Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The main problem I think a lot of people are going to have with this thread is that your account and OP are pretty blatantly set up to be an advertisement for your youtube channel. You've basically never made a post outside of this thread, your avatar is your channel's logo, and your OP immediately introduces you as the host of a channel and is full of mentions of all the cool things on it. Even if your videos are really good, this thread has a pretty strong feeling of advertising, which is generally frowned upon here.

Also, 36 videos is way too many to dump at the start of a thread. Most video LPs here don't start with more than three, if that.

I fully agree with this.

Another note is that your intros on games are... rather unique, for a letsplay. I haven't ever seen something like that, it looks more like a game review video. However, those parts are not about you promoting yourself, like many youtube intros are, they are actually about the game. Points for that.

The thing is - I think people come to this subforum for seeing the gameplay. If you talk about a game's history during the gameplay, that's fine. But it takes a really long time before you even get started, and I don't really want to wait that long, and skipping to the right place in the video isn't a good solution either.

I find it hard to make concrete suggestions. Your LP doesn't seem bad, the LP parts by themselves, at least the little I've seen, would do fine on these forums. And perhaps there is a public out there for your 'combined' videos.

Okay, have some suggestions anyway:

- Drop any mentions of your channel and what you've done in the past. We don't care. You'll need to show us new stuff and if you're good, people will just start following you by themselves. People here see even those slight mentions in your OP as advertising.

- Start a thread with the intention of doing an LP just for SA. Of course you can post it on your youtube channel for your other subscribers, but think about what the people want here. Start a thread with just one video (so no youtube dumps) and then post an update once or twice a week, depending on the length of the videos. I, and many others here, literally don't have the time to watch a letsplayer's new videos if there's a new one EVERY DAY. It's way too much.

- To make the videos more interesting to watch, combine your intro with the actual LP. Make a list of informative stuff you want to say in advance, bring it up during the playthrough, and if you're talking about stuff like box art, well, you can always have it pop up on the side of the screen for a second during the LP. I'm not gonna watch a 10 min intro before the gameplay even begins.

OR, just keep doing your thing, but accept that the people in this forum may not be interested. The entire reason I'm making this long post is because I do see a lot of potential in what you're making, it's just not the kind of thing people visit these forums for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edit: Update on last page

So, I decided to take some time to check out the earlier vids you did in the Kirby eries. Some comments:

- Holy crap those old puzzle games are annoying, especially the pinball one. I couldn't watch through all that and I'm surprised you didn't give up at some point.

- In one of the vids it was said that the very first game was short and you could play through in no more than a few hours. While that is true, Kirby's Dreamland was one of the first games I had as a little kid and I was bad at games, and I spent months if not years playing that game every so often trying to finally beat it. And I did, in the end. As a kid I never managed to finish most other Gameboy games I had. Super Mario Land was just too hard.

I also remember my cousin, who's my age or just slightly older, also had Kirby's Dreamland and I was completely convinced that if two people had the same game and you connected them with the link cable, something special would happen. He kept telling me it wouldn't, and I just didn't believe him.

- Did one of you seriously claim that salty water conducts electricity worse than regular water because the salt "blocks the flow" or something? Holy crap. Water by itself cannot conduct electricity, distilled water is an electrical insulator. It's dissolved ions (charged particles) that flow around conducting electricity. And how do you get ions? By dissolving salts. The reason tap water conducts well is because it already contains plenty of ions, compared to distilled water. And ocean water conducts even better, because it contains a lot more ions.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 1, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Kirby's Dreamland was tough for me too, because I sucked at Kabula. I beat Dedede on my third try though but I always had a friend beat Kabula for me.

Shine and Bright are the only tag team boss in the series, right? The rest of them you basically fight one-on-one, don't you?

I had more trouble with Kracko. And of course, Lololo and Lalala are also a double fight.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

At that boss, coudln't you use the Stone power because it's a boss level... or because you already had the bouncy power going when you pressed the button?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah you guys kept complaining about how long this game is, but it really isn't that bad. Beating the pinball game is much more annoying because it's so much more luck-dependent.

Even unlocking the final stage of Block Ball isn't that hard: you can just pop back into an earlier stage, pick up a power and leave, so you never have to enter a stage without a powerup. Needle lets you aim from the paddle at any time. Rock lets you fall straight down while fireball shoots you straight up. Even if you can't use them effectively to smash through a crapload of bricks, you can use them to very specifically set your position, removing most of the randomness of the angles. It still takes a bit of practice but it's perfectly doable. Also, those random power-up roulettes are slow enough so that you can just pick whatever you want.

I brought up the sex line thing you talked about elsewhere, and someone noted that in the mid-90s, 1-800-BIG-BOOB happened to belong to a monastery. They weren't pleased when they found out what letters their number made.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

While Canvas Curve is an okay game and Epic Yarn is also great.... I'm kind of a sucker for the classic platformer, eat-and-gain-powers Kirby gameplay. I hadn't heard of this new game yet, but watching that video, it looks like they got all the puzzle pieces right. That mecha is fantastic.

It does seem they use a lot of good ideas from other (Nintendo) games, but I'm not sure how much of that is on purpose. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, though!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Do all of the powers have that many pages of attacks, or is it just Fight simulating a fighting game?

In the former case, I'd like to see some more super hyper power combos.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'll catch up with the vids later, but I'm just glad you guys aren't dead/didn't forget about this thread.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ricdesi posted:

THAAAAAT makes sense. Triple Deluxe is the only other 3DS game, so it using the game's sense of depth totally works.

It was funny when you said "I don't know what the name Triple Deluxe refers to", while it's the most obvious pun of 3D, and so the 3DS.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Please kill off Kirby so he can try out some other powers - such as finding out if raygun is a new power or just beam. Your love for mirror is impeding your ability to show everything this game has to offer.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, a classic 'The End?'. I wonder if the true ending can be any cooler than what we've seen so far.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'd like to see you cheese those earlier bosses with all the level-ups you got since then.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, I have no idea how Satellaview worked. Did users need a paid subscription? Did they pay per game?

And most relevant: did they pay money for this set of minigames?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Psst, you forgot to show off the secret areas in Dyna Blade. I know they aren't that interesting but COMPLETIONISM.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it unlocking or visiting the secret areas in Dynablade that counts? Because they did the former.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe the thing in the logo is supposed to be Meta Knight's cape?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Forest Temple - serious answer: anything with melon liqueur. If you feel like revisiting your college days, jello shots. Comedy option: Absinthe :v:

Fire Temple - yea

Water Temple - Blue Lagoon (anything with blue curacao really)

Shadow Temple - Black Russian

Spirit Temple - Something with Bailey's. Or Tequila.

Water Temple: Se(a)men - 1/2 shot blue curacao, 1/2 shot goldstrike, fill up with 7-up

Shadow Temple: Salmiakki/licorice liquor

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, you guys are still playing Star Stacker? I think I'm gonna tune out until the next game. There's only so many blocks you can watch fall down before it gets boring.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ricdesi posted:

She reminds me a lot of the hopping girl enemy from Super Mario Land too, if I'm honest. Never really understood that enemy...

Hopping girl? The hopping enemy in Super Mario Land is a Jiangshi, a chinese vampire.

And of course they hop. Their body is stiff from being dead all that time, why would you think a being like that could walk? And if you stomp on them they just come back alive after a few seconds.

Nintendo's official artwork:

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 1, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

According to the Kirby wiki (because of course there is), those are Batamon (no relation), and only appear in Dream Land 3. I'm not sure what you're thinking of from that game, unless it's the Kirby species.

Also, did you know there was a Dream Land 3 manga? Because I didn't.

You have to touch the fake Kirbies in the final level of the first game to destroy the Gordos protecting the doors to the boss rematches.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Psst, part 15 has the title screen of part 14.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Have you considered to 100% this game to show off the other version of the ending?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 18 was the best for showing a whole bunch of never-before-seen power combos in a short period of time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

Impressive, you guys had an easier time with the collection aspect of this game than I thought you would.

Since they ditched the multiple ending aspect the only other games where you have to go out of your way for collectibles are Squeak Squad and Mass Attack (where eventually you'll reach a point where you literally cannot progress any further in the game without them) also the 3DS games to a lesser extent where you need to collect a set number of items in each world in order to unlock the boss of that area. In every other Kirby game besides those the collectibles are completely optional aside from unlocking bonus content.

Maybe, but I'm convinced the D-Pad is cool enough to 100% the games anyway.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Holy crap. I'm only 2 minutes in, I'll watch the rest in a bit. But I just have to say - normally facecams aren't welcome here unless they're for a good reason.

And this is a VERY good reason. :D

Well done. I salute you, sir.

Well, after I manage to stop laughing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I just want to note that apparently, 20 minutes from now, they're gonna speedrun Tilt 'n' Tumble at AGDQ... with a Gamecube and instead of a controller, a DDR pad. That might be the solution you're looking for, ricdesi.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Oooooooh, I like that! It means that Kirby leans in the direction you do, not bad at all! My only concern there is that's a digital input instead of a more analog, tilt-friendly mechanic. But it's definitely a solid alternative...

Uh, that's not quite what happened. He controlled the game by holding the GameCube just like you guys do, and he used the DDR pad for A button pressed and stuff.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rick continuing being the best at video games.

I expect you to clear at least one world per episode from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

:eng101: According to the wiki, the eyeball boss is called OBSERVOR.

• Locked thread