Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Handsome Ralph posted:

What if there was a happy medium between stacks and 1UPT?

Like you could have 3-4 units per tile or artillery, infantry and armor/mounted units could all occupy the same space granted there's no more than one of each type? I could live with something like that.

Guess what. That is what Civ6 is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Nah. The biggest fuckup was having an AI completely incapable of dealing with the new movement and stacking mechanics. It was a traffic jam cluster gently caress.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I'm laughing at all of the previous comments that said the graphics look terrible.
This looks awesome in motion. gently caress the haters.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I think you are definitely going to need to specialize your cities. There isn't going to be enough city tiles for the different buildings / districts to feasibly get them all in a single city.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Maybe its just me but I'd love to see the Civ series tackle weather / seasons.
Not sure exactly how they could do it. Maybe certain resources either appear/disappear depending on season. Or at the very least change value in the amount of happiness or whatever they give.

I guess it doesn't make too much sense when a turn is large chunks of time.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Leinadi posted:

I *think* I saw some streamer assign several people to a district/building (not sure which) but he just did it to show that it could be done. Not sure who it was. But yeah, haven't seen anyone actually make use of it.

In Quill's Rome videos he is confused by this at first but around episode 15ish he discovers that if you click the citizen icon multiple times on districts that accept multiple citizens it will toggle between 0, 1, 2, etc. citizens. The UI/UX for this is extremely poor.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

On thursday at 12pm I'm going to play Beyond Earth and cry for 6 hours

I have 8 hours logged, total, of Beyond Earth.
That game makes me sad.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Changes they could make to eurekas.

1. Have the eureka grant a smaller amount of science progress towards the research
2. Make the eureka harder to obtain by having more difficult requirements to obtain, or have multiple requirements
3. Make the eureka harder to obtain by making some eurekas globally unique. Eg, in the modern era patents prevent more than one Civ from getting a Eureka on radio broadcasting as an example.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Joink posted:

Honestly if WW2 didn't happen humans probably would have been on the moon around 1885 anyway.

:confused:

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Spikey posted:

The mentioned that warrior upgrades require strategic resources. If you don't have iron you're going to be stuck with warriors for awhile.

This is almost excusable but every AI in that game was having issues with this. You can't tell me every AI in this game was having a resource issue. And if resources are the cause of this, then the resource mechanic is flawed. Either the AI should be good enough to handle the mechanic, or the mechanic should be redesigned to work better with the AI that they have. This is primarily a singleplayer game after all. The game mechanics should make sense with what they are capable of programming for the AI.

Based on what I've seen from this stream today I think the AI is worse than 5. The only improvement I see is you don't have to wait ages for the AI to take its turn.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 20, 2016

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Also I thought it was pretty sad when the one guy said that in all of their AI testing they never once saw an AI achieve the 'conquer' victory condition.
Uhh... what? That is crap.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Magil Zeal posted:

The upgrade woes at least are a common observation from the various YouTube videos that are playing the preview copy, as are the "joint non-wars". The AI being inept at achieving a Domination victory is straight from the mouth of the lead AI developer. I think he said he never saw a Civ approach domination, the most capitals he ever saw fall was 3 (presumably in a standard-sized, 8 player game). Those parts at least are not just based on the gameplay that unfolded in the one stream.

" joint non-wars" - love it.

I dunno. Maybe there is a secret agenda that can get randomly assigned that is "mass murderer lunatic" or something that would make that AI extremely aggressive. Otherwise the lack of aggressiveness is kind of troubling from what I've seen so far. I get that they don't want AI going on murder rampages and steam rolling the player. But clearly this is something that could have been worked into the agenda system. If warmongering is such a huge penalty that disincentives the AI from ever going to war in a meaningful way.. that isn't fun.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

SlothBear posted:

This sounds like me 99% of the time I agree to join the AI in war, not really seeing the problem with this part.

The problem with this is its logical.. but it doesn't make for a fun game. If two AI agree to a joint war and they are both 'grid locked' from doing anything because both want the other to take the lead. That isn't good game design.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Impressions on reddit the AI is better than that stream yesterday would seem to have indicated.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Playing on ultrawide monitor is GLORIOUS!

That said there are some terrible UI issues that need to be worked out.
But I am having a great time. Played for 5 hours last night.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So I bought the digital deluxe on GMG and the Aztecs are not an option in the Civ list in-game.
According to steam I have the digital deluxe. I don't know whats up.

Anyone?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I preordered on GMG a couple of weeks ago. Not sure that counts I guess..

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

HMS Beagle posted:

I think the Aztecs were a separate code, you might check to see if GMG sent you something else.

That was it! Thanks. It was caught in the spam filter.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
You don't need to change the bik movie with an empty one to remove the loading movie. If you go into the Documents/Games/Civ6 whatever folder. There are some lua files you can edit and one of them has a line to turn off the intro movie. I think it is the same place / file where you can disable the auto unit select bullshit.

Oh and if you don't want to edit the core game lua files in the steam directory to get tooltips to pop faster there is one simple trick you can do and Ghandi will hate you for it.

hold shift

:p

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 22, 2016

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

holy poo poo turns are taking forever (10 players, ssd, turn 400)

FYI. Having an SSD, or not, will have zero impact on turn times.
But yes, anything more than 'standard' 8 players seems to drastically increase the turn times.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Staltran posted:

Oh yeah the later encampment buildings give +25% to "corps training" or something? I actually weren't sure what that did and never bothered to find out
e: Armory says "faster corps and army training", doesn't mention how much faster

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize this. That changes things.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Couple of thoughts after finishing a second game.

- The Spy mechanics are really awesome and I wish the Spy system came into the game at a much earlier tech level. Maybe call them "Saboteur's" and you get them in the Classical era or something and then they get obsoleted by Spy in the modern era.

- In the later eras you also get a ton if different options for declaring war that decrease your warmongering penalty. These options are clustered really close together tech-wise. I feel these options should be spread out much more and come much earlier. Additionally the diplomatic options for becoming allies, etc. should come earlier than they do.

- I think its fine and fair that you lose your own religion if all your cities get converted. However, there should be at least one 'get out of jail' free mechanic. For example, maybe if you have X amount of faith saved up you can spend it to reconvert a city back to your own religion. The cost could be astronomical to prevent multiple uses.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Another point I forgot to mention.

Pretty sure Eurekas are too powerful. I think they should be like Wonders. First Civ to accomplish the boost for an Eureka gets it, everyone else is stuck researching the full thing.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
This game needs the latest Sim City visualization screen that lets you search for something and grays out all the tiles that don't have that thing.
This would be great for searching for and finding all tiles that have a resource. Could do it for units and districts too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Comstar posted:

From r/civ Firaxis Slowly Losing Ability to Make Small 2D Images

It is now clear this game was released unfinished, Firaxs knows how unfinished it is, and the silence is higher than NoMansSky-levels.

Hyperbolic much?

I work in the video game industry and I've seen far worse //TODO items in code that shipped.
Stuff like //TODO: TOTALLY BROKEN DO NOT SHIP

poo poo like that ships to release all. the. time.