Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Problem description: I'm trying to install XUbuntu on a Thinkpad T42. Downloaded the ISO and created a bootable USB drive using LiveUSB. The USB is recognized by Windows XP, but not by the BIOS when I try to boot to it. It just boots Windows XP instead. When I press F12 and brings up the "boot menu", the USB HDD is not listed as an option for booting.

Attempted fixes: Changed the boot order so that the USB boots first. When that did not work, I went to support.lenovo.com and installed the latest BIOS update. When that did not work, I replaced the bootable XUbuntu with a bootable Ubuntu and tried using Wubi, but on restart it booted right back into Windows again.

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system: Windows XP (Pro) Version 2002 Service Pack 3

System specs: Lenovo Thinkpad T42 Model 2373. Pentium M 1.70GHz, 2GB RAM.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Your CPU doesn't meet the Xubuntu system requirements because it doesn't support PAE. I'm not sure if this is related to why the BIOS won't even try to boot from your installation media, but the system generally being too old to be supported may well be.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Alereon posted:

Your CPU doesn't meet the Xubuntu system requirements because it doesn't support PAE. I'm not sure if this is related to why the BIOS won't even try to boot from your installation media, but the system generally being too old to be supported may well be.

Thank you for catching that. It wasn't the problem, but it helped. I eventually bypassed the issue by burning an older version of XUbuntu that does support PAE into a DVD and booting from there.

It's nice to have a laptop that's robust enough to last forever and cheap enough that if I leave to take a dump in a cafe I'm not worried too much about having it stolen.

• Locked thread