Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any mods that prevent Barbarians from building up huge forces? I keep having games where my exploration units (not just recon units) stumble upon a single Barbarian unit they can easily take, but get swept by a horde hiding just outside the fog before they can do anything. If I survive and manage to gently caress off they don't really give chase but they do seem to build up even more units and then go erase a city. Funny when it's someone else, especially a warmonger, but less funny when it's me.

It feels like this is just bad Barb AI intersecting with bad Civ and City-State AI that doesn't tend to finish the job on Barb camps but gets close enough to prompt them to spawn counter units. I'm not asking for a miracle, just like a cap on the number of units a camp can have at any given time or something along those lines. Or should I just use Clans mode where it seems like they tend to convert before this happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Customization VI is incredibly powerful (probably the most important Civ 6 mod ever imo), Barbarians is one of the options
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2492747881

Thanks, I'll check that out!

Microplastics posted:

Aha that makes sense. I thought it might have been some barbarian shenanigans

With the mods I use I sometimes get a barbarian encampment one tile into the fog of war turn 1. Obviously it's a reroll but just know that your mods may have barbmurdered a dude for no reason.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing a Zombies game with my buddy since yesterday. In our previous games together every once in awhile the non-host player would get a loading screen at the turn transition. No big deal, we're an ocean apart so I guess I get it. In the new patch the behavior has changed, now we both get a full minute of nothing happening at all before the non-host gets the loading screen, and it seems to happen almost every turn.

So that's not great.

All I want to do is finish the achievements before this thing rattles itself to pieces.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ded posted:

well like most games. the best way to get a culture victory for the event is take away nearly every city the ai's have via war. the game is only on 4 (prince?) so they don't build an army for poo poo. so much land to take tho.

I've been trying not to do this, but isn't conquering a civ or two just kind of cruise control for cool when it comes to any win condition in 6? When an AI declares was on me I actively try not to conquer them (it's hard, as the war weariness mechanics make captured cities a devastatingly effective sponge for the homeland happiness) because then I have a civ-conquering army sitting around doing nothing and twice as many cities as anyone else.

Moreso than the older games I feel like I need to strongly self-regulate for the game to remain challenging.

E: Before anyone mentions Diplomatic Victory, that's the name of a checkbox to uncheck in the game options and nothing more, since I already have the achievements related to it. I don't think that the "guess what the AI will vote for then also vote for that" World Council is any good at all.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 17, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

Oh yea, someone please explain how Ruhr valley is so good?

+1 Production to Mines and Quarries is very nice when you have a city in the Tundra Hills where that's about all you can build, but for most civs Ruhr Valley is going to be about the +20% Production more than anything. A high-adjacency Industrial Zone (with Dams, Aqueducts, and Canals at +2.5 each, as they get the district adjacency as well) can easily hit +6 with a little planning on top of the upgrade benefits.

As long as you're not Brazil, the best way I've found to use Ruhr Valley is actually in an undeveloped city in a hill-dense rainforest with ideally a couple lakes and a well-placed Industrial Zone, regardless of if you've developed the adjacencies. Place Ruhr, then start choppin' hill rainforests to get it out quick. Continue choppin' hill rainforests (which will receive 20% additional production) to build up the adjacencies for the Industrial Zone, then infill with Mines and Quarries. Apologize to God and your citizens for your -7 Appeal ratings, then build whatever you want at easily twice the pace of any of your other cities.

Behind Rainforest and Regularforest Hills, you can also drop a city in the barren Tundra Hills specifically for Ruhr, but you need to do it ahead of unlocking Ruhr itself because that'll be a slow-growth city.

The only part that sucks about Ruhr is that the AI will not only beeline it, but also build it in a city with poor production output and no hills like an idiot. Ruhr can be the most powerful Wonder in the game if you plan ahead.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
New bug just dropped (or at least I think it's new).

Sometimes prerequisites are optional I guess.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The deeper I get, the stupider 6 gets.

This appears to be all of the "appears as a lake" natural wonders.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
My real concern is Huey Teocalli. Not that I want to build it on a Wonder lake, but that it gives +1 food and production to all owned Lake tiles. Because the wonder lakes are not actually lakes, they get nothing.

I guess that means it interacts with other things that do things to Coast tiles, which is fine I guess. Still makes it harder to establish a city next to it.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 26, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Xerol posted:

Was also fighting against losing 2 victory points every world conference (despite getting ridiculous amounts of diplo favor, you can't really go up against 40 votes against you), which was also 2 turns away from happening.

You can mitigate this by voting against yourself. That way you get -2 but also +1 for winning the vote.

World Conference is probably the easiest to game part of the game.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Leaderboards of any variety means limiting mod support, which is a hard out from me lads. Losing something as absolutely fundamental to the experience as my fancy map tacks would make playing the game a miserable slog.

The only thing that survey has done is ensure that I won't purchase the next Civ game before it's been well and properly reviewed and I can watch some streamers to see if it's acceptable at all, like I should have done with 6.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
It could also be cool to have some sort of outposts (preferably both sea and land) that you could place at the edge of a city radius to allow the city access to workable tiles outside the 3 tile radius. Like right now building a city on the tundra is kind of a waste of a settler for all but a few civs, but if that city could have an outpost or two it might, at some point, see a sustainable double digit population without 3 Neighborhoods. Maybe penalize the yields in the extensions, or make it so a citizen has to work an Outpost for the tiles to be accessible, there's loads of ways to balance.

If we're just wishlisting I'd also like a bigger map and more tile variations - things like Dense variations of the Forest and Rainforest that are impassable or less passable without technologies, and Mountainous Terrain as a step between Hills and impassable useless Mountains would be cool. Bigger map would also allow for multi-tile constructions to more accurately portray scales, like Petra is dozens of square miles of mountain pockmarked with (mostly ruined) subterranean structures and originally had buildings outside as part of the city while the Eiffel Tower is less than 500 ft per side, weird that they're the same size on the map to me.

E: Also Military Engineers feel like they show up at about the right time, but people have been tunneling through mountains or at least building roads over and through them for thousands of years, so Mountain Tunnel feels like it shows up late by at least a full millennium. I'd prefer earlier access to them but maybe they don't connect through the chain until Military Engineers?

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 29, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I mean the game also straight-up cheats sometimes. In the game I'm playing with my buddy I met England's Warrior on Turn 4, and I was sad because that meant they were gonna be up my rear end, right? Maximum of 8 squares away from where I met them, or 14 if the Warrior and Settler sprinted in opposite directions (since the settler would need to settle for London to exist)

Incorrect. London was 17 hexes off the meeting place, and most of what was between was Forest Hills and Mountains. Their Warrior simply teleported, there is no other explanation. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Liz was set to Prince, so she only had 1 warrior and 1 settler. Also Goodie Hut units are all recon-class and spawn on the nearest city, so again not that.

To further confuse things there was a river that the unit would need to cross twice on the fastest path, meaning that their minimum-17 tile walk which they completed in 4 turns would have actually taken 10 at minimum.

Maybe it was a mod, though all my mods are informational and don't claim to interact with gameplay. Doesn't matter, we ended up restarting because my friend had barbarians spawn directly outside city sight 3 times in the first 50 turns.