Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Good spies can steal art for you.

But yeah- themes aren't really something you plan for, just a lucky thing that happens. You can play it a bit with Patronage, but it's still pretty random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Tatum Girlparts posted:

My only problem is...well they didn't really do that for EVERYONE. No one really is unplayable, but stuff like America, I got no loving clue what I'm supposed to do with that for most of the game.

Use the +5 strength bonus on your home continent to Manifest Destiny every other civ and City State on your home continent, then do whatever you want.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

For people who like focused on building big and awesome cities, and either hate war or just hate-war-because-AI, the Australia scenario is actually pretty awesome.

* No combat, no real competition - the AI plops a few cities down at first to claim some areas, but they don't really do much, so it's entirely on whether you can puzzle out how to build an empire that hits an income threshold.

* No settler building - you get them from certain techs. So it's less about ICS and more about doing the best you can with 8 cities.

* It's 60 turns long, so it's designed to be quick.

* The outline of Australia is the same, but the interior is random each time.

I've been playing it all day, and I'm definitely glad I dropped the :fivebucks: on it. I still haven't won on King difficulty, but I can regularly hit Prince.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nah, people just want an AI that poses a respectable challenge in war and does not acts like a complete lunatic in diplomacy

Civ 4 manages that, I think. Civ 5, kinda of: its weak at war but not harmless, and in diplo is kinda reasonable enough

I want an AI that challenges me, but not one that fucks with me.

AIs producing more science and culture than I am one hundred turns into the game challenge me, and push me to play better and more.

Pericles showing up with six warriors outside my city for a turn 30 'surprise war' just makes me play other games instead.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Magil Zeal posted:

I've updated my Wondrous Wonders mod to Rise and Fall. I was somewhat unimpressed with the original Statue of Liberty bonus, so I gave my own take on it, among other things. I left some of the Wonders alone though, I think Firaxis did a better job of making some of the Wonders more desirable this time around. They've been getting better about it, at least.

The new ones seem niche, but super-good if you're in that niche. I'm now spending time seeing if I can optimize Temple of Artemis with each start, because +1 Amenity from every plantation, farm, and camp in a 4-tile radius feels like it just solves Amenities until the end game.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

My inner 11-year-old is never going to let the Cree live down that they named one of their cities this

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Also, buy the Australia pack for the scenario in it, which has such a different set of rules and objectives it’s like a completely different puzzle-game of its own

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Meridian posted:

So being relatively new to the Civ games, I am torn between putting my time into five or six. Hell even four seems really cool too. I'd like to eventually get good at them, so picking one to learn first seems like the best idea.

We still making GBS threads on six right now, or have people come around on it?

People are still making GBS threads on six, but they’re also going to poo poo on seven, eight, and nine because this forum is filled with miserable assholes who like to complain

Six is the easiest to get in to in terms of having things well explained and clear, and having an AI that is easy to ignore unless you really gently caress up, and has the most variety between civs and approaches.

Four is probably the best overall system and mechanics, but it’s not as obvious and takes time to get good at. There also isn’t nearly as much variety between civs and the game is mostly the same approach each time.

Five is all of the “not quite as deep” of 6 with all of the “play the same way each time” of 4.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Just finished a game as Inca and agree that Inca are way good and climate change drops off a cliff real quick- just about the time I got techs to switch away from coal, we hit the first sea level rise and were only a few turns away from the second, though those were the first two levels so maybe even worse stuff happens later

I’m also amused that armies and corps still only take 1 one whatever resource the unit takes. Given how little oil and aluminum is in the game, it definitely seems like it’s pushing you to have a small but focused force

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Incas are pretty awesomely broken too. Bonus food and productions on hills, start next to hills, congrats on your pop 5 city popping out settlers in 4 turns by 2700BC.

Sucks that your mountain start often blocks you from other terrain OH NO WAIT IT ACTUALLY LETS YOU TELEPORT

It’s the first game where I ignored my normal opening build queue to put out a worker, because getting +3food/+1prod on three 1food/2prod hills oh my gosh

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

As someone who really likes figuring out in advance where I'm going to put down all my districts and wonders for the most potential, the new map pins are absolutely outstanding.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mayveena posted:

Which are the 'best' civs?

IMO:

Map type dependent:
* Incas have a huge food bonus to hills next to mountains that they get from the start, which gives them a huge population and production jump start on any non-island, non-flat map
* Indonesia gets faith for coast civs and bonuses for districts next to water, which gives them a huge bonus on maps with lots of water

Domination dependent:
* Nubia gets amazing archers for early destruction
* Aztecs get amazing early warriors for quick rush which might spawn workers
* America gets +5 to strength on its starting continent, making early conquest easier
* Germany gets +50% against City States, making early CS grabbing easier; they also get huge production bonuses with cheap industrial districts that don't count to the district limit

Culture dependent:
* Eleanor gets huge cultural bonuses and is great at flipping cities if you focus on culture

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GaktwHjp4dg

Industrial Brazil theme should be the soundtrack for a Pixar trailer or the opening to a Jack Lemmon movie from 1965.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 10, 2019

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It’s somewhere in there, but I don’t remember where. But a national park is:

*A four-hex diamond, formed with the bottom space where the naturalist is
* All four hexes must be tiled within the same city’s working area (which may mean having to swap tiles around in the city worker screen)
* All four hexes must be clear of districts/improvements/Wonders
* All four hexes must be mountains, Natural Wonders, or Appeal Charming or better

Edit: And the naturalist forms them from the bottom hex of the diamond only

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Threw a bunch of Voidspeaker cultists at my neighbor and got his capital to flip over to me

Burned out so many cultists that I got twenty new relics, all of which went into the Old God Monuments. The sound effect is neat - it’s the standard religious trill but it goes off-key and minor at the end

The relics all have new names, like “Horn of Dagon”, “The Left Hans Sutra”, and “Civilization II Hint Manual”

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

If you put a city to 0 loyalty with cultists but they have a positive loyalty growth rate, will that city flip the next turn or will it gain it's loyalty rate first?

It should fall into chaos the next turn, but it might need two turns in a row with 0 loyalty before it does that (which just means another turn of hitting it) - just getting it to 0 didn't seem to always work, but I wasn't watching the numbers as carefully as I should have.

Two notes on rebel cities: first, you can keep hitting them for loyalty as well (though weirdly they're much more diligent about killing your cultists if you leave them undefended) to shorten the time to falling to you; and second, multiple rebel cities provide loyalty to each other! Which means you have to be a little careful about hitting a bunch of cities at the same time, or you'll create a rebel bloc that takes a lot of work to pull to you.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

jojoinnit posted:

I just picked this up again for the first time in forever. Started a new quick game and I'm completely landlocked for the first half. This of course means Harold is denouncing me for having a weak navy every few turns. :allears:

And I just met Philip. He offers a trade deal where he gives me gold and open borders for my gypsum. I decide to get more and offer him open borders. He instantly can't accept it. Like what? I didn't ask for more from you yet, I merely offered you more! Is this a bug or a feature?

Anyway, I still enjoy it. Probably should get some expansions already.

E: lmao, I decide to rejigger the deal and ask him to make it equitable. It changes to him wanting gypsum, gold per turn and one time gold in exchange for the open borders he initially offered me for just my gypsum along with gold. I'd love to see the negotiations code for this cause drat this is like someone at the negotiating table from a kids movie where the joke is that they don't understand the word.

Open borders with someone means that your culture affects them more, so it’s not actually a straight benefit like it is in other civs.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I updated, then there was a second update and I was able to launch... but no new leaders/modes yet? :/

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Same!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

New video is out! New update is coming on the 22nd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6vS5K9GnB0

New scenario - Sid Meier's Civilization's PIRATES!

edit:

Other changes -
* "Recruit Partisans" mission nerfed
* Cost of buying votes increases with time
* AI balance changes
* Gran Colombia getting "changed", which probably means nerfed

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 13, 2020

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Nosre posted:

Definitely the hardest learning curve for me so far, keeping in mind all the district restrictions and interactions. In fact, I've got an example from my game right now.

This area suggests some crazy industrial zones with the triple Horses and all the rivers (dam and aquaduct possibilities), but given the city state closeness and being Maori (can't remove the bonus resources), it's quite a puzzle.

How did I do on this potential layout?

Very nice!

A couple of thoughts:

* The southern city is going to have food issues. At best it only has one tile that naturally produces more than 2 food. You might be better off not having the aqueduct and not building it’s industrial site so you can get more irrigation in. Otherwise, plan on using trade routes and a lot of builders to keep that city growing.

* Explore that area north of your eastern city site! You might consider setting that city in the unexplored area - you don’t need to settle on the lakeside since you’re already planning an aqueduct.

* Overall I honestly think you’re better off moving the southern city to northeast of its aqueduct and having that north-eastern city move up north into the mountains. That gives the southern city more space and more expansion into good farmland/production land - if it owns the three horse site, it’ll be a production monster even before the industrial center gets built.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 15, 2020

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Rimusutera is absolutely right. Korea’s +4 also assumes you can put it on a hill adjacent to no other district, so it often ends up only being a +3 a lot of the time.

Three other sleeper powers on science:

Indonesia starts on the coast, and coast spaces provide .5 adjacency bonuses to the Campus and the Industrial Center. Likewise, reefs give +2 adjacency for Campuses, so a +3 Campus isn’t hard to get.

Inca starts in mountains, meaning it’s not too hard to get a good campus going, and terrace farms will have both production and population running high.

Brazil starts in jungles, and gets +1 science adjacency for jungles, meaning good +3/4 campuses aren’t that hard. More importantly, they get cheaper Great People, and Great Scientists will help your science production and later ones give bonuses for Space Project completion.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The Human Crouton posted:

Oh, that's why the best board game company ever turned to poo poo one day.

I know people who worked for them back in the day, and while this was the straw that broke the camel’s back, they were up poo poo creek financially for a while before then. They had heavily invested in computerized board games in the ‘80s but didn’t actually hire competent programmers, so most of their computer games were abysmal failures. They also chased RPGs, but mostly in the late 80s when the market was getting over saturated. The early 90s recession hurt them badly, and they were only just starting to get their act together with a good series of computer game releases (Kingmaker/1830/AdvCiv) when this lawsuit broke them.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The Human Crouton posted:

Can't get them into Diplomacy though. I've owned Diplomacy for 15 years, and still have not been able to get any group to play a single game with me.

That’s probably why they’re still your friends.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

That Grove district sounds perfect for making some of the Natural Wonders even more insane, I love it.

I'm also intrigued to find out if it makes Ley Lines better as well, or gets any good effects from Ley Lines.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Also also! Each archeological expedition gives you an era point, so again, if you’re pushing wonders and people you should push great artists because you’ll usually be good for era points; if you’re not, or running behind, push archeology to stay out of dark ages.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Stefan Prodan posted:

iirc stone is also generally chopped unless it's your very first quarry for the eureka, same with deer unless you need camps for something like temple of artemis or whatever

Quarries are a little more dicey these days as they give a +1 adjacency to Industrial Districts (and mines only give 1/2) so make sure you’re not putting that next to the quarry before you clear it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Oh, yeah, preserves are super massive for Inca when you've got good mountains anyways.

Geez, now I'm thinking about playing another Inca game just to roll through it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hitler posted:

Aweome, I have my neighbor's capital under siege, got my bombards in position around it and then blizzards pops up and destroys half of my army in 2 turns cause the terrain is too hilly to move them out of the path

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Judgy Fucker posted:

Were vassal states in vanilla Civ IV? I don't recall. Whenever vassal states and colonial independence were put in was when Civ IV was completed.

No, they didn’t come in until the second expansion, Beyond The Sword, which was the one that turned general thought on the game from “eh I guess this is okay” to “wow this is great”

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Serephina posted:

Terra Mystica, apparently.

Slight derail: Terra Mystica the board game is good, but the author also made Gaia Project which has a lot of the same core concepts but more improved gameplay in general; a lot of my board gaming friends dropped Terra Mystica for Gaia Project as “same game but better”

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

LonsomeSon posted:

That stream before BE’s launch when the player got the Explorer immunity Affinity bonus and then stacked all his units with Explorers to make them immune to alien melee attacks, while two of the chief devs looked on thinking “gently caress how did we not predict this”

That the expansion was “hard choices in which one of these three trees to advance on” where anyone who had played a 4x game before had no problem getting up all three trees

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Angry at the survey because after it let me tell it I’m a fan of Stardew Valley it didn’t give me a textbox to pitch them on the idea of Civilization Moon: Friends Of Industrial District

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

From what I've heard, they're definitely working on Civ VII but the global pandemic did a number on their early schedules and team so there's no current forecast on when it'll be ready