catapults pounding their wall to bits, rather than some random warrior that you've just bought along to make up the numbers.

I honestly think that resetting the AI player's war algorithms to be more like the barbarian's would solve a lot of issues. I've fought several sieges against enemy cities that could have been broken if the AI had moved aggressively against my besieging units, regardless of the damage that they might suffer themselves, instead of inexplicably shuffling around a few tiles away as I methodically reduced their city.

I know they use walls to defend themselves, but that is about it.

Doing a culture victory game and I just got a warning that Germany is about to win a culture victory. They're producing 19 tourism and 16.6 culture per turn, but game seems to think that they're dominating everyone else. For comparison I have 710 tourism & 234.9 culture per turn.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Holy gently caress; there is finally an alert button.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Is there a quiet notification mod for VI yet? I never cared that the AI approved/disapproved of my actions, it isn't changing what I'm going to do. Honestly all AI interactions should be a button that I can right click away, because no China I'm not making peace if you don't give me all the cities I took from you stop asking me every 5 god drat turns. Of course Civ VI likes to make it even worse than V by having every god drat interaction take too long. If they want to waste money on pointless poo poo then waste it on a throne room and not stupid animated leaders.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

Lol at anyone who didn't immediately turn animated leaders off and just uses the stills

It still introduces a delay and it doesn't, you know, stop them from interrupting you all the time with their dumb messages. Honestly I'd take an option that just flat out removes diplomacy from the game.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

Really a great thing civ should add is disputed land and claimed land. The cultural borders poo poo can still exist as "undisputed" or whatever. It would make for a cool experience but I'm sure the AI would gently caress it up.

In any case I don't see why civs can't literally declare territory as theirs without settling it. There could be all sorts of interesting conflicts from taking unsettled land a civ claims as theirs.

Except knowing Firaxis it would end up being that all AI civs claim the entire world from turn 1 and hate you forever for stealing their land.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

beefnoodle posted:

With trade routes, is there an easy way to say "keep doing what you're doing" or do I have to think about it every time one ends?

Download a trade route mod, because Firaxis believes that clicking to renew a trade route is compelling gameplay.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Cythereal posted:

As a Florida native, I'm still holding out for the Seminole. It's past time someone in the series actually likes and benefits from marshes.

uh, didn't the Netherlands benefit from marshes in Civ 5?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Why is there not a Restart option yet that rerolls map generation, like Civ 5 had?

On top of that, why can't I save my advanced create-game options? They reset to default every time.

Do you want a restart button like in civ 5? Then download this mod, and note that you have to overwrite a file in the Civ 6 folder and not place it in the normal mod directory. *May not be updated yet for this latest patch, so I'm not 100% sure if it still works.

Also the answer to every QoL issue with Civ 6 is answered by googling Civ 6 thing you want and hoping someone made a mod for it, because Firaxis doesn't have to care since we keep giving them money anyways.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

I've generally been in favor of Civ VI's development so far, but I can safely say that the new mechanics that seem to be the selling point for this expansion aren't really resonating with me very much. Never been a fan of "%-based chance" stuff on any sort of major scale (sure, maybe a dab of it in relatively minor features like espionage, but aside from that), and I've never liked natural disasters in Civ games. I never saw much strategy in "X% chance your poo poo gets blown up". But, I'll withhold any definitive judgment until I see fully just how interactive the mechanics are.

Like, I can see some potential for either/or options when it comes to buildings in districts, like a clean power plant versus a dirty power plant, and those are very much decisions I am in favor of. I think the base game didn't have nearly enough either/or decisions when it came to building cities; with the district system it seems to me they should've embraced it. Let the old Civ strategies of "build everything in every city" and "build the same things in every city" die, have more specialization and reward the player for planning ahead.

You know how we can get a better specialized city mechanic? Use Colonization's mechanics! Have everything be actual tradeable resources, so you can have a city that is just all food production with others being focused on other things. Yeah I know, this is never going to happen.

Yeah I'm looking at this xpac and going, great more features the AI won't be able to deal with so it won't have to.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 20, 2018

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

you guys mean to tell me they made two expansions for this game and no improvements to the AI?

jesus

Didn't Firaxis say they wanted the AI to play to win the game in Civ 5 and 6? In 4 you could have actual alliances with AIs that wouldn't immediately back stab you if you got too far ahead. This makes it even worse that the AI is horrendous. I sometimes wonder if Civ 6's AI is also a performance problem because it must move every unit it has on every turn and tries to get as many units as possible.

The issue with an AI that "plays to win" is you either have to design a good AI or design a game that an AI can more easily play, Civ 5 and 6 did neither of these things and 6 made it even worse with districts and housing.

The easy solution would be to ditch their entire religion system (the AI over indexes on it) and remove ranged attacks as a concept. We know the AI does not use ranged attacks effectively and can't even use aircraft effectively. Keep the 1UPT in concept, but not in practice, by allowing you to make combined armies (e.g. Warrior + Slinger) with techs to let you make larger armies. Aircraft would be a multiplier on battles fought in their operation range, so bombers would reduce defense if you fight in range and fighers would reduce the effectiveness of bombers and other fighters.

The nuclear weapon issue is bad from a game play perspective too, because it shows the AI's complete inability to use a tool. Nuking the same city, that it can not even take, 6 times in a row is just bad. This also flies against the trying to win goal. In Civ nukes aren't even all that terrible of weapons, you already kill millions when you invade a city without nukes and fallout is only an extremely temporary issue. Trying to bring real world issues with nukes when saying the AI's use of them (or lack thereof) is a bad comparison.

If I could get an updated Civ 4 with QoL improvements I'd rather play that than 5 or 6. I really don't expect them to fix anything when they release Civ 7, because the average player doesn't care that the AI is unable to play the game.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

MH Knights posted:

Didn't realize at first how quickly you needed to be to trigger the exploit but I have it down now. Is there a way to force your turn to end? Like even it you have units that can move/act/are stacked in your city?

I think it was Shift+Enter to force end your turn.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

Maybe identity is the wrong word, but with Civ 6 there is a lot of strategy about which district you place where and why, making each city very much their own thing. Trying to maximize your adjacency bonuses, especially for your initial core, makes for a fun challenge.

But yes, once your plan has taken off, every new city you plant down (usually for a strategic or luxury resource) will wind up kind of blah.

Fired up a Korea game on King on the Terra map and I've had fun with it. I did save scum a little at the beginning to figure out if there was a way to avoid having Montezuma roll one of my early cities. Turned out I just needed to ask him to be my friend. A lesson for us all.

I too find Montezuma much easier to deal with when I ask him to be my friend... via a letter, delivered by many nuclear weapons because I don’t want it to be lost.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Serephina posted:

I've not played any Civ6 for a while now, and something about that screenshot was bothering me. Just looking at all the pretty yeild icons made me yearn for a game, but something about the minimap and the city placement on the world was wrong, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Maybe something that Rise&Fall or Gathering Storm added? ...It took me at least 30 seconds of staring before I realized what an idiot I am.

Don’t worry, give it enough time and you’ll instantly be able to see how absolutely disgusting images like this are. The Pretty Border Faction disapproves of such monstrosity.

I’ve played enough Civ to instantly recognize it, but the lack of districts and a worker unit are also a big hint.

Thinking about districts, I would like to see it done with a “bigger” map. That is, in civ vi split each hex into 6 smaller hexes but still have the cities themselves take up the original space. Districts (and units) would then only use one of the smaller hexes.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

I had 6 on the brain and now my mistake will live forever, thanks. :derp:

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is there a humankind thread? Looked at several pages and didn't see one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896939

Really isn’t much to discuss about it right now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Dpulex posted:

It's baffling that someone, a professional who was paid money and understands the game, thought this would be a well balanced and reasonable addition.

I really have to question that part of your statement. Half the time I'm not even sure the developers even play the game, see how long it took to add a production queue. Or the annoyance that is the AI pestering you with pointless statements or worthless trade deals in full screen.