Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

What the heck even IS Momodora?!?
    I'm glad you asked~! It's a series that started way back in 2010 with Momodora 1. The first game was basically just a Cave Story clone, but the games evolved A LOT after that - going down into Metroidvania territory and stuff and became VERY distinct. The fourth game is currently like basically Dark Souls, but 2D. The first two games are Pay What You Want, but after that the developer rdein began to release them on Steam for cheap.

The first three games generally take less than an hour to beat casually (the speedruns are somewhere between like 6 and 12 minutes or so), but the fourth game (which is my current ongoing LP) is considerably longer.
Okay but why should I care yo
    Well, as a fan of LP'ing indie games that no one has heard of and a completionist, I think it's my duty to give these sorts of lesser known games their due - especially when they're as fun as this! I also think it's worth going through the games in-order so you don't miss out on little references and stuff!
Who the BUTTS are you anyway
How are you defining 100%
    Basically, I want to show the entire game off - all items, all bosses, all effects. Also 100% map completion, all the NPC dialogue, etc. I also play the game on the hardest available settings to me at the time. I don't show off getting all the achievements, though I did do this for Momodora 3 on my own time just for fun (and to see if there were any differences between the Momo and Dora campaigns beyond the sprite replacement).
tldr give me the videos yo

Horikawa Otane fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I kinda feel this a dump, but that would require me clicking on the videos. So I'll go with my assumption and say that you should read the rules or something.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
omg a real girl on-line

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
yeah you gotta get some audience participation or some very witty co-commentators with anime avatars, this is just a video dump

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Niggurath posted:

I kinda feel this a dump, but that would require me clicking on the videos. So I'll go with my assumption and say that you should read the rules or something.

CharlestonJew posted:

yeah you gotta get some audience participation or some very witty co-commentators with anime avatars, this is just a video dump

I wasn't sure about this since the Momodora 4 LP is ongoing? I'll change it to reflect only the ongoing LP then. Should be fine then. I apologize.

Horikawa Otane fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 15, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
putty whatever happened to richard gamingo

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Alright, you seem to be pretty dedicated so unlike the other goons, I'll explain what's up.

Here on SA we don't like straight up video dumps. Generally people release an episode of a game, allow for some discussion, a link to this episode is added to the thread OP, and we wait for the next episode which repeats the process. This is great because the discussions can be genuinely pretty cool and if you really like (or really hate!) the game, you usually have a lot to say. When you just kinda put it all up front, we kinda don't know what to do with that.
I know the LP Archive is a thing and everyone wants to get their efforts chiselled into it, but both your LP and the game you're showing off will be a lot better received if you get some discussion going. It will be much more memorable and popular too, if that's what you're after.

EDIT: oh. Uh. Well, it's better but that's not quite what we meant.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 15, 2016

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Wait, so... is this like a foreign game then? I dunno if the LP subforum is ready for that. Maybe you should do the new Doom, Hory Kow?

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

SSNeoman posted:

Alright, you seem to be pretty dedicated so unlike the other goons, I'll explain what's up.

Here on SA we don't like straight up video dumps. Generally people release an episode of a game, allow for some discussion, a link to this episode is added to the thread OP, and we wait for the next episode which repeats the process. This is great because the discussions can be genuinely pretty cool and if you really like (or really hate!) the game, you usually have a lot to say. When you just kinda put it all up front, we kinda don't know what to do with that.
I know the LP Archive is a thing and everyone wants to get their efforts chiselled into it, but both your LP and the game you're showing off will be a lot better received if you get some discussion going. It will be much more memorable and popular too, if that's what you're after.

Thank you for your feedback. Bizarrely, I didn't even know the LP Archive was a thing. I was told by a few friends on Skype that SA had a neat community and that I should see about posting my LPs here as peeps may enjoy them. That's all it was haha.

If posting the first 3 eps of the ongoing Momo 4 LP is considered a video dump, then I sincerely apologize, mods can please close and archive the thread, and I'll be back when I start my next game (probably a Megaman fangame of some sort) so the entire thing can be done from episode one here. Otherwise, I'll take what I've learned and complete the LP updating it here, then make a new thread for the next one.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'd suggest checking out the Sandcastle thread before starting any new LPs as well.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Chimera-gui posted:

I'd suggest checking out the Sandcastle thread before starting any new LPs as well.
Bleh, don't say this either. The videos are completely fine and it was honestly a minor thing about the dump that has been rectified.

So with actual game discussion, Momodora 4 was a marked improvement over the previous games (though I only really played 3). The controls felt a lot better and the visuals were a step up, and even though it does borrow some ideas and game play elements from the Souls games, it doesn't really ruin the game by any means. Also if anyone was wanting to pick it up, the game is on sale right now for like $8 which isn't too bad.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'd cut out repetitive deaths but eh, ymmv.

I see what you mean by the Souls elements but I always feel poo poo like "explosive barrels post screen transition" was some good bullshit. Like what is that supposed to teach the player?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Thread would give a much better first impression with something as simple as "100% Momodora 4 - Dark Souls in 2d" as the title

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

booksnake posted:

Thread would give a much better first impression with something as simple as "100% Momodora 4 - Dark Souls in 2d" as the title

Yeah, the thread title sounds like it presumes we know what Momodora is.

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah, the thread title sounds like it presumes we know what Momodora is.

I agree, but sadly I don't think I can edit the thread title?

Niggurath posted:

So with actual game discussion, Momodora 4 was a marked improvement over the previous games (though I only really played 3). The controls felt a lot better and the visuals were a step up, and even though it does borrow some ideas and game play elements from the Souls games, it doesn't really ruin the game by any means. Also if anyone was wanting to pick it up, the game is on sale right now for like $8 which isn't too bad.

Honestly speaking, I kinda like 3 better so far. While 4 is pretty gosh darned good, 3 had a lot more variety in its environments and had actual music. My favourite may actually be 2 though, bizarrely haha. It had an actual ending.

But yeah, I recommend the whole series, really (except maybe 1). 2 is free and super short, 4 is cheap as dirt, and 3 is even cheaper.

Momo 4 is like a TOTALLY different game though - so while you'll miss references from the previous games if you start with it (like Edea's Pearl is a Momo 3 reference), you'll be able to follow along extremely well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Horikawa Otane posted:

I agree, but sadly I don't think I can edit the thread title?

Mods can change thread titles and tags. PM Geop, Fedule, or JordanKai about it and they can help you out with that.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Nice to see you on here. I was following the videos through your youtube up till now.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Good luck with this one, Otane.

Also, a good idea with your updates is to include a short blurb telling people what can be expected in that update: plot important events, sick nasty combos, insightful diatribes on game design and suchlike so people have something to draw them in.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Heavy Sigh posted:

Good luck with this one, Otane.

Also, a good idea with your updates is to include a short blurb telling people what can be expected in that update: plot important events, sick nasty combos, insightful diatribes on game design and suchlike so people have something to draw them in.

I like to use a lot of big words and long sentences so nobody realizes I don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, whatever, the LP is fine by me and it doesn't seem like you're just trying to get more views. Goons hate being tricked into pumping your metrics - it makes them feel less like cognoscenti and/or connoisseurs.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Yeah, dark souls in 2D does capture it pretty well, I bought the game after watching the first vid and it does scratch the same kind of itch in hard mode

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

FluffySquirrel posted:

Yeah, dark souls in 2D does capture it pretty well, I bought the game after watching the first vid and it does scratch the same kind of itch in hard mode

Apparently there's an insane mode you can unlock after beating the game. In that mode, you start off with 1-hit kill and I THINK if you get all the health ups, you can survive a second in some cases. Not sure on that.

Going to be recording the next episode shortly once a faster hdd arrives.

For those just tuning in, I update a new video every Saturday at 11am EST so that'll be the next one haha.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Quick question, as I paused playing 4 in favour of playing the previous 3 first. Do any of the bosses in 3 drop special items if you beat them without damage, or is that solely a 4 thing?

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

FluffySquirrel posted:

Quick question, as I paused playing 4 in favour of playing the previous 3 first. Do any of the bosses in 3 drop special items if you beat them without damage, or is that solely a 4 thing?

It's solely a 4 thing.

I did LPs of the first three games if you want 100% guides (there are some REALLY stupid missables in the first game).

However, as tips for 100%'ing 3 blind...

If you want 100% you gotta do it fast (as I recall it's beating the grave zone in <25 mins?), always talk to the custom music girl until she runs out of dialogue, give the owl badge to her after beating the garden/bug boss, and check the area above the storekeeper in the first zone (there are invisible platforms) for a really badly hidden item.

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

New episode out!

In this one, I defeat an absurdly difficult boss without getting hit and make progress into Hellzone!

Also get an interesting powerup for my bow and see the return of an old friend...

(If peeps have suggestions for going right or down... I'd like to hear them!)

Horikawa Otane fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 21, 2016

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Before it got patched the Bakman patch was actually pretty broken. If you had Edea's pearl equipped, poison would be added to each Bakman causing far more damage then it should have.

Also it doesn't matter which way you go from here because they both lead to the same place.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kinda sucks that after all that you just got the item you had before :v:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

On the plus side you get 4 uses instead of just 2, so in a non-hard setting that would be pretty sweet.

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

New episode out!

In this episode I defeat a FIRE DEMON. And sing. Briefly. >_>. Also we get to see, frankly, the prettiest part of the game so far. At least in my opinion.

The game is getting more intense in some ways - and I still think the puzzle on how you get out of the Cinder Chambers is a little bit opaque, but maybe I am just a ditz - it wouldn't surprise me!

(I apologize for the delay posting it here - I was a big ol' nerd at a science fiction convention and had no [real] internet access until like yesterday. I had the episode uploaded on schedule, but couldn't update this thread until recently)

Combat Lobster posted:

Before it got patched the Bakman patch was actually pretty broken. If you had Edea's pearl equipped, poison would be added to each Bakman causing far more damage then it should have.

Also it doesn't matter which way you go from here because they both lead to the same place.

Someone had mentioned that there was some way to make it pretty broken. I'm glad to see it was patched haha. I was a little worried I'd stumble across it and break the game like I did in Momodora 3.

SSNeoman posted:

Kinda sucks that after all that you just got the item you had before :v:

Combat Lobster posted:

On the plus side you get 4 uses instead of just 2, so in a non-hard setting that would be pretty sweet.

I actually sent the author, rdein, a message on twitter poking fun at him for this. He said he was sorry :P. It's kinda hilarious because apparently she's like one of the hardest bosses in the game and she's also apparently the ONLY one that gives you a duplicate item for completing her no-hit. I kiiiinda legit think it was rdein trolling to be entirely honest.

Horikawa Otane fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 1, 2016

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Alright! New episode out!

In this one, I got SWIMMING and find a Duck. A nasty, nasty duck.

Next time I get to go either to garden village or fight the duck in water town.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Huh. your progression is going wildly different than how mine went

I met boss duck way before going down into the cinder zone

I also got chumped by the laser which seems to have a really hard to notice tell

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Could you use that Necklace of Sacrifice + Bloodstained Missive + Drilling arrows to just burn down the boss? She attacks pretty slowly so you should be able to just roll past here and the drilling arrows should kill her dogs too.

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

SSNeoman posted:

Could you use that Necklace of Sacrifice + Bloodstained Missive + Drilling arrows to just burn down the boss? She attacks pretty slowly so you should be able to just roll past here and the drilling arrows should kill her dogs too.

Hmm... It's a good idea. And yeah, with the drilling arrows that'd be a good solution to kill the dogs...

I'll definitely be trying this out when I fight them again!

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Episode 7

New episode out!

In this one, we fight not one - but TWO bosses. And finally get the freaking "Morph Ball"

Also we find a way to break the game like omfg.

SSNeoman posted:

It turned out you were right by the way!

Horikawa Otane fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 11, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I figured. Japanese games are big on sacrificing your health for power boosts.

I'm kinda surprised they let you stack those together.

I was honestly annoyed how long the default arrow charge is. I'm glad there's a power that reduces it.

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

SSNeoman posted:

I figured. Japanese games are big on sacrificing your health for power boosts.

I'm kinda surprised they let you stack those together.

I was honestly annoyed how long the default arrow charge is. I'm glad there's a power that reduces it.

Yeah, agreed on the charge thing. I think it was largely intended to be your first powerup haha. I just kinda... Did things in reverse order accidentally, I guess.

However, I am almost entirely certain that the game is not Japanese. It simply appears that way (and is clearly inspired by some aspects of Japanese game design). rdein is Brazilian or something, I think? There's rather a lot of enemies in Momodora 1-3 that are based on Portuguese words, so that's sort of my guess.

I know that the Japanese version of Momodora: RUtM was translated from English into Japanese by Playism, rather than being the source text.

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
I'm surprised that you can commit suicide by using enough Tainted Missives. o_O I expected them to leave you at 1HP.

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Episode 8

New episode out!

I hope you can hear the background music fine - there's a HUGE discrepancy between my headphones and laptop speakers!

Beyond that - in this episode, an old relative shows up to, uhh, kill us. I can't say I ENTIRELY blame them. BOY were they hard though - but fun. Learnable and hectic is a good combination imho!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Horikawa Otane posted:

However, I am almost entirely certain that the game is not Japanese. It simply appears that way (and is clearly inspired by some aspects of Japanese game design). rdein is Brazilian or something, I think? There's rather a lot of enemies in Momodora 1-3 that are based on Portuguese words, so that's sort of my guess.

I know that the Japanese version of Momodora: RUtM was translated from English into Japanese by Playism, rather than being the source text.

Oh huh didn't know that. Yeah fooled me cause of the art style, game mechanics and being sold on Playism.

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

New episode out!

In this episode, we finish up the nega-verse and FINALLY begin to explore Karst Castle! We get to meet some new people - and find a nice throwback to Momodora 1!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

New episode out!

Just in time for the SGDQ run on Tuesday - another episode of Momo4.

On this one, we fight the second to last boss of the game - the Duchess Lupiar and the Royal Huntress Magnolia. However, they're... A bit brutal and unfair in my opinion.

Maybe I was missing something, but... This recording took LITERALLY 3.5 hours so... I'm not a fan of these guys haha.

Onward to the final boss!

• Locked thread