Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Phobophilia posted:

people were making "dumbed down" snipes at Civ5 for its gameplay mechanics back ago, and now people are looking at only the graphics to make such a snap judgement?

Those were just regular 9-year-olds or retarded 14-year-olds who refused to realize that the base sequel to their game can't have all of the features their 5 year strong game had (which also was watered down in the first iteration).

I was never one of those people, but I worry about these graphics. I'm hoping they chose them because there is no efficient way to improve on V graphics without current players getting hefty machines: so they went the fanciful route instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I remember tons of complaints about religion not being in V despite it being in Civ for like ever, when religion was only introduced in IV unless you count fanaticism government in former versions.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Aerdan posted:

Or, um, perhaps they simply wanted to go for a particular effect and had a hard time getting that effect with realistic graphics. Y'know. Like they outright stated when they were talking about their choices in art direction.

Um totally. Fer sure.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Why don't they bring back Baba Yetu? Opening Civ 4 for the first time made me feel awesome and ready to forge a civilizatuon in my image.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering things, but I feel like they kinda solved this in IV or III by giving a few Civs that didn't really have any real-world modern equivalents or whatever imaginary unique units to compensate.

It was a cool idea so you didn't end up with Civs that just had unique units focused entirely on one era and nothing else.

Are you thinking of Rise of Nations? Because all civs were dull as hell in 3 and 4.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

CountFosco posted:

loving hexes? Again???

Agreed. Worst of the shapes. I want to play as the leader of a human civilization, not as a loving bee.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Phobophilia posted:

jfc i cant believe i need to explain elementary poo poo

the problem with square tiles, where diagonal movements cost as much as cardinal movements, is that it becomes optimal to always move on diagonals every single turn, because such moves are ~40% further than cardinal moves

it also gets rid of the jankiness of the "big fat cross", where cities can't access tiles 2-diagonal from the centres

i regularly poo poo on civ5 but its hexes are one of its major advantages over civ4. the only downside is that 2-rings of hexes has only 18 tiles, while the full BFC has 20 tiles, meaning that hex cities wont be as big as BFC cities. civ5's solution was to expand city sizes to 3-rings, which was a mistake because it set the game down the path of tiny numbers of cities

Good point, but I think you should have quoted the post I quoted instead of my joke post denouncing hexagons as the worst shape in general, and also equating using them in any fashion to only be acceptable if one is a bee.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Supply lines are never going to be in a Civ game except in the most abstract way. It's a semi-casual strategy game. In order for supply lines to be in the game, they would be the main focus of the game as they would be the most micromanaged feature.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Poil posted:

What if you set them up as trade routes? Build them and send them from a city to a specific unit, for 30 turns and then you have to reselect that particular unit from the list. :v:

Why?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tendales posted:

I'm not entirely sure what would be too spergy and annoying about 'If you get your units between invading armies and their home territory you get an advantage' but OK.

You already get a benefit for having your armies between an invading army and their homeland. It's called a pincer, and even if the game had no internal bonus for surrounding an army , you would still get a tactical bonus simply by attacking them from both sides. This bonus is already built into mathematics.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Red Bones posted:

Regarding the whole idea of supply lines being an incentive to advance bit by bit instead of beelining toward a capital, civ 5 already sorta incentivised that by the AI packing all its cities so closely together that in order to safely capture their capital, you'd have to carve yourself safe chunks of their territory by capturing cities. If you beelined a capital that was in the centre of an enemy empire you'd be in bombardment range of 3 or 4 cities and would have nowhere to heal units.

I hope this game takes advantage of the improvements in computers in the last six years and just gives us slightly larger maps, honestly. A game that gave you bigger maps to play around in and was balanced toward slightly bigger maps would be nice.

I want larger maps and and platform that can handle more civs at once, because I want a world where you don't have to directly be involved with each other civ if you don't want to. Having some regional powers, and giving their opponents weapons might be fun.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I think that's what he means by a platform that can handle more Civs - performance improvements as well as it being optional rather than mandatory.

Yes, that's what I meant.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Aerdan posted:

Presumably one of the reasons they're starting over from scratch is so that they can do it right this time, instead of piling poorly-optimized code on top of poorly-optimized code on top of poorly-optimized code. That's really the main reason Civ5 is so sluggish: lovely programming.

Yeah, I never dug into the code too much, but even from the XML files you could tell they were rushing V at some point.

"<UsesForestsAsRoads>", really?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I loved everything I saw, including the graphics now that I've seen them zoomed out and they aren't at that weird angle.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

IGN confirms that Americans get a unique film studio building.

Their unique unit is the rough rider and a P-51 fighter.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The video states that one of China's UUs is a builder that can be used to rush wonders.

At least China as a wonderwhore will be a change of pace.

IGN clarified that. The Chinese builders get 4 charges, while other civs get 3 charges.

So it looks like all builders get to help rush wonders, but China's bonus just happens to make them better at it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

DarthJeebus posted:

Do citizens still work tiles? I couldn't tell from the gameplay preview. I would assume so, but the interface is definitely changed a lot.

Yes. It's quick, but there's about one second where they show that.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cowman posted:

If that's the case then that's pretty cool and I'm more interested. Far as I know they haven't said anything about that style of expansion.

Taking a look at the gameplay video, the way that the main city Xi'An is set up he only has 9 remaining land hexes to put districts/wonders on, 12 if there's some for mountains. When he puts the Academy district down, you can see that there's tile bonuses. If there's not a way to move districts then I definitely would see myself screwing early cities out of optimal/mandatory district placements. I don't know how many districts there will be in the final game but the cities are probably going to end up being limited and specialized which could either be fun and interesting or extremely aggravating. I'm still not entirely sold on the district and wonder placement especially because the gameplay video is very early game and he's already filled up almost half his tiles with wonders, districts and improvements. If it's that quick to fill up then I don't have high hopes for the late game to be interesting.

I don't see telling my workers to build improvements on every tile in the late game to be a particularly fun part of the game. Even on harder difficulties, I'm automating my workers near end game. This district system will make the game more fun in late game because you have to think more about how to raid and defend cities instead of just having one tile surrounded by the pre-determined, optimized tile improvements.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 26, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Rexides posted:

I hope that the new policy cards system will have some nuance to it and not just be some switches you flip whenever you declare war. It will be interesting if they make it interact with diplomacy both on the city state level and world congress decisions (if that makes it in), otherwise it won't do that much for me. Also, I find it a bit jarring that some terrain improvements will be built by workersbuilders, while some by the city itself. Why the distinction?

Other than these small things, the new details make me very, very hopeful for the final game.

I think you have to pay gold to change cards so you can't just switch back and forth at will. I don't know what the cost is for actually changing government types though.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I feel that Civ 6 will run as well or better than V considering that V is amazingly inefficient and turns even powerful machines into hot stove tops.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm thinking the builders having charges might make war a lot more fun. Previously, pillaging was just an annoyance because you could just have workers rebuild everything rather quickly. In 6 you will have to build builders to rebuild you lands. I predict that hit and run pillaging wars are going to be much more effective this time around.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The game needs empire splitting. The end game gets really stagnant near the end when you're down to only three civs.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The problem with empire splitting is that it would be very fun when it happens to the AI because it will make the end game less stagnant, but you can't have such a devastating effect only apply to the AI. The solution would be to somehow make it fun.

Maybe when an empire splits, all other civs get to use culture or gold in order to bid to design it. You get to choose an existing civ not in the current game, and both of its agendas. Civs closer to the breakaway civ get a bonus to this amount. So when you split, you can pay to have your new neighbor be the Mongols with an agenda that makes him like you, or you can put Morocco next to you and make a new trading partner, or you can pay to put a highly aggressive civ in next to an enemy when their empire splits.

Anyway, my main gripe with V is the end game, three civ slog. If the modding isn't some ludicrous puzzle like it was in the V, I'm going to try to find a way to put more civs in.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

http://franchise.civilization.com/en/news/2016-06-civilization-vi-envoys-and-city-states/

City state info. Hattusa is a city state which means the Hittites are not a civ. :(

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Away all Goats posted:

Wait, someone actually liked the way religion was implemented in civ5? Even now after all the expansions and patches it feels like an after thought to me.

The religion mechanic in Civ 5 is nearly perfect. The problem is that every time an AI citizen farts three missionaries appear.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gort posted:

The beliefs are atrociously unbalanced. At least one is bugged to the point it does nothing.

You're right. I should be more specific. The structure of how religion was implemented was great. I liked how it spread, the idea of follower beliefs, etc. They just had some really poorly thought out beliefs stuffed into it. I'd be very happy to see a similar religion system in VI only without some more thought about the beliefs themselves.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Away all Goats posted:

They just need to get rid of the whole 'majority religion' concept for cities, its what led to dumb and boring missionary spam. Go back to Civ4's 'every religion can exist in one city, but you only get benefits from the state religion'.

The fun thing about religion in V is that it can be something independent of your civ. It's a force that changes the game that you don't have complete control over. If you just have a state religion then you are effectively just getting another bonus and not interacting or being interacted with.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Away all Goats posted:

"It's a force that changes the game that you don't have complete control over." applies to religion in Civ 4 too, and that didn't involve spamming missionaries

Religion didn't do anything in Civ 4. All I remember is that every religion did the same thing: give you some gold and let you see more tiles. The base religious system in V is great. The fact that the AI can spam missionaries doesn't change that the idea was fundamentally sound.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Phobophilia posted:

I mean, what lack of control do you have with Civ5 religion? It's all able to be micromanaged by the player. Maybe just the holy city has RNG involved, but everything else? Religious pressure has an area of effect mechanic. After all, Civ5 expansion was so slow, that it's trivial to predict the spawn point of a holy city.

The lack of control is that your citizens can become a different religion than you want them to be. You can't just make a royal decree that everyone follows your religion. Religion put another force on the map that you couldn't just stamp out with a decision.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Wasn't slavery just pressing a button to lose a population and get some production?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Right, thank you for putting that so succinctly. That's what's wrong with religion as a mechanic in Civ, IMO. The whole point of playing Civ is that you're effectively a god. You as leader ARE the civ's religion, the way the game is designed, and having a "your citizens can tell you to gently caress right off because of actions opponent civs take and/or random chance" mechanic violates that.

I disagree. Part of the fun is that I'm running a civilization of humans. I should have to manage both external forces created by other civilizations and internal situations created by my citizens.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And some unhappiness, yes. Part of the reason slavery worked though was that you could grow back from pop 1 to pop 4 pretty quickly. Carefully managing the unhappiness and your cities' populations could get you a lot more hammers than you could get otherwise.

All true, but it wasn't really a mechanic. It was more of just a mathematical formula that the experts knew better than everyone else. No real decision making in the process because no matter what civ you played as or what the geography was, you just bee-lined for bronze working(if I remember correctly), pressed the button, and it worked out 100% of the time. The only challenge and decision making in that process was figuring it out once and from that point on it might as well be a reflex.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Hell, that's half the reason they've avoided attaching specific bonuses to specific religions - either everything gets the same bonus(Civ IV) or the player gets to pick it themselves(Civ V), instead of opening the :can: by saying that Hinduism is good at X, and Christianity is good at Y.

Whenever a Hindu unit dies, it returns as a shittier unit if it had 2 or less promotions, and as a better unit if it had 3 or more.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jastiger posted:

*shruG* they are willing to put in slavery and stuff, why not the negative in late game. Why shouldn't you be punished for rushing religion and ignoring science?

Because nobody would play it then. The idea isn't bad; it's just not fun unless you are playing a more complicated game.

In a civ game the punishment would have to come at the time you make the choice, not later. Few people play the end game now. Imagine if the end game is you getting hosed because you loved God once 1000 years ago.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Eureka moments are not required to learn a tech. They just give you a 50% bonus to it.

Under the new system, your island nation would probably be master sailors from Eureka moments.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 8, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gabriel Pope posted:

Kind of, but it does look like their existence will punish overly focused strategies.

I think this may be the case for a couple of months, but they will balance the eureka requirements in a patch.

Another thing to consider is that, even though a eureka gives you 50% of the beakers for a tech, you may not hit that eureka until you are 60 - 70% done researching, thus only gaining a 40 - 50% bonus.

Yet another thing to consider is whether or not you can hit Eurekas for techs you are not currently researching.

There is too much we don't know yet, but I have the same concern as you right now. I think with how much Ed Beach doesn't want that to happen that any such thing will be patched out.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Trivia posted:

I wonder if they're going to bring back random events; I kinda liked those.

Or are Eurekas going to be the new random events? If so I hope that for any given tech, there is a pool of potential triggers and the game chooses one at the beginning of the game. It doesn't feel like a Eureka if you can plan for it.

Random events are only fun to me in games that are designed around random events, and random events aren't fun in games that you've spent time learning detailed rules for.

The random events in the Civilization series are the geography and who you are next to.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

E3 today was pretty lackluster. Some good minor details like pillaging certain districts gives you bonuses depending on what you pillaged, and that you can nuke wonders. I liked everything I saw, but what I really want though is to see some specs on the uniques of some civilizations. I want to see the limit to which they are willing to change influence the game with special abilities.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've decided that I don't like the leader art at all, if the two leaders we've seen are anything to go by

It's pretty bad, but whatever. It's just there to be there. I only look at the menus in the leaders screen. I don't give a poo poo what is going on in the animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh boy, leader screens that take up the entire screen and pop up unannounced. Just what I wanted.

I'm not certain, but I think it's been said that they do not just pop up, and that they are more of a mandatory message that you must click on before the turn ends. If that is correct, then the only reason they popped up is because we were watching a prerecorded demo.