Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Iron Man

Two games based on the 2008 film "Iron Man" were created. One of them for the PS3/Xbox 360, and one for the PS2/Wii. They bombed. People hated them. Was it deserved? In short, no. The seventh gen game was a somewhat unique arena-based third-person shooter that expanded on the themes and characters from the film, going so far as to tie them directly into the gameplay. I feel it's a wonderfully made title that has insurmountable spirit. On the other hand, the PS2/Wii version is an exceedingly average linear shooter, lacking the creative design choices, difficulty, or narrative punch of its counterpart. Neither of them will give you cancer.

So what are we doing here?

We'll be playing both games side by side. This way, not only can you get two LPs for the price of one, but I can show you exactly how a good licensed game is made(PS3 version), in comparison to a sub-par one (PS2 version), using the same license. Really, how often does an opportunity for such a perfect study come up?

Anything else I should know?

I will be playing through the PS3 version with all the suit upgrades already bought, and explain their various functions where necessary. This is to minimize the repetition of the longer stages, and really no other reason.

With that out of the way, let's suit up.

Thank you for watching!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Graphically I much prefer the PS2 one, unless the PS3 gets into shape soon. Gray on brown on gray doesn't impress.

Still, this looks like an interesting experiment.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Graphically I much prefer the PS2 one, unless the PS3 gets into shape soon. Gray on brown on gray doesn't impress.

Still, this looks like an interesting experiment.

The rest of the locations are more impressive for both, but the reason the PS2 version may look better right now is because I tripled its saturation levels so I could actually see.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

This sounds interesting. I think the only other movie tie-in game I've heard described as 'good' is the Wolverine Origins one, and that was probably at least in part because the movie was so bad.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

This sounds interesting. I think the only other movie tie-in game I've heard described as 'good' is the Wolverine Origins one, and that was probably at least in part because the movie was so bad.

You just haven't been around me nearly long enough, then.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yvonmukluk posted:

that was probably at least in part because the movie was so bad.

Nah, the X-Men Origins: Wolverine game is legitimately insanely dope. Raven Software, the Jedi Knight/Soldier of Fortune guys, made it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Nah, the X-Men Origins: Wolverine game is legitimately insanely dope. Raven Software, the Jedi Knight/Soldier of Fortune guys, made it.

They did? That's kinda nuts.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Spiderman 2, the PS2 version.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
I gotta say, the idea of introducing you to your abilities through having Yinsen upload the control programs to the suit one by one is actually quite clever.

Some of Tony's dialogue could be better read though.

So far the PS3 version is coming out superior for me. Yinsen's throwaway death in the PS2 version was just insulting.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SilverGryphon posted:

I gotta say, the idea of introducing you to your abilities through having Yinsen upload the control programs to the suit one by one is actually quite clever.

Some of Tony's dialogue could be better read though.

So far the PS3 version is coming out superior for me. Yinsen's throwaway death in the PS2 version was just insulting.

I think it's hilarious that they didn't even stop the song during Yinsen's death.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Spiderman 2, the PS2 version.

D'oh! I knew I forgot something.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I also recall Spiderman 1 as being good, but last time I played it was many years ago.
I'm also pretty sure I could never beat it without cheats.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

There are a lot of good games based on films if you know where to look.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I liked the "Captain America: Super Soldier" game, too. Sure, it may have been "Arkham Asylum-lite" , but punching Hydra grunts in the face and whipping the shield around was a good time.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Quiet Python posted:

I liked the "Captain America: Super Soldier" game, too. Sure, it may have been "Arkham Asylum-lite" , but punching Hydra grunts in the face and whipping the shield around was a good time.

That one was reasonably good yeah

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So is this all the introduction the game gives us to the story? If you didn't see the movie, you just have no idea what's happening?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tiggum posted:

So is this all the introduction the game gives us to the story? If you didn't see the movie, you just have no idea what's happening?

I'm not sure it's that difficult to figure out. You know they kidnapped Tony to make weapons for them, you know Tony makes weapons, which is all you need right now.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Also, why on earth would anyone buy a movie tie-in game without seeing the movie?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ninjahedgehog posted:

Also, why on earth would anyone buy a movie tie-in game without seeing the movie?

I may have done that a couple times.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I was really excited to show you guys the "actual" gameplay.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We're not drunk I swear Rhodey get fof ourfuckgin back

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
PS3 version, the Maggia fight - this Viber notification sound that they keep playing is just insufferable. Who came up with that idea?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

PS3 version, the Maggia fight - this Viber notification sound that they keep playing is just insufferable. Who came up with that idea?

Viber notification? I don't know what that means, but maybe I've just gotten used to it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Viber notification? I don't know what that means, but maybe I've just gotten used to it.

The sequence of three bell rings that the game keeps playing.
Dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun...

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

The sequence of three bell rings that the game keeps playing.
Dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun...

Maybe I am actually deaf to that specific sound.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I may be the one person who played this (PS2 version) without having seen the movie. It was at a friend's place while I was housesitting for him, and it was relatively easy to get into. It got boring after a few missions, so I never finished it. I think it also made me kind of leery of watching the movie, since it didn't seem that interesting based on the mangled bits you get from the game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kangra posted:

I may be the one person who played this (PS2 version) without having seen the movie. It was at a friend's place while I was housesitting for him, and it was relatively easy to get into. It got boring after a few missions, so I never finished it. I think it also made me kind of leery of watching the movie, since it didn't seem that interesting based on the mangled bits you get from the game.

The repetition sets in fairly quickly.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How many American soldiers have you killed today, Tony?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
So that's how you sound when you're irritated.

E: I'm pretty sure that it's the health meter of the boss.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 25, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

So that's how you sound when you're irritated.

E: I'm pretty sure that it's the health meter of the boss.

I'll try to confirm that through testing.

I try not to get irritated but particular level is painful. If the entire game were that bad it may be able to compete with Deep Black.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It is indeed the health of the bosses. Hopefully you can understand my confusion, because the Dreadnought had a heartbeat for its health bar like the human enemies.

Also the health bar looks similar to the one we use in Iron Man in seventh gen.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So where is your health bar in the PS2 version? Or do you just get a B-B-B-BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL instead?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

So where is your health bar in the PS2 version? Or do you just get a B-B-B-BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL instead?

I think it's just the armor indicator on your power re-router? I haven't died enough in the PS2 version to pay attention.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I like both levels this time!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Probably my favorite levels in both games.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
I'm really enjoying this comparison of the two games. It's interesting to me that they're using the same cutscenes, and some of the same dialogue, but they clearly had enough independent control to change important plot points and progression between the two.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Skrewtape posted:

I'm really enjoying this comparison of the two games. It's interesting to me that they're using the same cutscenes, and some of the same dialogue, but they clearly had enough independent control to change important plot points and progression between the two.

Opportunities like this rarely come up.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The story starts really kicking off now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I kinda appreciate the PS2's interior sections much more than its exterior ones.

• Locked thread