Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
In the time since display port has become a standard, I've replaced more broken display port cables than any other kind of cable ever. I've had multiple display port cables just straight up not work. I've had them die after a year of use. I've purchased 1000 dollar monitors that I thought were defective because the display port cable that they came with did not work. It's terrible.

Has this been anyone elses experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Can confirm. They're poo poo.

Never would have hapened if stebe were still alive.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
This is what happens when Apple doesn't maintain strict control over the things they license to other companies.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know why but my original iPhone thunderbolt cable just stopped working out of nowhere, and so did my wife's, and they are both the original ones from the box (they are both iPhone 5s'). So we bought two new ones from 5 Below (like a 99 cent store except times 5) and they looked to be high quality and a lot thicker, and one of those failed already, too. With the Apple ones I guess there could have been wear on them but there's no stress on these new ones at all so maybe some chip in them rots out or something? No idea.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah for some reason i thought it was a chip thing too (based on nothing at all I was just like hmm maybe it's a chip thing). well I guess i read somewhere that thunderbolt cables have a computer in them or something IDK

glad to hear i am not alone

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007
pro-tip, if you buy an Apple cable and it breaks, call in and bitch about it and say you bought it 5-6 months ago (they don't ask you for a receipt to prove it) and they should replace it - at worst they'll take your credit card and charge you if you don't return the original.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I don't know why but my original iPhone thunderbolt cable just stopped working out of nowhere, and so did my wife's, and they are both the original ones from the box (they are both iPhone 5s'). So we bought two new ones from 5 Below (like a 99 cent store except times 5) and they looked to be high quality and a lot thicker, and one of those failed already, too. With the Apple ones I guess there could have been wear on them but there's no stress on these new ones at all so maybe some chip in them rots out or something? No idea.

iPhones don't have Thunderbolt, they have lightning :grin:

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

tazjin posted:

iPhones don't have Thunderbolt, they have lightning :grin:

for now

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

In the time since display port has become a standard, I've replaced more broken display port cables than any other kind of cable ever. I've had multiple display port cables just straight up not work. I've had them die after a year of use. I've purchased 1000 dollar monitors that I thought were defective because the display port cable that they came with did not work. It's terrible.

Has this been anyone elses experience?

wait, the title says thunderbolt, but your post is saying display port. wtf

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
apple cables Suck ! !
whenever i bump my lab-top, my thunderbirds usually disconnect. also, the charger connected to all that poo poo doesn't charge most of the time. i keep having to fiddle w/ it to get it to make the light turn on, despite always saying its charging from the battery icon on my macbook

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

i have ~6mo old car, work, and home lightning cables that are all bare metal at this point. i even treat the fuckers kinda nice. gently caress u gay apple bossman

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL how many of you pull the cables out by the cord instead of the plug like you're supposed to?

"The connectors on my MacBook are loose, but instead of taking it back and having Apple fix or replace it, I'm just going to whine about it on the internet like a Windows user."

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

don't own any thunderbolt/dsiplayport cables

but I've used the same lightning cable for like 3 years now. is everyone swinging them around like like a lasso, or weakening the plastic with chip grease or something?

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 14, 2016

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol lightning cables

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i've never had any issues whatsoever with official apple cables of any kind, while oddly enough the $2 knockoffs are hosed after a few months

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
the monoprice lightning cables have been going strong for like 2+ years without issue, would recommend.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the cables are loving fail and only the broken brained autistic iAilure white knight FuckTards ITF would defend them

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Your gimmick is getting old, Smythe.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Doc Block posted:

no thats rotors gimmick

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Doc Block posted:

What gimmick?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Raluek posted:

no thats rotors gimmick

lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Raluek posted:

no thats rotors gimmick

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

no thats rotors gimmick

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Raluek posted:

no thats rotors gimmick

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raluek posted:

no thats rotors gimmick

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Raluek posted:

no thats rotors gimmick

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Raluek posted:

no thats rotors gimmick

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

has anyone said "ur both poo poo op" yet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
yeah I said it itt then everyone laughed really hard

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
had half a post written before I realized
this wasn't about firewire

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
my cable works fine, maybe your holding it wrong? hope that helps

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

genuine apple ones work fine for 2-3 years if you dont treat them like complete poo poo. cheap ebay cables last a few months, like all cheap ebay cables.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I haven't yet broken a single lightning cable that is mfi certified, including ones made by Apple, monoprice, and anker; and I haven't broken my iHome or Belkin docks either

lovely cables from meh dot com die rapidly

I've only had one MagSafe adapter die ever, and that took five years

idk how you people keep breaking this poo poo

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Al! posted:

yeah I said it itt then everyone laughed really hard

goongrats

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

these things:

• thunderbolt
  • lightning
  • displayport

are different

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

these things:

• thunderbolt
  • lightning
  • displayport

are different

nah

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I have thought a lot about this OP.

I’m a huge fan of Thunderbolt. A single wire carrying both DisplayPort and high-speed PCIe data is an incredibly elegant approach to minimising cable clutter even if you don’t need the blistering speed, especially when you can use an Apple Thunderbolt Display as a hub for your USB devices.

I also admire clever tech. The reason you can daisy-chain up to six separate devices is because Thunderbolt automatically multiplexes and de-multiplexes the signals as needed. Thunderbolt 2 takes this approach one step further, combining two 10Gbit/s channels into a single 20Gbit/s connection, with the the Thunderbolt controller again doing all the work. It’s impressive stuff.

A fast, clever technology developed by Intel and enthusiastically marketed by Apple ought to stand a fighting chance at mass-market adoption. Sadly, there’s so far not much sign of this happening. It’s all looking rather reminiscent of Firewire …

Firewire was far superior to USB. While USB 2 claimed peak speeds of 480Mbps, it rarely delivered them. Firewire 400’s delivery of 400Mbps was consistent, making it significantly faster in real-life use. And Firewire 800 left USB for dead.

But we all know that technological superiority is no guarantee of commercial success. The mass-market went with USB. Partly because consumers buy numbers without necessarily knowing what they mean, but mostly because it was cheaper.

firewire

Firewire didn’t die. It’s still in use in many high-end setups, and you can still buy Firewire drives today. But it definitely became a niche product, with even Apple eventually dropping the port from its MacBooks.

Thunderbolt currently looks to be heading the same way. That wasn’t the plan. Intel intended it to be the new USB. Optical thunderbolt was supposed to take over from copper, and there was supposed to be a Thunderbolt port in every PC. Neither has happened.

The reason is USB 3. It’s not as good. It’s not as fast. But it’s cheap and it’s familiar. You can virtually count on one hand the number of Windows PCs out there with a Thunderbolt port. I think it’s no exaggeration to say that without Apple, Thunderbolt would already be dead.

The new Superspeed USB protocol matching the 10Gbps throughput of standard Thunderbolt adds to the pressure, and Thunderbolt 2 – like Firewire 800 before it – is unlikely to be enough to sway the market.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Doesn't help that Intel charged a lot more for Thunderbolt controllers than USB controllers, and a lot of peripheral manufacturers decided to charge a shitload more money for the Thunderbolt version of their devices.

It's almost as if Intel didn't want Thunderbolt to succeed...

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I've never even seen a thunderbolt cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I've never even seen a thunderbolt cable

they look a lot like mini displayport

• Locked thread